Author Topic: dips and chins  (Read 3731 times)

NoCalBbEr

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
dips and chins
« on: October 05, 2006, 05:53:00 PM »
hey guys
is it stay worth-wild to just do bodyweight dips and chins?? or just  forget them??

Its harder for me to do weighted chins and dips. b/c I've gotten so strong with them that its more to get the set ready to go. I've noticed that some pros just do bodyweight...

i do  dips for chest and tris and i can do about 15 reps..

well i stay grow If my muscles dont get challaged??

thx guys

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
Re: dips and chins
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 08:17:14 PM »
Just rep out with them as your last exercise and of course you'll still grow
big or bust

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 08:29:21 PM »
do you do chins underhand or overhand grip. and hows the technique. i used to think i could do alot of pullups. wide grip overhand grip ect. then i watched how mariuz pudjianowski (sp) does pull ups and started to do them like him. all the way up to your neck and all teh way down locking out at the bottom and pausing for about 1 second. i can only get about 9-10 this way. very hard but boy do you feel it.

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 10:07:41 PM »
Just rep out with them as your last exercise and of course you'll still grow
I wouldn't do them last EVERY time, they can be used as a warm up or as a "core" excersise. It also depends on how good you are at them. I am heavier now so i am not so good, When i do them, i usually do them first because they are so hard. I'd mix it up, along with my grip for chins.
bodybuildersreality.com

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 05:15:24 AM »
I wouldn't do them last EVERY time,

yes of course, the comment was made assuming there would be common sense used. He said that he has gotten strong at them thats why i suggested to use as a last exercise. ;)
big or bust

Sculpter

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 05:54:39 AM »
Dips & chins are very beneficial exercises.Your chinning style can be a difference in how it affects your training as stated.I always have done chins w/a little over shoulder width grip & pull until my upper chest touches the bar.If you want more intensity w/o adding more weight just slow down your rep speed & pause at the contracted position of each rep.Easy (not in performing!)but will make a difference!

dontknowit

• Getbig III
  • Masino's clit is kidnapped
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 06:23:57 AM »
Buy a belt and add some weight ?

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 11:27:36 AM »
Buy a belt and add some weight ?

There's some quality advice!

Or you can just put a DB inbetween your ankles.
~

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 05:07:42 PM »
hey guys
is it stay worth-wild to just do bodyweight dips and chins?? or just  forget them??

Its harder for me to do weighted chins and dips. b/c I've gotten so strong with them that its more to get the set ready to go. I've noticed that some pros just do bodyweight...

i do  dips for chest and tris and i can do about 15 reps..

well i stay grow If my muscles dont get challaged??

thx guys

THEY HAVE THEIR PLACE... btw 15 dips is pitiful... many of us do burnout sets of 30-40 or more... keep working

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 08:40:46 PM »
I do bodyweight chins all the way up and down and as my first exercise in back. I like the feel of it and try to keep it strict. I've gotten stronger in the back, so that's why I keep it in my routine.

Just started to do dips as the final ex. in my chest routine. Not feeling it alot in the chest, even though I'm leaning forward quite alot in the extension, but I do straighten up in the flexion, so maybe that's why. They are a killer though, and I think it's about finding the right grip on the bars. My right wrist hurts a bit when doing them, I don't know why. The bars are at a V angle.

Good luck, mate.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2006, 03:16:15 AM »
I do bodyweight chins all the way up and down and as my first exercise in back. I like the feel of it and try to keep it strict. I've gotten stronger in the back, so that's why I keep it in my routine.

Just started to do dips as the final ex. in my chest routine. Not feeling it alot in the chest, even though I'm leaning forward quite alot in the extension, but I do straighten up in the flexion, so maybe that's why. They are a killer though, and I think it's about finding the right grip on the bars. My right wrist hurts a bit when doing them, I don't know why. The bars are at a V angle.

Good luck, mate.

if you find it hard on the wrists get some tight wrist wraps to solidify them... should be more comfortable...

to your first point: i think BW dips are a great way to grease the elbows about before a heavy tri workout

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2006, 07:28:15 AM »
if you find it hard on the wrists get some tight wrist wraps to solidify them... should be more comfortable...

to your first point: i think BW dips are a great way to grease the elbows about before a heavy tri workout

Thanks, I have wrist wraps attached to my gloves. Is tying them tightly round the wrist enough or do I need more?

trulytoned

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2006, 02:08:47 PM »
Thanks, I have wrist wraps attached to my gloves. Is tying them tightly round the wrist enough or do I need more?

We dont know how tight they go, try them and see how comfortable it is
big or bust

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2006, 08:55:32 AM »
Good advice from Dontknowit, in the form of a question. Dips and chins are both mass producing exercises and should be taken full advantage of. They could easliy be the main movement in anyone's chest and back program. Some guy's prefer weight dip's as  superior to the BP. Ths same can be said for chin's for lat/back development. Both are well worth the effort, even though most guy's think their too hard to do at first. The more you do them, the better, bigger and stronger you get.  Good Luck.