Author Topic: Pumping Iron Star Mike Katz Was Responsible For Weightlifting In NFL....  (Read 7189 times)

Moosejay

Mr. Connecticut, Mr. America, Mr. World, Mr. Universe, Pumping Iron Star Mike Katz was truly one of those responsible for weight lifting being incorporated into the NFL as a staple of physical preparation for early and modern day players.

When he played at Southern CT State College(now University) in the 60's, his college coach would hear the thunderous crashing of weights by Mike in the fieldhouse, come running down the stairs, scream at Mike to stop..."What the HELL are you doing?"

"Sorry coach," Bigf Mike would counter, and then he'd continue on.

He was the only one on the team who was 'one with the weights'.

However, although he was a 6'1" linemean, he was also THE fastest one on the team, by far.

Faster than the running backs and wide receivers.

When Mike Played with the New York Jets from 67 to 68 (he'd just missed the Super Bowl Year with Joe Willie Namath-if it were not for a knee injury, he'd have a SB Ring), very, very few players not only with the jets (Mike says only his roomate on the '67 squad, who failed to make the team out of training camp, was the only other wh tossed about the iron) but in the entire NFL used weights to augment their on the field football skills.

However, on the practice field, several coaches, including the insuperable head coach Weeb Ewbank, nearly had their shorts soiled when they saw the monstrous Katz tear up the field from side to side and run down smaller yet speedier running backs and the like.

Not only was Mike fastest on his college team, he was also the fastest player on his New York Jets team!

To this day, Mike remains one of the true progenitors of why weight resistence training was implemented ultimately in the NFL, and , arguably in all other sports.

Other unknown tidbits about Mike:

He was able to, at a height of 6'1" and off-season 265 pounds, able to dunk a basketball.

In some Pumping Iron Outtakes I was treated to, there is footage of Mike being filmed (when he was a teacher at Hamden High School in Hamden, CT) in a 100 yard foot race against then-current HS track and football athletes...and BEATING them all.

I could go on, but I said my piece.

I thought we should be thankful to big Mike, the true pioneer (One of 'em) of helping get weights into all ends of society.

I'd enjoy thoughts or input regarding this fromn the knowledgeable members of GetBig, of whom there are many.

Thanks,

Mike 

ferd

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
Re: Pumping Iron Star Mike Katz Was Responsible For Weightlifting In NFL....
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 09:25:14 PM »
I met Mike once and found him to be a very kind man.  His religeous beliefs were, at that time, what he had built his life on.  He had such a huge chest and back, but lacked in the lower body area.  He never had a pleasing appearance, but he was such a very nice person.  In the end, that is probably more important.  He truly loved bodybuilding.

Moosejay

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 11:08:13 PM »
I met Mike once and found him to be a very kind man.  His religeous beliefs were, at that time, what he had built his life on.  He had such a huge chest and back, but lacked in the lower body area.  He never had a pleasing appearance, but he was such a very nice person.  In the end, that is probably more important.  He truly loved bodybuilding.

Yes, Ferd, Mike and I have been friends for about 30 years. He used to drive me to 'bodybuilding camp' when I was 15 years old! (He was the first to start this, and had Robby Robinson come out to CT each summer to conduct said camp with him.

Hugest Chest ever, even bigger than Arnold's at the time (yet by no means was he better than Arnold, needless to say, but, for sheer size, did rival Arnold.

Arnold would not go onstage at the same time as Mike because Mike always got a bigger ovation than Arnold, or than any other boidybuilder, at that time!

Although a pioneer, Mike didn't have an aesthetically appealing physique, as you mentioned.

However, his achievements do not go unnoticed, and, like you said, he's one of the nicest guys you'd ever want to meet!

Mike

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2007, 11:54:43 PM »
Mr. Connecticut, Mr. America, Mr. World, Mr. Universe, Pumping Iron Star Mike Katz was truly one of those responsible for weight lifting being incorporated into the NFL as a staple of physical preparation for early and modern day players.

When he played at Southern CT State College(now University) in the 60's, his college coach would hear the thunderous crashing of weights by Mike in the fieldhouse, come running down the stairs, scream at Mike to stop..."What the HELL are you doing?"

However, although he was a 6'1" linemean, he was also THE fastest one on the team, by far.

When Mike Played with the New York Jets from 67 to 68 (he'd just missed the Super Bowl Year with Joe Willie Namath-if it were not for a knee injury, he'd have a SB Ring), very, very few players not only with the jets (Mike says only his roomate on the '67 squad, who failed to make the team out of training camp, was the only other wh tossed about the iron) but in the entire NFL used weights to augment their on the field football skills.

However, on the practice field, several coaches, including the insuperable head coach Weeb Ewbank, nearly had their shorts soiled when they saw the monstrous Katz tear up the field from side to side and run down smaller yet speedier running backs and the like.

Not only was Mike fastest on his college team, he was also the fastest player on his New York Jets team!

To this day, Mike remains one of the true progenitors of why weight resistence training was implemented ultimately in the NFL, and , arguably in all other sports.

He was able to, at a height of 6'1" and off-season 265 pounds, able to dunk a basketball.

In some Pumping Iron Outtakes I was treated to, there is footage of Mike being filmed (when he was a teacher at Hamden High School in Hamden, CT) in a 100 yard foot race against then-current HS track and football athletes...and BEATING them all.

I thought we should be thankful to big Mike, the true pioneer (One of 'em) of helping get weights into all ends of society.

I'd enjoy thoughts or input regarding this fromn the knowledgeable members of GetBig, of whom there are many.

Thanks,

Mike 

Hi Mike Katz  ;D
It hasn't helped...

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 04:00:48 AM »
mike sure was massive in pumping iron and at the universe. it was inspiring watching him train shoulders

Moosejay

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2007, 05:45:15 PM »
mike sure was massive in pumping iron and at the universe. it was inspiring watching him train shoulders

Bigger than Arnold...not nearly as good.

That's why Arnold liked to train with him...Arnold hated training legs, Big Mike Liked to...so he'd push Arnold, which is what he liked most about training partners who were stronger than or superior to him in any way.

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2007, 05:59:00 PM »
Mike was best at Balding. He could really lose hair like no one else. Those were the days. ahhhhhh, smell that.

That and the best frankenstein impression ever from a BB.

Pumping would've been a much better movie with interviews of better, more intelligent BBs like Nubret, Oliva & Draper rather than Katz and the monosyllabic Columbu. I think they left out better BBs to make Schwarzenegger look even better in comparison, in addition of course to the Weider bias that was shown.

Mike responsible for NFL lifting? Doubtful without better proof. There were always a handful of lifters in the NFL and CFL even then.

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2007, 06:05:11 PM »
Mike was best at Balding. He could really lose hair like no one else. Those were the days. ahhhhhh, smell that.

;D  hahahaha what the hell is wrong with you douchebag ?

joelocal

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 06:11:34 PM »

Thanks,

Mike 

Good stuff!!

SirTraps

• Getbig IV
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 06:15:08 PM »
Joe could you touch the rim
 ?  ;D

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2007, 12:16:41 AM »
Bigger than Arnold...not nearly as good.

That's why Arnold liked to train with him...Arnold hated training legs, Big Mike Liked to...so he'd push Arnold, which is what he liked most about training partners who were stronger than or superior to him in any way.

shows great intelligence on arnold's part. mike seems to have a passion for training and competing. it really shows in pumping iron that deep down, he has a strong desire to be the best and would do whatever it takes, without resorting to backstabbing or the like.

got any other stories from the 70's crowd?

FrenchFrie

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2007, 01:43:03 AM »
fact is mike katz is a nobody. type mike katz in google and u have one photograph.

the only guy who made it is arnold, even lou has at best had a "has been who never was" status in the eye of the mainstream .

MAXX

• Getbig V
  • MAGA
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2007, 02:12:52 AM »
fact is mike katz is a nobody. type mike katz in google and u have one photograph.

the only guy who made it is arnold, even lou has at best had a "has been who never was" status in the eye of the mainstream .
what happens if i type in your name?

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2007, 02:23:31 AM »
mike katz jr (little michael from pumping iron) is in the gym business

scroll about half way down, or type 'mike katz'
http://www.valleyadvocate.com/best_nh.cfm?pid=104&plid=11

Moosejay

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2007, 04:11:10 AM »

Pumping would've been a much better movie with interviews of better, more intelligent BBs like Nubret, Oliva & Draper rather than Katz and the monosyllabic Columbu. I think they left out better BBs to make Schwarzenegger look even better in comparison, in addition of course to the Weider bias that was shown.

Mike responsible for NFL lifting? Doubtful without better proof. There were always a handful of lifters in the NFL and CFL even then.

True, Mike lamented that he knew he was unattractrive.

Intelligence wise, at least more eductated than Nubret, Oliva, Draper, especially Columbu. Nubret was only let into the Olympia after a raclally related protest, Oliva was banished at the time from the IFBB, Draper was a lost soul at the time, and Columbu had his time.

They liked the aspect that Katz had a family.

Most wre filmed extensively...then the film was edited based on placings.

Padilla made the trip (you can see him in the audience with Arnold at prejudging) but was not allowed to compete...neither Mike or Waller would cvapitulate to the powers that were that one would have toi forego the Universe and go against Arnold in the Olympia.

Ed Jubinville, one of the judges, manufactured most of Weider's equipment at the time out of Massachusetts.

He was told that if he could not convince Mike to go in the Olympia, forget about making equipment for Joe.

Jubinville told them to take a leap, and thge rest...wellyou know how it went.

You could corroborate with Serge himself...he'd tell you how much BS went on there.

Mike   

Moosejay

« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2007, 04:12:13 AM »

By the way, I should say Mike was responsible for a great deal of more recognition that weights had their place in the NFL.

Moosejay

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2007, 04:15:34 AM »
shows great intelligence on arnold's part. mike seems to have a passion for training and competing. it really shows in pumping iron that deep down, he has a strong desire to be the best and would do whatever it takes, without resorting to backstabbing or the like.

got any other stories from the 70's crowd?

Here is a cool one.

The gym that Mike tarined in in PI...the garage gym...was owned by "Coach" Helland.

Marty and Gina Helland (His son and daugher in law) now own the house (coach poassed away a while ago)...to this day, Gina wants to make the gym into a bigger family room.

Marty says 'no way'....he has kept it EXACTLY as it was back in the 70's, when Big Mike, Joe Ugolik, and even Arnold and Franco trained there a few times.

And I mean exactly the same...no changes...all the stuff is still there.

Moosejay

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2007, 04:19:49 AM »

I went with Mike several years ago to the meadowlands complex to judge (I think Bob Bonham was running it...maybe Kenny Cassell) the 'Women's Extravaganza'.

The New York Jets & Giants were there, playing an exhibition.

Most were sitting in the lounge, and when Mike and I went through, most of them knew him or recognized him.

Nobody outside of Arnold is really known in the 'mainstream'...whatever you mean by that.

We will all be forgotten, eventually.

Frankly, I don't even think Mike cares about that. Not as much as you do, anyway, friend.

Best,

Mike

Moosejay

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2007, 04:23:22 AM »
mike katz jr (little michael from pumping iron) is in the gym business

scroll about half way down, or type 'mike katz'
http://www.valleyadvocate.com/best_nh.cfm?pid=104&plid=11

Big Mike was the FIRST guy , in 1979, to have a World Gym Franchise. They opened it here in Hamden, CT.

Only recently did they convert their three World's into P-Fitnesses.

Mike was saddened to do this, especially since Joe Gold was still alive when they did it.

But, it was a business decision.

Mike, his son, and partner of 30 years Jerry Mastrangelo, have over 14,000 members alone in their Branford location.

This after Mike was a teacher for 25 plus years in the CT HS system.

So, add THAT UP!!!!!

Moosejay

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2007, 04:27:56 AM »
Big Mike was the FIRST guy , in 1979, to have a World Gym Franchise. They opened it here in Hamden, CT.

Only recently did they convert their three World's into P-Fitnesses.

Mike was saddened to do this, especially since Joe Gold was still alive when they did it.

But, it was a business decision.

Correction:

Mike was a teacher for 35 years!!!-sorry and kind regards to you all!

Mike, his son, and partner of 30 years Jerry Mastrangelo, have over 14,000 members alone in their Branford location.

This after Mike was a teacher for 25 plus years in the CT HS system.

So, add THAT UP!!!!!

Pollux

• Getbig V
  • I'm kind of a big deal!
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2007, 04:32:21 AM »
Pumping Iron Star co-star Mike Katz

;)

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2007, 04:35:08 AM »
Hugest Chest ever, even bigger than Arnold's at the time (yet by no means was he better than Arnold, needless to say, but, for sheer size, did rival Arnold.

As much as I LOVE Arnold, I gotta go with you on that.

Moosejay

Pollux

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: December 18, 2007, 04:42:15 AM »
Arnold would not go onstage at the same time as Mike because Mike always got a bigger ovation than Arnold

Sorry, but that seems to be a bit of a stretch. I know Mike is your friend and all and you gotta pump his personae, but let's not make ridiculous speculations here.

Moosejay

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2007, 04:49:56 AM »
Sorry, but that seems to be a bit of a stretch. I know Mike is your friend and all and you gotta pump his personae, but let's not make ridiculous speculations here.

I have been candid when necessary, true to my memory, and critical of Mike when warranted.

Mike was no means as good a bb as Arnold.

That's a given that should not even have to be mentioned.

My was always , at least, a 'sympathetic' hero of most crowds. Arnold would get strong applause because he was the champ. Mike, because he was so damn big and grotesque and just kept coming and trying.

I am not saying this always happened. I was not there for any of these bouts.

At events where both were appearing, he'd often get a more resounding ovation. Simple as that.

I am young enough (44) to remain lucid in memory than to weave a tapestry of falsehoods