Author Topic: What were u doing on 911  (Read 2359 times)

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
What were u doing on 911
« on: September 11, 2008, 01:57:40 PM »
I ask everybody this when we talk about the war etc....It has become our Kennedy assassination. I'd like to hear what u guys were doing, thinking, feeling etc.
L

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
  • Would you hold still? You're making me fuck up...
Re: What were u doing on 911
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2008, 02:00:35 PM »
Played hooky, was home from middle school watching Price is Right, and eating soup.

S

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 02:02:18 PM »
I just finished up a morning football pre season lifting routine, when the coach busted open the locker room door and had tears in his eyes, and mumbled that we were under attack, as he went to go tell the strength coach to cancel the rest of the session.

Neurotoxin

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2008, 02:05:34 PM »
i was at my office in the mens room taking a dump.

NT

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 02:06:23 PM »
I was playing my guitar while tipping a few.  It was a sunny morning.

freespirit

• Getbig V
  • Revolt!
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 02:07:33 PM »
At work.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2008, 02:09:14 PM »
RPF..u were in Middle School.....lol.

Anyway i was just headed into my Company orderly room. I must have just switched off Stern before plane 1 hit. I went by a buddies' office to talk over some football plays for our Battlion flag football team, we'd just made the Post finals. His wife called and said a small plane hit the Trade Center. We could not get his TV working, so we went over to mine. We got it on just in time to see plane 2 hit, at first we thought it was a repeat. As soon as we figured out what we were seeing he split. My 1Sgt came in and asked me what was going on, I told him to get everybody in and that all passes leaves everything was cancelled. We sat there calling people up and watching everything. Finally the Post HQ figured out what to do and we began getting armed patrols out and even talked about getting Brads to the front gate, which my CDR talked them out of.
L

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2008, 02:09:35 PM »
S

youandme

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 02:14:26 PM »
RPF..u were in Middle School.....lol.

Anyway i was just headed into my Company orderly room. I must have just switched off Stern before plane 1 hit. I went by a buddies' office to talk over some football plays for our Battlion flag football team, we'd just made the Post finals. His wife called and said a small plane hit the Trade Center. We could not get his TV working, so we went over to mine. We got it on just in time to see plane 2 hit, at first we thought it was a repeat. As soon as we figured out what we were seeing he split. My 1Sgt came in and asked me what was going on, I told him to get everybody in and that all passes leaves everything was cancelled. We sat there calling people up and watching everything. Finally the Post HQ figured out what to do and we began getting armed patrols out and even talked about getting Brads to the front gate, which my CDR talked them out of.

That was basically our reaction, two of the 5 coaches were former military, and they were just pissed as all hell, if none of us knew any better you would think that the enemy was right outside in the parking lot.
We were hearing the Penagon was under attack, and that the White House was next, so we were just in total disbelief. Then we rolled a big TV in and saw plane number 2, hit as the reporter was telling us that was real and not a re run, everyone kept thinking that is was a replay.

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2008, 02:17:58 PM »
We did the same when the second tower collapsed.......we thought it was a replay.
L

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2008, 02:18:53 PM »
I was at the gym.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2008, 02:32:09 PM »
Played hooky, was home from middle school watching Price is Right, and eating soup.

i was a substitute teacher in a 7th grade class that day

The MJ Morning show on 93.3 WFLZ was on the radio as i pulled in at 8:47 for an 8:45 teaching job.  "A plane hit the trade tower" was all they knew.  I mentioned to the secretary, who went to the TV.  minutes later, an announcement went out to alert all teachers to turn on their televisions.

I had 30 kids in the first period.  25 in 2nd.  15 in 3rd.  By fourth period, there were only 6 or 7 kids.  All the parents were pulling their kids out.  Kids cried all day.  Nobody knew anythjng.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2008, 02:53:18 PM »
I was asleep.  Wife woke me up to say we were "under attack."  After I figured out what happened, and heard that they had a number of planes still in the air, I decided to keep my kids home from school, and not go to work, particularly given my office was in a high rise.  :-\  Was really in a daze.  Must have watched TV for about 24 hours straight. 

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 02:57:03 PM »
I was in downtown Toronto enjoying the film festival with some friends from Atlanta GA, when we got an urgent phone call saying turn on the TV. We turned on the TV and couldn't believe our eyes.

The traffic was chaos, alot of businesses closed, as skyscrapers all over toronto emptied all at once because there was speculation they were heading for our tall buildings too. Anyone who knows the layout of Toronto's downtown core, has a good idea of what a mess Yonge Street, Bay Street, and all the other arteries headed towards the Gardiner Expressway, and Lakeshore Boulevards were like.

I simply headed north, back up to the Park Hyatt, and watched the TV in the lounge with many of the other shocked film festival delegates.

We saw many people in tears, as they realized one of their colleagues were on one of the flights.

It was pretty sombre.

w

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 02:59:12 PM »
After that we got crazy, moving HETS or heavy equipment trucks to the main gates to block them, we issued weapons to certain folks. It ws nuts. I had a guy who was in Mongolia with his missionary parents. He called me that night from Beijing trying to figure out how to get home. We finally figured he'd have to go to the embassy, so he shaved his beard and went over. They got him on the next bird out, I guess the Chinese went apeshit as they didn't know he was active military.
L

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2008, 03:00:25 PM »
We had all the world on our team after 9/11....

Our Presidential administration quickly ruined that...
S

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2008, 03:01:03 PM »
We had all the world on our team after 9/11....

Our Presidential administration quickly ruined that...

Hi, My Pet Goat.

MindSpin

• Getbig V
  • MMA > Boxing
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2008, 03:01:43 PM »
Trying to catch a plane from SCA to NCA.  As soon as I heard what happened, I grabbed a rental car and drove instead...
w

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »
S

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2008, 03:04:59 PM »
Come on, if he spazed out, the country would go nuts. Besides i think the Secret Service was training to figure out what to do, take him to AF 1 or get him somewhere else.
L

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2008, 03:14:58 PM »
Come on, if he spazed out, the country would go nuts. Besides i think the Secret Service was training to figure out what to do, take him to AF 1 or get him somewhere else.

I'm not saying he should have spazed out, he should have got up, left the school and done his job as Commander-in-chief.

I can't believe this doesn't infuriate a military man like yourself.   
S

2ND COMING

• Getbig V
  • Might is right.
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2008, 03:24:47 PM »
i was 12 and in middle school

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2008, 03:41:58 PM »
i was at work, and one of our co-workers came running into the office screaming.."something horrible  has happened. a plane just crashed into one of the twin towers!" my asshole boss made us work that whole day. i was supposed to go to a wake that night for someone i knew, and i never made it there cause they closed all the major highways in  new jersey. my cousin had to spend the night with us cause she couldn't get home to staten island, and my brother never got home that night from his job in new york until alost 11 pm. i went to my friends house that night, and we all just cried hysterically. the lady at the place where i alwyas had lunch at the time was crying too. "f'ing bastards took out all those innocent people", she kept saying! god help us all.  :'(  i had nightmares of plane crashes for about 2 weeks after that, and i wound up taking a day off of work the following week. one of my co-workers lost her nephew.

Eyeball Chambers

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2008, 03:44:21 PM »
i was at work, and one of our co-workers came running into the office screaming.."something horrible  has happened. a plane just crashed into one of the twin towers!" my asshole boss made us work that whole day. i was supposed to go to a wake that night for someone i knew, and i never made it there cause they closed all the major highways in  new jersey. my cousin had to spend the night with us cause she couldn't get home to staten island, and my brother never got home that night from his job in new york until alost 11 pm. i went to my friends house that night, and we all just cried hysterically. the lady at the place where i alwyas had lunch at the time was crying too. "f'ing bastards took out all those innocent people", she kept saying! god help us all.  :'(  i had nightmares of plane crashes for about 2 weeks after that, and i wound up taking a day off of work the following week. one of my co-workers lost her nephew.

Wow, it really upset us here, but I can't even imagine how it was for people like you that lived in the area...
S

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2008, 04:04:12 PM »
Wow, it really upset us here, but I can't even imagine how it was for people like you that lived in the area...

My cousin witnessed it from her place, ...she hasn't been the same since.

One of my other cousins had an appt. in one of the towers that morning. If not for a delay on the subway,
...he'd have been in the tower when the plane struck.

My friend Serge's father worked in the tower, it took us over a week to find him. He had been injured.

My friend John lost his nephew in the blast. I just found out recently his nephew was one of the heros that day that helped many people, but never made it out himself.

My friend Robert's wife barely managed to get out of the Pentagon alive.

Tons of people impacted.   :'(

When Serge went to NYC a few weeks after it happened, he told me he could still smell the smell of burning flesh in the air.
w