Author Topic: It's not just the weather that's cooler in Canada  (Read 32147 times)

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
It's not just the weather that's cooler in Canada
« on: January 23, 2006, 12:08:27 AM »

Well Folks, it's finally Election Day up here in Canada, and I thought I'd take this final opportunity to share this 2.5 year old article from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, and reminisce about this beautiful country of mine, ...country that I love and am so extremely proud of, ...at least I will be until later this evening when the poll results come in. Barring a miracle, or an act of God, ...this place is gonna change  :'(

Pittsburgh-Post Gazette,
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

You live next door to a clean-cut, quiet guy. He never plays loud music or throws raucous parties. He doesn't gossip over the fence, just smiles politely and offers you some tomatoes. His lawn is cared-for, his house is neat as a pin and you get the feeling he doesn't always lock his front door. He wears Dockers. You hardly know he's there.

And then one day you discover that he has pot in his basement, spends his weekends at peace marches and that guy you've seen mowing the yard is his spouse.

Allow me to introduce Canada.

The Canadians are so quiet that you may have forgotten they're up there, but they've been busy doing some surprising things. It's like discovering that the mice you are dimly aware of in your attic have been building an espresso machine.

Did you realize, for example, that our reliable little tag-along brother never joined the Coalition of the Willing? Canada wasn't willing, as it turns out, to join the fun in Iraq. I can only assume American diner menus weren't angrily changed to include "freedom bacon," because nobody here eats the stuff anyway.

And then there's the wild drug situation: Canadian doctors are authorized to dispense medical marijuana. Parliament is considering legislation that would not exactly legalize marijuana possession, as you may have heard, but would reduce the penalty for possession of under 15 grams to a fine, like a speeding ticket. This is to allow law enforcement to concentrate resources on traffickers; if your garden is full of wasps, it's smarter to go for the nest rather than trying to swat every individual bug. Or, in the United States, bong.

Now, here's the part that I, as an American, can't understand. These poor benighted pinkos are doing everything wrong. They have a drug problem: Marijuana offenses have doubled since 1991. And Canada has strict gun control laws, which means that the criminals must all be heavily armed, the law-abiding civilians helpless and the government on the verge of a massive confiscation campaign. (The laws have been in place since the '70s, but I'm sure the government will get around to the confiscation eventually.) They don't even have a death penalty!

And yet ... nationally, overall crime in Canada has been declining since 1991. Violent crimes fell 13 percent in 2002. Of course, there are still crimes committed with guns -- brought in from the United States, which has become the major illegal weapons supplier for all of North America -- but my theory is that the surge in pot-smoking has rendered most criminals too relaxed to commit violent crimes. They're probably more focused on shoplifting boxes of Ho-Hos from convenience stores.

And then there's the most reckless move of all: Just last month, Canada decided to allow and recognize same-sex marriages. Merciful moose, what can they be thinking? Will there be married Mounties (they always get their man!)? Dudley Do-Right was sweet on Nell, not Mel! We must be the only ones who really care about families. Not enough to make sure they all have health insurance, of course, but more than those libertines up north.

This sort of behavior is a clear and present danger to all our stereotypes about Canada. It's supposed to be a cold, wholesome country of polite, beer-drinking hockey players, not founded by freedom-fighters in a bloody revolution but quietly assembled by loyalists and royalists more interested in order and good government than liberty and independence.

But if we are the rugged individualists, why do we spend so much of our time trying to get everyone to march in lockstep? And if Canadians are so reserved and moderate, why are they so progressive about letting people do what they want to?

Canadians are, as a nation, less religious than we are, according to polls. As a result, Canada's government isn't influenced by large, well-organized religious groups and thus has more in common with those of Scandinavia than those of the United States, or, say, Iran.

Canada signed the Kyoto global warming treaty, lets 19-year-olds drink, has more of its population living in urban areas and accepts more immigrants per capita than the United States.

These are all things we've been told will wreck our society. But I guess Canadians are different, because theirs seems oddly sound.

Like teenagers, we fiercely idolize individual freedom but really demand that everyone be the same. But the Canadians seem more adult -- more secure. They aren't afraid of foreigners. They aren't afraid of homosexuality. Most of all, they're not afraid of each other.

I wonder if America will ever be that cool?

------------------------

Ok, now I'm really off to bed

...until 10pm EST
w

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
Re: It's not just the weather that's cooler in Canada
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2006, 12:09:13 AM »
why is this on the main gossip board and not the general topics board?

Jag, I wish you'd stop throwing mice into bonfires...

DIVISION

• Getbig V
  • Bless me please, father.....
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 12:09:27 AM »
Get to bed, Judi   ::)

DIV
I'm a ghost in these killing fields...

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2006, 03:02:53 AM »
Well Folks, it's finally Election Day up here in Canada, and I thought I'd take this final opportunity to share this 2.5 year old article from the Pittsburgh Post Gazette, and reminisce about this beautiful country of mine, ...country that I love and am so extremely proud of, ...at least I will be until later this evening when the poll results come in. Barring a miracle, or an act of God, ...this place is gonna change  :'(

Pittsburgh-Post Gazette,
Wednesday, July 30, 2003

You live next door to a clean-cut, quiet guy. He never plays loud music or throws raucous parties. He doesn't gossip over the fence, just smiles politely and offers you some tomatoes. His lawn is cared-for, his house is neat as a pin and you get the feeling he doesn't always lock his front door. He wears Dockers. You hardly know he's there.

And then one day you discover that he has pot in his basement, spends his weekends at peace marches and that guy you've seen mowing the yard is his spouse.

Allow me to introduce Canada.

The Canadians are so quiet that you may have forgotten they're up there, but they've been busy doing some surprising things. It's like discovering that the mice you are dimly aware of in your attic have been building an espresso machine.

Did you realize, for example, that our reliable little tag-along brother never joined the Coalition of the Willing? Canada wasn't willing, as it turns out, to join the fun in Iraq. I can only assume American diner menus weren't angrily changed to include "freedom bacon," because nobody here eats the stuff anyway.

And then there's the wild drug situation: Canadian doctors are authorized to dispense medical marijuana. Parliament is considering legislation that would not exactly legalize marijuana possession, as you may have heard, but would reduce the penalty for possession of under 15 grams to a fine, like a speeding ticket. This is to allow law enforcement to concentrate resources on traffickers; if your garden is full of wasps, it's smarter to go for the nest rather than trying to swat every individual bug. Or, in the United States, bong.

Now, here's the part that I, as an American, can't understand. These poor benighted pinkos are doing everything wrong. They have a drug problem: Marijuana offenses have doubled since 1991. And Canada has strict gun control laws, which means that the criminals must all be heavily armed, the law-abiding civilians helpless and the government on the verge of a massive confiscation campaign. (The laws have been in place since the '70s, but I'm sure the government will get around to the confiscation eventually.) They don't even have a death penalty!

And yet ... nationally, overall crime in Canada has been declining since 1991. Violent crimes fell 13 percent in 2002. Of course, there are still crimes committed with guns -- brought in from the United States, which has become the major illegal weapons supplier for all of North America -- but my theory is that the surge in pot-smoking has rendered most criminals too relaxed to commit violent crimes. They're probably more focused on shoplifting boxes of Ho-Hos from convenience stores.

And then there's the most reckless move of all: Just last month, Canada decided to allow and recognize same-sex marriages. Merciful moose, what can they be thinking? Will there be married Mounties (they always get their man!)? Dudley Do-Right was sweet on Nell, not Mel! We must be the only ones who really care about families. Not enough to make sure they all have health insurance, of course, but more than those libertines up north.

This sort of behavior is a clear and present danger to all our stereotypes about Canada. It's supposed to be a cold, wholesome country of polite, beer-drinking hockey players, not founded by freedom-fighters in a bloody revolution but quietly assembled by loyalists and royalists more interested in order and good government than liberty and independence.

But if we are the rugged individualists, why do we spend so much of our time trying to get everyone to march in lockstep? And if Canadians are so reserved and moderate, why are they so progressive about letting people do what they want to?

Canadians are, as a nation, less religious than we are, according to polls. As a result, Canada's government isn't influenced by large, well-organized religious groups and thus has more in common with those of Scandinavia than those of the United States, or, say, Iran.

Canada signed the Kyoto global warming treaty, lets 19-year-olds drink, has more of its population living in urban areas and accepts more immigrants per capita than the United States.

These are all things we've been told will wreck our society. But I guess Canadians are different, because theirs seems oddly sound.

Like teenagers, we fiercely idolize individual freedom but really demand that everyone be the same. But the Canadians seem more adult -- more secure. They aren't afraid of foreigners. They aren't afraid of homosexuality. Most of all, they're not afraid of each other.

I wonder if America will ever be that cool?

------------------------

Ok, now I'm really off to bed

...until 10pm EST
i would be living in quebec if i were canadian

Bronx

• Getbig III
  • MuscleMag Group Photo Editor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2006, 05:18:04 AM »
Then you wouldn't be Canadian.

bigdumbbell

• Getbig V
  • Bon Voyage !
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2006, 05:20:57 AM »
Then you wouldn't be Canadian.
lol   ;)

bmacsys

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2006, 05:24:55 AM »
Too bad your country is being over run by undesirables. People of European descent will soon be a minority. Your government is a joke. You have no history as a nation. Your flag dates from 1968 and means nothing. Your country has no foreign policy. Someday soon Canada will dissolve and just be assimilated in the USA.
The House that Ruth built

student

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2006, 08:39:20 AM »
Our government is a joke?  Bush is the butt of half the jokes on the Daily Show, used to snort coke and dodged the draft by having his daddy pull strings to get him a cushy spot in the national guard, and even that he couldn't handle......  We have no foreign policy?  you douche, how is invading a soverign country foreign policy?  I am a Canadian that respects America, I  honestly do, but it seems that half of Americans don't seem to want to take an honest look in the mirror......  They vote a man in for a second term because they can't stand the thought of same sex marriage.  "Nation Building" is nothing more then a apple pie expression for puppet state.  Stephen Harper is a douche.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2006, 08:57:42 AM »
Too bad your country is being over run by undesirables. People of European descent will soon be a minority.

well at least you don't mask your racism  :-\

dorkeroo

• Getbig IV
  • I need steroids for the brain.
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2006, 08:59:02 AM »
In Ontario, we have the right to bear breasts. I take that any day over the right to bear arms  :D

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2006, 09:01:11 AM »
Canada's a better country right now, in that the values are more balanced. Nothing to to with the people themselves, but overall Canadian values have stayed about the same (more moderate) over the years, but look better as the US slides downhill in various areas. We used to be able to see full nudity here in NYC, now the conservatives have changed that.

As far as quality of life, Canada's near the top. The only proviso is of course brutal winters in many areas, depends whether you appreciate and can deal with that.

The Conservatives winning will be good just for a change of pace, to freshen up the liberal party during a relatively short minority government. Minority governments in Canada tend to be productive because of the compromises and middle ground that is required of the ruling party in policy creation.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2006, 09:09:24 AM »
The Conservatives winning will be good just for a change of pace-minority governments in Canada tend to be productive because of the compromises and middle ground that is required to create policy.

I don't agree with change for the sake of change.

In theory, you're right about minority governments in Canada.  But this time, which other party is going to prop up a Conservative minority?  The Liberals, NDP and BQ all strongly oppose the Conservatives on most major issues.  Other than a few initiatives to "clean up government,"  there will be little common ground between the governing Tories and the opposition parties . . . unless the Conservatives completely sell out to the Bloc Quebecois.   

pumphard

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2006, 09:26:33 AM »
Too bad your country is being over run by undesirables. People of European descent will soon be a minority. Your government is a joke. You have no history as a nation. Your flag dates from 1968 and means nothing. Your country has no foreign policy. Someday soon Canada will dissolve and just be assimilated in the USA.

Yes, but at least we are not hated by the rest of the world.

pumphard

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2006, 09:30:31 AM »
Even though I am Canadian, I am still pro American.  I love your country, some of your policies, and your hardline stance against crime.  the only thing that bothers me is the arrogance, and the cockiness of some of the americans that I have met. 

pumphard

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2006, 09:34:43 AM »
Get a real healthcare system in Canada and im there!

Like the one U.S have?

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2006, 09:35:56 AM »
Get a real healthcare system in Canada and im there!

sure, okay, but you'll be able to leave your credit card at home

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2006, 09:40:31 AM »
Fine with me... as long as I dont have to wait for 2 years to get an emergency takin care of, im not standing in a line a mile long to see a Dr

wait, that's how it is in Can, or in the USA?

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2006, 09:40:51 AM »
Healthcare in Canada is better than what the Americans are stuck with, which is why they've been talking for years about re-vamping the American model, even about copying the Canadian model. Probably don't like the idea of appearing to copy it though.

I don't agree with change for the sake of change.

In theory, you're right about minority governments in Canada.  But this time, which other party is going to prop up a Conservative minority?
Actually, change for it's own sake is worthwhile when the party's stale-it will probably even regenerate the Liberals by being out for a while. As far as which parties will vote with the Convervatives, it'll depend on the issue. Finding compromise is why minority governments are often more productive than what is seen with majority rule.

pumphard

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2006, 09:41:38 AM »
Fine with me... as long as I dont have to wait for 2 years to get an emergency takin care of, im not standing in a line a mile long to see a Dr

I think you have your facts mixed up.  We wait in emergency room at hospitals for non life threatening injuries, but we don't wait long at doctors office.

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2006, 09:42:32 AM »

They're workin on cuttin down on waiting times, but if you can get someone to hold your spot in line maybe you could kill a couple of hours in a strip bar.  Ever been to a strip club in Canada?

pumphard

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #20 on: January 23, 2006, 09:44:27 AM »
What I hate about Canada is our laxed criminal and immigration laws, and our high taxes.  Other then that, its a nice place to live and raise a family.

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2006, 09:45:00 AM »
no body goes to Canada for healthcare lol they all come to the United States
You're just ignorant. Did you know that alot of American doctors go to school in Canada?

You are the typical ignorant American that people around the world detest.

What I hate about Canada is our laxed criminal and immigration laws, and our high taxes.

It's true, but there is no perfect world. Higher taxes in Canada = better quality of life-better/cleaner streets, etc.

I agree with you about immigration, hopefully they'll change that soon but the reason it happens in the first place is that Canada's a more welcoming society in general, which isn't a bad thing even though it's gone too far.

pumphard

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2006, 09:47:25 AM »
Thats bull crap... no body goes to Canada for healthcare lol they all come to the United States
Yes, that is true, people go to the U.S, so they can avoid waiting months for MRI's.  

tom joad

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2006, 09:47:57 AM »
You dont have Drs in your emergency rooms? ???

Doctors in emergency rooms?  Yes, of course.  But not "family doctors."

pumphard

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2006, 09:49:03 AM »
Yes, but I'm talking about when you go to Dr.'s office.  There isn't much of a wait there.