Author Topic: From Man to Beast. Working towards a 300kg deadlift  (Read 53608 times)

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Re: From Man to Beast. Working to a 500lb raw squat Page 6
« Reply #175 on: May 29, 2009, 02:50:14 AM »
get under the pullup bar!!

lol. I was chinning?

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #176 on: May 29, 2009, 11:32:38 AM »
Trained again today. I was down in my friend's city centre gym, where they have a log, so I was on it again. Gradually working that up and when I'm down there I just replace the power jerk I normally do in that workout with the log.

Some other shoulder pressing and triceps work. I am considering throwing in some rotator cuff work, though I already have quite a bit in my workouts, so maybe next time I'm changing my routine about I can slot them in somewhere.

Did some goodmornings as well. They are really coming along for me. Working sets are at 125kg (275lbs), unbelted and quite deep. I'd like to get these to 300lbs with the same arrangement (unbelted). If I manage it I'll definitely get them on video

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2009, 04:04:26 PM »
Finished my exams for the summer today. Headed into the city centre and decided I was going to have a sick squat session. First off I worked up to 220kg for a single belted. A personal best and I know I had 500lbs in me, but held back just to be safe. Video:

After this I did 160kg 4x6 unbelted. Then followed that up with the most grueling set of squats I have ever done in my life. By rep 14 I thought I was going to vomit. By 18 I could hardly breathe and thought I would pass out. By 20, well, it felt like I was dying from the inside out. I still enjoyed it though  :P Some reps maybe not quite to parallel, but happy with it nonetheless, especially considering all the squatting beforehand. Notice my mate blessing me as I lay on the floor afterwards. lol. Also, my friend had been counting wrong. He said one more at one stage, so I had to scream and let him know it was actually two  :D

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #178 on: June 03, 2009, 07:16:50 PM »
Very nice work!!! Cool looking vids too. :P

How the hell do you hold the bar so far down your back? Guess Im just not that flexible. ;D

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #179 on: June 04, 2009, 03:29:00 AM »
Very nice work!!! Cool looking vids too. :P

How the hell do you hold the bar so far down your back? Guess Im just not that flexible. ;D

Cheers dude  :) The bar position is a totally new thing for me. Until a few months ago I used to have the bar basically on top of my traps.

Over a year ago someone had recommended that I move the bar down lower. I tried it and didn't like it one bit. Then, a few months ago, I thought I'd try it again. I moved it down and it was sitting on the spines of my scapulae. I did 3 or so workouts like that and it hurt like hell because the bar was just sitting on the bone.

The next workout I thought, what the hell I'll take it down further. I did and holy shit it feels right. I've been trying to increase the size on my upper back so I have a little "padding" so to speak. It's definitely worked. One bad point is my wrists are taking a hammering from it. It feels tight as hell though, I'm really glad I made the transition. I'm going to look into getting a pair of wrist wraps to give them a bit of support

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
« Reply #180 on: June 04, 2009, 10:54:20 AM »
I have tried lowering the bar on my back but it always feels unstable. I just like the feeling of it on my traps, it isnt going anywhere. I will definitely be giving it another try though. People say they actually get more poundage from putting it lower. Does the lower position equate to increased weight on your squat, burn?

11venthhour

• Getbig III
« Reply #181 on: June 04, 2009, 08:11:59 PM »
that bar is super low!

i know when i lowered the squat to about my rear delt and lower trap area it helped increase the weight. but most of all i felt more balanced when i squatted. a lot of time when i would squat with the bar on top of the traps, i would feel myself lean forward especially when i went heavy so then you spend time compensating.

awesome videos!

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #182 on: June 05, 2009, 07:19:19 AM »
I have tried lowering the bar on my back but it always feels unstable. I just like the feeling of it on my traps, it isnt going anywhere. I will definitely be giving it another try though. People say they actually get more poundage from putting it lower. Does the lower position equate to increased weight on your squat, burn?

I definitely think the new positioning has helped up my squat poundage. It feels very stable for me. I have found that taking my hands in as close as possible (flexibility permitting) and then gripping it like hell and trying to bend it around my back has really helped keep everything tight.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #183 on: June 05, 2009, 07:25:13 AM »
that bar is super low!

i know when i lowered the squat to about my rear delt and lower trap area it helped increase the weight. but most of all i felt more balanced when i squatted. a lot of time when i would squat with the bar on top of the traps, i would feel myself lean forward especially when i went heavy so then you spend time compensating.

awesome videos!

Cheers dude. I agree with you. Having the bar lower on my back protects my lower back, especially when things get tough. I used to have a horrible habit of kicking my ass up early and taking the weight on my lower back when I was finding a rep difficult.

In physics terms it makes sense. I think of my lower back as the pivot point, my spine as the lever and the weight as the force applied to the lever. The further away the weight is from the pivot point, the more easily it will be for it to take control and also the more difficult it will be for me to get the weight up if I lose a bit of form. Having the weight closer to the pivot means it can't exert such a large force on my lower back.

ripitupbaby

• Pros
  • Getbig V
  • 2010 Olympia Pro Powerlifting Champ
« Reply #184 on: June 05, 2009, 06:29:59 PM »
Awesome vids burn.   Impressive... first vid looked waaaaaaaaaaaay too easy, and I got tired watching the second one.  8)

:)

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #185 on: June 05, 2009, 07:13:47 PM »
damn burn that 220kg squat looked awesome bro you look like you had alot left in you...good shit keep up the good work

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2009, 08:06:57 AM »
Awesome vids burn.   Impressive... first vid looked waaaaaaaaaaaay too easy, and I got tired watching the second one.  8)

Thanks Rip  :) My legs are almost back to normal now  ;D

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #187 on: June 07, 2009, 08:09:48 AM »
damn burn that 220kg squat looked awesome bro you look like you had alot left in you...good shit keep up the good work

Cheers tony, I'd love a 250 before the end of the year  :)

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
« Reply #188 on: July 13, 2009, 09:27:02 PM »
nice squat and the kinda depth that i love myself! feels good to sit down that deep doesn't it!  ;D ;D  good work man

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #189 on: August 05, 2009, 04:52:31 PM »
nice squat and the kinda depth that i love myself! feels good to sit down that deep doesn't it!  ;D ;D  good work man

Cheers dude!

Sorry I haven't been online lately, been having some serious internet issues  >:(

Anyways, in the time I've been away I've started to make the transition into equipped lifting. The first day in gear was an experience alright. A totally different animal. I managed a 600lb squat from a box 1 inch above parallel, straps down and then tried out the bench and managed 200kg off a 3 board in a fury.

I haven't trained straps up in the squat as I've found they really throw me forward. I'm going to gradually work them in once I become confident with what I already have on.

I'm continuing my raw training and then training equipped once a week with a club down the motorway from me. Training there tomorrow. Some light squats and heavy deads. Might have a video, depends how things go. My back has some DOMS from the other day, but if it feels good tomorrow I might consider a PR attempt

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
Good to see you're still at it! Making good progress I see. Keep it up!

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Re: From Man to Beast. Working to a 300kg single ply squat and 300kg raw dead Pa
« Reply #191 on: September 15, 2009, 02:57:18 PM »
I should really update this more often  :-\

Still training equipped. Moved into a looser suit in order to get straps up and get used to it. Then I'll get into a slightly tighter one again etc

Started squatting with an old pair of my friend's Inzer iron Z wraps the other day. They felt good, so I've ordered a new pair for myself from Andy Bolton.

I am benching equipped this weekend and ideally I'll get something like 230kg in a single ply katana. Shirted lifting seems to really suit me as my tris are far stronger than my delts and the shirt compensates for this.

I have yet to find a deadlift suit that fits me. Chances are I will try on my friend's which has adjustable straps. Then see how that goes and if  I find something that suits me then I will order an adjustable one myself and have it sewn up where is best for me. I'm not too optimistic about this though, as my deadlift technique is somewhat different and so a suit probably won't do me any good.

My back is still holding up and I've been working with 550lb belted on the deadlift. Raw squats coming along nicely as well. Come November I would like in and around 235-240kg. Bench-wise 155kg would make me very happy.

Nothing else exceptional. Just made a few changes. Lifting heavier, but less frequently and doing a sort of two day split. Training three days a week, one day in gear and two raw.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Re: From Man to Beast. Working to a 300kg single ply squat and 300kg raw dead Pa
« Reply #192 on: September 21, 2009, 05:03:12 AM »
Holy shit, yesterday was a disaster. I was doing this bench comp at short notice, so had to diet. I came in well under 110 at 108.6kg. We had travelled down at short notice as well the night before. I barely got any sleep. When I got my hand outs the bar felt nowhere near 210kg, so I really thought I could have put in at least one good press

First attempt. 210kg, tough to touch, but my form was shite. Got about half way up and the bar went wonky. No lift

Second attempt. 210kg, easier to touch, felt tighter, again, off the chest then stalled. No lift

Third attempt. 210kg, felt great coming down, got my line and felt the shirt tighten up. Came off the chest well and thought I had a fighting chance. Due to the traction I was putting on the floor with my legs through my arch etc the bench slid along the floor. That was the end of that. No lift

My first bomb out in competition and my sixth time in a bench shirt. I badly underperformed. Just two weeks ago I managed a 230kg press. I just don't know why I couldn't even squeeze out 210kg despite the conditions. This weight was well within me. Fuck it. It's motivation for next time. Four guys from our team went down. Three bombed out. Must be contagious! lol

I was going to squat and deadlift today, but I feel pooped and I have an assignment that needs doing. I will probably train tomorrow. Plan for tomorrow:

Squat: belt only up to 215kg x 1
Squat: belt and knee wraps (if they have arrived) up to possible 230kg x 1
Rack pulls from mid-lower shin: belt. 220kg plus bands
Leg press (as deadlift assistance): Never done these before, so will find a good weight for 5x2
Reverse hypers: 2 x 10
Hypers: 2 x 10
Twisting EZ bar deadlifts: Bar + 90kg 4x2 each side
Some abs

I am adding in the leg press as deadlift assistance because quite frankly my technique is bizarre and I really think these could be of benefit.

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
Very impressive + Props

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #194 on: September 21, 2009, 10:47:56 AM »
Very impressive + Props

Impressive bomb out?  :P  ;D Thanks man, hopefully I can perform next time I step on a platform!

Ursus

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
dude i got ur email ill be in touch soon - comp was broken.

unlucky man ull be grand next day

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #196 on: September 22, 2009, 02:15:11 PM »
Trained today. Knee wraps still to arrive, but I made do with an old pair. Took me ages getting on the leg press so I cut a few things out. Worked with 250kg on the leg press for 5x2. Feels very different as I haven't really done it before. I'm just going to keep progressing it and see how it transfers to the deadlift.

Everything felt quite good today, though maybe leaning forward a little too much on the squat. Rack pulls in particular felt strong.

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #197 on: September 28, 2009, 04:02:33 PM »
Took a few days off to catch up on some uni work. Started into the hospital today, so I am going to have to squeeze training in where I can now.

Tonight

Bench felt weak because of the break. Just some singles with 135kg then a few 4s with 117.5kg Really should have been 5s, but as I say, a bit rusty
Neutral grip chins BW 8x5
Some light shoulder press 5x5
Lying row, very light, paused at top and slow descent
Close grip bench
RC work
Grip work (Pinch and open hand)

Tomorrow legs if I'm not too tired and have time with studying etc. I think I will go for some full ROM deads instead of rack pulls this week, although a few quick sets of rack pulls may be squeezed in

burn2live

• Getbig IV
« Reply #198 on: September 29, 2009, 04:32:55 PM »
Today went a bit tits up and I didn't do what I planned.

Squats raw up to 217.5kg x 1
Wraps on 230kg 2 singles (I am really liking these Inzer Iron Wraps Z)
Deadlift up to 265kg x1 My legs were a bit pooped at this stage and my back had been acting up through the squats. I could feel it crunching every time I got out from under the bar and moved about. Basically by this stage I was too tired for deadlifting or much else so I just did the following and kept it mobile this evening.
Reverse Hypers 2x10
Hyperextensions 2x12

That was it. I was due to do some abs, but will do this at home in the form of some ab rollouts, side planks and transversus abdominis work.

The gym is packed at the moment because of all the new students in the uni. It's annoying as fuck. 99% of them will have cancelled their gym membership in 6 weeks. Training is extra tough now that I'm up early into the hospital and being on my feet all day and having to focus. I usually don't get to eat before the gym, just straight home, get changed then back out again. I'll just have to suck it up.

Training equipped again Saturday I think. Squats and bench most likely. I'd like to throw some hamstring work in, but it's all down to time

burn2live

• Getbig IV
Trained equipped yesterday. It went quite well, but was also kind of frustrating. I will explain in a second.

Bench 180kg 3x3 Only the first rep of the first set didn't touch. This is one of the things I was talking about when I said it was kind of frustrating. In the competition 3 weeks ago I could barely touch 210kg, then today I touch 180kg for reps and I even managed to touch 160kg prior to this! WTF? Basically I think the shirt was on differently, the marks on my arms showed the seams were running totally different to any way they had previously. Someone different put on the shirt yesterday, I'm definitely getting him to do it in future! lol

Squat up to 260kg x 1 Suit still quite loose. I'm worrying a bit about my back though. When I get up to about 250kg the site of my previous injury acts up and it feels like something there is getting crushed and it hurts like hell. I think I then lean forward slightly to decrease the compression on my back to relieve the pain and doing this will only get me into a whole world of trouble. I'm not sure what I should do

That was all I did yesterday, though my eyelids are purple today. lol