Author Topic: Pet food  (Read 2569 times)

Migs

• Getbig V
  • THERE WAS A FIRE FIGHT!!!!
Pet food
« on: April 29, 2009, 08:40:54 AM »
Ok, so when i had my doggie, the majority of his life we fed him chicken and rice, or some protein variation with rice.  We made it, cooked the chicken, made chicken broth and used it to cook the rice in, had some veggies in it, peas carrots etc.  He loved it and was healthy.  I would take him to the vet and he would ask what i was feeding him, since he had a great coat, gleeming eyes, perfect health.  Later on we switched him to prepared food.  He still did well but i can't help to think that it wasn't as good for him.  As i am looking for a dog, I was wondering what food brands out there are the best.  Time is an issue so not sure if i will be able to always be able to cook his food.  I figure I could use a combination. during the week he gets prepped food, weekends he gets cooked food.  Not sure if this is wise though.  Thoughts?

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
Re: Pet food
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 03:44:15 PM »
There's a couple of old threads on this subject.  Scout gets Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.  I think STella feeds that too.  Very good, high quality, easy to find kibble.  I have a friend who has 4  :o dogs and cooks up large batches of food to mix in with a high quality kibble.  They use a doggie food recipe book.  Rarely does Scout get straight kibble.  I'm always mixing in something (he's not fussy).  Things I add are: pumpkin, fish oil, plain yogurt, mackeral, brocoli...

~flower is a fan of raw, but I knew that was something I could not fully commit to and it's suggested that you not do not flip flop from raw to kibble.

I'll look for some of those threads as well as the WDJ's top 10 kibbles.
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 04:21:30 PM »
:

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 09:15:34 PM »
hmm, not sure about the raw stuff.  I just want to make sure i get him/her good healthy stuff.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 05:31:21 AM »
Picked up some tripe and other goodies this weekend!   ;)

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 06:06:14 AM »
There's a couple of old threads on this subject.  Scout gets Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul.  I think STella feeds that too.  Very good, high quality, easy to find kibble. 

Yes I feed that too.  As far as I know only one place in town sells it.  If they were to stop I would try to order it online because it is Flower-approved as far as kibbles go.
R

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 08:22:16 AM »
they have some cool stuff for dogs.  Between bath wipes and all.

Luv2Hurt

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2009, 05:26:19 AM »
My dog has been doing real well on Fromm dry.  Excellent line of quality foods, a little hard to find but it may be available near you.

http://www.frommfamily.com/products-fs-d-d-duck.php

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2009, 06:47:34 PM »
just got a rescue kitten for my mom.  will have pics monday, maybe sunday. about 7 weeks old.

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2009, 09:12:30 PM »
Ok, so when i had my doggie, the majority of his life we fed him chicken and rice, or some protein variation with rice.  We made it, cooked the chicken, made chicken broth and used it to cook the rice in, had some veggies in it, peas carrots etc.  He loved it and was healthy.  I would take him to the vet and he would ask what i was feeding him, since he had a great coat, gleeming eyes, perfect health.  Later on we switched him to prepared food.  He still did well but i can't help to think that it wasn't as good for him.  As i am looking for a dog, I was wondering what food brands out there are the best.  Time is an issue so not sure if i will be able to always be able to cook his food.  I figure I could use a combination. during the week he gets prepped food, weekends he gets cooked food.  Not sure if this is wise though.  Thoughts?

Personally, I think a dog needs a little more nutritional variety in their overall diet - ie; various meats/proteins, fats and carbohydrates.  From what I understand, you don't want to go between raw and kibble tho - too hard on their digestive system.  A minimum requirement in kibble is that the first 4 or 5 ingredients must be meat based.  Avoid wheat and wheat gluten.

P.S.  Fish oil is a must  ;)
:

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2009, 09:13:30 PM »
just got a rescue kitten for my mom.  will have pics monday, maybe sunday. about 7 weeks old.

Kittens are soooo cute.

Can't wait to see her/him  :D
:

Migs

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 09:20:28 PM »
she's friggin cute as hell.  she fits balled up in my hand.