Author Topic: myostatin update  (Read 5518 times)

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
myostatin update
« on: February 19, 2007, 04:14:18 PM »
http://www.forbes.com/forbes/2007/0226/074_print.html

A brawny infant's mutation has set off a hunt for a muscular dystrophy drug.

The child was the talk of the Neonatal Ward at Charite Hospital in Berlin, Germany. His biceps and and thighs were twice as thick as a normal newborn's despite typical height and weight. He looked like he'd been lifting weights in the womb.

This was in 2000. The child's doctor called in pediatric neurologist and geneticist Markus Schuelke. He thought the boy might have had a muscular disease but then remembered that Se-Jin Lee, a Johns Hopkins University geneticist, had produced overly buff mice by knocking out the gene for a protein called myostatin, which is supposed to slow muscle growth. Schuelke thought here was the first evidence of a myostatin mutation in a human.

Four years later the world heard about the boy for the first time, when a group of researchers including Schuelke and Lee proved the boy had a myostatin mutation. By then the child could hold a 7-pound dumbbell in each of his outstretched hands. One writer to the New England Journal of Medicine speculated that the mythical Hercules was a myostatin mutant, too.

The news about this rare mutation precipitated an intensive effort to design drugs--call them myostatin blockers--that would let muscles flourish without onerous side effects. The work holds the most promise for patients with Duchenne muscular dystrophy, a debilitating and deadly disease diagnosed in 600 American children, almost all boys, every year. Corticosteroids and heart-failure drugs have allowed some patients to survive into their 40s, but they are still strapped to ventilators and require round-the-clock care.

"This is a like a bright light in a fairly dark tunnel," says Patricia Furlong, founder of Parent Project Muscular Dystrophy. She lost two teenage sons to Duchenne. The research also offers hope for patients with Lou Gehrig's disease and age-related weakening.

Myostatin was discovered in mice in 1992 in Lee's Johns Hopkins lab. In 1996 he proved its importance by showing that mice without the myostatin-producing gene got twice as big. The next year he discovered that the bulging Belgian Blue cow was a myostatin mutant, the first of eight prized cattle breeds later found to have the mutation. The company he had cofounded, MetaMorphix, is working on manipulating myostatin to beef up livestock. Wyeth picked up the rights to develop a drug for humans. Its experimental antibody drug produced bulked-up mice in 2002, and results of a trial in adults with muscular dystrophy are expected as early as March.

Already there are concerns that the drugs might be used by athletes as a kind of supersteroid, and dietary-supplement companies have introduced knockoffs made from sea algae for that purpose. "They don't work," says Schuelke.

Schuelke and Lee still see room for failure. Side effects could crop up, and Lee's work shows that real muscle growth may require a broader attack than the Wyeth drug's targeted approach, because there are a host of mysterious myostatin-like proteins that also dampen muscle growth. Lee doesn't know how many. Acceleron Pharma is set to begin human trials on a drug that mimics a cell receptor that could disable many of the myostatin-like proteins. The Cambridge, Mass. firm has raised $56 million from venture funds, including Polaris Venture Partners and OrbiMed Advisors.

Schuelke continues to see the muscular boy he found in Berlin seven years ago. Though there were fears that his heart might get too thick, the boy is completely healthy. He's strong but no longer abnormally so. It may be that myostatin's effects are most dramatic during fetal development, but that's one of many guesses in this genetic mystery.

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
Re: myostatin update
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 11:52:18 PM »
Schuelke continues to see the muscular boy he found in Berlin seven years ago. Though there were fears that his heart might get too thick, the boy is completely healthy. He's strong but no longer abnormally so. It may be that myostatin's effects are most dramatic during fetal development, but that's one of many guesses in this genetic mystery.

This is the part that makes me less optimistic.  Maybe he will blow up when he hits puberty.  This should be interesting

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2007, 12:29:08 AM »
This is the part that makes me less optimistic.  Maybe he will blow up when he hits puberty.  This should be interesting

Amazing. It almost scares me what the 2017 Mr. Olympia is gonna look like.
It's Hip to be Square!

Hendrix

• Getbig IV
  • Male Silverback Gorillas Do Not Take Drugs.
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 12:36:21 AM »
Actually the first reported case was a man in England and the scientist who actually put a name to this gene.
I am very sorry i cannot put a name to this documentry but it was in the Mid to late 90s, i have tried to find a name to this documenrty and searched the internet for this documentry but no luck sorry.
To put along story short the Documentry was about a guy who developed excess muscle in his legs and had to have muscle removed from his legs from just walking, very scary shit,he had this mutant gene and the scientist found in blood testing.
Anyway you look at it there will be a sythetic drug to replicate this gene if there is not one all ready(China Olympics).This drug will happen there is no doubt in my mind with muscle heads walking around at 300 pounds without lifting a weight.Scary shit but when they find a cure for Muscular Dystrophy there will be Bodybuilders demanding the shit.I for one will be buying stock in the pharmescutical company that finds a cure for MD.For the doubters there being a drug they have been doing it in the lab for a decade.
BOBB SAPP KILLS

Hendrix

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 12:38:12 AM »
Sorry but it going to happen.
BOBB SAPP KILLS

Hendrix

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2007, 12:39:10 AM »
 ???
BOBB SAPP KILLS

Hendrix

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2007, 12:40:41 AM »
 ???
BOBB SAPP KILLS

Hendrix

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2007, 12:41:58 AM »
 ???
BOBB SAPP KILLS

Hendrix

• Getbig IV
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2007, 12:43:07 AM »
 ???
BOBB SAPP KILLS

finurface

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2007, 12:52:33 AM »
i wish i was this "mutant" boy...

Honestly, i think american army will take control of any research about this as soon as it shows serious results ;
they re going to create exosquelettons too, and soon....

smaul

• Getbig IV
  • Lets build some hurting bombs!
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 12:58:33 AM »
Surely this can only be used pre-fertilization?  Isnt that the only way to knock out a gene, do it from the first cell division?
It hasn't helped...

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 01:57:08 AM »
Surely this can only be used pre-fertilization?  Isnt that the only way to knock out a gene, do it from the first cell division?
no, gene therapy is all the rage now. That's where the R&D money is going.

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 01:58:30 AM »
If I remember correctly there was a problem with myostatin gene therapy: the muscles got bigger, but not stronger. Something to do with less and deformed mitochondria, IIRC. So BBers might get bigger, but not stronger.

andydude00

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2007, 02:03:30 AM »
That cow is swole.

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2007, 02:28:42 AM »
If I remember correctly there was a problem with myostatin gene therapy: the muscles got bigger, but not stronger. Something to do with less and deformed mitochondria, IIRC. So BBers might get bigger, but not stronger.

Good thing that's their goal.
It's Hip to be Square!

phreak

• Getbig V
  • Food is amazing
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2007, 03:15:12 AM »
Good thing that's their goal.
On one hand I agree. Yet when I frequent this board I see that the average member easily benches 400 for reps, so apparently most BBers are incredibly strong too.

The.Giant

• Getbig IV
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2007, 03:42:18 AM »
On one hand I agree. Yet when I frequent this board I see that the average member easily benches 400 for reps, so apparently most BBers are incredibly strong too.

LOL yeah, we're all 280 lbs of shredded mass who do 500 lbs incline the day before placing at the Mr. O.  ;D

Don't believe any stats posted here. There's like 4 guys who have ever backed up what they lift with videos. If you don't see competitor stars just assume it's bullshit...hell, assume it even when you DO see competitor stars or a pro status.

I'm kinda bored, think i'll go put up a grand for a set or "widow makers"  ::)  ;D
It's Hip to be Square!

chris-a

• Getbig III
  • fundamentalist atheist - guns + religion don't mix
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2007, 06:07:22 AM »
how long before muscle tech sponsor the cow? ;D

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2007, 08:29:37 AM »
how long before muscle tech sponsor the cow? ;D

as soon as the cow can get bloated for a before pic.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
  • What's that in the bushes?
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2007, 02:43:15 PM »
There already is a drug... and it can be used post-natally and it doesn't seem to have any side efffects other than the rapid muscle growth (no cardiac muscle growth etc). Those in the know jokingly refer to it by the (pre-emptive) hypothetical name it was given by Dan Duchaine "DORIANABOL".

The Luke

shiftedShapes

• Getbig IV
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2007, 03:23:21 PM »
There already is a drug... and it can be used post-natally and it doesn't seem to have any side efffects other than the rapid muscle growth (no cardiac muscle growth etc). Those in the know jokingly refer to it by the (pre-emptive) hypothetical name it was given by Dan Duchaine "DORIANABOL".

The Luke

Hey Luke please give us more info on this.  Any anecdotal evidence, or PICS obviously would be great.

Hoping this is more real than sasquatch

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2007, 05:31:45 PM »
Can't remember the details offhand, but the research is currently being done in Singapore and the drug has some numerical nomenclature designation RC126 or some such... I'll dig up a link. Animal testing is underway, but they reckon it extrapolates to a gain of 8-10lbs per week for a human...

The Luke

PS-Bigfoot is real... haven't seen one, but I've found tracks and heard them.

The Luke

• Getbig IV
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2007, 05:57:11 PM »
Sorry guys...

There's so much research on monoclonal antibodies these days I couldn't readily dig up the details of the first animal studies... geneticists are only interested in the newest breakthroughs... However I did find a place where you can buy the stuff:

http://www.biocompare.com/informationrequest/177366/item/3194/matrix/Anti-Myostatin-Antibody-Unconjugated-from-CHEMICON.html

...expect a usable dose to set you back about $20,000 a week.

Good luck.

The Luke

Havenbull

• Getbig IV
  • Damn it
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2007, 06:06:38 PM »
how's the mutant kid doing now, seven years later

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2007, 06:19:07 PM »
as soon as the cow can get bloated for a before pic.
;D ;D ;D