Author Topic: "Sculptor of the Human Physique"  (Read 1660 times)

figgs

• Getbig IV
  • from realization to infinity
"Sculptor of the Human Physique"
« on: October 24, 2006, 01:13:20 PM »
&mode=related&search=

Frank Zane on the 1980 Mr. Olympia stage.

My question is: which is more difficult, to build muscles or sculpt muscles? Is it more respectable as a bodybuilding athlete to see your physique from an artist's perspective and sculpt it according to it's vision in your mind's eye or to simply eat and lift?

Which is more difficult, to step on a stage in presentation of your physical achievements and "raise the roof" ( ;D)or to display a flawless performance that reflects countless hours of constructing and practicing an artistic posing routine.

I am an artist, not a hobbyist. Bodybuilding is a form of artistic and creative stimulation for many like myself. In modern bodybuilding I see shock, but I see no art.

I'm not looking for thoughtless and angry responses, but thought provoking and argumentative responses.
~

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
Re: "Sculptor of the Human Physique"
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006, 01:35:13 PM »
Your muscles will always be the same shape but what you can improve is the size of the muscle and the size of an area of the muscle.

Here is what a bodybuilder should look like:

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

If this guy didn't have such a big mouth he could have one the mr. Olympia multiple times and also if he was taller.

That is what I am gonig to do. I like to think that I am a taller version of Ray Ray and will prove to him how it is done.
just push some weight!

j3di3

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006, 01:48:27 PM »
Here is what a bodybuilder should look like:

[ Invalid YouTube link ]

qft

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006, 01:48:46 PM »
Shawn Ray is a perfect example of the category of artistic bodybuilders that I'm backing in this argument. From his shape and his beautiful posing routine, he is a true artist.
~

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006, 07:24:21 PM »
Any other thoughts/opinions?
~

MisterMagoo

• Getbig V
  • And now, what joy will I have left to live for?
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006, 07:33:06 PM »
you're asking the wrong question. it's not building vs sculpting, since you can't sculpt. if it was possible to sculpt muscles, kevin levrone wouldn't have had flat biceps and ronnie's quads would have held better separation and striation.

you're asking about building muscle versus working hard on symmetry and aesthetics. it's not any easier to do either. the guys who have natural lines and aesthetics build that, same for the mass. if it's hard for you to put on weight but you're naturally pretty ripped and have great separation, then it's hard to build muscle. if you put on weight just by sneezing but look blocky and shapeless, getting aesthetics is harder.

figgs

• Getbig IV
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006, 07:39:24 PM »
you're asking the wrong question. it's not building vs sculpting, since you can't sculpt. if it was possible to sculpt muscles, kevin levrone wouldn't have had flat biceps and ronnie's quads would have held better separation and striation.

you're asking about building muscle versus working hard on symmetry and aesthetics. it's not any easier to do either. the guys who have natural lines and aesthetics build that, same for the mass. if it's hard for you to put on weight but you're naturally pretty ripped and have great separation, then it's hard to build muscle. if you put on weight just by sneezing but look blocky and shapeless, getting aesthetics is harder.

You don't get the concept of sculpting muscles. It's not changing the natural shape you were born with, but building up muscles and then refining them, as Arnold Schwarzenegger did early in his bodybuilding career. Once he realized he had all the mass he needs, he aimed on shaping them up to match this and that and to create his ideal physique/sculpture. That's done with very specific exercises, like training serratus, obliques, tear drop, biceps peak, etc.
~

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006, 12:57:54 AM »
&mode=related&search=

Frank Zane on the 1980 Mr. Olympia stage.

My question is: which is more difficult, to build muscles or sculpt muscles? Is it more respectable as a bodybuilding athlete to see your physique from an artist's perspective and sculpt it according to it's vision in your mind's eye or to simply eat and lift?

Which is more difficult, to step on a stage in presentation of your physical achievements and "raise the roof" ( ;D)or to display a flawless performance that reflects countless hours of constructing and practicing an artistic posing routine.

I am an artist, not a hobbyist. Bodybuilding is a form of artistic and creative stimulation for many like myself. In modern bodybuilding I see shock, but I see no art.

I'm not looking for thoughtless and angry responses, but thought provoking and argumentative responses.

Can't you do both? I mean, get onstage in perfect condition. Showing all the aspects that you're judged on, and then some. But, also create a flawless posing routine and pose well. Zane was pretty small compared to BBers even from his time, but that doesn't mean you only pose well or look aesthetic if you're small. Big guys can do all that Zane did/showed and more.