Author Topic: Brewer: driver's licenses are not sufficient to prove citizenship  (Read 4023 times)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
Re: Brewer: driver's licenses are not sufficient to prove citizenship
« Reply #75 on: June 03, 2010, 08:27:01 AM »
so youre currently allowed to drive in AZ without being a citizen?

with a valid drivers license...as far as I know the law hasnt been enacted yet...

and like I said at THAT POINT the law hadnt even been signed by brewer

drivers licenses are NOT NECISSARILY PROOF OF CITIZENSHIP...b/c not all states require proof of citizenship to obtain one...if you have a problem with carrying around proof of citizenship then get ahold of your reps...

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #76 on: June 03, 2010, 08:29:03 AM »
Are Arizona cops going to be required to know which states require legal residence or citizenship for a DL and which states do not?
why would he need to know they run the drivers license...they system could easily tell him...and even if it didnt he could carry a list or heaven forbid remember....

youre grabbing at straws guys...

ive proven your misconceptions wrong time and time again...youre going to be against this law no matter what youve made up your mind not only before it was put into action BUT BEFORE IT WAS EVEN SIGNED INTO LAW

loco

• Getbig V
  • loco like a fox
« Reply #77 on: June 03, 2010, 08:51:43 AM »
why would he need to know they run the drivers license...they system could easily tell him...and even if it didnt he could carry a list or heaven forbid remember....

youre grabbing at straws guys...

ive proven your misconceptions wrong time and time again...youre going to be against this law no matter what youve made up your mind not only before it was put into action BUT BEFORE IT WAS EVEN SIGNED INTO LAW

A useless law that's only going to cause trouble for American citizens, turning the state of Arizona into a police state.  Illegals will be detained and deported for what?  Just so that they can come right back, while many American citizens will be harassed, wrongly detained and some even deported.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #78 on: June 03, 2010, 08:58:08 AM »
A useless law that's only going to cause trouble for American citizens, turning the state of Arizona into a police state.  Illegals will be detained and deported for what?  Just so that they can come right back, while many American citizens will be harassed, wrongly detained and some even deported.
remember that arizona is working on securing their border...remember another part of the multiple part approach?

while some citizens will be detained which is the case WITH ALLL LAWSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

again there are ppl in prison that are innocent, should we quit prosecuting criminals b/c we may prosecute an innocent or should we try to limit that but still prosecute criminals?

right now youre advocating not prosecuting criminals b/c a few may be innocent when you should be advocating limiting the innocent and prosecuting the criminals

that is if you believe the illegals to be criminals? I dont believe Ive ever asked you that...yay or nay?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #79 on: June 03, 2010, 09:16:23 AM »
remember that arizona is working on securing their border...remember another part of the multiple part approach?

while some citizens will be detained which is the case WITH ALLL LAWSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!

again there are ppl in prison that are innocent, should we quit prosecuting criminals b/c we may prosecute an innocent or should we try to limit that but still prosecute criminals?

right now youre advocating not prosecuting criminals b/c a few may be innocent when you should be advocating limiting the innocent and prosecuting the criminals

that is if you believe the illegals to be criminals? I dont believe Ive ever asked you that...yay or nay?

Better to let 10 guilty men go free than to convict one innocent.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #80 on: June 03, 2010, 09:21:20 AM »
Better to let 10 guilty men go free than to convict one innocent.
what about 100 men? 1000?

I understand youre just making a point holmes but you see the problem is with that logic we wouldnt be able to convict anybody...so why even have laws?

your point is good in theory but many things are good in theory...the solution is somewhere between the 2 as in covicting those you believe to be guilty while trying everything to limit the conviction of innocents...

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #81 on: June 03, 2010, 10:56:50 AM »
I disagree Beach.  The law requires all American citizens passing through or living in Arizona to carry passport or birth certificate with them at all times.  How in the world is an American citizen supposed to know when he/she will be suspected to be an illegal by law enforcement officers when stopped for any other reason?  Not the governor, not the Arizona legislature, not even law enforcement agencies and officers can yet agree on how this law will be enforced.

I didn't read that in the law loco.  What specific provision says American citizens must have a passport (which many don't have) or a birth certificate? 

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #82 on: June 04, 2010, 04:07:02 AM »
what about 100 men? 1000?

I understand youre just making a point holmes but you see the problem is with that logic we wouldnt be able to convict anybody...so why even have laws?

your point is good in theory but many things are good in theory...the solution is somewhere between the 2 as in covicting those you believe to be guilty while trying everything to limit the conviction of innocents...

True, but it also depends on the crime... Of course we probably send more innocent people to prison for murder than assault, because one is given a greater social impact.

I'm sure it's probably closer to 1000 to one, but I can't be certain... I think it's easy to think less of the systems mistakes until the mistake is made to you.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #83 on: June 04, 2010, 07:33:53 AM »

True, but it also depends on the crime... Of course we probably send more innocent people to prison for murder than assault, because one is given a greater social impact.

I'm sure it's probably closer to 1000 to one, but I can't be certain... I think it's easy to think less of the systems mistakes until the mistake is made to you.
so should we simply do away with the system entirely or try to limit the mistakes within the system?

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2010, 05:37:16 PM »
so should we simply do away with the system entirely or try to limit the mistakes within the system?

That's not what I'm saying... I'm simply pointing out that it's not black and white like you seem to infer.