Author Topic: Costco Salmon Burgers  (Read 11116 times)

hrspwr1

• Getbig III
  • flirtin with disaster everyday
Re: Costco Salmon Burgers
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2013, 12:09:38 AM »
I love john west red salmon, on wholewheat bread with a generous spread of flora, cant beat it, sadly these days the red salmon
is so expensive.

best commercial...

arce1988

• Getbig V
  • ARCE USA USMC
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2013, 12:53:05 AM »
  I like Chicken and Beef.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2013, 05:56:38 AM »
same here but I usually add an egg into the mix to help it all stay together, I season mine with old bay and serve with brown rice.

Yes, I also add an egg or two... Correct sir..

Lord Chronos

• Getbig III
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2013, 11:34:30 AM »
Anyone buy these?  So fucking shit!!!

20g protein per patty, omega 3's, they are shit!!!

8)

I agree!!!

I bought these once, one of the most disgusting things I ever ate. Ate one threw the rest in the bin.

Have you ever eaten real salmon??

Those things a discs of hormonized farmed shit with zero nutritional benefit.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2013, 12:29:23 PM »
Anyone buy these?  So fucking good!!!

20g protein per patty, omega 3's, all that shit!!!

8)
how much is the sodium?

cart@@n

• Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: January 01, 2013, 12:45:57 PM »

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2013, 12:53:21 PM »
I agree!!!

I bought these once, one of the most disgusting things I ever ate. Ate one threw the rest in the bin.

Living in Salmon country as I do, Portland, OR, friends are always giving me fresh caught salmon from the Willamette and Columbia rivers. So yes I have eaten real salmon. Most of the better markets here carry Alaskan Salmon and when in season, Chinook Salmon. You can always buy the farmed salmon of course for a lot less money.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2013, 01:03:49 PM »
I agree!!!

I eat good salmon sahimi a few times a week.  I know good salmon friend.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #33 on: January 01, 2013, 01:11:03 PM »
I eat good salmon sahimi a few times a week.  I know good salmon friend.

when i filet a fish i always wrap several pieces to freeze for sashimi snacks... my favorite salmon to eat raw is sockeye by a wide margin

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2013, 01:19:38 PM »
when i filet a fish i always wrap several pieces to freeze for sashimi snacks... my favorite salmon to eat raw is sockeye by a wide margin

Yes!  Do you buy "sushi grade"? Or am I getting ripped off?

Is any good quality fish safe if frozen.

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2013, 01:38:25 PM »
Yes!  Do you buy "sushi grade"? Or am I getting ripped off?

Is any good quality fish safe if frozen.

some salmon are better than others for sashimi (and raw eating in general)

sushi grade is a marketing ploy designed to rip you off...

sockeye feeds primarily on plankton and krill near the Arctic Sea and as a result have more lean and tasty flavour suitable for sashimi.

salinity of Straight of Georgia is lower than average sea water due to high level of glacial melt water running in from Cascade Mountains.
as a result, fish are more susceptible to parasitic infestation and it is better to freeze them for a week or so before eating raw.
i heard that fish caught in the Pacific are generally cleaner due to both higher salinity and less pollution (like fish farms and pulp mills).

with salmon caught in a river, extra care must be taken before attempting to eat them raw, as salmon's immunity starts to drop once they enter freshwater.
i personally would not eat raw any salmon caught in a river as there are no guarantees that all parasites will be killed via residential freezer.
personally, I try to be on the safe side.

as for freezing:

first, check the temperature on your freezer. it should be as close to -20C as possible. -10C isn't cold enough to kill the roundworm larvae that are in almost all salmon. i freeze for 5-7 days as a minimum. you also want the fillets to freeze as fast as possible so that the ice crystals that form in the flesh are as small as possible. a slow freeze forms big ice crystals which breaks cells in the flesh and make it mushy. i put a heavy aluminum pan in the freezer to prechill and then lay 1/2" thick fillets, no bigger than 6"x6" directly on it. Once frozen I wrap tightly in plastic wrap and eat it within a couple weeks.

not enough freezing is just as bad as too much freezing... between 7-14 days almost always ends up being the ideal.

and if you are worried about possible infection i would stick with farmed salmon... any farmed salmon can be suitable for sashimi but you will notice that the flesh is naturally more tender than wild caught (farmed fish grow very fast at a young age and never have to swim very hard.

Ikura, Chum, Spring, Coho, Sockeye or Steelhead (or any other type of salmon that i can't think about at the moment) all make for tasty sashimi...

Fuzzy Nuts

« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2013, 03:53:30 PM »
I agree!!!

It's not farm raised.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: January 01, 2013, 03:56:35 PM »
some salmon are better than others for sashimi (and raw eating in general)

sushi grade is a marketing ploy designed to rip you off...

sockeye feeds primarily on plankton and krill near the Arctic Sea and as a result have more lean and tasty flavour suitable for sashimi.

salinity of Straight of Georgia is lower than average sea water due to high level of glacial melt water running in from Cascade Mountains.
as a result, fish are more susceptible to parasitic infestation and it is better to freeze them for a week or so before eating raw.
i heard that fish caught in the Pacific are generally cleaner due to both higher salinity and less pollution (like fish farms and pulp mills).

with salmon caught in a river, extra care must be taken before attempting to eat them raw, as salmon's immunity starts to drop once they enter freshwater.
i personally would not eat raw any salmon caught in a river as there are no guarantees that all parasites will be killed via residential freezer.
personally, I try to be on the safe side.

as for freezing:

first, check the temperature on your freezer. it should be as close to -20C as possible. -10C isn't cold enough to kill the roundworm larvae that are in almost all salmon. i freeze for 5-7 days as a minimum. you also want the fillets to freeze as fast as possible so that the ice crystals that form in the flesh are as small as possible. a slow freeze forms big ice crystals which breaks cells in the flesh and make it mushy. i put a heavy aluminum pan in the freezer to prechill and then lay 1/2" thick fillets, no bigger than 6"x6" directly on it. Once frozen I wrap tightly in plastic wrap and eat it within a couple weeks.

not enough freezing is just as bad as too much freezing... between 7-14 days almost always ends up being the ideal.

and if you are worried about possible infection i would stick with farmed salmon... any farmed salmon can be suitable for sashimi but you will notice that the flesh is naturally more tender than wild caught (farmed fish grow very fast at a young age and never have to swim very hard.

Ikura, Chum, Spring, Coho, Sockeye or Steelhead (or any other type of salmon that i can't think about at the moment) all make for tasty sashimi...

Thank you sir, this is very helpful.  I might try it your way and fillet them myself. 

WOOO

• Getbig V
  • Fuck the mods
« Reply #38 on: January 01, 2013, 03:58:16 PM »
Thank you sir, this is very helpful.  I might try it your way and fillet them myself. 

it's really easy... watch videos on how to do it on youtube, make sure that you have a sharp knife (type of knife is irrelevant) and then have a go

it's by far the cheapest way to eat salmon regularly

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: January 01, 2013, 06:44:46 PM »
it's really easy... watch videos on how to do it on youtube, make sure that you have a sharp knife (type of knife is irrelevant) and then have a go

it's by far the cheapest way to eat salmon regularly

Thanks, I've seen them sold whole.  I never really considered this idea before.

My meal from five minutes ago.  :D