Author Topic: Something i noticed on bb curls today..........  (Read 5337 times)

Cap

• Getbig V
  • Trueprotein.com 5% discount code= CSP111
Re: Something i noticed on bb curls today..........
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2009, 03:01:14 PM »
Keep the pissing contest to a minimum guys, just argue your points.  Valid points on both sides.
Squishy face retard

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2009, 09:20:27 PM »
the excuse you hear most often is that "you want to lower full a full stretch to hit the lower part of the muscle" which is a crock of shit, the muscle you're training either contracts fully or it doesn't contract no matter what "form" you use, this "full stretch" nonsense is just a myth like many others in the gym world.

The "full stretch" argument is related to the "working harder" one when it comes to full ROM and strict. Neither holds water in my opinion, been there done that. There's no basis that i can see for the claim that full ROM is any advantage, and it's not safer.

I don't get any shoulder in preachers from doing partials, it's completely on the bis. What you're talking about, rocking at the top is common and is a little bit of cheating on preachers that is effective, can be done with full or partial ROM.

If i do full ROM preachers it highly stresses the area around the top of the forearms/bottom of bis, which isn't what i want to hit anyway. I've strained that area by trying to stick with full ROM to the bottom, and by doing strict. Partials center the effect in the middle/belly of the muscle and are easier on the muscles, besides which if you believe in time under tension/constant tension on the muscle, full ROM isn't as good.

Same thing for squats, my best results were from box squats, not doing full ROM. Not just safer, more effective also.

I just hurt one of my lats from doing full ROM hammer pulldowns. When it's better i'll stay with 80% ROM that weren't causing problems.

If the elbow problem from doing curls was on the inside of the elbow, it's called golfer's elbow. It usually happens from either curls or lat work with certain grips-essentially without realizing it while using those pulling muscles you're also squeezing your elbows and arms together during the exercise, even though it's not obvious. Over time that creates the pain. If you try slight variations and change the form a little you can find something that will work and the pain will go away.

Found a local gym i like..sweet..people are serious, good looking trim, nice vibe, music..it's a winner. ;)

I read somewhere that a better stretch leads to better contraction, which certainly seems to be true for me on incline db curls, but I do think you're right about preachers since there isn't a great stretch on them anyways.  Full stretch doesn't seem to be too important to Dennis James and Paul Demayo in these videos though.  Dennis doesn't go very deep on his incline db presses and flyes and Paul doesn't get much stretch on any of the triceps exercises he does here.  I'm gonna give it a shot, going deep on
overhead triceps exercises doesn't feel too great on the elbows.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2009, 02:38:02 AM »
I`ve always done my curls with a slight cheat to get the weight started,then I do an extra slow negative.

My best lifts are 155-5 at a bodyweight of 155,and 135-10 at 165 pounds in pretty good form.

An old friend of mine would do 225 for 5 reps but on his 5th. rep he would practically be in the parking lot. LOL  :)

Dude would do curls like they were reverse cleans...............spl itting under the weight and walking all over the gym with 225 on the bar.

He tried this shit at Girondas gym out in Cali on a trip in the late 70`s and Vince chased him out and told him never to return !  :)

Get Rowdy

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2009, 01:43:38 AM »
Guys, just letting you know that I've used the suggestions, and now use about 75% of the ROM on triceps exercises that I was using before.  MUCH better feeling for my elbows, and the contraction and pump is just as good, probably even better. 

Also let my elbows move out more naturally in the barbell curls.  Did those Croc curls the other day and got an awesome pump, the constant fluid motion allowed me the most weight and reps I've ever done on bb curls. 

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 06:56:59 AM »
Guys, just letting you know that I've used the suggestions, and now use about 75% of the ROM on triceps exercises that I was using before.  MUCH better feeling for my elbows, and the contraction and pump is just as good, probably even better. 

Also let my elbows move out more naturally in the barbell curls.  Did those Croc curls the other day and got an awesome pump, the constant fluid motion allowed me the most weight and reps I've ever done on bb curls. 

Swwet