Author Topic: Walking lunges  (Read 2055 times)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Walking lunges
« on: January 04, 2006, 08:45:41 AM »
Ronnie ends his legsday with walking lunges, and I know better than to mimic what the pros does, but still from what I've heard this is an excellent exercise. I've noticed that Ronnie doesn't go very low with each leg when doing this in the parking lot... not sure why not, maybe it's not really necessary, maybe he's beat allready and  just using it as a finisher after some heavy legwork, maybe he lose the rythm/pace if he goes down too low and he just wanna get a flow going... lemme know what you think.

I'm thinking of adding this at the end of my legday, but I'm not gonna use the parking lot as Ronnie, so I'll have less room for it, maybe just 4-5 steps in each direction before turning, this shouldn't make a difference now should it?

Z

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Walking lunges
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 08:49:56 AM »
A good one is to do them alternated, one leg forward, return to the standing position, the other leg forward.  You can do them on a step too for greater range of motion.

GET_BIGGER

• Getbig IV
  • Peace and good genes be to you
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 09:37:23 AM »
I have noticed that also and have been meaning to incorporate it into my workout.....but f**k, after squats and leg presses I feel like I have nothing left.  But I'm done being a pussy, I will do them this week. 

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006, 10:35:35 AM »
I have noticed that also and have been meaning to incorporate it into my workout.....but f**k, after squats and leg presses I feel like I have nothing left.  But I'm done being a pussy, I will do them this week. 

I feel the same way I've been thinking of including them forever it seems  ;D
Z

BigAlski

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2006, 10:43:43 AM »
I used to know this dude from Tonga, he benched about 480 at 240, he was a beast and lean.  Anyways, he finished his legs with these up to 315 (and he squated like 600), he said it really did him good and he touched the knee to the ground. 

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2006, 08:56:52 PM »
i do them every couple leg work outs, they make you wanna cry
big or bust

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2006, 10:11:49 PM »
These are one of the best exercises that are more often than not, over-looked by a lot of guys. Nothing creates the separation between quads and hams like these do.

I don't think you should do them to where your knee touches the ground, but it does need to get down there a bit. I would be more concerned with getting a decent stride, stretching the leg out there a bit. Not a ridiculous amount, but play with it until you find the range that produces the best results.

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2006, 08:04:17 AM »
Might also consider step-ups off a high bench, strong box, platform, etc.  In a way this can mimic lunges in most forms (including walking lunges). Start with bwt after a heavy leg program if you wish. Believe it or not we all have a little left after a gruling set, weither we know it or not. A negative thing about walking lunges is that after heavy leg work the muscles may not adapt well to balance because of fatque, any misalinement of the footing or the knee placement may cause an injury. And with weight on the back it can compound an injury to the knee, etc. If you do lunges or step-ups might hold DB's in each hand rather than a BB across the neck. Good Luck.

Beyond Genetics

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006, 04:21:46 AM »
Lunges are great, they will absolutely destroy the legs,,,

Try the Milos Sarcev method.

Do a long lunge on your left leg (taking 3 seconds on the down movement), back to start position, then a medium length lunge, then a short lunge, switch legs and repeat..  after 6-8 reps of this you will be in a great deal of pain.

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006, 03:02:51 PM »
Lunges are great, they will absolutely destroy the legs,,,

Try the Milos Sarcev method.

Do a long lunge on your left leg (taking 3 seconds on the down movement), back to start position, then a medium length lunge, then a short lunge, switch legs and repeat..  after 6-8 reps of this you will be in a great deal of pain.
Agreed.

These are a good way to do them, they take some getting used to and your right, they will hurt, but they are well worth the pain.