Author Topic: and you thought getting to work was a pain in the ass? Holy FUCK  (Read 8843 times)

#1 Klaus fan

• Getbig V
Re: and you thought getting to work was a pain in the ass? Holy FUCK
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2010, 02:12:07 PM »
When you think about it, people often climb up to 50 feet and over with no safety gear. That height already would be lethal if the climber fell down. Of course there are more risks here, like the wind, the tower swaying, and the small handles to grip but otherwise the height isn't anymore deadly than alot smaller one.

lovemonkey

• Getbig V
  • Two kinds of people; Those that can extrapolate
« Reply #51 on: September 15, 2010, 02:16:44 PM »
When you think about it, people often climb up to 50 feet and over with no safety gear. That height already would be lethal if the climber fell down. Of course there are more risks here, like the wind, the tower swaying, and the small handles to grip but otherwise the height isn't anymore deadly than alot smaller one.

Yes that's true, but you also take into account the fatigue that sets in after a while. Try climbing anything for more than a couple of minutes, you'll be spent. Also a huge risk factor there is all the transitioning they do between ladders etc.
from incomplete data

myt1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2010, 02:41:56 PM »

U do have a point.....dead IS dead.

What's crazy is how there doesn't seem to be like a planned way by the designers for parts of the climb.  The part where he was transitioning to the smaller handles there was a section to get around with angled bars that the climber grabbed a couple different ways b4 deciding to move on.  You'd think that the design would incorporate better grips and more places to hook safely

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I read at least a dozen primary sources a day
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2010, 02:44:38 PM »
Jesus I shit my pants just watching that.

myt1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #54 on: September 15, 2010, 02:46:06 PM »
Hehe. No, I meant being voided on.

Oh! :o  Well, in that case, I did not hear a mention of that in the video :P

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #55 on: September 15, 2010, 03:35:38 PM »
At a couple points it felt like i was actually up there and about to have a damn panick attack.  I can't believe they free climb that much of that.  I hope those guys make a shit ton of money, cuz I don't there's much of a line wanting to take their job

same...

they wouldnt have a job here where im from. "freeclimbing"?....translation : "moron climbing"

any employer happy with the excuse "its faster and less tiring" deserves to be shut down.

disco_stu

• Getbig V
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #56 on: September 15, 2010, 03:36:23 PM »
what if you got to the top and had to drop a deuce?

itd be a long drop i'd say. its not the guy below you, its the guy on the ground that would be pissed.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #57 on: September 16, 2010, 08:53:45 AM »
why its not available anymore?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #58 on: September 16, 2010, 08:55:01 AM »
Instead of a tool box, they would be lugging a cooler full of 8lbs of chicken and rice.

LOL..... ;D

Bflex

• Getbig II

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2010, 09:21:02 AM »
Chick could do that Job, after all he can do 3mph on the treadmill on low carbs.

noworries

• Getbig V
  • Train Heavy or Go Home
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2010, 09:25:03 AM »
In the early 80's I worked at Chevron refinery in El Segundo, CA.  I was a carpenter.  Which was weird cause we really didn't work with much wood.  We built the scaffolding for welders and everyone else when they needed to work on something esepcially after an explolsion or shutdown.  We were the first people in there cause no body could work without the scaffolding.  It was the same as used on the Staue of Liberty.  Really good and strong.  Our primary tool was a rachet wrench to tighten the clips for the pipes.  Well we used to free climb up to 250' is about the highest.  And that is scary as hell.  We used hang over the edge and pull up 50+ lbs of clips and poles and planks.  Sometime the cranes would lift it up to the top.  I emailed a friend cause he has a photo of me and him hanging in mid air by just a waist clip for 220' up and flying around like Superman.  I am hoping he has a copy.  That was really dumb.  This guy in the video is just nuts as hell.  He is making unreal money though.  I know the higher you go as a window cleaner the more money you make.  This guy makes alot of money.
No Worries 4 me

Army of One

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2010, 09:34:56 AM »
In the early 80's I worked at Chevron refinery in El Segundo, CA.  I was a carpenter.  Which was weird cause we really didn't work with much wood.  We built the scaffolding for welders and everyone else when they needed to work on something esepcially after an explolsion or shutdown.  We were the first people in there cause no body could work without the scaffolding.  It was the same as used on the Staue of Liberty.  Really good and strong.  Our primary tool was a rachet wrench to tighten the clips for the pipes.  Well we used to free climb up to 250' is about the highest.  And that is scary as hell.  We used hang over the edge and pull up 50+ lbs of clips and poles and planks.  Sometime the cranes would lift it up to the top.  I emailed a friend cause he has a photo of me and him hanging in mid air by just a waist clip for 220' up and flying around like Superman.  I am hoping he has a copy.  That was really dumb.  This guy in the video is just nuts as hell.  He is making unreal money though.  I know the higher you go as a window cleaner the more money you make.  This guy makes alot of money.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzzzz.........