Author Topic: all ive read on here is how good dead lift is...  (Read 2168 times)

Subaru66

• Getbig I
  • AWD whore
all ive read on here is how good dead lift is...
« on: January 10, 2006, 10:06:53 PM »
no matter how hard i try, i just cant seem to get the movement down ive read how to do it tonight so i will try tmrw on my back day but any tips to get me through?
Matt

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: all ive read on here is how good dead lift is...
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 03:22:11 AM »
I think you should get someone who knows his shit to teach you it and check your form, hell some even videotape themselves to make sure they do it right. Or you could at least get the book http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/9963616097/qid=1136978416/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/103-7732045-2820628?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

They use 10+ pages on describing DL alone.

Other than that, I'm sure you can get a few hints here in this thread as well.
Z

Ledd

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2006, 04:51:52 AM »
I think there are a few methods.  I like a slightly wider than shoulder grip, right hand over left hand under, chalk.  My feet are either at shoulder width apart or slightly more.  Keep back straight and push off with your legs, straightening your back as you stand.  When I get to the top of the movement I like to try and shrug/arch my back for an extra burn.
Well thats the best I can explain without showing you how.  Good luck deads are the best exercise in my opinion.
My suggestion to you if you've never done these is to start out with something that feels almost easy to pick up just to get your form down.

Overload

• Getbig V
  • KO Artist
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2006, 11:45:52 AM »
How long have you been trying?

it takes a while to get the proper form down before you can go heavy. keep your back straight as possible, drive with your legs at the bottom and basically just stand up while keeping your back straight. i like to start with the bar very close to my body, almost touching my shin.

8)

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 11:48:43 AM »
The DL is not for everyone, not all of us are structured for that exercise. DL's, from rack pins or on strong boxes, etc, at a little above knee height can be more of a benifit than lifting from the floor. Less danger of overextending the back or hitting the knee's on the way up and the opportunity of using a whole lot more weight (100+) on the bar. You can go by the book or have experience personal instruction as far as correct form on the DL is taught. But if your body is not structured for it, you may improve but can still encounter problems . Might try SLDL's as a choice over the regulr DL, a very affective movement.

Could also try using a trap or shrug bar, where you stand in more of a direct line for lifting the bar and where the grip becomes more natural for most guy's. You don't have to worry about an over-under grip, which may or may not cause an improper torque to the spine. Not common but is possible.   If someone tells you that DL's from the floor are the only way for a massive back, than they would only be incorrect. Good Luck.

Geo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 06:51:26 PM »
The DL is not for everyone, not all of us are structured for that exercise. DL's, from rack pins or on strong boxes, etc, at a little above knee height can be more of a benifit than lifting from the floor. Less danger of overextending the back or hitting the knee's on the way up and the opportunity of using a whole lot more weight (100+) on the bar. You can go by the book or have experience personal instruction as far as correct form on the DL is taught. But if your body is not structured for it, you may improve but can still encounter problems . Might try SLDL's as a choice over the regulr DL, a very affective movement.

Could also try using a trap or shrug bar, where you stand in more of a direct line for lifting the bar and where the grip becomes more natural for most guy's. You don't have to worry about an over-under grip, which may or may not cause an improper torque to the spine. Not common but is possible.   If someone tells you that DL's from the floor are the only way for a massive back, than they would only be incorrect. Good Luck.

or start with sumo's with a wider stance until your body adapts to  pickin something off the floor......

there's no doubt in my mind that 90 % of people who struggle with DL's are just uncoordinated bastards !