Author Topic: Over 45 training  (Read 416034 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Over 45 training
« Reply #975 on: November 23, 2015, 05:30:02 PM »
Trained chest today and finished with a 3 mile run on the treadmill. It was a super slow run and my banged up Achilles and nerve damaged foot held up. Maybe it would have been a  different story if I burned up the pace. Ran a 12 minute mile then an 11 and finished with a 10 minute mile. I did the last quarter lap at 8:45 pace.  Having so much trouble running I'm taking baby steps. Hopefully I will be back to my old self. 

I hope in two weeks my banged up structure will be able to to run three sub 9 minute miles.  Just have to keep it slow for now. 

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #976 on: November 24, 2015, 05:14:48 AM »
making some baby steps in training around 'shoulder',,2nd chest workout if I would call, it that..

seated chest press 'stack'version last workout my may was 40  lbs before pain kicked in ,,did a lot of light sets 3-4 up to 60lbs,reps are 15..
made last 3 sets of 10 and hit 95  :D..my rom was musch deeper too with less pain so there is some light at the end...

incline press x5 again bar added 10 then added 5 then added 10 so basically made it to 25 lbs a side ..rom is above chin area so a ways to go to under chin ,,I felt pressure at front delt when I tried to go deeper..

flat flyes 15/15/20 lbs just slow stretch and squeeze here some discomfort as I reached to deepest normal point I do here,,fine otherwise

cable crossovers theses do not hurt at all weird...I did short pushups too on the low pulley row bench very careful I go too deep I feel it..

good to get pump again...anyone that's had shoulder issues knows you feel completely at odds with your body and it will dictate what u can do or not'pain is the ultimate harbinger sp?of bad news....

I am using weights that are literall cut in 1/2 to 3/4 of normal for me ,,so yeah it gets depressing but ya know what its better than nothing

ok so tri's no issues training with no pain and using my normal weights ,,I did more reps and cut back some weights by maybe 10/20 lbs on the cable stacks 'no biggie'pump was great

rope extensions overhead
tri pushdowns
reverse grip pushdowns

ABS AND TREADMILL

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #977 on: November 24, 2015, 07:33:06 AM »
Injuries are hard on the body and even harder on the mind/ego. Your mind is willing to put in the work but the body is rebelling. Take baby steps back. If it takes one month or three it's nothing in the scheme of things.

I never used under 205lbs with my sets in benching for decades.  Now with a wrecked shoulders every time I try to bench with a bar it's a disaster. I was using 165lbs and I felt humiliated in a gym a couple of months ago. At least I can use dumbbells with little pain and Hammer strength with no pain. There are maybe a couple of hundred lifts. Be good in most of them and forget the ones you can't do.

I feel your frustration. Keep up the good fight.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #978 on: November 24, 2015, 07:44:31 AM »
Injuries are hard on the body and even harder on the mind/ego. Your mind is willing to put in the work but the body is rebelling. Take baby steps back. If it takes one month or three it's nothing in the scheme of things.

I never used under 205lbs with my sets in benching for decades.  Now with a wrecked shoulders every time I try to bench with a bar it's a disaster. I was using 165lbs and I felt humiliated in a gym a couple of months ago. At least I can use dumbbells with little pain and Hammer strength with no pain. There are maybe a couple of hundred lifts. Be good in most of them and forget the ones you can't do.

I feel your frustration. Keep up the good fight.
UR RIGHT THE ONE'S I CAN'T DO THERE ARE A FEW I WILL PHASE OUT IF NEED BE,,I HAVE TO GET BACK TO DB PRESSES I HOPE,ITS MY BREAD AND BUTTER..BUT FLAT IS WHAT I GOT HURT ON AND I CAN'T SEE THAT COMING BACK AS EASY..LAST TIME I HAD PINCHED NERVE AFFECT MY MID BACK INTO MY L/S SHOULDER/ARM,TOOK MONTHS TO MOVE DB S BACK TO 80'S ,,EVERY WEEK I WOULD GO UP 5 LB DBS IT WAS SAD PRESSING 30/40'S AND IT BARELY MOVED..

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #979 on: November 24, 2015, 04:49:41 PM »
Trained back today. I guess volume will wait awhile. Used somewhat moderate weights for me.

cleans 3 x 3
pull ups 3 x max
Seated lat pulls with V handle 2 x 12
Dumbbell rows off bench 2 x 10
reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10
stiff leg deadlifts 2 x 6
weighted hyper extensions 2 x 12
weighted crunches 1 x 50

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #980 on: November 25, 2015, 12:17:52 AM »
Worked arms and abs today. I pretty much used the same routine as last time, just upped the resistance about 5 lbs. on each exercise. If my arms don't feel it tomorrow or on Thanksgiving, I will increase the resistance more.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #981 on: November 25, 2015, 07:31:04 AM »
Doctors:

I was thinking about what two different doctors told me. When I was in my early twenties the doctor was telling me it's obvious that I lift weights. He said always think about health when working out or your size will just provide more food for worms when you die. Didn't know what he meant back then but it always stuck with me. I think now I know what he was getting at.

Today I saw a doctor and he said he was for working out but he said joints have an expiration date for many that can be hastened by lifting. He one of the biggest portions of clients for orthopedic surgeons are 50 something people who work out that are running into serious joint issues. 

I'm going to give serious consideration to the long haul in working out. That is obviously having health as a first and foremost consideration. I know the internet is full of steroid using 50, 60 and 70 year old wonders that the public is clueless how they got their physique.  I just wonder how healthy is the most important muscle the heart is doing with these guys. I wonder about prostate health from using steroids and other issues like being stronger that the aging joints can handle.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #982 on: November 25, 2015, 07:35:50 AM »
Doctors:

I was thinking about what two different doctors told me. When I was in my early twenties the doctor was telling me it's obvious that I lift weights. He said always think about health when working out or your size will just provide more food for worms when you die. Didn't know what he meant back then but it always stuck with me. I think now I know what he was getting at.

Today I saw a doctor and he said he was for working out but he said joints have an expiration date for many that can be hastened by lifting. He one of the biggest portions of clients for orthopedic surgeons are 50 something people who work out that are running into serious joint issues. 

I'm going to give serious consideration to the long haul in working out. That is obviously having health as a first and foremost consideration. I know the internet is full of steroid using 50, 60 and 70 year old wonders that the public is clueless how they got their physique.  I just wonder how healthy is the most important muscle the heart is doing with these guys. I wonder about prostate health from using steroids and other issues like being stronger that the aging joints can handle.
GREAT POINTS ,,,rich I think you can still perform your 'heavy'type training for some more yrs,,heck i'm facin it too closing on 50 in a few,,i think the volume and moderate reps change will help as well like it does me,,problem is when I try to go a bit heavier 'bam'i get something hitting me like now  :-\

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #983 on: November 26, 2015, 08:03:38 AM »
No training just eating and drinking beer. Enjoy this family holiday. Nothing more important than being with the family. 

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #984 on: November 26, 2015, 08:34:50 AM »
Happy THanksgiving guys,,,,catch up here

back/.traps/calves/abs /treadmill...no pain at all during this ,,my shoulder is in different path not pressing movements..

inner grip chinups x4 x10-12
tbar rows elevated version lying face down ,,1.5 plates/2 plates/2 and some change/2 and 25..
cable low pulley rows..160/180/185
single arm cable pulldowns ,,stretch and squeeze movement x3 ,
short bar attached to top 'cable'standing in front and pull to chest x3'hits upper back/rear traps/rhomdoids

traps
shrugs 135/225/275/295/315/315

abs 5 sets crunch roller machine sets 30

calves 5 sets standing calf raise..180x15.200x12,220x10,240/240 sets 8-10..i switch low/hi rep calf days

thanksgivung delt/bi/forearms

seated press inner grip..i'm getting there with pressing worked to 80 lbs here better than last week tenfold still achy here tho,,did 4 sets up to 80lbs

lateral raises 15/20/25/25 much better hurts at mid point,and because of it i have to jack weight up little less controlled than usual at this point,if i go heavy by say 35 lbs dbs i naturally jack it up but this is occurring lighter weight due to some pain yet,,ok hi reps here 12-15

rear seated raises no pain on this 20/25/25/25 sets 12 easy staying light i did some uprights rows with them premade bar 40/50/60 i usually do 90 lbs on the premade curl bar...

this was encouraging to finish i could not do a 2.5 cable front raise 3 wks ago...i was able to do 15/20/25 lb db front raises done together for 12 reps each arm..thrilled lol...

bi's
premade curl bar 50/60/70/70,,it aches a bit on this due to hanging  the front delt on curling movement,,i usually hit 90lbs on these,,,reps good at 10 easy

seated padded scott curl machie ,,no pain on these whatsoever,,125/135/140/155

cable single hand curls done together x4 nice finish 'like doing a db curl'but cabled

forearms
rope rollups weighted x3
4 sets cable reverse behind back wrist curls ..great pump to back forarms the popeye part...

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #985 on: November 26, 2015, 08:38:27 AM »

DONNY WE MISS YA BUD,,,,,,HANG IN THERE,,,

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #986 on: November 26, 2015, 05:08:22 PM »
Reinstate Donny. The board isn't the same without him.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #987 on: November 26, 2015, 08:30:54 PM »
Belated happy Thanksgiving guys. This was a great day for me that I spent with family and enjoying delicious food. No workout today.

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #988 on: November 27, 2015, 08:53:44 AM »
Reinstate Donny. The board isn't the same without him.
Thanks men.. Rich you are a top man ;)

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #989 on: November 27, 2015, 03:04:07 PM »
Taking the long weekend off. 8)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #990 on: November 27, 2015, 04:55:38 PM »
Worked hams, calves and lower abs today.

Seated leg curls, 4 X 10-4
Standing calf raises, 4 X 15-10
Lying leg curls, 3 X 10 - 6
Calf raises using the leg press, 4 X 15-12
Reverse hack squats, 3 X 8-6
Seated calf raises, 3 X 15-12
Ab coaster, 3 X 20

The gym was empty except for us diehards who show up on holidays. Anyway, my sister has been here 3 days and she's getting on my nerves. I needed to get away.

Thanksgiving dinner was excellent as it usually is. I am proud of myself because I did not overload my plate or get uncomfortably full. It actually made the meal much more enjoyable. I fixed a really simple cranberry relish. All you do is dump 2lbs. of cranberries, a cup of sugar, the zest and juice of one orange and 1/4 cup of Grand Marnier in a food processor then pulse until the cranberries are well chopped. Let it sit at room temperature for at least a half hour and serve.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #991 on: November 28, 2015, 03:57:00 AM »
For those who use volume here. Do you stick with the same weight for the sets or do you progress up in weight each set?

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #992 on: November 28, 2015, 06:26:38 AM »
For those who use volume here. Do you stick with the same weight for the sets or do you progress up in weight each set?
I progress or try to ,,,example say I do db press flat,,most times I increment 60/70/80/80 or 85 as a low rep set ,,1st sets I do are higher reps 10-12 then go no lower than 8 on heaviest..sometimes I will warm up then do 3 sets at 80's till failure..i like progressive increases more or I will go heavy then drop down to lightest 80/70/60 works too..play around rich what do u have to lose?

Donny

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • getbig Zen Master
« Reply #993 on: November 28, 2015, 07:36:31 AM »
nothing like a good old fashioned Pyramid...  well i am just going to go for a long walk get some fresh air. The Christmas Market is on here. Always very busy.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #994 on: November 28, 2015, 07:51:24 AM »
When I use volume I pyramid up to heavy (maybe single, double, triple)  then I go back down increasing reps on my way. I usually end up doing a shitload of sets this way.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #995 on: November 28, 2015, 09:51:51 AM »
When I use volume I pyramid up to heavy (maybe single, double, triple)  then I go back down increasing reps on my way. I usually end up doing a shitload of sets this way.
8)...ON THE BIG 3 THAT WORKS,,,YOUR NOT GOING TO DO 1 REP ON A DB PRESS  ;D

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #996 on: November 28, 2015, 10:54:06 AM »
8)...ON THE BIG 3 THAT WORKS,,,YOUR NOT GOING TO DO 1 REP ON A DB PRESS  ;D
No, but I do do doubles/triples with DB's. Depeneds on who's in the gym for a spot. Wouldn't try a 1rm with db's.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #997 on: November 28, 2015, 11:12:36 AM »
No, but I do do doubles/triples with DB's. Depeneds on who's in the gym for a spot. Wouldn't try a 1rm with db's.
I HEAR YA BRO,,,I'VE DONE 3-6 OR LESS ON A DB ,,I'M SUCKING WIND RIGHT NOW WITH SHOULDER ISSUE ...

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #998 on: November 28, 2015, 11:16:33 AM »

The are loads of ways to skin a cat. Mainly, it seems to be important to change things up periodically. You can increase the resistance, add sets and reps, do a different exercise the works the same muscle group and occasionally just take a day off for the heck of it.

If all one did was increase the weight, they will eventually be trying to hoist more poundage than their body is capable of doing. Think about it this way, if you added only 5 lbs. resistance every week, in a year you be lifting an additional 260lbs.

chaos

• Getbig V
« Reply #999 on: November 28, 2015, 11:21:13 AM »
I HEAR YA BRO,,,I'VE DONE 3-6 OR LESS ON A DB ,,I'M SUCKING WIND RIGHT NOW WITH SHOULDER ISSUE ...
Had an issue where I could flat bench but inclines killed my shoulder. Db or barbell. Just recently went away.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!