Author Topic: Free weights or a home gym?  (Read 6867 times)

stockykid

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
Free weights or a home gym?
« on: December 30, 2005, 03:11:15 PM »
I have a birthday coming up and was wondering which i should ask for, Free weights or a Home gym. I have heard free weights are better but havent really heard anything about a home gym.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Free weights or a home gym?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 04:13:13 PM »
if it cant cost too much you can do pretty much with a chins bar a barbell and some weights, especially if you're a kid as your nick says and havent worked out so much before
Z

stockykid

• Getbig I
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 05:45:15 PM »
i have worked out alot though. There are some home gym sets that have bench press, lat pull downs , legs, curls , shoulder workouts and butterfly. The ones i saw were from 150 to 300 and were pretty good. They had at least 200 pounds of weight too.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 06:43:28 PM »
Adjustable barbell and a solid bench with rack that can be used for benches or squats.

Or-just as good, more options..

Multi-exercise machine & adjustable dumbbells. Powertec WB-LS unit or Bowflex.
Not so expensive bought used-check craigslist.org in your area every few days.

http://www.powertecfitness.com/workbench_lev_gym.htm

http://www.bowflex.com/mMachineDetail.asp?productID=6800013&productName=Sport%26%23153%3B&linkID=6

Loomis

• Getbig III
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 09:27:59 PM »
gotta go free-weights ;)

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 04:12:57 PM »

You're kidding right?  ::)

cut him some slack.....

I am sure he uses one everyday

;)

Cheap home gyms are just that....cheap.  In most cases you'll never use it. 

Unless your getting a real expensive homegym (one thats multi-functional @ $1400 or more in price)...just stick with an adjustable F.I.D bench & some free weights.  You're not going to find a good $300 home gym unless it's a used piece.  You're just starting out so keep it simple.

Pumpster has a good idea...check out craigslist.com   You might find something half way decent there.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005, 04:51:24 PM »
I could see that coming; there are always a few stuck on weights. Unless you've experienced using one, better to keep an open mind in '06.

Bowflex is excellent. I've lifted weights for decades. I use a Bowflex along with weights and pulleys in a home gym. The feel is somewhat different but just as good; some prefer it's intense feel and smoothness and the ease with which you can train to failure with no risk. Models above $700 are solid-very little difference if any from more expensive 1-2K machines in build quality, which is why they're popular. The cheaper Bows have the same feel but aren't as sturdy. There are a number of personal trainers that swear by them for their customers. Sure you can use free weights and a bench but i've done that before and didn't have the same number of exercise options doing that and there was the safety factor training alone with weights as well as issues with space.

The best combo is adjustable dumbbells with either a Bowflex or pulley system, from my experience, given issues with space and the wider choice of exercises.

Don't be fooled just because they have to advertise to overweight schlubbs.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005, 05:17:39 PM »
I could see that coming; there are always a few stuck on weights. Unless you've experienced using one, better to keep an open mind in '06.

Bowflex is excellent. I've lifted weights for decades. I use a Bowflex along with weights and pulleys in a home gym. The feel is somewhat different but just as good; some might prefer it's intense feel and smoothness and the ease with which you can train to failure with no risk. Models above $700 are solid-very little difference if any from more expensive 1-2K machines in build quality, which is why they're popular. The cheaper Bows have the same feel but aren't as sturdy. There are a number of personal trainers that swear by them for their customers. Sure you can use free weights and a bench but i've done that before and didn't have the same number of exercise options doing that and there was the safety factor training alone with weights as well as issues with space.

Don't be fooled just because they advertise to masses interested in fitness.

I've used them all....& I still wouldn't recommend the purchse.

Unless someone gets one second hand & cheap (or close to free)....forget about it.

Just my opinion.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005, 05:19:14 PM »
There are pros and cons with each option, but it's basically a matter of taste. I used state of the art Nautilus machines in the 70s and prefer a Bowflex. I also used a simple bench and free weights and prefer a Bowflex for the greater number of options available as well as the ability to train to failure without any risk. The only thing comparable is a multi-exercise weight station or a power rack, free weights and a bench. Not a big difference in price, especially if buying used.

Bowflexes are popular for a number of reasons; it's not just hype. There are pros and cons to any setup, and this is a winner.

Very good prices on used Bowflexes and weights on craigslist.org. Worth being patient and checking every few days using the search function. Avoid getting a used Bowflex Power Pro model, which was the original cheaply made model that is responsible for the subsequent bad rep re: quality. The newer models are solid, not far off from gym equipment.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005, 05:38:53 PM »
Unless you can qualify why, then it's just rhetoric. I've been there done it, have used various systems dating back to the 70s, and recommend it.

Fact is they're immensely popular for a number of reasons. There are pros and cons to any setup, but this is a winner.

Facts

a - alot of plastic is being used (plastic covered cables - plastic pulleys).  Plastic all over this machine.  Parts get old & snap.  I've seen snapped rods & rod ends.  Broken seat & seat rails.

b - thin gauge metal (13 gauge is the heaviest thickness) very shaky in it's connections where the metal comes together.  Cheap tube construction allows for cheap manufacturing but it's thin nature makes for a very shaky design in the movement of the leg & lat tower.

c - foam rollers deteriorate in time.  Loosely fitted & poorly attached.

d - Biomechanics - terrible!  Points of resistance are to low for the average user.  Bowflex was selling a chest extension as an option (should have come attached with the machine).  The rods are not a very fluid movement.  The Leg press movement is terrible & difficult to get into position.  The squat postion is even worse. 

e - easy of use.  Early models required attaching cables to the lat & the leg ext/leg curl apparatus.  Not easy for the beginner exerciser or women.  Newer version is a little easier but stick lacks typical easy of use like a seceltorized weight stack.  Most novice users can't figure out how to use the equipment.

d - Recalls....how many recalls has this product have on it?  I know of three different ones currently active.  One is for the pulleys snapping & coming loose where they connect to the frame.  The second is the Lat Tower coming loose & falling down.  The third is the back rest support coming loose & snapping.

I can keep going if you want.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005, 05:40:54 PM »
See my last post-all the problems were related to the badly designed initial Power Pro model. Doesn't apply to newer versions. The plastic should never have been there and has been replaced with metal on new models.

Biomechanics are excellent-I have weights and pulleys and still use a Bow exactly because of the great feel and burn. There is no other way that i can do pulley flys in a small space, could never do this in a small room with weight pulleys.

It takes only a few workouts to become familiar with cable changes that take 15 seconds. Second nature in no time.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005, 05:42:17 PM »
See my last post-all the problems were related to the badly designed initial Power Pro model. Doesn't apply to newer versions.

Some of mine still apply to the newer model

Where's your proof?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2005, 05:44:20 PM »
Your perceptions haven't kept up with reality.

Proof is 5 years use with their their initial and new models, and direct comparisons with free weights. No quality problems with the new models, and excellent workouts. Beside pulley flys that are awesome, squats on it are intense, much safer, don't require squat racks and take up very little space.

I can go to 400 lb. on squats and then add more resistance if needed. I used free weight squats for at least 10 years until my knees started to feel them more than i do on this.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2005, 05:45:22 PM »

Biomechanics are excellent

that says it all right there about your understanding of Bio-Mechanics

My arguing with you is pointless

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2005, 05:47:30 PM »
Biomechanics is a cute term that i'm probably more versed with than you. Bottom line is the end result on the muscle. Also, the resistance curve varies from one form of resistance to another and each has it's own pros and cons, exercises that slightly favor one over the other. On the whole it's not that important.

Open your mind. Very predictable reaction.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2005, 05:50:53 PM »
I first trained in a hard core gym as a teen ager with a couple of guys who placed in the Universe. I've seen every possible system including 70s hard-core gyms much like Gironda's right here in NYC.

Open your mind. Very very predictable reaction.

Mind is open

used this equipment before & use it every now & then

it's very...very marginal

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2005, 05:52:41 PM »
Nope. Like most who disparage, you haven't kept up with design changes. Lazily relying on years-old perceptions. Just a matter of being open minded.

Remember for the nu year...

"Resistance is resistance".

Biomechanically there is no perfect system-they have different, imperfect resistance curves. Nautilus arguably came the closest but i wasn't impressed. Each has a different resistance curve which helps for certain exercises, but bottom line it comes down to how the muscles react during and after exercise.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2005, 05:53:31 PM »
Nope. Just a matter of being open minded.

Remember for the nu year...

"Resistance is resistance".

Biomechanically there is no perfect system. Nautilus tried, and i wasn't impressed. Basically it comes down to how the muscles feel during the exercise and after.

How about if the machine actually gets used?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2005, 06:01:06 PM »
Most schlubbs never use any exercise equipment so there's a big used market.

SupplementGuy

• Getbig III
  • I'm the kind of a person who's the type of dog...
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2006, 09:11:23 PM »
Free weights and compound movements 1
Bowflex 0

Don't even tell me for a second the guy in the commercial is that cut from 20mins a workout on his trusty bowflex.

SG  ::)

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2006, 02:18:18 AM »
I realize that you know better than everyone else and only weights are the best. Boring. The guys in the commercials use a Bowflex and free weights, which provides wider options. Exactly what i've found.

For bodybuilding, isolation movements are as good or better. Compounds are better for sports applications.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2006, 07:27:32 AM »
If money is problem you can get an Olympic bar and plates fairly cheap at Walmart.  You can supplement that with a bench and squat racks.  These three items is what the majority of the strongest men in the world use for equipment.  Anything else is just icing on the cake.

Do you think that the models used to sell Bow Flex lifted weights for their physique? I wonder if it was the first time they touched a bow flex prior to the photo or commercial shoot.  ;)  Think about "power rod" or rubber band machines.  How much resistence is there in the beginning of the movement?  Half of the rep is easy and the other half is hard.  Is this a proper resistence curve?  I know some Nauitlus rep watching posts will counter that free weights have there own resistance curve problems but one fact is undisputable.  The strongest men in the world have used the lowly barbell. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2006, 07:31:19 AM »
What a surprise that Odltimer lives up to his name with predictable words. Lifting large rocks are also likely on his short list.

People firmly rooted in the new millenium can be open-minded.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2006, 07:36:40 AM »
Your praise of Bowflex  tells me everything I need to know about your knowledge of strength training.  Yes, lifting rocks is better than bowflex.