Author Topic: Anyone else hate leg presses?  (Read 6682 times)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
Anyone else hate leg presses?
« on: January 02, 2006, 01:27:48 PM »
20+ years in the gym now, and I've NEVER been able to make 'em routine. Just can't feel them like I should. And if you're already squatting, is there really any point?

Yet they are popular. So what don't I get?

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: Anyone else hate leg presses?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006, 01:36:51 PM »
if you can squat properly i dont think youre missing anything. i use them from time to time, it's pretty convenient (well except for loading them full of weights  ::))
Z

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006, 01:48:29 PM »
it's pretty convenient (well except for loading them full of weights  ::))

Another reason.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006, 01:52:06 PM »
They are less exhausting than squats, so some take the easy way. Squats are still the best with leg presses a nice complement afterwards, but you can do without.

Some aren't comfortable doing squats, some aren't comfortable doing leg presses. Hard to believe anyone can't be comfortable doing squats but some claim that. More likely it's too hard!  :'( You don't get the same over-all body effect with just leg presses.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006, 02:32:33 PM »
They are less exhausting than squats, so some take the easy way.... More likely it's too hard!

Always felt this way, too. But I dig squats. Very little thinking involved, like benching.

I only press when my back's too twisted to squat ... though I can't pretend it's not JUST an alternative.

LatsMcGee

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 02:32:39 PM »
Leg Presses seem to have a nasty effect of making my waist look bigger than it really is.  I prefer the Squat and variations on it rather than the leg press.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 02:44:35 PM »
I like them to warm up before squats... 2 or 3 light weight sets with high reps helps to loosen everything up.
I also like them at the end of leg training, just to fill my pump up a little more. But I agree with everyone, they in no way can replace traditional squats.

SuperMike3288

• Getbig III
  • Up, up, and away!
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006, 07:22:26 PM »
I like leg presses a lot! I did squats for a long time and then switched my routine up with leg presses. I'm deffinately going back to leg presses but I like I have some decent wheels from doing leg presses!
Intensity; the measure of man

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006, 07:31:19 PM »
Sorry bro but you have some work to do. No. 1 suggestion for the nu year is box squats, followed by leg presses. That's right-both in the same workout, starting with squats!

Get to work on those calves, too.. :o

Overall, get ready for serious work..

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006, 08:03:53 PM »
I agree with those above that say leg presses should follow squats.  Personally I don't think you can get a complete leg routine built on leg presses but if you have bad hips or knees, smith squats or hack squats (or squat machines) can suffice.  Really, squating is a challenge that should be met with enthusiasm, real gyms have a squat puke bucket and a steel park-style bench off the squat cages for some between set resting. 

Squating aside, optimizing leg presses, IMO, means going deep and wide and really squeezing out the extra reps.  Back in the day we used to warm up with 8 plates on each side of a Nebula for 40 reps, working up to 16 each side for 4 or 6, knees to the chest.  Nebula is only 40 deg. though :).

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006, 08:11:41 PM »
Sorry bro but you have some work to do. No. 1 suggestion for the nu year is box squats, followed by leg presses. That's right-both in the same workout, starting with squats!

Get to work on those calves, too.. :o

Overall, get ready for serious work..
he's like 18..thats damn good wheels for being 18!
follow the arrows

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006, 08:23:15 PM »
Patting oneself on the back at any age is still pretty lame if the idea's to rise above average. Some 18 year olds have already put in the work and look very good.

New Years' resolution: Serious work on box squats followed by leg press, not one or the other. Squats are the foundation, not something to be done sometimes. Leg press is the perfect complement in busting a gut, putting in the work. Then congratulate yourself next year..8)

Borracho

• Getbig V
  • Waking up is possible if ur tired of the dream....
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006, 08:48:36 PM »
A leg day just isn't the same without squats. Having said that I haven't squatted in like 4 weeks LOL. I've begun prioritizing hams on leg days so I start off with SLDL which is pretty taxing to the body when done heavy and with good form. I want my hams to catch up to my quads so thats my excuse for skipping squats and doing the leg press instead.  :P

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006, 09:07:25 PM »
A leg day just isn't the same without squats. Having said that I haven't squatted in like 4 weeks LOL. I've begun prioritizing hams on leg days so I start off with SLDL which is pretty taxing to the body when done heavy and with good form. I want my hams to catch up to my quads so thats my excuse for skipping squats and doing the leg press instead.  :P
Try splitting up your leg training. One day a wk hit quads, and a few days later hit hams. I started doing this about 8 months ago to give my hams more attention.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006, 09:09:44 PM »
A split like that could be considered along with other options, but stick to at least 2 workouts per muscle per week to optimize growth.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2006, 09:34:25 PM »
Try splitting up your leg training. One day a wk hit quads, and a few days later hit hams. I started doing this about 8 months ago to give my hams more attention.

Thanks for the tip. I usually change up my whole routine every 8-12 weeks and I'll be doing that next as I have in the past.

A split like that could be considered along with other options, but stick to at least 2 workouts per muscle per week to optimize growth.

I'm focusing on my main weaknesses which are calves and bi's. This is what my current routine looks like

day1- chest, bis, side delts
day2- back, rear delts, calves
day3- off
day4- bis, tris, and calves
day5- legs
day6- off
day7-back to day 1

I've been thinking of training bi's and calves on day 6 and taking bis out of my day 1 workout. I would be hitting my weak points very often but the large muscles once every 6 days or so. What do you think?

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2006, 09:54:02 PM »
Might alternating between each leg for more of a focus, of one leg at a time, on  the leg press.  Do 7-12 reps one leg than jump to the other and than without rest back to the original leg, etc, etc, etc.

There is the system where leg presses are done before regular squats, which makes a lot of sense. Or you could do the Art Jones verson and do a set of leg extensions, leg presses and finally a set of squats. That's one cycle with out any rest betweem exercises. Than a 3 or 4 minute rest before beginning a repeat of the leg workout. That is a killer but a lot of guy's don't want to work that hard, just a thought anyway.  Good Luck.

SuperMike3288

• Getbig III
  • Up, up, and away!
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2006, 03:50:49 AM »
Patting oneself on the back at any age is still pretty lame if the idea's to rise above average. Some 18 year olds have already put in the work and look very good.

New Years' resolution: Serious work on box squats followed by leg press, not one or the other. Squats are the foundation, not something to be done sometimes. Leg press is the perfect complement in busting a gut, putting in the work. Then congratulate yourself next year..8)

Actually I am 17 years old...  ;D
Intensity; the measure of man

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2006, 07:35:07 AM »
I always do presses after squats.  Thats the only way I can get the intensity in my leg workouts that I need in order to grow.  I've tried alternating the two every other week, but didn't seem to work as well as blasting them together.

Blood

• Getbig II
  • Do something with your life...get fat.
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2006, 01:34:51 PM »
I like leg presses, but I rarely do them. I do like doing hack squats with the leg press machine, though. If I pull a groin squatting (which happens a lot), my last resort for leg work is extensions, which I usually do as an auxiliary.
SRHS Raiders

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2006, 01:52:49 PM »
I do like doing hack squats with the leg press machine, though.

Please explain.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2006, 02:17:36 PM »
Some machines are dual-purpose, and allow either leg press or hacks after quick adjustments.

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2006, 02:40:14 PM »
Dillet prefered Hack squats over squats.  Some said it was because of his low pain threshhold but also I am sure getting a big ass influenced him.

Borracho

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2006, 04:07:10 PM »
Hack squats kill my knees. I could never do them.

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2006, 04:30:38 PM »
Hack squats kill my knees. I could never do them.
Have you tired putting your feet farther ahead than you usually do, meaning the stance which causes the knee pain?
It solved my problem.
follow the arrows