Author Topic: Man Charged 89,000 for Snakebite when the antivenom is 750 dollars. USA Sucks  (Read 13703 times)

Twaddle

• Getbig V
Lake Norman Regional, a private for-profit hospital, is under scrutiny by others for questionable practices. In a 2010 lawsuit, recently unsealed in Mecklenburg County, two emergency room doctors alleged that Lake Norman and Davis Regional Medical Center in Statesville committed fraud by offering kickbacks to doctors who would order unnecessary tests and admit more patients to increase corporate revenues. The federal Department of Justice is also investigating

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2014/01/27/4643457/mooresville-patient-stunned-by.html#storylink=cpy

Quality care.

TA, do you have health insurance? 

che

• Getbig V

YES

Twaddle

• Getbig V

che

• Getbig V
Are you his provider?   8)

I'm his friend .

Twaddle

• Getbig V
I'm his friend .

Now I know you're liar.   :D

pedro01

• Getbig V
  • Hello Hunior
Isn't this what America is all about though?

Freedom - as in the hospital being free to charge you $80k for $750 of meds?

Free Markets/Capitalism - the snake bitten guy could have shopped around, found the lowest cost hospital in his area and even the wholesale price of the meds before making an informed decision about where to take his snake bite.

With the great Gods of supply and demand driving prices, all prices of everything in America are fair.

Twaddle

• Getbig V

Free Markets/Capitalism - the snake bitten guy could have shopped around, found the lowest cost hospital in his area and even the wholesale price of the meds before making an informed decision about where to take his snake bite.

With the great Gods of supply and demand driving prices, all prices of everything in America are fair.

Good point.  Furthermore, I think 5400 out of pocket is fair for saving his life.

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
  • Roger Bacon tries to be witty and fails
Eat a dick, you know how it can be justified? It gets paid.

This

The guy had insurance, bill was paid, everyone lives happily ever after.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
Yes. Shit Cross, Shit Shield.  I have only gone to the eye doctor though.  I only carry it in case of a catastrophe.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
get the fuck out of here with that shit

illegals cost billions a year

http://antonovich.com/children-of-illegal-aliens-in-los-angeles-county-cost-more-than-54-million-per-month/

maybe the LA county supervisor knows something about this?

They contribute billions a year as well, in the form of taxes and consumer spending.  In 2006, illegal immigrants added over 18 billion to state revenues in Texas..... the money they contributed was about $500 million more than what they cost.
www.window.state.tx.us/specialrpt/undocumented/undocumented.pdf

Maybe the Texas comptroller's office knows something about this?  

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
This

Wow, really?  You see nothing wrong with this scenario?

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
Wow, really?  You see nothing wrong with this scenario?

Where did I say that?

I'm just agreeing with Irongrip. The price was justified when the insurance company paid it, that's why this will happen again and again.

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay
http://news.yahoo.com/snake-bite-89000-162515519.html

Snakebite victim charged $89,000 for 18-hour hospital stay
Dylan Stableford, Yahoo News
By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo News 6 hours ago Yahoo News

Laura and Eric Ferguson

View gallery
Laura and Eric Ferguson. (Courtesy Eric Ferguson)

A snakebite victim who was treated at a North Carolina hospital came away with more than just fang marks when he received an $89,227 bill for an 18-hour stay.

Eric Ferguson, 54, from Mooresville, N.C., was taking out the trash at his home last August when he was bitten on the foot by a snake. He drove himself to Lake Norman Regional Medical Center, where he was treated with anti-venom medicine.

According to his bill, the hospital charged $81,000 for a four-vial dose of the medication.

Shocked at the price tag, Ferguson told the Charlotte Observer he and his wife found the same vials online for retail prices as low as $750.

Ferguson, who is insured, said his care was "beyond phenomenal."

"It was just the sticker shock," he said.
View gallery
MD005166
A Southern Copperhead snake. (Photo by Joe McDonald/Corbis)

Because the hospital has a contract with Ferguson's insurer, Blue Cross and Blue Shield, it reduced the total bill to $20,227. According to the Observer, the couple paid $5,400 out of pocket to cover their deductible and co-pay.

The hospital defended its prices, saying it has to charge prices higher than retail because of the various discounts it is required to give insurers.

"We are required to give Medicare one level of discount from list price, Medicaid another, and private insurers negotiate for still others," officials told the newspaper. "If we did not start with the list prices we have, we would not end up with enough revenue to remain in operation."

The hospital added: "Our costs for providing uncompensated care are partially covered by higher bills for other patients."

The Fergusons' case is, of course, not unique. A 2013 cover story by Steven Brill in Time magazine ("Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us") detailed the "outrageous pricing and egregious profits" destroying the U.S. health care system, noting that Americans were expected to spend an estimated $2.8 trillion on health care last year.

He won't recover........he wished he was bitten by puff adder.....

JBGRAY

• Getbig IV
First off, Universal Healthcare/Single Payer does NOT work....if offered in the US, millions would abuse the system to the point where you would die before ever seeing a doctor.  If directly compared to the UK, if such a policy were implemented right now in the US, you'd have a line of 7 MILLION ahead of you awaiting care.  Can you imagine all the fat fucks and the tens of millions of depressed people signing up so they can get free drug prescriptions?

Funny how so many attempt to paint a rosy picture of the EU's and Canada's healthcare system.  It is trash.  If you disagree, you are misinformed, a liar, or have good financial means.  Isn't it just grand that you can be taken to a bed where the guy next to you is coughing up chunks of his liver and dying?

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
Where did I say that?

I'm just agreeing with Irongrip. The price was justified when the insurance company paid it, that's why this will happen again and again.

Well, perhaps I misunderstood you but it seemed like you were saying "all's well that ends well":
This

In other words, so long as the exorbitant bill gets paid, where's the problem?

Did I misinterpret your post?

The_Punisher

• Getbig V
  • The Unrighteous Shall Pay

Cobras are legends.....lol......the y're the only snake people fuck with for entertaiment purposes......I dare them to kiss a bush master or a black mamba

galeniko

• Getbig V
First off, Universal Healthcare/Single Payer does NOT work....if offered in the US, millions would abuse the system to the point where you would die before ever seeing a doctor.  If directly compared to the UK, if such a policy were implemented right now in the US, you'd have a line of 7 MILLION ahead of you awaiting care.  Can you imagine all the fat fucks and the tens of millions of depressed people signing up so they can get free drug prescriptions?

Funny how so many attempt to paint a rosy picture of the EU's and Canada's healthcare system.  It is trash.  If you disagree, you are misinformed, a liar, or have good financial means.  Isn't it just grand that you can be taken to a bed where the guy next to you is coughing up chunks of his liver and dying?
haha lol at that "argumentation", im speechless.

theres so much dumb in there, i wont bother adressing it
n

The True Adonis

• Getbig V

You are misinformed.
http://www.pnhp.org/facts/single-payer-faq
Won’t this result in rationing like in Canada?

The U.S. already rations care. Rationing in U.S. health care is based on income: if you can afford care, you get it; if you can’t, you don’t. A recent study found that 45,000 Americans die every year because they don’t have health insurance. Many more skip treatments that their insurance company refuses to cover. That’s rationing. Other countries do not ration in this way.

If there is this much rationing, why don’t we hear about it? And if other countries ration less, why do we hear about them? The answer is that their systems are publicly accountable, and ours is not. Problems with their health care systems are aired in public; ours are not. For example, in Canada, when waits for care emerged in the 1990s, Parliament hotly debated the causes and solutions. Most provinces have also established formal reporting systems on waiting lists, with wait times for each hospital posted on the Internet. This public attention has led to recent falls in waits there.

In U.S. health care, no one is ultimately accountable for how the system works. No one takes full responsibility. Rationing in our system is carried out covertly through financial pressure, forcing millions of individuals to forgo care or to be shunted away by caregivers from services they can’t pay for. The rationing that takes place in U.S. health care is unnecessary. A number of studies (notably a General Accounting Office report in 1991 and a Congressional Budget Office report in 1993) show that there is more than enough money in our health care system to serve everyone if it were spent wisely. Administrative costs are at 31% of U.S. health spending, far higher than in other countries’ systems. These inflated costs are due to our failure to have a publicly financed, universal health care system. We spend about twice as much per person as Canada or most European nations, and still deny health care to many in need. A national health program could save enough on administration to assure access to care for all Americans, without rationing.

See also: http://www.pnhp.org/news/2012/july/single-payer-does-not-equal-increased-wait-times

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
Well, perhaps I misunderstood you but it seemed like you were saying "all's well that ends well":
In other words, so long as the exorbitant bill gets paid, where's the problem?

Did I misinterpret your post?

No, I see what you're saying. I was just countering those alarmists whose only knowledge of our system is from the movie "Sicko", that believe there's some kind of incredible healthcare crisis in the United States.

POB

• Getbig IV
To bad he pays taxes or it would of been free

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
No, I see what you're saying. I was just countering those alarmists whose only knowledge of our system is from the movie "Sicko", that believe there's some kind of incredible healthcare crisis in the United States.

Cool 8)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
???
Do you know what the leading cause of bankruptcy in America is from?  Yeah no crisis here.  ::)  80,000 dollars or even a 20,000 dollar or even a 5000 dollar bill for 750 dollars in antivenom and this is not even a bad incident or an isolated incident.  No crisis, right?  47 million Americans with no Healthcare.  Nope, no crisis there.  Millions of Americans who can`t afford to pay monthly premiums.  Nope, No crisis there.  Iatrogenesis, which is physician error and misdiagnosis is the third leading cause of death (and in some studies THE LEADING CAUSE OF DEATH) in America. Nope.  No crisis there.  

http://www.cnbc.com/id/100840148

Medical Bills Are the Biggest Cause of US Bankruptcies: Study

Published: Tuesday, 25 Jun 2013 | 2:29 PM ET

Roger Bacon

• Getbig V
they all are to blame, not just the insurance companies.

all are in on it.the govt, the pharma companies, the doctors,the insurances, the hospitals, everyone.

maybe the ones who deliver food to the hospitals arent, but yeah.

adam said it right, its an entire system, its no coincidence.

200usd monthly go, whether something happens or not, that fine by me,.if nothing happens, those 200 are used in afund and can help someone else i dont know i never met.who cares,the system as a whole im fine with.

the upcoming shoulder surgery will cost ,everything included, the hospital, anaestesist, the doc, the nurses, the rehab, itll be something close to 50-80k  usd all things counted.

the gyno surgery was 15k usd+, not counting recovery meetings etc.

every day theres someone out there having heart surgery, cancer treatment etc, im happy to pay them my 200usd month.absolutely no problemo.

You would be a complete hypocrite though not to take the stance you do as an immigrant that's taken advantage of socialized medicine, so your point of view is understandable, but irrelevant IMO.  Especially since you're going to have undergone like $90k in treatment (at the cost of dozens of tax payers who have paid and paid yet will take nothing).

I mean no disrespect Gal, but I don't think you can possibly be level headed on the matter.

SF1900

• Getbig V
  • Team Hairy Chest Henda

I really hope you're trolling.
X

Ropo

• Getbig IV
http://news.yahoo.com/snake-bite-89000-162515519.html

Snakebite victim charged $89,000 for 18-hour hospital stay
Dylan Stableford, Yahoo News
By Dylan Stableford, Yahoo News 6 hours ago Yahoo News

Laura and Eric Ferguson

View gallery
Laura and Eric Ferguson. (Courtesy Eric Ferguson)

A snakebite victim who was treated at a North Carolina hospital came away with more than just fang marks when he received an $89,227 bill for an 18-hour stay.

Eric Ferguson, 54, from Mooresville, N.C., was taking out the trash at his home last August when he was bitten on the foot by a snake. He drove himself to Lake Norman Regional Medical Center, where he was treated with anti-venom medicine.

According to his bill, the hospital charged $81,000 for a four-vial dose of the medication.

Shocked at the price tag, Ferguson told the Charlotte Observer he and his wife found the same vials online for retail prices as low as $750.

Ferguson, who is insured, said his care was "beyond phenomenal."

"It was just the sticker shock," he said.
View gallery
MD005166
A Southern Copperhead snake. (Photo by Joe McDonald/Corbis)

Because the hospital has a contract with Ferguson's insurer, Blue Cross and Blue Shield, it reduced the total bill to $20,227. According to the Observer, the couple paid $5,400 out of pocket to cover their deductible and co-pay.

The hospital defended its prices, saying it has to charge prices higher than retail because of the various discounts it is required to give insurers.

"We are required to give Medicare one level of discount from list price, Medicaid another, and private insurers negotiate for still others," officials told the newspaper. "If we did not start with the list prices we have, we would not end up with enough revenue to remain in operation."

The hospital added: "Our costs for providing uncompensated care are partially covered by higher bills for other patients."

The Fergusons' case is, of course, not unique. A 2013 cover story by Steven Brill in Time magazine ("Why Medical Bills Are Killing Us") detailed the "outrageous pricing and egregious profits" destroying the U.S. health care system, noting that Americans were expected to spend an estimated $2.8 trillion on health care last year.

As you know, any other way to provide medical care is communism, so shut the fuck up. That is your own system, your own fault, so you deserve it 100%. Just send some hate mail to the white house about the Obama care, and you will feel better  ;D