Author Topic: t-bar rows?  (Read 4980 times)

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
  • here comes the hotstepper!
t-bar rows?
« on: July 03, 2006, 10:48:25 AM »
is there a particular way to doing them? i do them with my legs bent and bent far enough over that my back doesnt' strain with heavy weights...and i still feel it in my back.

but i saw a guy with a ridiculously thick back bent over almost 90* using only two plates

i'm using 7 and i don't have a back even remotely that thick! this guy when talking to him is using light as weight on everything but is growing like a damned weed!

sauce? or just the awesome form and control?  ???

pumpster

• Getbig V
  • If you're reading this you have too much free time
Re: t-bar rows?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 11:03:26 AM »
With any form of rowing, do what is comfortable-there's a great degree of variation in form used by different people, as previously discussed in other threads.

As far as why he's built like that it would be a combo of genetics, work, nutrition and possibly drugs. Just deal with fulfilling your own potential; you may never look quite like him no matter what you do but can look good in a different way. Guys with good genetics might not even work that hard or use any real weight.

T-bars are at the top of my list for rowing motions, along with hammer rows-better than BB IMO. Try different grips.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 11:11:38 AM »
i used a medium grip for them..and love them! i feel it in my back the best that way! i'm thinking it might be drugs...he's put on about 10-15 clean lbs in the last two months....and not an ounce of fat...but i'm not gonna ask him. i train to both look good and be strong...

the strong part i've got down...the big part?  :-\ ;D

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2006, 11:12:40 AM »
maybe your better fit for machines.     for back work i stick to machines because it seems to work the muscle better..free weight movements like bent over bb rows never felt like they were building anythin to me
d[-_-]b actin all cool

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 11:16:27 AM »
T-bars, hammer-strength or similar machines are the best for rowing IMO. Never got much out of bent-over BB rows; better results with one-arm DB rows.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2006, 11:16:48 AM »
when you go from 4 45's to 7 45's in almost 3 months...you're building something!

probablyjust a bigger ass from picking them up! :D

i have noticed though that i'm getting ALOT wider with wide grip pull downs! and the weight i use is light! only 160-180lb range!

lately i've only been doing

deads
t-bar rows
wide grip pull downs
closed grip cable rows
and dumbbell rows

i feel those are solid enough for my back without doing much else.  

Oldschool Flip

• Getbig IV
  • Eat Balut! High in Protein!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2006, 11:25:08 AM »
Most people say they don't "feel" t bars IMO because they lack the mind-muscle connection. The squeeze that is accompanied with any rowing movement, is NOT really comprehended and that's why in todays new and amatuer lifters (less than 3 years) their back development is minor at best.
I feel if you don't feel like you can "touch" your elbows together behind your back and feel it, then your arms are either too wide or you're using too much weight. Learn the form first.

texasRUSH

• Getbig IV
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2006, 11:27:16 AM »
i used light enough weight to learn what it was supposed to feel like and it's made a world of difference....my back looks and feels thick! not very wide but way thick... especially higher up! might be why i don't have a v-taper...i have very high lats..they dont' appear to tie in low when flexedc but halfway down my rib cabe

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2006, 11:45:33 AM »
Rows that are effective: T-bars, hammer rows, one-arm DBs-can be felt fairly quickly in the lats.

Texas, also try medium and close-grip pulldowns using the triangle bar-really hits the lats-wide-grips aren't the only way to widen the lats.

IMO once you've found the best exercises, also occasionally mix in some other variables:

-Compound supersets ie a row exercise supersetted with a chin or pulldown.

-Use of post-failure partials, negatives or rest-pause reps.

-Deciding on a total no. of reps to be done and then doing them all in one monster set while resting in between for as long as is necessary. For example: Deciding to do one set of chins, total 30 reps. Start, do 18, then hang there 5 seconds, do 3 more, hang some more, do 3 more, etc. until reaching 30 total. Those are basically consecutive groups of rest-pause reps that comprise one huge set.

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2006, 10:06:56 AM »
If you can't feel t-bar rows & you keep adding weight....you may be cheating yourself in the exercise with improper form.

I prefer using this type of t-bar row (primary) & the old fashioned t-bar row secondary.

Very hard to cheat using these & are very effective.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2006, 10:13:15 AM »
If you can't feel t-bar rows & you keep adding weight....you may be cheating yourself in the exercise with improper form.

I prefer using this type of t-bar row (primary) & the old fashioned t-bar row secondary.

Very hard to cheat using these & are very effective.

thats the worst aparatus for t-bar rows. You won't get nothing out of it. I mean just take a look at knny on the damn thing he looks like he is 5 pounds away from a hospital bed.
just push some weight!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2006, 10:21:00 AM »
That lying T-bar version's excellent, so is the standard T-bar. Both isolate the back well, just like hammer rows.

On the other hand, BB rows never isolate or hit the lats as well from my experience.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2006, 10:28:41 AM »
That lying T-bar version's excellent, so is the standard T-bar. Both isolate the back well, just like hammer rows.

On the other hand, BB rows never isolate or hit the lats as well from my experience.

You must be a small man.
just push some weight!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2006, 11:37:02 AM »
Small only in the crotch.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2006, 11:37:46 AM »
Small only in the crotch.

Small in the crotch small all over. ;D
just push some weight!

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2006, 11:39:28 AM »
I'm tiny, no comparison with you.  ::)  :D

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2006, 01:44:19 PM »

Jr. Yates

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2006, 08:04:05 PM »
If i've already blitzed my back and I can't go too heavy on Tbar's anymore I like to use 25's for more range of motion and quick drop sets.
bodybuildersreality.com

JPM

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2006, 07:47:28 AM »
No one is going to islotate the lat's complety when the hands/arms are involved in the exercise. If the hand/arm link is taken out of any direct lat/back exercise,  than it becomes so much more effective. When the point of resistence is on the point of the elbows, rather than pulling with the hands/arms , than if may almost become a pure lat/back movement. And in return, greater muscle growth. Your not going to do that with a T bar, BB, DB or that poorly designed metal mess shown in the photo. The original Nautilus pullover machine is still one of the more effecrtive units made. Some other manufactors have produced similar devices, keeping the resistence where it belongs, on the elbows. There are also straps/web's that are positioned on the point of the elbows when doing cable (sitting) pulls. Can also use a version to use when chinning or pulldowns. Suprising that you can use so much more extra weight when using that shorter, more powerful leverage of the elbows, rather than using the weaker link of the hands/arms. How many times has the grip/arms given out before the lats are really hit to their full potentional (inducing growth/strength) when doing any form of regular rows/chins, etc?

Rather than SS'ing Rows with chins/pulldowns might try doing a set of pullovers (straight or bent) and than rows or chins. Pullovers, in what ever form (BB/DB), pre-exhaust the lats very well before doing row's, chins, etc. Can even do a tri set with pullovers, pulldowns and rows.

If anyone decides to to a 30 rep set for chins, than 10 or 12 reps should be the first goal. Take a rest-pause of 15 seconds and than try for more reps. Continue with these rest-pause breaks until the full 30 are achieved (may take awhile).  Breath deep & fully during this brief rest period. Do not hang from the bar, release the grip and relax the hands/ arms, etc for that 15 seconds. !00's can work very well with this style of training for men with serious intent. Good Luck.

SledgeHammer462

• Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2006, 09:30:50 AM »
...here's this alexxx again....

My first post!! Sorry it has to be a negitive one...But let me ask ya's this...

Is this fuckin' guy alexxx for real or what??? I'm new and have been everywhere on these boards for a week now checkin' shit out and all I see is this piece of shit alexxx showing up with his absolutely "worthless" & "weak" training advice and childish posts!!!

Then I came across those pictures of him in the other thread!!!!!...Jesus H man...You have the body of a 15 year old boy!!! You have TOTALLY "jerkoff" looking legs with that fugly friggin' hair all over them, NO calves, NO notable lower or upper back, lat/trap development what-so-ever, weak chest and small bi's and minimal (almost feminine) tricep and (fore) arm development!!!! Good mid-section (I'll give ya that)...you are at the very beggining stages of development and have years to spend in the gym before you body catches up to your fuckin' mouth!!!...dude, seems you spend way to much time on here with your 3100 worthless posts and NOT ENOUGH TIME IN THE GYM OR THE KITCHEN!!!...At this point you're about a pimple on the ass of the body building world...so keep that fag mouth closed and get to work...

You got a looooong way to go alexxx before you can begin to offer advice to anyone...I'd love for you to try to walk into my gym and shoot that shit eating mouth off...you'd get bounced outta there in a NY fuckin' minute!

SledgeHammer       

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2006, 09:57:17 AM »
Is this fuckin' guy alexxx for real or what??? I'm new and have been everywhere on these boards for a week now checkin' shit out and all I see is this piece of shit alexxx showing up with his absolutely "worthless" & "weak" training advice and childish posts!!!

Then I came across those pictures of him in the other thread!!!!!...Jesus H man...You have the body of a 15 year old boy!!!

Typical of any board-big talkers and attention nerds in lieu of substance or serious physiques. Comments best taken with a grain of salt keeping this in mind. He has some other cohorts like ND. The louder they are, typically the smaller & more dweebish they are. Just wannabes who have little to do with actual training. hahahahahah

SledgeHammer462

• Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2006, 10:18:56 AM »
...I'm tellin ya man...Every post by this dude alexxx is useless and he shoots his shit eater off like he's 6'6"/ 275!

Then I saw the pictures....HaaHaaHaa

My ol' lady has bigger guns then he has...no shit!

Yeah, I guess they're every where pumpster.....

Sledge

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2006, 10:22:50 AM »

Then I came across those pictures of him in the other thread!!!!!...Jesus H man...You have the body of a 15 year old boy!!! You have TOTALLY "jerkoff" looking legs with that fugly friggin' hair all over them, NO calves, NO notable lower or upper back, lat/trap development what-so-ever, weak chest and small bi's and minimal (almost feminine) tricep and (fore) arm development!!!! Good mid-section (I'll give ya that)...you are at the very beggining stages of development and have years to spend in the gym before you body catches up to your fuckin' mouth!!!...dude, seems you spend way to much time on here with your 3100 worthless posts and NOT ENOUGH TIME IN THE GYM OR THE KITCHEN!!!...At this point you're about a pimple on the ass of the body building world...so keep that fag mouth closed and get to work...

You got a looooong way to go alexxx before you can begin to offer advice to anyone...I'd love for you to try to walk into my gym and shoot that shit eating mouth off...you'd get bounced outta there in a NY fuckin' minute!

SledgeHammer       
Epic no body gives a shit.
follow the arrows

pumpster

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2006, 10:28:24 AM »
Quote from: SledgeHammer462 on Today at 12:30:50 PM

SledgeHammer       

Epic no body gives a shit.

FYI "hater" is another troll with nothing to contribute as you can see. Basically they're attention-starved, have the same significance as gnats. hahahahahahahah

haider

• Getbig V
  • Team Batman Squats
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2006, 10:39:45 AM »
FYI "hater" is another troll with nothing to contribute as you can see. Basically they're attention-starved, have the same significance as gnats. hahahahahahahah
says the fag thats on the ronnie vs dorian thread all day long. Ronnie's balls wouldnt be attnetion starved in that case.

Monster 40 yr old grumpy canuck. haha yes, mr "platzian quads" himself  ;D
follow the arrows