Author Topic: California's Economy Surpasses UK's  (Read 5373 times)

Palumboism

• Getbig IV
California's Economy Surpasses UK's
« on: May 07, 2018, 05:16:26 PM »
The Financial Express

California’s economy has surpassed that of the United Kingdom to become the world’s fifth largest, according to new federal data made public on Friday.

Despite having a population of only 40 million compared with the UK’s 65 million people, California’s gross domestic product of $2.7 trillion has overtaken the UK’s $2.6 trillion, The Guardian.

The so-called Golden State’s GDP rose by $127 billion in the period from 2016 to 2017, while the UK’s economic output fell slightly over that time when measured in US dollars, due in part to exchange rate fluctuations.

British GDP has fallen steadily from $3tn in 2014, according to World Bank figures.

The release of Friday’s data demonstrated the sheer immensity of California’s economy, home to a thriving technology sector in Silicon Valley, the world’s entertainment capital in Hollywood and America’s “salad bowl” in its agricultural heartland.

https://thefinancialexpress.com.bd/economy/global/californias-economy-surpasses-uks-to-become-worlds-fifth-biggest-1525524600

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: California's Economy Surpasses UK's
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 05:39:06 PM »
The Financial Express

California’s economy has surpassed that of the United Kingdom to become the world’s fifth largest, according to new federal data made public on Friday.

Despite having a population of only 40 million compared with the UK’s 65 million people, California’s gross domestic product of $2.7 trillion has overtaken the UK’s $2.6 trillion, The Guardian.

The so-called Golden State’s GDP rose by $127 billion in the period from 2016 to 2017, while the UK’s economic output fell slightly over that time when measured in US dollars, due in part to exchange rate fluctuations.

British GDP has fallen steadily from $3tn in 2014, according to World Bank figures.

The release of Friday’s data demonstrated the sheer immensity of California’s economy, home to a thriving technology sector in Silicon Valley, the world’s entertainment capital in Hollywood and America’s “salad bowl” in its agricultural heartland.

https://thefinancialexpress.com.bd/economy/global/californias-economy-surpasses-uks-to-become-worlds-fifth-biggest-1525524600

People in the US knock CA as being out of the mainstream and that’s true to a certain extent. But the thing to keep in mind is that most of the world’s innovations (for better or worse) come out of California. As goes CA, so goes the world. Plus half of what is on our dining room tables comes from CA. Now the fifth biggest economy in the world. Amazing.

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 06:17:45 PM »
Why is the state on the verge of bankruptcy?

werewolf operative

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 06:24:13 PM »

https://www.jweekly.com/2013/10/25/talking-with-a-fan-of-kugel-but-not-the-kremlin/

J.: What was your childhood like? Did you have a Jewish upbringing?

Scott Wiener: I was born in Philadelphia, but by the time I was 3 we lived in Turnersville, N.J., a rural area that was transitioning to becoming a suburb. There were very few Jews there. Some of our neighbors had never met a Jew before. There was also no synagogue in town, so when I was very young, about 10 or 12 families came together and founded a Conservative congregation. We used the local Lutheran church for services on Friday evenings — put a sheet over the cross — and an Orthodox rabbi from half an hour away would [arrive] before sunset on Friday, and stay at my home until Saturday at sundown. We’d walk with him to evening services and back. A lot of my world, my friends, revolved around the synagogue.

Barbara (((Ferrer))) Director of LA county public health

Every.Fucking.Time

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 06:33:56 PM »
CA needs new leadership, these liberal douchenozzles are fucking this state all up. 5th largest economy and highest poverty level in the country. ::)
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 06:44:17 PM »
CA needs new leadership, these liberal douchenozzles are fucking this state all up. 5th largest economy and highest poverty level in the country. ::)

QFT.  The cheapest shack of a home in San Francisco is over million dollars. They have expensive hotels and restaurants. Every where you go are homeless people living in tents taking craps on the sidewalks. I read one tourist left an expensive hotel and stepped in human crap. Who would want to live or visit there?  The progressive whack jobs that live in that state have to stop electing these radical liberals. California is mainly people with big money and poor people. Very few in between.

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 06:51:22 PM »
Despite the risk of stepping in crap, most tourists choose CA. Florida is the only other state with two cities on the most visited list (Miami and Orlando). CA has San Francisco and LA. In terms of world economy, SF has Silicone Valley (Facebook/Instagram, Twitter, Google/YouTube, Apple, Netflix (on and on) and Hollywood is a neighborhood of LA. In between are the bread basket San Joaquin and Sacramento Valleys. Plus Las Vegas is almost in CA. Where would all the social media bodybuilder mavens celebrated here be without CA.

http://www.thisisinsider.com/most-visited-us-cities-2017-12

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 07:01:52 PM »
Despite the risk of stepping in crap, most tourists choose CA. Florida is the only other state with two cities on the most visited list (Miami and Orlando). CA has San Francisco and LA. In terms of world economy, SF has Silicone Valley (Facebook/Instagram, Twitter, Google/YouTube, Apple, Netflix (on and on) and Hollywood is a neighborhood of LA. In between are the breadbasket San Joaquin and Sacramento Valleys. Plus Las Vegas is almost in CA. Where would all the social media bodybuilder mavens celebrated here be without CA.

http://www.thisisinsider.com/most-visited-us-cities-2017-12

I should talk. Next month I'm visiting a relative in San Diego and she is giving me a gift by letting me stay in Desert Springs in Palm Springs for free for 4 days after staying at her house for a couple of days.

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 07:06:07 PM »
I should talk. Next month I'm visiting a relative in San Diego and she is giving me a gift by letting me stay in Desert Springs in Palm Springs for free for 4 days after staying at her house for a couple of days.

Agree that politics is screwed up there although CA gave us Reagan and there are some sensible politicians like Feinstein, etc.  Even Jerry Brown gets high marks in some respects.

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 09:09:37 PM »
The Financial Express

California is financially fucked

robcguns

• Getbig V
  • Founder of the proud straight white male movement
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 04:46:58 AM »

https://www.jweekly.com/2013/10/25/talking-with-a-fan-of-kugel-but-not-the-kremlin/

Scott Wiener: I was born in Philadelphia, but by the time I was 3 we lived in Turnersville, N.J., a rural area that was transitioning to becoming a suburb. There were very few Jews there. Some of our neighbors had never met a Jew before. There was also no synagogue in town, so when I was very young, about 10 or 12 families came together and founded a Conservative congregation. We used the local Lutheran church for services on Friday evenings — put a sheet over the cross — and an Orthodox rabbi from half an hour away would [arrive] before sunset on Friday, and stay at my home until Saturday at sundown. We’d walk with him to evening services and back. A lot of my world, my friends, revolved around the synagogue.

Guy should have his head bashed in,fucking disgusting fruitcake.

Every.Fucking.Time

Kwon

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 06:50:31 AM »

Guy should have his head bashed in,fucking disgusting fruitcake.

Every.Fucking.Time
Q

oldschoolfan

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 06:58:13 AM »
California also has over 2 trillion in debt and is broke

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 07:33:33 AM »
Agree that politics is screwed up there although CA gave us Reagan and there are some sensible politicians like Feinstein, etc.  Even Jerry Brown gets high marks in some respects.
You believe Diane Feinstein is sensible?

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 07:46:17 AM »
Yes centrist, but she may lose her primary to that left wing dude.

werewolf operative

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2018, 08:18:45 AM »

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2018, 08:25:24 AM »
GDP measures value of output so a strong USD combined with a housing bubble and unicorn bubble inflate the Californian numbers.

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 08:59:54 AM »

GDP measures value of output so a strong USD combined with a housing bubble and unicorn bubble inflate the Californian numbers.

Housing values are irrelevant to GDP. Initial construction costs, however, do play into the equation. Also, wouldn’t exchange rates be normalized in comparing the two GDPs, making dollar strength irrelevant also (but I have always been confused about exchange rates)? The posts here have me thinking about the issue of government debt. In comparing UK to CA, it would be interesting to compare government debt as percent of GDP. Anyone have that comparison off top of their head?

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2018, 09:41:15 AM »
Obviously doesn't live in CA.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

denarii

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2018, 09:46:20 AM »
Housing values are irrelevant to GDP. Initial construction costs, however, do play into the equation. Also, wouldn’t exchange rates be normalized in comparing the two GDPs, making dollar strength irrelevant also (but I have always been confused about exchange rates)? The posts here have me thinking about the issue of government debt. In comparing UK to CA, it would be interesting to compare government debt as percent of GDP. Anyone have that comparison off top of their head?

They infect everything. The second point you make is PPP based GDP.

CA is only a state same as how London does better than the national average.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 09:47:05 AM »
How about them retarded taxes (and fruitcakes and libtards)?

mazrim

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 11:01:55 AM »
Yes centrist, but she may lose her primary to that left wing dude.
Don't foresee a lot of hope for Cali if she is considered centrist.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 11:15:12 AM »
In regard to finances, pne of the biggest problems in this state (and many other states and municipalities) are the pensions of state and city workers

It's insane that someone works for the state (makes a great salary and benefits) an then retires after 20 or 25 years and is paid 80% of their salary for life and often lifetime health benefits.

That's CRAZY and there is no way to budget for it.  Eventually you're paying more in pensions of retiree's than people actively working.

A better system would be a defined contribution plan where the employer makes annual contributions into a retirement plan for each year worked (maybe even increased if the employee also contributes).  When the person retires he/she will can take their retirement money and do whatever they want (just like a 401k). but the the state/city is no longer paying a dime after the person stops working

If someone works 20 or 25 years they should have plenty of money in that account to support them for the rest of their lives.

mphgrove

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2018, 11:34:30 AM »
Don't foresee a lot of hope for Cali if she is considered centrist.

There are LOTS of politicians to the left of her. But you are correct she’s more left than right. You’ve got to be leftish to be elected in CA because the electorate skews that direction. Whether there’s hope or not is debatable. You’re correct that there are LOTS of problems, some of which would be well served by a return to Reagan style conservativism. But the point I have been making (which gets completely lost in a Fox News type perspective on the matter) is that California is THE MOST IMPORTANT PLACE IN tHE WORLD in terms of what is driving the world forward. All you have to do is get off a flight at LAX or at San Jose to feel that. That still counts for a lot, problems or no problems.

obsidian

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2018, 02:10:35 PM »

Seems to me Kalifornia has a fake jew problem.