Author Topic: Anyone reading manga here?  (Read 2045 times)

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
Anyone reading manga here?
« on: July 15, 2008, 12:48:23 AM »
Straying from the Marvel discussion, i came to think about manga.

I read a lot, mainly to improve my japanese reading skillz, but also because they are cheap, you get a lot to read and they sell very pricey in germany. So i buy them in japan, read them and sell them in germany if i didn't like them too much.

My favorites right now are:

Vagabond:
The story of the famous sword fencer Miyamoto Musashi. Excellent drawings and storyline, this is more a graphic novel than a merecomicbook.

Baki the grappler:
A fighting manga. 15 year old Hanma Baki wants to become the strongest fighter in the world. He fights in underground fights in Tokyo.
THe story gets weirder and weirder, but the manga is so macho, it's fun to read.

Basilisk:
5 volume short story. The story of two famous ninja clans fighting each other until no one is left, despite the clan elder's grandson and the other clan elder's granddaughter are in love with each other. This one, as Vagabond, is based on a novel frmo the beginning of the 20th century. great story, lots of sex and violence as well.

Alex23

Re: Anyone reading manga here?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2008, 12:50:03 AM »
::)

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2008, 01:05:59 AM »

thanks for the kind answer, i didn't think you could answer in a thread that goes about "reading" in any sense.

i bet all you read is the "best before" date on the things you buy.

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2008, 01:28:50 AM »
Failed.

You're so dumb it almost hurts me physically.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 10:00:13 AM »
I like it, but I'm no pro -> meaning all the different names are unknown to me.
I like Golden Boy the most.
If I remember correctly "Fist of the northern star" was splendid - awesome artists.

Dreadlord

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 12:56:18 PM »
I read a bit of the fist of the blue sky (north star spinoff) in English. Saiyuki and GTO
Manga isnt that cheap in the US.

I have the  Baki Hanma tv series. based on your recommendation I'll download the basilisk tv series.

Any more good titles DK? With description please. Samurai/warrior stuff preferably. Any good manga tv series?

I have:
Ninja scroll
Saiyuki
Samurai deeper kyo
GTO
Devil may cry

Thanks in advance

DK II

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2008, 02:11:38 AM »
I read a bit of the fist of the blue sky (north star spinoff) in English. Saiyuki and GTO
Manga isnt that cheap in the US.

I have the  Baki Hanma tv series. based on your recommendation I'll download the basilisk tv series.

Any more good titles DK? With description please. Samurai/warrior stuff preferably. Any good manga tv series?

I have:
Ninja scroll
Saiyuki
Samurai deeper kyo
GTO
Devil may cry

Thanks in advance

Hmm, i don't really know too many titles available in english, but one that is available and that i can recommend is "The Hakkenden" or Legend of the eight Dog Warriors.

The story takes place in the Sengoku era, where 8 Samurai are born in different parts of the country, each of them holding a pearl with the chinese character for one of the eight virtues of bushido in his hands. They find each other and the eight stories evolve to one story.