Author Topic: NFL Rushing Attack..Who best running back..ever?  (Read 32899 times)

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
Re: NFL Rushing Attack..Who best running back..ever?
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 10:17:25 PM »
And Terrell Davis blew away Smith in games that mattered.  Terrell was the best playoff running back in history so where does that put him?

Definitely out of the top 5.

He's just one of those guys who had a handful of good years but he was definitely unstoppable in the playoffs, no question.

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 10:23:30 PM »
Definitely out of the top 5.

He's just one of those guys who had a handful of good years but he was definitely unstoppable in the playoffs, no question.

He was better than just "one of those guys".  TD was better than all of his contemporaries that are in the Hall of Fame right now(Bettis(soon to be), Martin, and Faulk) at the time of his career ending knee injury.  He did more in less time than anybody.

NFL MVP, SuperBowl MVP, 2x SB winner, NFL rushing leader, 2000 yard rusher, most 100 yard rushing playoff games in history.  

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 10:26:08 PM »
I can remember one season where Moore/Perriman both had around 100 catches plus they had a decent tight end plus Sanders catching balls out of the backfield as well so I am sure he did.

Sanders also had a couple pro bowl caliber players on the offensive line as well.

People want to look back to his teammates like they were a bunch of nobodies which was certainly not the case.

so you are going to compare Barry Sanders, Herman Moore and Scott Mitchell...  to Emmit Smith, Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin?...oh and throw Jay Novacek in there too....

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 10:26:17 PM »
NFL MVP, SuperBowl MVP, 2x SB winner, NFL rushing leader, 2000 yard rusher, most 100 yard rushing playoff games in history.  

sick resume.   How many years was his career?

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 10:28:59 PM »
He was better than just "one of those guys".  TD was better than all of his contemporaries that are in the Hall of Fame right now(Bettis(soon to be), Martin, and Faulk) at the time of his career ending knee injury.  He did more in less time than anybody.

Terrell Davis was fucking bad ass. I remember a player saying if felt like he was made out of concrete when you tried to tackle him.

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2012, 10:29:22 PM »
Like 5 years but he blew his knee out after his 2000 yard season.  Tried to come back the year after and just couldn't it anymore.

There were only 3 guys that were considered as Barry's equal during Barry's run.  Thurman Thomas, Emmitt, and TD.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2012, 10:30:27 PM »

C'mon you REALLY want me to compare Terrell Davis to Sanders, Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton??

That top 5 group is extremely exclusive and while Terrell Davis was great for a few years who would YOU put him in over those guys?

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2012, 10:32:47 PM »
C'mon you REALLY want me to compare Terrell Davis to Sanders, Jim Brown, Emmitt Smith and Walter Payton??

That top 5 group is extremely exclusive and while Terrell Davis was great for a couple years who would YOU put him in over those guys?

I wouldn't...but if he stayed healthy (big BUT)...he would be one of those guys.  Like Gayle Sayers.

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2012, 10:32:51 PM »
Terrell Davis was fucking bad ass. I remember a player saying if felt like he was made out of concrete when you tried to tackle him.

Terrell Davis was legit.  I am a huge Broncos fan though so I'm bias.  TD wasn't the best running back ever but he deserves to be in the Hall of Fame I feel.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #34 on: November 30, 2012, 10:33:18 PM »
what's the criteria?

1) Who would you start for a single Super Bowl game, in their prime, for your team?

or

2) Whose career body of work was the best?

or

3) Who achieved the most in the shortest amount of time?  Accomplishment per game?

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #35 on: November 30, 2012, 10:34:25 PM »

That top 5 group is extremely exclusive and while Terrell Davis was great for a few years who would YOU put him in over those guys?

No-but like I said he deserves HOF recognition.  Which he may never get because of his short career span.

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: November 30, 2012, 10:37:31 PM »
what's the criteria?

1) Who would you start for a single Super Bowl game, in their prime, for your team?

or

2) Whose career body of work was the best?

or

3) Who achieved the most in the shortest amount of time?  Accomplishment per game?

1) Terrell Davis

2) Emmitt Smith. 

3) Terrell Davis

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: November 30, 2012, 10:37:38 PM »
so you are going to compare Barry Sanders, Herman Moore and Scott Mitchell...  to Emmit Smith, Troy Aikman and Michael Irvin?...oh and throw Jay Novacek in there too....

Of course not. From 1992 to 1995 Dallas had some of the greatest teams of all time. Stacked offensive line including future Hall of Famer Larry Allen. Hall of famers Aikman, Irvin, Smith and pro bowler Novacek.

As far as my list of all time running backs I'd probably have Sanders pretty clear number 1 then that group of Brown, Payton and Smith just below him and pretty comparable amongst themselves.

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #38 on: November 30, 2012, 10:59:24 PM »

Marshall Faulk

Had over 1000 receiving and over 1300 rushing yards in 1999
Pro Bowl (1994, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002)
NFL Offensive Player of the Year (1999, 2000, 2001)
Pro Bowl MVP (1994)

The guy could catch, run, and block very efficiently.  Most of these running backs listed were only rushers.

Parker

• Getbig V
  • He Sees The Stormy Anger Of The World
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2012, 11:09:21 PM »

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2012, 11:11:02 PM »
I think Barry Sanders was the best runner of all time.  He did the most with the least help.  There are other guys that might have been more versatile or played on better teams but Barry was in God mode on Sundays. 

Jim Brown would be the best ever but I don't think the guys he played against were anywhere near as fast as the modern guys.  5.2 yds per carry 104.3 yds per game.  12,312 yds and 106 tds in just 9 years. 

CARTEL

• Getbig V
  • Have a good time, all the time.
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2012, 11:11:44 PM »
I always forget about Faulk but he is definitely up there. Great player.

Nicademus

• Time Out
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2012, 11:13:33 PM »
Yet no mention of Jamal Lewis
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LewiJa00.htm

Hell no.  He played the Browns twice a year in his heyday and had like 500 yards against just them in his 2000 yd season.

Players that should be mentioned though.

Oj Simpson

Earl Campbell

Eric Dickerson

Thurman Thomas

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2012, 11:25:04 PM »
I think Barry Sanders was the best runner of all time.  He did the most with the least help.  There are other guys that might have been more versatile or played on better teams but Barry was in God mode on Sundays. 

Jim Brown would be the best ever but I don't think the guys he played against were anywhere near as fast as the modern guys.  5.2 yds per carry 104.3 yds per game.  12,312 yds and 106 tds in just 9 years. 

this.

The reason you see so many insane highlight reels of Sanders, is because half the time the dude had 3 D linemen in his face 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

averaged 1500 yards a season and 300 receiving on top of it. that's ridiculous

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2012, 12:58:51 AM »

Sanders was an awesome runner but couldn't pick up a blitz like Emmit.

People forget that the Lions had one of the worst offensive lines at the time, so it's not like he had as many options in the blitz compared to Smith who had one of the best offensive lines at the time.

Without a doubt, overall, Sanders wins it, there's simply no question.  If Sanders played for the Cowboys this wouldn't even be a debate whatsoever, but considering how horrible the Lions were overall, Sanders made magic out of turds.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2012, 01:26:24 AM »
People forget that the Lions had one of the worst offensive lines at the time, so it's not like he had as many options in the blitz compared to Smith who had one of the best offensive lines at the time.

Without a doubt, overall, Sanders wins it, there's simply no question.  If Sanders played for the Cowboys this wouldn't even be a debate whatsoever, but considering how horrible the Lions were overall, Sanders made magic out of turds.

One of the worst offensive lines at the time with 2 multi year pro bowlers in Kevin Glover and Lomas Brown ?

No other options yet Perriman and Moore both had a 100 catch season in the same year?

It's understood that Sanders is one of the very best of all time but some of you guys are just suffering from revisionist history.

diamondcut

• Getbig III
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2012, 01:36:20 AM »
Adrian Peterson is certainly up there... I'm not saying he's the best but... a lot of the guys who are mentioned in this thread were playing in an era of scrubs

Today's athletes are faster, stronger, tougher than the old days.

For Adrian to be as dominant as he is as a pure rusher is incredible in today's game.

Jim Brown was a great RB for his time but come on, a lot of the defensive players back then are not at the physical caliber of today's athletes.

And to be a RB it is a very physical position, your success that is dependent on how big and fast all the other guys are on the field.

Pray_4_War

• Getbig V
  • Thot Expert
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2012, 03:26:00 AM »
One of the worst offensive lines at the time with 2 multi year pro bowlers in Kevin Glover and Lomas Brown ?

No other options yet Perriman and Moore both had a 100 catch season in the same year?

It's understood that Sanders is one of the very best of all time but some of you guys are just suffering from revisionist history.

Sanders played 9 years with the Lions and almost the whole time he was there the team was total ass.  They might have had a couple good linemen for a while.  They might have had a couple receivers do well for a while.  They might have had a QB well for a brief period, but the Lions sucked ass.  It's not revisionist history.  I watched the games and I can tell you with certainty that he was practically a one man team running for his life with defensive linemen in the backfield.  This is the main reason he retired early.  He couldn't stomach losing and taking a beating like that anymore. To compare the players that Barry played with to what Emmitt, Faulk, Payton, Terrell Davis, or even Jim Brown had is laughable.

polychronopolous

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2012, 03:57:29 AM »
Sanders played 9 years with the Lions and almost the whole time he was there the team was total ass.  They might have had a couple good linemen for a while.  They might have had a couple receivers do well for a while.  They might have had a QB well for a brief period, but the Lions sucked ass.  It's not revisionist history.  I watched the games and I can tell you with certainty that he was practically a one man team running for his life with defensive linemen in the backfield.  This is the main reason he retired early.  He couldn't stomach losing and taking a beating like that anymore. To compare the players that Barry played with to what Emmitt, Faulk, Payton, Terrell Davis, or even Jim Brown had is laughable.

So a team that goes to the playoffs in  91, 93, 94, 95, 97 and 99 in a stacked conference like the 90s NFC is "complete ass"?

And if Barry Sanders was such a one man show capable of taking a helpless, destitute team full of garbage to the post season then explain to me how they made the playoffs in 1999, a year after he retired?

G_Thang

• Getbig V
  • The World South of the USA isnt for pussies!
« Reply #49 on: December 01, 2012, 04:20:52 AM »

He stayed injury FREE longer than the other 2 or 3 Denver backs, who also posted 1200-1600 yd rushing season.  It was Mike's zone blocking system, not his 4.6 40 or no moves, downhill running style.  Actually, he was able to make one cut and get into the wholes.  Oh, go look at Bobby Humphies and see the stats he put up in Mile's system before he got hurt after 2 or 3 seasons.  Then, there was Clinton Portis, who put of freakish numbers in Mike's system, but he left because they didn't want to pay him after a 1600 yd season, when he was making around the minimum.  Davis talent wise is no better than those other two, just happen to have Elway under center during his 7 year run, before injuries killed his career.  I remember him playing and would fight with a friend that I never induct him in the hall of fame because it was all system.  Put him in Detroit and he would have averaged 3 yds per carry.  Sanderson would have had multiple 2000 yd seasons in that system.   Faulk and Dickerson would have been beyond legend, if they were running through the wholes Mike's zone blocking system created. 1

NFL people have pretty good memories, not to vote him in.  Not a great back, but one of the greatest systems in a 10-12 yr stretch Shanahan put together.