Author Topic: THERMODYNAMICS and Dieting.  (Read 5516 times)

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
  • Fear is proof of a degenerate mind.
THERMODYNAMICS and Dieting.
« on: September 08, 2006, 08:30:16 PM »
The Physics Diet

Want to lose weight? Easy! Just remember the first law of thermodynamics: conservation of energy.

by Richard A. Muller

Technology for Presidents

November 14, 2003

Here's an old joke. The dairy industry hires a physicist to improve milk production. After several weeks, he's ready to lecture about his progress. He draws a circle on the blackboard and says, 'Consider a spherical cow.'

I've told this joke many times, but nobody ever laughs -- except other physicists. For the rest of you, I should explain that it is self-deprecating humor. It makes fun of our penchant for oversimplification.

This month I want to talk about diet and exercise for weight loss, and I'm going to oversimplify on purpose. Consider a spherical physicist.

Most dieters are so concerned about second-order effects, such as daily fluctuations in weight and changes in metabolism, that they lose track of the first law of thermodynamics: conservation of energy.

Want to lose a pound of fat? You can work it off by hiking to the top of a 2,500-story building. Or by running 60 miles. Or by spending 7 hours cleaning animal stalls. (It is amazing what scientists have actually measured. This last example is tabulated in the book Exercise Physiology by G. Brooks and T. Fahey.)

Exercise is a very difficult way to lose weight. Here's a rule of thumb: exercise very hard for one hour (swimming, running, or racquetball)– and you'll lose about one ounce of fat. Light exercise for an hour (gardening, baseball, or golf) will lose you a third of an ounce.  That number is small because fat is a very energy-dense substance: it packs about 4,000 food calories per pound, the same as gasoline, and 15 times as much as in TNT.

If you run for an hour, you'll lose that ounce of fat and also a pound or two of water. By the next day, when you've replenished the water, you might think, 'the weight came right back!' But you'd be wrong -- you really did lose an ounce. It is hard to notice, unless you keep running every day for a month or more, and don't reward yourself after each run with a cookie.

There is a much easier way to lose weight, as we can learn from the first law of thermodynamics. Eat less.

A reasonable daily diet for an adult is 2,000 food calories. That's 8.36 megajoules per day, or about 100 joules per second -- in other words, 100 watts.  Most of that ends up as heat, so you warm a room as much as a bright light bulb. Cut your consumption by 600 calories per day and you'll lose a pound of fat every week. Most diet experts consider that a reasonable goal. Don't drop below 1,000 calories per day, or you might get lethargic. But at 1,400 calories per day, you can easily maintain an active life.

Of course, there is a catch. You'll be hungry.

It's not real hunger–not like the painful hunger of starving people in impoverished countries. It's more of a mild ache, or an itch that you mustn't scratch. To be popular, a diet must somehow cope with this hunger. Weight Watchers does it with peer support. The food pyramid does it by encouraging you to eat unlimited celery. Some high-fat diets satisfy all your old cravings -- and figure you'll eventually cut back the butter you put on your bacon.

Last April, I had once again grown out of my belt. I wasn't grossly overweight: 205 pounds in a six-foot, one-inch body.  That wouldn't be bad for a football player, but I'm 59 years old, and the excess pounds weren't in muscle. I had gained a pound a year for several decades. I felt heavy and old. I decided to try conservation of energy. I gave up lunch and snacks.

How to cope with the hunger? I attempted to enjoy it. I thought of the movie Lawrence of Arabia, in which T.E. Lawrence says, 'The trick is not minding that it hurts.' I told myself that the mild ache was only the sensation of evaporating fat. That interpretation has some basis in physics. When you lose weight, most of your fat is converted to the gases carbon dioxide and water vapor, and so you get rid of fat by breathing it out of your body.

Physics works, and I lost weight. By August, I was down to 175 pounds, a 30-pound drop. My belt went from 42 inches to 36 inches.  My Zen-like approach to hunger also worked; I found myself declining offers of chocolate cake because I didn't want to lose the sensation of evaporation. I didn't change my level of activity, and managed to maintain my diet while taking trips to Cuba and Alaska -- and during  a week-long backpacking excursion in the Sierra Nevada. A key innovation: I kept up the social aspects of lunch, without eating. I watched others gobbling cheeseburgers, while I sipped diet cola. It really wasn't that hard to do. And the mild afternoon discomfort was compensated by several positive developments. Dinner became truly wonderful. I hadn't had pre-dinner hunger for decades. A sharp appetite turns a meal into a feast. No more cheese 'appetizers' for me.

Moreover -- and this may sound silly coming from a physicist -- I was surprised that I began to feel lighter. I no longer walk down streets -- I float. Distant stores seem closer. And my knees have responded to the lighter load. Their aching, which I had mistakenly attributed to aging, went away.

Food is instant gratification. And fast-food chains and gourmet restaurants serve tasty food at remarkably low cost. It is a situation unprecedented in history and unanticipated by our genes. No wonder we are overweight.

Anybody can lose weight. Energy is conserved. Just stop scratching that itch. Of course, you'll have to sacrifice instant gratification. Is it worth it? You decide. Food is delicious and cheap. You might reasonably choose to take advantage of this unique historical circumstance, and decide to be fat.

It's been seven months since I started my diet, and two months since I left it. I've begun eating a light lunch, and having an occasional small snack. I'm still at 175. But I never want to lose the delicious edge of hunger before dinner, or the floating sensation when I walk. Moving takes less energy now, so I have more energy. I no longer feel like a spherical physicist. And for losing weight, dieting sure beats cleaning animal stalls.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
Re: THERMODYNAMICS and Dieting.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2006, 08:50:11 PM »
Disprove The LAW of Thermodynamics.

You can`t.

Anybody can eat Krispy Kreme and get ripped and look awesome, if you know what you are doing.

You don`t need cardio either.

Wee Laddy

• Getbig II
  • Bow to your bunny overlords!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2006, 08:54:54 PM »
 :-X

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 08:55:37 PM »

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2006, 08:58:21 PM »

You can`t.

Anybody can eat Krispy Kreme and get ripped and look awesome, if you know what you are doing.

Like I said before, this method is nothing new. THe problem is you are cutting your 1 krispe creme in half and eating 1 tablespoon of ice cream. Most people will sit and eat the whole box once they start.

bjorn_fairhair

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2006, 09:00:47 PM »

You can`t.

The first law of Thermodynamics is the one about conservation of energy.

You can not "Get ripped and look awesome" just by eating Krispy Kreme. Unless of course you choose their alternative menus that don't include Doughnuts.

Gaining quality muscle is about eating quality foods. Losing weight can occur on a diet of just doughnuts, Sure. But who simply wants to "loose weight"? We want to be healthy also, And you won't be healthy with a diet consisting of nothing but Doughnuts.

If you are 250lbs and are extremely obese and generally consume 6,000 kcalories a day and you suddenly change your diet to nothing but Doughnuts and only consume 3,000 kcals a day of doughnuts then you will lose weight. But this will also damage your health.

Gaining quality body mass as in muscle mass requires a lot more nutrients than you could possibly find in an all Krispy Kream Diet.

Moreover, Adding cardiovascular exercise to your routine not only improves your health but it also makes it a lot easier to lose that extra unwanted body fat.

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2006, 09:03:27 PM »

You can not "Get ripped and look awesome" just by eating Krispy Kreme. Unless of course you choose their alternative menus that don't include Doughnuts.

Yes you can if you are in a caloric defecit!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2006, 09:04:07 PM »

Gaining quality muscle is about eating quality foods. Losing weight can occur on a diet of just doughnuts, Sure. But who simply wants to "loose weight"? We want to be healthy also, And you won't be healthy with a diet consisting of nothing but Doughnuts.

If you are 250lbs and are extremely obese and generally consume 6,000 kcalories a day and you suddenly change your diet to nothing but Doughnuts and only consume 3,000 kcals a day of doughnuts then you will lose weight. But this will also damage your health.

Gaining quality body mass as in muscle mass requires a lot more nutrients than you could possibly find in an all Krispy Kream Diet.

Moreover, Adding cardiovascular exercise to your routine not only improves your health but it also makes it a lot easier to lose that extra unwanted body fat.

Your post has TOO MANY flaws to point out.

bjorn_fairhair

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2006, 09:05:50 PM »
Yes you can if you are in a caloric defecit!

It depends on your definition of "looking awesome". Someone who lives on  krispy Kreme diet will have numerous health issues aside from the fact that they won't have much muscle mass because of the nutrient deficit.

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2006, 09:09:22 PM »

It depends on your definition of "looking awesome". Someone who lives on  krispy Kreme diet will have numerous health issues aside from the fact that they won't have much muscle mass because of the nutrient deficit.

Yes, but Adonis is eating meat as well from subway, or mcdonalds usually  protein!

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2006, 09:11:12 PM »

You possibly cannot think that eating 300 lbs of meat a year (350 grams of protein a day)

To gain 48 ounces of muscle is optimal.  DO YOU?

That is a GIANT RED FLAG of the futility and ineffeciency of taking in protein like that.

bjorn_fairhair

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2006, 09:11:57 PM »
Yes, but Adonis is eating meat as well from subway, or mcdonalds usually  protein!

I don't know what his diet is. I was just addressing the facts about an all doughnut diet. Also it should be pointed out that eating that much fast food is just asking for cardiac arrest. You can have high cholesterol levels even if you aren't obese when your diet is Mcdonalds everyday.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2006, 09:12:16 PM »
You possibly cannot think that eating 300 lbs of meat a year (350 grams of protein a day)

That is a GIANT RED FLAG of the futility and ineffeciency of taking in protein like that.

I gain a lot more than 3lbs of lean muscle a year, I don't know about you. Maybe you have naturally low testosterone levels???

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2006, 09:13:09 PM »

I don't know what his diet is. I was just addressing the facts about an all doughnut diet. Also it should be pointed out that eating that much fast food is just asking for cardiac arrest. You can have high cholesterol levels even if you aren't obese when your diet is Mcdonalds everyday.

Would it be an issue when you are only eating 1600 calories like he is though?

bjorn_fairhair

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2006, 09:15:54 PM »

The human body can only absorb and synthesize so much protein. The rest is passed out of your body via urination. .4 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight is more than enough.

Vince G, CSN MFT

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • GETBIG3.COM!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2006, 09:16:00 PM »

One measily multi-vitamin consistantly every day will take case of a persons needs if taken everyday on a consistant basis. 

Of course, no-one lives on a diet of doughnuts but the majority of the Americans live on fast food and microwave crap.  But even with that, its not the actual food, its the large amount of food eaten at irregular times putting the body into mini  starvation mood causing the body to automatically store fat.

It is better to have healthy food around but if you are hungry, its better to simply reach for an ice cream cone than to put your body into a catabolic state and cause it to store food when you finally do eat
A

bjorn_fairhair

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2006, 09:17:24 PM »
Would it be an issue when you are only eating 1600 calories like he is though?

Would what be an Issue? Cardiac problems from such a diet even on 1600 calories a day? Yes.

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2006, 09:18:24 PM »

The human body can only absorb and synthesize so much protein. The rest is passed out of your body via urination. .4 grams of protein per kg of bodyweight is more than enough.

How many grams do you get a day?  I am on a much lower protein diet myself now.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2006, 09:18:48 PM »

Good So you proved me Correct.

I get 30 grams at least.

bjorn_fairhair

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2006, 09:19:59 PM »
How many grams do you get a day?  I am on a much lower protein diet myself now.

Me personally? Probably less than 80 grams a day on average.

The True Adonis

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2006, 09:20:35 PM »

There is more Cholesterol in a Chicken Breast than in a Big MAC.

Look it up.

bjorn_fairhair

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2006, 09:21:33 PM »
Good So you proved me Correct.

I get 30 grams at least.

What do you weigh? If you weigh 200lbs then at .4/kg you should be getting at least 170 grams of protein a day. The .4 grams per kg of bodyweight only applies to lean mass.

bjorn_fairhair

• Time Out
  • Getbig II
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2006, 09:22:14 PM »

Look it up.

It definitely depends on the Chicken Breast.

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2006, 09:22:29 PM »

Look it up.

You act like Cholesterol is a completely bad thing. Do you even know it's role in human physiology?

Bast000

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Team Malk-Gallon
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2006, 09:23:31 PM »

What do you weigh? If you weigh 200lbs then at .4/kg you should be getting at least 170 grams of protein a day. The .4 grams per kg of bodyweight only applies to lean mass.

how do you figure 170?   

It would be 36grams   if it's .4g per Kg