Author Topic: Sources: Chargers head coach Schottenheimer fired  (Read 9083 times)

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: Sources: Chargers head coach Schottenheimer fired
« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2007, 03:15:24 PM »
The Marty mess
Chargers mishandled entire Schottenheimer situation

Peter King

Regarding the Marty Schottenheimer debacle in San Diego: I blame president Dean Spanos and general manager A.J. Smith for two enormous mistakes they made along the road to kicking the coach out the door:

1. The idiotic "contract extension'' offer that was made to Schottenheimer when the Chargers announced he would not be fired. How do you offer the sixth-winningest coach of all time -- or some losing schmoe, for that matter -- an extension with only $1 million of the $4.5-million guaranteed? What Spanos was doing with that extension was saying: "Marty, we beg you, don't take this slap-in-the-face offer. And let's all go our separate ways after this season, when we can promote Wade Phillips or Cam Cameron to the head job.'' Oooops.

2. To me, the job of a team president and general manager, when your team is in full crisis mode (as the Chargers were in the last few days, seeing four of their top five or six assistant coaches walk out the door to coordinator or head-coaching jobs) is to be an olive-branch-toting guy. One of them needed to walk into the head coach's office and say: "For the sake of the franchise, we can't let this season go down the drain. We've got to repair this relationship for the next few months and go forward with the best interests of the team in mind.'' Neither did.

I support Schottenheimer if he felt that hiring his well-traveled brother, Kurt, to be defensive coordinator was the best decision for the team. Can't Schottenheimer have any say on who he goes to battle with for the next season? Granted, Kurt Schottenheimer is not a very well-regarded coordinator candidate. But if you're going to bring Marty back, you're not going to let him pick the players and he's got gaping holes on his coaching, he should be allowed to pick the staff. And from the smoke signals wafting from Chargerland, that was a major problem at the end.

I like Smith. He's great at his job, which is 80 percent acquiring talent. On balanace, no one since 2001 has done a better job of building a franchise through the draft than the Chargers, and it's mostly due to Smith's keen eye. But he's got to look himself in the mirror on the other 20 percent. This is a people business, and being autocratic all the time is not the way to earn respect from your co-workers.

In my business -- in fact, in any business -- if the underling and the boss aren't speaking, and if the relationship is hopelessly severed, you move on. You switch jobs. That's the way this relationship was a month ago. And Spanos should have made the decision then, when his staff wouldn't yet have been in tatters.

Now that the Colts have won a Super Bowl, the Chargers now are in danger of becoming the most disappointing team of the decade. With a 35-13 record over the past three years (New England is only one win better), San Diego has made the playoffs twice in those three seasons and lost to inferior teams, the Jets in 2004 and Pats in 2006. No playoff wins despite a .729 winning percentage in the regular season. The last month doesn't help their outlook in any way. In fact, with all the mayhem, it'll be stunning if the Chargers can dig their way out of this horrible web of mismanagement to finally be a playoff factor next season.

My only advice? Interview Baltimore defensive coordinator Rex Ryan. It's insane this guy doesn't have a head-coaching job yet. The San Diego defense under Ryan would be even more hell-bent-for-leather next fall.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2007, 03:21:03 PM »

Rex Ryan, son of Buddy Ryan would be a solid coach some day, but i think the Chargers need a higher profile or proven coach. besides i dont think many teams have him as a consideration, and the NFL teams leave no stone unturned.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: February 13, 2007, 03:22:59 PM »
Rex Ryan, son of Buddy Ryan would be a solid coach some day, but i think the Chargers need a higher profile or proven coach. besides i dont think many teams have him as a consideration, and the NFL teams leave no stone unturned.

Must be tempting for Parcells since he's all over the place one moment to the next. It would be almost a can't-lose situation for him or Jimmy Johnson.

Maybe Gruden could be talked to.

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2007, 05:37:51 PM »
Must be tempting for Parcells since he's all over the place one moment to the next. It would be almost a can't-lose situation for him or Jimmy Johnson.

Maybe Gruden could be talked to.

Ah yes..Gruden. i forgot about him. he's young, smart and has a huge appetite for success. good one Pump.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #54 on: February 14, 2007, 10:12:53 AM »
USC Coach Pete Carroll is staying mum about his possible involvement in the San Diego Chargers' head coaching search.

Carroll issued a statement through the school Tuesday indicating he had nothing to say on the subject and declined to comment when reporters approached him on campus.

Carroll has rejected repeated overtures from NFL teams in recent years but interviewed with the Miami Dolphins last month. The Chargers have begun interviewing other candidates but several executives around the league say they expect the club to make a serious run at luring Carroll back to the NFL.

San Francisco 49ers linebackers coach Mike Singletary is to be the first candidate to interview for the San Diego Chargers' head coaching job.

He's scheduled to meet with Chargers officials early today.

Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera also is to be in San Diego today to interview for the job.

The Chargers reportedly have requested permission to interview 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner, Seattle Seahawks defensive backs coach Jim Mora and defensive coordinators Rex Ryan of the Baltimore Ravens and Mike Zimmer of the Atlanta Falcons as well. Their list also is said to include New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs.

According to an NFL source, the Chargers plan to interview Chicago Bears defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, San Francisco 49ers offensive coordinator Norv Turner and Seattle Seahawks defensive backs coach Jim Mora in the coming days.

There have been reports that the Chargers also are interested in Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator Rex Ryan, New Orleans Saints defensive coordinator Gary Gibbs and 49ers linebackers coach Mike Singletary.

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #55 on: February 14, 2007, 05:24:50 PM »

You can quote me on this: "There is a zero percent chance that Pete Carroll will leave USC to coach anywhere else next season."

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #56 on: February 14, 2007, 05:32:29 PM »
You can quote me on this: "There is a zero percent chance that Pete Carroll will leave USC to coach anywhere else next season."

Carroll would be stupid to leave, not only because he's got one of the top college jobs but also because he hasn't proven he can cut it in the NFL.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #57 on: February 14, 2007, 09:12:30 PM »
"but also because he hasn't proven he can cut it in the NFL."

actually that would be his main reason for leaving ::)

E

E

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #58 on: February 15, 2007, 01:49:13 AM »
"but also because he hasn't proven he can cut it in the NFL."

actually that would be his main reason for leaving ::)

E

My point, one that again went over Earl's pea-sized brain, was that if he considered the cost-benefit equation it wouldn't be worth leaving. Everyone already knows the obvious reason why he'd want to coach in the NFL.

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #59 on: February 15, 2007, 05:01:52 AM »

Pete Carroll has proved he isn't a good head coach in the NFL. He is a college coach.
The House that Ruth built

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #60 on: February 15, 2007, 07:17:27 AM »
Pete Carroll has proved he isn't a good head coach in the NFL. He is a college coach.

He's a great college coach.  His recruiting classes will always be among the best in the country.  USC will always be in the "national championship"  ::) race.  He is one of the kings of L.A.  He's making good money.  He'd be a fool to leave. 

That said, if he wanted to be a fool, San Diego would be a good choice.  He would take over the no. 1 offense in the NFL and arguably the best overall team in the NFL with the best player in the NFL. 

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #61 on: February 15, 2007, 09:46:35 AM »
The LA Times is reporting that Pete Caroll is not in the mix for the Chargers job.

Earl1972

• Getbig V
  • #EarlToo
« Reply #62 on: February 15, 2007, 11:45:56 AM »
My point, one that again went over Earl's pea-sized brain, was that if he considered the cost-benefit equation it wouldn't be worth leaving. Everyone already knows the obvious reason why he'd want to coach in the NFL.

your stupid post didn't illustrate that point cupcake :-*

E
E

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2007, 01:24:19 PM »
There are plenty of good coaches in the NFL or college that aren't hyped as brand-names & are worthwhile, including one mentioned at the end of the following article. They're still there because so many NFL GMs and owners think inside the box, such as Jerry Jones seriously considering Norv Turner for the Cowboys.

In the end analysis, the Chargers went "Inside the box."

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2007, 02:02:37 PM »
In the end analysis, the Chargers went "Inside the box."

Horrible choice. The only good news is that they hired Ron Rivera as an assistant, thus if things go badly they'd already have someone potentially in place as a replacement.

This also potentially hurts the 49ers, because Turner had a huge positive influence on their QB. Hopefully their QB's already learned enough that it won't matter.