Author Topic: What's your work ethic in the gym?  (Read 8303 times)

CastIron

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Superman lives!
What's your work ethic in the gym?
« on: May 04, 2009, 07:20:16 PM »
How long do you break in between sets or how hard to you push yourself in the gym. Would you say that you have intensity like Tom Platz or intensity like Flex Wheeler. What I'm getting at are you a lazy bum in the gym lol?

tleilaxutank

• Getbig IV
  • If it feels good twitter it
Re: What's your work ethic in the gym?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 07:22:45 PM »
Compared to the average gym goer I'd say I work pretty hard.  Compared to the serious weightlifter/bb'er, I'd say I'm pretty lazy.  Some of these guys work out so fucking intense it makes me tired to watch.  I've worked out with people before whose intensity was an 11 and they were not over jacked.  Kind of depressing.

nzmusclemonster

• Getbig V
  • Serenity Now!
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 07:24:51 PM »
My ipod goes on and I get in the zone. For 1 hour everyone else in the gym is a cunt and I am an angry man  8)
P

Mr. Magoo

• Getbig V
  • THE most mistaken identity on getbig
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 07:40:35 PM »
I work hard. People know not to talk to me during my workout. Sometimes I get into it but most of the time I'm the only one there anyways so it's not as if I'm ruining the 20 minute cardio session of the soccer moms.

Jizzacked

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 07:55:02 PM »
just follow the golden rule....

if your thong is still clean at the end of the session then nothing worthy happened

calfzilla

• Getbig V
  • YUMAN FILTH!
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 08:00:24 PM »
I have a rule that I don't allow myself to drink water in between sets, only in between exercises. 

ASJChaotic

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 08:27:31 PM »
My ipod goes on and people in the gym don't exist anymore
I don't go to the gym to check out girls asses or socialize, I go there to get my workout in
No body dares talk to me with the head phones and my game face on, I don't mess around  >:(
This should give you some idea

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 08:34:48 PM »
How long do you break in between sets or how hard to you push yourself in the gym. Would you say that you have intensity like Tom Platz or intensity like Flew Wheeler. What I'm getting at are you a lazy bum in the gym lol?

seriously i take like 30-40 seconds between sets for the small mucsels and 1-1.5 minutes for the big muscles.. after warming up my first set is always the heaviest then I go down.. my whole workout takes 45-60 minutes and i train 3 days a week..

bigj2k3

• Getbig II
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 08:42:38 PM »
seriously i take like 30-40 seconds between sets for the small mucsels and 1-1.5 minutes for the big muscles.. after warming up my first set is always the heaviest then I go down.. my whole workout takes 45-60 minutes and i train 3 days a week..

I wish I had your great genetics. 5 days a week for me my friend.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2009, 08:45:00 PM »
I don't go to the gym to check out girls asses or socialize, I go there to get my workout in
No body dares talk to me with the head phones and my game face on, I don't mess around  >:(

after 5 years of going to gyms for old people and physical therapy, i'm finally going to a meat market gym now.

it's nice.  if you're focused, don't look.  But every now and then, your test levels might be a little low, and there walks some girl with a "Class of 2008" on her shirt and some sick spandex shorts.

T levels jump.

CastIron

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Superman lives!
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2009, 09:12:22 PM »

Awesome video. :)

ASJChaotic

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2009, 09:14:16 PM »
Awesome video. :)

indeed.  8)

There are more, but damn youtube keeps removing the audio from almost all videos >:(

PS: if you watched it for the first time, were you ready for the zombie at the end?  :-X

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2009, 11:32:46 PM »
I wish I had your great genetics. 5 days a week for me my friend.

not that great my friend,.. i just dont like to train each part more than once per week.. when you train hard you need to take more off days to recover!

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2009, 11:41:42 PM »
i like to lift

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2009, 11:48:00 PM »
if working out like platz would pay off for the natural, but i dont think you should train very intense as a natural, just do the minimum but heavy with good technique and eat right.

i used to train leggs till failure all the time till i realised they didnt grew from it anymore. i had soreness from them a whole week.

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 12:22:44 AM »
if working out like platz would pay off for the natural, but i dont think you should train very intense as a natural, just do the minimum but heavy with good technique and eat right.

i used to train leggs till failure all the time till i realised they didnt grew from it anymore. i had soreness from them a whole week.

but yes in order to add more size to any part you have to go till the point of failure in every set!!.. i laugh at those who say (oh i will do this exercise 3 sets, each of EXACTLY 10 reps), then they count easily like ...8, 9, 10 then stop while they can do more!!.. you have to say i do this exercise for 3 sets, each of HOPEFULLY 10 reps.. so you have to use a weight that enables you to make maximum 10 reps or so.. they may be 8, 9, 10, or 11.. anything around 10 but not a must to be 10!!..

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 12:23:40 AM »
but yes in order to add more size to any part you have to go till the point of failure in every set!!.. i

What makes you think that?

CastIron

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Superman lives!
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 12:27:25 AM »

Oh no you didnt... :D

Mars

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 12:29:41 AM »
but yes in order to add more size to any part you have to go till the point of failure in every set!!.. i laugh at those who say (oh i will do this exercise 3 sets, each of EXACTLY 10 reps), then they count easily like ...8, 9, 10 then stop while they can do more!!.. you have to say i do this exercise for 3 sets, each of HOPEFULLY 10 reps.. so you have to use a weight that enables you to make maximum 10 reps or so.. they may be 8, 9, 10, or 11.. anything around 10 but not a must to be 10!!..

no you dont have to go to failure to add size or wants to get stronger. even heard people say its counterproductive to go to failure everytime.
look at big ron, he doesnt go to failure.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 12:31:02 AM »
Oh no you didnt... :D

This is DUCK: What are you doing with that image of a thrashy skank like that? >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

CastIron

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Superman lives!
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 12:33:58 AM »

Listen up chuck, you should do both! In fact, going to failure or not should be an exercise dependant variable. The more demanding an exercise is on the CNS, the farther away from failure you should stop the set. However, in exercises where the CNS is less involved, you should go to failure and possibly beyond.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 12:35:51 AM »
Listen up chuck, you should do both! In fact, going to failure or not should be an exercise dependant variable. The more demanding an exercise is on the CNS, the farther away from failure you should stop the set. However, in exercises where the CNS is less involved, you should go to failure and possibly beyond.

Do you have any studies and statements from respected researchers within the field to support your statement?

Sherief Shalaby

• Getbig V
  • Team Nasser
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 12:50:12 AM »

dorian himself was not counting any set unless it was till the point of failure!!.. this is why he always says "i was doing 3-4 set for each part".. he was not counting the 2 lighter sets he was doing before the "failure" set considering them just to prepare the muscle!!.. also as for myself if i dont go to failure i feel i am just doing some cardio!

yes you must sore for 1-2 days after each workout.. if this doesnt happen sure you dont train good enough..

CastIron

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
  • Superman lives!
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 12:53:58 AM »

Do you have any studies and statements from respected researchers within the field to support your statement?

Just listen Nancy..

Failure is simply the incapacity to maintain the required amount of force output (Edwards 1981, Davis 1996). You need to maximally stimulate muscle growth you need to create as much fatigue and damage to a muscle as possible. This is in accordance with the work of famed sport-scientist Vladimir Zatsiorsky who wrote that a muscle fiber that isn't fatigued during a set isn't being trained and thus won't be stimulated to grow. ;)

Taking a set to the point of muscle failure ensures that this set was as productive as it can be. Remember, simply recruiting a motor unit doesn't mean that it's been stimulated. To be stimulated, a muscle fiber must be recruited and fatigued.

What about CNS fatigue? While it isn't the only cause of muscle failure, CNS overload isn't to be overlooked when talking about training to failure. The nervous system is the boss! It's the CNS that recruits the motor units, sets their firing rates, and ensures proper muscular coordination. 

Central fatigue can contribute to muscle failure, especially the depletion of the neurotransmitters dopamine and acetylcholine. A decrease in acetylcholine levels is associated with a decrease in the efficiency of the neuromuscular transmission. In other words, when acetylcholine levels are low, it's harder for your CNS to recruit motor units.

So, if we look at the argument from this vantage point, we also have a catch-22. Stopping a set short of failure, while not worthless, might not provide maximal stimulation of the muscle fibers. 

You might recruit them, but those that aren't being fatigued won't be maximally stimulated. However, if you go to failure, you'll ensure maximal stimulation from the set, but may cause CNS overload, which could hamper your long-term progress. Soooooooooooooooo

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 12:58:06 AM »
dorian himself was not counting any set unless it was till the point of failure!!.. this is why he always says "i was doing 3-4 set for each part".. he was not counting the 2 lighter sets he was doing before the "failure" set considering them just to prepare the muscle!!.. also as for myself if i dont go to failure i feel i am just doing some cardio!

yes you must sore for 1-2 days after each workout.. if this doesnt happen sure you dont train good enough..

Dorian's word does not equal scientific findings. You are making statements without anything but belief.

Just listen Nancy..

Failure is simply the incapacity to maintain the required amount of force output (Edwards 1981, Davis 1996). You need to maximally stimulate muscle growth you need to create as much fatigue and damage to a muscle as possible. This is in accordance with the work of famed sport-scientist Vladimir Zatsiorsky who wrote that a muscle fiber that isn't fatigued during a set isn't being trained and thus won't be stimulated to grow. ;)

Taking a set to the point of muscle failure ensures that this set was as productive as it can be. Remember, simply recruiting a motor unit doesn't mean that it's been stimulated. To be stimulated, a muscle fiber must be recruited and fatigued.

What about CNS fatigue? While it isn't the only cause of muscle failure, CNS overload isn't to be overlooked when talking about training to failure. The nervous system is the boss! It's the CNS that recruits the motor units, sets their firing rates, and ensures proper muscular coordination. 

Central fatigue can contribute to muscle failure, especially the depletion of the neurotransmitters dopamine and acetylcholine. A decrease in acetylcholine levels is associated with a decrease in the efficiency of the neuromuscular transmission. In other words, when acetylcholine levels are low, it's harder for your CNS to recruit motor units.

So, if we look at the argument from this vantage point, we also have a catch-22. Stopping a set short of failure, while not worthless, might not provide maximal stimulation of the muscle fibers. 

You might recruit them, but those that aren't being fatigued won't be maximally stimulated. However, if you go to failure, you'll ensure maximal stimulation from the set, but may cause CNS overload, which could hamper your long-term progress. Soooooooooooooooo

Interesting. Please write more about this, especially on Zatsiorsky's views vs. other sport-scientists views in the area.