Author Topic: Sarah Palin owns WSJ Reporter.  (Read 6653 times)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
Re: Sarah Palin owns WSJ Reporter.
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2010, 09:26:11 AM »
Obama granted the fed even more powers, and the beast is even larger than before.

Guess who Obama placed in charge of the "Consumer Protection Agency"

225for70

• Getbig IV
  • Suckmymuscle is OneMoreRep's little bitch
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2010, 09:32:12 AM »
Guess who Obama placed in charge of the "Consumer Protection Agency"

A big time wall-steet lobbyist would be an educated guess.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2010, 09:33:37 AM »
A big time wall-steet lobbyist would be an educated guess.

They are within the Federal Reserve umbrella.  He tossed a bone to TEAM KNEEPAD with that warren lady - but she is ceremonial at best. 

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2010, 09:35:02 AM »
Do Wall Street Journal Reporters Read the Wall Street Journal?
by Sarah Palin on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 7:58pm

________________________ ________________________ _____________

Ever since 2008, people seem inordinately interested in my reading habits. Among various newspapers, magazines, and local Alaskan papers, I read the Wall Street Journal.

So, imagine my dismay when I read an article by Sudeep Reddy in today’s Wall Street Journal criticizing the fact that I mentioned inflation in my comments about QE2 in a speech this morning before a trade-association. Here’s what I said: “everyone who ever goes out shopping for groceries knows that prices have risen significantly over the past year or so. Pump priming would push them even higher.”

Mr. Reddy takes aim at this. He writes: “Grocery prices haven’t risen all that significantly, in fact.” Really? That’s odd, because just last Thursday, November 4, I read an article in Mr. Reddy’s own Wall Street Journal titled “Food Sellers Grit Teeth, Raise Prices: Packagers and Supermarkets Pressured to Pass Along Rising Costs, Even as Consumers Pinch Pennies.”

The article noted that “an inflationary tide is beginning to ripple through America's supermarkets and restaurants…Prices of staples including milk, beef, coffee, cocoa and sugar have risen sharply in recent months.”

Now I realize I’m just a former governor and current housewife from Alaska, but even humble folks like me can read the newspaper. I’m surprised a prestigious reporter for the Wall Street Journal doesn’t.

- Sarah Palin

________________________ ________________

Ha ha ha ha - another idiot bites the dust. 

Ouch. That's embarrassing. It does show how incompetent most journalists are these days, though.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2010, 03:27:24 PM »
Do Wall Street Journal Reporters Read the Wall Street Journal?
by Sarah Palin on Monday, November 8, 2010 at 7:58pm

________________________ ________________________ _____________

Ever since 2008, people seem inordinately interested in my reading habits. Among various newspapers, magazines, and local Alaskan papers, I read the Wall Street Journal.

So, imagine my dismay when I read an article by Sudeep Reddy in today’s Wall Street Journal criticizing the fact that I mentioned inflation in my comments about QE2 in a speech this morning before a trade-association. Here’s what I said: “everyone who ever goes out shopping for groceries knows that prices have risen significantly over the past year or so. Pump priming would push them even higher.”

Mr. Reddy takes aim at this. He writes: “Grocery prices haven’t risen all that significantly, in fact.” Really? That’s odd, because just last Thursday, November 4, I read an article in Mr. Reddy’s own Wall Street Journal titled “Food Sellers Grit Teeth, Raise Prices: Packagers and Supermarkets Pressured to Pass Along Rising Costs, Even as Consumers Pinch Pennies.”

The article noted that “an inflationary tide is beginning to ripple through America's supermarkets and restaurants…Prices of staples including milk, beef, coffee, cocoa and sugar have risen sharply in recent months.”

Now I realize I’m just a former governor and current housewife from Alaska, but even humble folks like me can read the newspaper. I’m surprised a prestigious reporter for the Wall Street Journal doesn’t.

- Sarah Palin

________________________ ________________

Ha ha ha ha - another idiot bites the dust. 

ANd here comes the Owning..
Palin Lashes Out At WSJ Reporter, Misquotes Story
The Huffington Post   |  William Alden First Posted: 11- 9-10 09:06 AM   |   Updated: 11- 9-10 02:50 PM

What's Your Reaction?diggfacebook Twitter
stumble
reddit
del.ico.us Inspiring
Greedy
Typical
Scary
Outrageous
Amazing
Innovative
Infuriating
Read More: Ben Bernanke, Federal Reserve, Monetary Policy, qe2, Quantitative Easing, Sarah Palin, Sudeep Reddy, Wall Street Journal, Business News 9982,334
views4 Get Business Alerts   
Email Comments 8,359 This post has been updated.

In what can only be called a valiant effort, Sarah Palin has defended her monetary policy remarks from the Wall Street Journal's pointed criticism.

On her Facebook page, Palin claims the WSJ reporter who has pointed out a factual error in her speech is himself in the wrong. "Do Wall Street Journal Reporters Read the Wall Street Journal?," her Facebook note asks.

In remarks delivered at a Phoenix convention, and first leaked by the The National Review, Palin criticized the Federal Reserve's quantitative easing policy, in which the bank will purchase up to $600 billion of new U.S. government debt (as part of a plan that could reach $900 billion), and urged Fed chairman Ben Bernanke to "cease and desist."

As HuffPost's Shahien Nasiripour noted Monday, the Federal Reserve operates independently of any other government body, and so political criticism of it is unusual.

Even more unusual were the specifics of Palin's critique: As WSJ's Sudeep Reddy pointed out Monday, she doesn't get all of her facts right. In response to Palin's assertion that "everyone who ever goes out shopping for groceries knows that prices have risen significantly over the past year or so," Reddy wrote Monday that "Grocery prices haven't risen all that significantly, in fact." He notes that prices have actually increased only 0.6 percent over the past year. It's the lowest rate on record -- so low that it inspired a high-profile Twitter fight late last month.

But Palin would have none of it. She wrote in her Facebook note, "That's odd, because just last Thursday, November 4, I read an article in Mr. Reddy's own Wall Street Journal titled 'Food Sellers Grit Teeth, Raise Prices: Packagers and Supermarkets Pressured to Pass Along Rising Costs, Even as Consumers Pinch Pennies.' She continued:

Now I realize I'm just a former governor and current housewife from Alaska, but even humble folks like me can read the newspaper. I'm surprised a prestigious reporter for the Wall Street Journal doesn't.
Story continues below
AdvertisementReddy has responded to Palin on Twitter, pointing out that she has actually misread the WSJ article she refers to. As Reddy notes, the article's first sentence discusses "the tamest year of food pricing in nearly two decades."

The source of confusion comes in the next paragraph. The article says the cost of goods has risen, a burden that food sellers must decide whether to pass on to customers via prices. The rise in prices hasn't actually happened yet. Palin omits this key fact.

Reddy has also re-tweeted a tweet from Columbia Journalism Review's Ryan Chittum, who defends Reddy and blasts Palin for misquoting the WSJ story about prices. Here's Chittum:

Palin has a journalism degree, so I'm guessing she knows what an ethical no-no it is to misquote somebody like that. It ought to be awfully hard for her to get on her pedestal and condemn the media when she can't even quote somebody honestly. How about to make it up to Reddy, Palin lets a real reporter like him fly out to Wasilla to interview her for once instead of going to her house folks at Fox News?
UPDATE:
Sudeep Reddy has responded in the WSJ to Palin's Facebook note. He cites Labor Department data to reiterate that Palin's argument about food prices is not grounded in fact, and he continues:

Weak demand, high unemployment and thrifty shoppers have led retailers to keep many prices from rising despite the rising cost of some commodities, including coffee and sugar. ... Critics of the Fed's quantitative easing policy are focused primarily on concerns about potential future inflation.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2010, 03:28:26 PM »
Can i get a BUMP!!! thank ya JEEEBUSSSS

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2010, 03:33:30 PM »
(.65)Governor Palin thinkgs gravatas makes apples fall from trees.

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2010, 03:46:14 PM »
the ownage never stops :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2010, 03:48:16 PM »
i bet 3333 hates that we kill damn near every thread he starts..

Sorry 3333..im on break till next year...gots a lot of time...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2010, 06:48:59 PM »
The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com
The Reformed Broker
Food price inflation isn't theoretical anymore
Agflation has shown up in supermarket prices.

Boston resident Daniel Kemp watches his grocery bill as DeLuca's Market employee, Fabian Acosta, rings up his purchases, in this 2009 file photo from Boston, Mass. "Everybody's noticed you're spending ten dollars or more on groceries," Kemp said. Staples have risen: chuck roast is up 13 percent to $4 per pound, whole milk is up 10 percent to $3.28 a gallon, and eggs are up 7 percent to $1.75 a dozen, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

(Ann Hermes / The Christian Science Monitor / File)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Joshua M. Brown

posted November 8, 2010 at 4:05 pm EST

Hate to say I told you so, but this one could be spotted a mile away. And some of us did. The law of unintended consequences is in full effect as the food price inflation (aka Agflation) I feared is finally here. We're not talking out-of-control price hikes at this point - but the trend is the trend and our monetary policy is definitely exacerbating it.

From the Wall Street Journal:

Prices of staples including milk, beef, coffee, cocoa and sugar have risen sharply in recent months. And food makers and retailers including McDonald's Corp., Kellogg Co. and Kroger Co. have begun to signal that they'll try to make consumers shoulder more of the higher costs for ingredients.

Our officials are really into CPI as their inflation measure, which is a shame because it doesn't actually take into account, well, inflation. "Inflation ex-food and energy" is the most oxymoronic phrase in the economic glossary. Here's the troof:

Food prices are rising faster than overall inflation. The consumer price index for all items minus food and energy rose 0.8% over the year to September, the lowest 12-month increase since March 1961, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said. The food index rose 1.4%, however. The U.S. Agricultural Department is predicting overall food inflation of about 2% to 3% next year.

My raise rates to 1% call is looking better and better. Meanwhile, the Fed pumps more cash to the developing world - our new competitors for protein and grains.

Sources:

Food Sellers Grit Teeth, Raise Prices (WSJ)

Read Also:

Raise Rates, Cowards (TRB)

Farmer Brown Wuz Right, Food Prices Exploding (TRB)

Signs of Agflation Hit Egypt (TRB)

Add/view comments on this post.

Danny

• Getbig V
  • The original Superman
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2010, 07:17:54 PM »
the SELF ownage never stops :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I love it how 338 and the rest of the palinbots jump on anything she says and take her word as the absolute true.  ;D ;D ;D
"What we do in life ECHOES in eternity "

Arnold jr

• Getbig V
  • fleshandiron.com
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2010, 07:51:45 PM »
I love it how 338 and the rest of the palinbots jump on anything she says and take her word as the absolute true.  ;D ;D ;D

I love how the rest of you take everything she says as false just because she said it.

It's like having a bunch of people in a building, someone runs in and says "get out of here, the building is on fire!" But all the people look at this person and say, "get out of here you crazy conservative" even though the entire building is full of smoke and the temperature is a few hundred degrees above normal.

Danny

• Getbig V
  • The original Superman
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2010, 08:32:35 PM »
I love how the rest of you take everything she says as false just because she said it.   ::) ::)

http://www.cjr.org/the_audit/sarah_palin_as_media_critica_b.php

Aw, shucks.

Sarah Palin is “just a former governor and current housewife from Alaska, but even humble folks like (her) can read the newspaper.”

Reading’s one thing. Comprehending’s another.

Palin makes the unfortunate mistake of slapping back at Wall Street Journal reporter Sudeep Reddy for calling her out for what he called “hyperbole” in a speech Palin made to the Specialty Tools and Fasteners Distributors Association convention in Phoenix.

She gets it wrong again. It was indeed hyperbole.

I noticed her remarks separately and also called out Palin in Audit Notes this evening for the inflation error. I was amused by the whole Sarah Palin Takes on QE2 thing just on its face, but also noted that she got a couple of facts wrong in her post (including another one about energy independence). She said this, which Reddy also picked up on:

All this pump priming will come at a serious price. And I mean that literally: everyone who ever goes out shopping for groceries knows that prices have risen significantly over the past year or so. Pump priming would push them even higher.

That’s just not the case. As I pointed out yesterday, food prices have risen just 1.4 percent in the last year, which is about as insignificant as it gets. Reddy put it even better:

Grocery prices haven’t risen all that significantly, in fact. The consumer price index’s measure of food and beverages for the first nine months of this year showed average annual inflation of less than 0.6%, the slowest pace on record (since the Labor Department started keeping this measure in 1968). Even if you pick a single snapshot — say, September’s year-over-year increase in prices — that was just 1.4%, far better than the 6% annual increase for food prices recorded in September 2008.

Palin (or whoever’s writing her stuff) tries to pull an “aha!” moment on the ol’ “lamestream media,” but just makes herself look worse.

The article noted that “an inflationary tide is beginning to ripple through America’s supermarkets and restaurants…Prices of staples including milk, beef, coffee, cocoa and sugar have risen sharply in recent months.”

What that WSJ article said—which you can in fact discern even from her selective quoting—is that food prices may be beginning to rise. And when I say selective quoting, I mean selective quoting. Note where the ellipsis in her WSJ quote there. That’s from the lede of the story, which says, in full:

An inflationary tide is beginning to ripple through America’s supermarkets and restaurants,threatening to end the tamest year of food pricing in nearly two decades.

So, Palin is hammering the Journal and Reddy for pointing out that she’s flat wrong about grocery prices going up significantly in the past year. What does she do? She quotes a separate Journal story that confirms what Reddy is saying—and cuts out that part with three dots. Nice!

Palin has a journalism degree, so I’m guessing she knows what an ethical no-no it is to misquote somebody like that
. It ought to be awfully hard for her to get on her pedestal and condemn the media when she can’t even quote somebody honestly. How about to make it up to Reddy, Palin lets a real reporter like him fly out to Wasilla to interview her for once instead of going to her house folks at Fox News?

Maybe they can talk about the possible wave of food inflation coming our way.
"What we do in life ECHOES in eternity "

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2010, 08:48:30 PM »
The Christian Science Monitor - CSMonitor.com
The Reformed Broker
Food price inflation isn't theoretical anymore
Agflation has shown up in supermarket prices.

Boston resident Daniel Kemp watches his grocery bill as DeLuca's Market employee, Fabian Acosta, rings up his purchases, in this 2009 file photo from Boston, Mass. "Everybody's noticed you're spending ten dollars or more on groceries," Kemp said. Staples have risen: chuck roast is up 13 percent to $4 per pound, whole milk is up 10 percent to $3.28 a gallon, and eggs are up 7 percent to $1.75 a dozen, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

(Ann Hermes / The Christian Science Monitor / File)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Joshua M. Brown

posted November 8, 2010 at 4:05 pm EST

Hate to say I told you so, but this one could be spotted a mile away. And some of us did. The law of unintended consequences is in full effect as the food price inflation (aka Agflation) I feared is finally here. We're not talking out-of-control price hikes at this point - but the trend is the trend and our monetary policy is definitely exacerbating it.

From the Wall Street Journal:

Prices of staples including milk, beef, coffee, cocoa and sugar have risen sharply in recent months. And food makers and retailers including McDonald's Corp., Kellogg Co. and Kroger Co. have begun to signal that they'll try to make consumers shoulder more of the higher costs for ingredients.

Our officials are really into CPI as their inflation measure, which is a shame because it doesn't actually take into account, well, inflation. "Inflation ex-food and energy" is the most oxymoronic phrase in the economic glossary. Here's the troof:

Food prices are rising faster than overall inflation. The consumer price index for all items minus food and energy rose 0.8% over the year to September, the lowest 12-month increase since March 1961, the Bureau of Labor Statistics said. The food index rose 1.4%, however. The U.S. Agricultural Department is predicting overall food inflation of about 2% to 3% next year.

My raise rates to 1% call is looking better and better. Meanwhile, the Fed pumps more cash to the developing world - our new competitors for protein and grains.

Sources:

Food Sellers Grit Teeth, Raise Prices (WSJ)

Read Also:

Raise Rates, Cowards (TRB)

Farmer Brown Wuz Right, Food Prices Exploding (TRB)

Signs of Agflation Hit Egypt (TRB)

Add/view comments on this post.

you know ima get you rite?....tomorrow bro...tomorrow

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2010, 09:34:34 PM »
Funny how many far-lefties are owning themselves in this thread. The guy who called Palin out about there not being inflation in food prices actually wrote an article a few weeks ago about there being just that. Now either he's lying through his teeth, which means he should be fired from the WSJ, or he's just completely incompetent, which means he should be fired from the WSJ.

24KT

• Getbig V
  • Gold Savings Account Rep +1 (310) 409-2244
« Reply #65 on: November 10, 2010, 12:06:47 AM »
Apparently you did not read the story - thats cool.

BTW - do you agree with all the money printing schemes Obama/Timmy/Big Ben are orchestrating?   

333 Do you really think Obama is in charge o f monetary policy, ...or do you think that's in Bernanke's hands?

I can't help but believe that regardless of who sits in the oval office, the Fed is gonna do what the Fed is going to do, and the President will have his marching orders.
w

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #66 on: November 10, 2010, 05:05:00 AM »
333 Do you really think Obama is in charge o f monetary policy, ...or do you think that's in Bernanke's hands?

I can't help but believe that regardless of who sits in the oval office, the Fed is gonna do what the Fed is going to do, and the President will have his marching orders.

No, but the congress and POTUS often put pressure on the Fed to assist in its meeting is priorities, whether by lowering interest rates, printing more money, etc etc. 

The Fed has to print tons more money now because the govt refuses to cut spending, refuses to curtail the overseas obligations, and in fact is going to have more obligations with entitlements, obamacare, etc etc. 

Additionally, as the economy is not producing enough jobs to generate the taxes to pay for the obligations of the govt, the Fed is being used to tax people to pay for these obligations though an "inflation tax", which i have a whole thread on that most people have ignored. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2010, 05:13:57 AM »
Funny how many far-lefties are owning themselves in this thread. The guy who called Palin out about there not being inflation in food prices actually wrote an article a few weeks ago about there being just that. Now either he's lying through his teeth, which means he should be fired from the WSJ, or he's just completely incompetent, which means he should be fired from the WSJ.

BF...Youre better than that bro.. i expect more from you

Even more unusual were the specifics of Palin's critique: As WSJ's Sudeep Reddy pointed out Monday, she doesn't get all of her facts right. In response to Palin's assertion that "everyone who ever goes out shopping for groceries knows that prices have risen significantly over the past year or so," Reddy wrote Monday that "Grocery prices haven't risen all that significantly, in fact." He notes that prices have actually increased only 0.6 percent over the past year. It's the lowest rate on record -- so low that it inspired a high-profile Twitter fight late last month.But Palin would have none of it. She wrote in her Facebook note, "That's odd, because just last Thursday, November 4, I read an article in Mr. Reddy's own Wall Street Journal titled 'Food Sellers Grit Teeth, Raise Prices: Packagers and Supermarkets Pressured to Pass Along Rising Costs, Even as Consumers Pinch Pennies.' She continued:

Now I realize I'm just a former governor and current housewife from Alaska, but even humble folks like me can read the newspaper. I'm surprised a prestigious reporter for the Wall Street Journal doesn't.

Reddy has responded to Palin on Twitter, pointing out that she has actually misread the WSJ article she refers to. As Reddy notes, the article's first sentence discusses "the tamest year of food pricing in nearly two decades."

The source of confusion comes in the next paragraph. The article says the cost of goods has risen, a burden that food sellers must decide whether to pass on to customers via prices. The rise in prices hasn't actually happened yet. Palin omits this key fact.

Reddy has also re-tweeted a tweet from Columbia Journalism Review's Ryan Chittum, who defends Reddy and blasts Palin for misquoting the WSJ story about prices. Here's Chittum:

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2010, 05:20:59 AM »

Even more unusual were the specifics of Palin's critique: As WSJ's Sudeep Reddy pointed out Monday, she doesn't get all of her facts right. In response to Palin's assertion that "everyone who ever goes out shopping for groceries knows that prices have risen significantly over the past year or so," Reddy wrote Monday that "Grocery prices haven't risen all that significantly, in fact." He notes that prices have actually increased only 0.6 percent over the past year. It's the lowest rate on record -- so low that it inspired a high-profile Twitter fight late last month.But Palin would have none of it. She wrote in her Facebook note, "That's odd, because just last Thursday, November 4, I read an article in Mr. Reddy's own Wall Street Journal titled 'Food Sellers Grit Teeth, Raise Prices: Packagers and Supermarkets Pressured to Pass Along Rising Costs, Even as Consumers Pinch Pennies.' She continued:

Reddy has responded to Palin on Twitter, pointing out that she has actually misread the WSJ article she refers to. As Reddy notes, the article's first sentence discusses "the tamest year of food pricing in nearly two decades."

Oh please - do you even shop?   Food prices have gone up a ton recently. 

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ __

USDA: Food Prices to Rise in 2010...Again USDA predicts a 2.5 to 3.5 percent increase in food bills this year despite falling crop prices.

For corn, wheat, and rice farmers, the strong prices they saw in 2007 and 2008 are but a distant memory by now. As a consumer, you probably haven't noticed.

That's because when you pour a bowl of Rice Krispies, Corn Pops, or Wheaties, the price tag stuck to the box is still higher than usual.

Newspapers were filled with stories in 2008 and 2009 about exploding grocery bills, and many of those pieces included quotes from food companies that painted farmers as the villain because of higher-than-usual crop prices.

But the story about prices remaining higher, even as crop prices have retreated, hasn't gotten much traction. In fact, according to a recent announcement by the USDA, "In 2010, the Consumer Price Index (CPI) for all food is projected to increase 2.5 to 3.5 percent" with that same increase of 2.5 to 3.5 percent forecast for food purchased at grocery stores. However, this news got little more than a passing mention in the media.

Farmer's Share

This food bill phenomenon of what goes up doesn't come down is known in economic circles as "sticky prices."

The Associated Press explained the term this way in October 2008: "[W]hen companies slap higher prices on products and keep them there even though the rationale for the price hikes—such as soaring oil prices—is gone."

A 2006 study on sugar policy prepared by McKeany-Flavell, a California-based commodity research firm, reported:

"Once prices for a retail product rise, they seldom come down without a compelling reason. As noted in The Economist, 'Prices change only when the cost of leaving them unchanged exceeds the expense of adjusting them.' In the case of sugar-containing products at the consumer-level, prices are more a result of how competitive the market is rather than how expensive (or inexpensive) the input prices are."

And according to Tom Buis, the CEO of Growth Energy in Washington, DC, these sticky prices are adding up to big-time profits for food companies.

"Companies like General Mills, Kraft, and ConAgra are all bragging to investors about their earnings," he explained. "But these profits are not just happening by accident—it's happening because consumers are paying more and farmers are making less. And to think that this is happening during a recession is unbelievable."

Buis appears to be is right. Another well-known food giant, Hershey, has seen excellent returns as of late, noting in July a nearly 6 percent sales increase. That same July announcement mentioned that commodity prices being cheaper than initial estimates have helped fuel their ascension.

When confronted with the contradiction of higher food prices at a time of plummeting ingredient costs, the food manufacturers have responded with—you guessed it—contradiction.

Unilever told the Los Angeles Times that the situation is "complex," with pricing levels remaining "both volatile and unpredictable in the medium to long term." Meanwhile, Kraft CEO Irene Rosenfeld told USA Today last year that, "our prices will go up and down as the cost of our ingredients goes up and down."

Based on a recent report by the Government Accountability Office, Kraft's prediction seems to be a little off.

That 2009 report found that supermarket prices for food have climbed by 128 percent since 1982, four times the increase in crop prices for farmers—which is, according to Buis, a "clear refute" of the big food companies' erroneous claims that farmers are the culprit.

"Last year the Grocery Manufacturers Association developed a multimillion dollar misinformation campaign to blame American farmers and ethanol producers for higher food prices," Buis said when the GAO report was made public. "Here is yet another study that shines the light of truth on the whole food-versus-fuel fiction that [the food companies] are peddling."

That should give you plenty to think about as you're pouring that bowl of cereal tomorrow morning.

http://www.thehandthatfeedsus.org/farm2fork_USDA-Food-Prices-to-Rise-2010.cfm

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2010, 05:24:31 AM »
Food Prices Rising
November 04, 2010 06:37 AM

http://atlantapost.com/2010/11/04/food-prices-rising/

________________________ ________________________ _________

(Wall Street Journal) — An inflationary tide is beginning to ripple through America’s supermarkets and restaurants, threatening to end the tamest year of food pricing in nearly two decades. Prices of staples including milk, beef, coffee, cocoa and sugar have risen sharply in recent months. And food makers and retailers including McDonald’s Corp., Kellogg Co. and Kroger Co. have begun to signal that they’ll try to make consumers shoulder more of the higher costs for ingredients.  For food executives, how quickly to pass along higher costs presents difficult choices. Missteps could be costly when the economy remains weak. Many Americans, nervous about high unemployment, have pledged allegiance to their pennies and are willing to trade down on brands, switch supermarkets, opt for Burger King over Applebee’s, or stop dining out altogether to save money.

Read More…

Fury

• Getbig V
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2010, 05:30:00 AM »

That's all well and good, Mal. Maybe she didn't own the WSJ reporter but regardless, there is plenty of talk about food inflation. Here's an article from Britain's "The Guardian" that was written five days ago.

US accused of forcing up world food prices

Fresh round of US quantitative easing will weaken dollar and push up commodity prices, hitting consumers, say critics

The US central bank was accused today of adding to soaring food prices with its new programme of quantitative easing, after oil and commodities surged on world markets.

Critics said the $600bn (£370bn) of QE announced by the Federal Reserve would hurt consumers by pushing up prices of soy, wheat and other staple foods, along with oil, copper and zinc.

The jump in commodity prices raised the prospect of an inflationary bubble reminiscent of 2008, when oil and other industrial raw materials struck all-time highs just before the crash.

While commodity traders said a decline in the dollar's value was expected following the QE decision, the Reuters/Jefferies CRB index, a global commodities benchmark, has since hit a two-year high. It has gained 18% since the start of September.

US light crude hit a year-high of $87.2 a barrel while copper flirted with record levels of $8,769.50 a tonne, within $200 of an all-time peak of $8,940 in July 2008.

UK food prices were 9.8% higher last month than a year ago, the biggest annual increase since October 2008, according to the Office for National Statistics. Imported food prices climbed 4.5% on the year, the fastest rate since October 2009, pushing up the price of bread and margarine. Prices are likely to be pushed higher in coming months, with refined sugar reaching a record of $783.90 a tonne today.

Despite surging commodity prices, Fed chairman Ben Bernanke has argued the likelihood of deflation is greater than inflation following prolonged weakness in the US economy. He said that the poor state of the housing market and continued weakness in consumer demand showed inflation was likely to undershoot the Fed's 2% target and that unemployment would remain high.

He is expected to be unmoved by the latest data showing 151,000 private-sector jobs were created in October. While many traders took the figures on face value, several analysts said they showed the jobs market remained depressed.

The Fed needs more than 300,000 jobs to be created a month to make a dent in US unemployment, which remains at 9.6%. A figure of about 150,000 is just enough to keep pace with the rising population.

However, several economists have argued the Fed's gloomy analysis cannot justify a second round of quantitative easing when high inflation and low interest rates persuade investors to seek higher returns from buying commodities and riskier asset classes.

Commodities are considered a safe haven when the dollar is falling. There is also an incentive for producers to seek higher prices to offset the falling value of the dollar.

Richard Batty of Standard Life Investments said a 10% rise in the oil price could potentially add 1% to US inflation.

"While QE may boost assets prices further and hence contribute to positive wealth effects and inflation expectations in the US economy, recent moves in oil prices, in particular, may drag on economic growth in the short term," Batty said.

China, Germany and Brazil warned that QE would have far-reaching negative effects beyond US shores. They said it amounted to promoting US exporters at the expense of rival trading nations with a scheme to artificially depress the value of the dollar.

"With all due respect, US policy is clueless," said German finance minister Wolfgang Schäuble. "[The problem] is not a shortage of liquidity. It's not that the Americans haven't pumped enough liquidity into the market. And now to say let's pump more into the market is not going to solve their problems."

Zhou Xiaochuan, China's central bank governor, said while Beijing could understand that the Fed was implementing more monetary easing to stimulate US recovery, it might not be good for the global economy.

The head of Brazil's central bank agreed that further QE would cause further "distortions" in world markets and complicate his country's efforts to stem the rise of its currency. Brazil, like Thailand and other emerging economies has imposed capital controls on investors seeking to buy Brazilian assets to prevent its currency soaring.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/nov/05/us-accused-of-worsening-price-rises

I'm not a fan of Palin by any means, but there has been plenty of talk about rising food prices across the entire world. Bad droughts coupled with the economic problems have definitely driven up the cost of certain commodity goods and it's starting to trickle into others. Either way, this WSJ reporter has come out of this looking pretty incompetent in my eyes.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2010, 05:34:41 AM »
She is talking about the impact of QE2 by Bernake which is going to great increase the already mounting food inflation, as well as the impact it is going to have on other commodities, fuel, energy, etc. 

Only a complete idiot could support Bernake in this and not see what the end results of all this craziness will be -

HIGHER FOOD PRICES
HIGHER GASOLINE PRICES
HIGHER ENERGY PRICES
HIGHER INFLATION
20% LOSS OF PURCHASING POWER OF THE DOLLAR 

ETC ETC. 

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2010, 05:51:10 AM »
Ok...is that what were gonna do. Dude, the article she was referring to she misread and lashed out before she mis read it.. Wheres the argument? Like what are we talking about right now. She Quoted a writer, commented on the writers article, she was wrong about the comment because she misquote the article. WTF is the discussion?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2010, 06:00:43 AM »
Ok...is that what were gonna do. Dude, the article she was referring to she misread and lashed out before she mis read it.. Wheres the argument? Like what are we talking about right now. She Quoted a writer, commented on the writers article, she was wrong about the comment because she misquote the article. WTF is the discussion?

1.  She posted about the damaging effects of QE2, which nearly everyone but TEAM KNEEPAD is livid over.  she said QE2 will add to an already bad situation, not that it was the cause.     

2.  The writer attacked her trying to make an argument she did not make.   

3.  She then posted a follow up that it was in the WSJ a few days before her posting that they noted food inflation and that the prices are partially rising due to overall inflation as a result of the money printing insanity of the FED. 

4.  The writer than weekly tried defending himself by posting stats irrevelent to the discussion overall. 

Do you not know the sequence of events here?   

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way