Author Topic: how do you fix this?! (squat form)  (Read 20824 times)

chess315

Re: how do you fix this?! (squat form)
« Reply #50 on: November 06, 2011, 09:31:48 PM »
Im 6'1 if your gonna squat and your lengthy you have to squat wide. Or not go all the way down i.e arnold. I have fucked with the squat and gave up fuck it I have squated 305 15 times that sucks, The squat beat me I wish i was dead lol legpress,hack squat, sissy squat best leg movements for tall people. Tall people that cant squat usually can deadlift good. Or trap bar deadlift for thighs and total body strength

Raymondo

• Getbig V
  • I broke Excel
« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2011, 05:18:31 AM »
thanks for the advice.  you seem to know where i'm coming from.

No problem. Let us know what they tell you, if you do decide to go medical.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #52 on: January 21, 2012, 02:59:01 AM »
i've been trying to squat with less of an arch in my back... i think i was overarching at the start before.  any knowledgeable trainers here think these look any better?

greatly appreciate any thoughts!

and i know... monster 65 lb children's barbell, epic webcam, "apparently he hasn't found the calf raise yet" etc.

Aussie Duffman

• Getbig III
« Reply #53 on: January 21, 2012, 03:33:26 AM »
you squat like arnold ,you need a mirror you get the arch in ya back then go straight down keeping eye contact
Herpes

_bruce_

• Getbig V
  • Sam Sesambröt Sulek
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2012, 04:08:00 AM »
Your middle back is not tight - round.
Other than that it looks good.

Chick

• The Pros
  • Getbig V
  • sometimes you get the elevator, somtimes the shaft
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2012, 09:47:59 AM »
First...a squat RACKwouldnt hurt...

a mirror to look at would help keep your head up, as you tend to look down, which brings your back into round

Slightly wider stance...

You need to carry the bar lower on your back...widening your grip will help with this...move your hands out farther

Depth is fine

che

• Getbig V
« Reply #57 on: January 21, 2012, 10:01:32 AM »

You need to carry the bar lower on your back...

This

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #58 on: January 21, 2012, 10:18:01 AM »
No, he doesn't actually.

It's flexibility issue IMO. I'm gonna consult my friend who knows a little bit more about biomechanics.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #59 on: January 21, 2012, 10:23:34 AM »
Allowing for the poor quality of the video its not clear how your feet are placed
Your movement suggests that you are tilting forward from the foot and that the centerline of gravity on the downward movement is forward of your body when you should be trying to keep it  broady  head hip foot  
perhaps your foot wear heal is too high
it mught be worth while asking someone in an every day situation to tell you how your posture is - Lots of people have a slight forward lean
you may also need to work on the splay angle of your feet or even the width (as you probably know a narrow stance causes a forward tilt)

c

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2012, 03:42:26 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone!  I get most of my knowledge from the book starting strength, from watching olympic lifters on youtube, reading various advices here and there, and thinking about the problem A LOT.  i believe i have the bar in the correct position for a high-bar or olympic style squat.  i've done plenty of low bar squats too, and i don't think they look any different (though I could be wrong, should get some videos).  anyway i don't see any reason why i shouldn't be able to do high bar squats, though if someone has one i'd like to hear it.

No, he doesn't actually.

It's flexibility issue IMO. I'm gonna consult my friend who knows a little bit more about biomechanics.

please do!

also @ B_B_C:

usually i have very poor posture, but I've spent a lot of time learning how the spine is supposed to look, and how it reacts to different "mental cues."  usually i believe my pelvis is rotated in the anterior direction.  i don't know why this is -- could be because of weak abdominal engagement, tight hip flexors, or perhaps a herniated disc?  whatever the case, in these videos, i try to correct this by rotating it back (you can even see it at the start of the third video, i think), and then i start the movement by imagining im rotating around my belly button, rather than my hips.  this seems to keep my lumbar spine locked in a more neutral "slightly arched" position, and out of the "over arched" position which it's normally in, due to the aforementioned pelvic tilt.

i think i might have slight kyphosis, or exaggeration of the thoracic curve, which is why it appears like my middle / upper back rounds in the squats.  people with normal spines can get their backs perfectly flat, and the back generally looks perfectly flat (from a side view) on a properly done high-bar squat, as far as i can tell.  well, i can never, even standing straight up, get my back as flat as most people, so it may be that there's nothing i can do?

however, i could be wrong about all this.  nonetheless i have a hard time believe it's a flexibility issue, for the simple reason that i am at least as flexibly (in the hips) as some of my friends who can squat just fine.  also, it's hard for me to stretch my muscles.  it seems like i can never actually get a stretch in the muscle belly, but rather just joint pain.

also @ chick

thanks for the advice.  i forgot about controlling my head movement (which does tend to be all over the place) on these videos.  however, i've done many experiments in the past looking at different places, and none of it really seems to help.  also i was just doing these for the sake of getting video, this isn't a real workout at a gym... hence no rack.

B_B_C

• Getbig IV
  • change is the lot of all
« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2012, 04:01:05 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone!  I get most of my knowledge from the book starting strength,

Starting strength is ok but I noticed in the squatting video as it progressed some of the participants seemed to round a bit as they went faster. I think that is specific to them. I find my form goes if  I lift low weight fast.
I have noticed that some tall thin fellows have a tendency to twist on the upward movement. If you treat the weight as a centrally single point load (excuse the Structural engineering gargon but it might help?) then any thing that throws the load out of centreline becomes a lever load. Im open to correction but many powerlifters take the bar further down and get their gluts and hibs to work hard - if you do you will feel the slight soreness in your lower back /buttocks (not the backbone) a few days after. You could consider yoga -not very gb i know but great to have a yoga teacher to tell you where your body is in space.
A good book to read is "body in action" Sarah Key of the use it or lose school - nothing to do with weighttraining but very good descriptions of joints and what goes wrong and some good if surprisingly difficult exercises. Its probably out of print but you could try ebay and if no luck get back to me as i pdfed it ages ago 

c

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2012, 08:52:41 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out!

Coach has been oddly silent in this thread... after I've supplied him with now TWO sets of videos  :'(

Coach is Back!

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • It’s All Bullshit
« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2012, 09:33:18 PM »
Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check it out!

Coach has been oddly silent in this thread... after I've supplied him with now TWO sets of videos  :'(

Sorry man, haven't really kept up much. Anyway looking at your OH squat video I would score it as a 4/5..thats good score. The last videos, to be honest I think is fine. I couldn't see where the bar was but as long as it isn't high on your cervical you're fine. Look, no one has the exact same structure and few have the exact same mechanics. Nothing wrong with your dorsi-flexion, you go deep enough (we keep at parallel or below) so as far as I can see no real issues with your hip structure and no pelvic anterior tilt that I saw. The only thing I can really see might be a slight lordosis. Keep toes straight, keep chest out and eyes up, heels down. As long as your not injured or have been injured with your mechanics I don't see a problem. I kind of disagree with Chicks assessment of using a mirror, I don't think you should simply because it gives a false sense of security and it's not always what it seems. One last thing. Slow your tempo on your decent is too fast, keep it at a 3-0-1 tempo.

cephissus

• Getbig V
« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2012, 11:01:39 PM »
Sorry man, haven't really kept up much. Anyway looking at your OH squat video I would score it as a 4/5..thats good score. The last videos, to be honest I think is fine. I couldn't see where the bar was but as long as it isn't high on your cervical you're fine. Look, no one has the exact same structure and few have the exact same mechanics. Nothing wrong with your dorsi-flexion, you go deep enough (we keep at parallel or below) so as far as I can see no real issues with your hip structure and no pelvic anterior tilt that I saw. The only thing I can really see might be a slight lordosis. Keep toes straight, keep chest out and eyes up, heels down. As long as your not injured or have been injured with your mechanics I don't see a problem. I kind of disagree with Chicks assessment of using a mirror, I don't think you should simply because it gives a false sense of security and it's not always what it seems. One last thing. Slow your tempo on your decent is too fast, keep it at a 3-0-1 tempo.

thank you so much!  i know we don't see eye to eye on a lot of things, but i REALLY appreciate your comments, considering your training expertise.  i consider this advice invaluable as i continue to deal with my training problems.

deceiver

• Getbig IV
  • onetimehard appreciation team
« Reply #65 on: January 23, 2012, 12:20:52 PM »
 - slower your negative
 - your bar positioning is fine. don't change it. learn to squat properly with high bar, it's best.
 - front squats, shitloads of frontsquats
 - your feet positioning sucks, work on that. experiment. generally speaking, your stance is too wide.
 - look up when doing squat. find a point somewhere on the wall and observe it all the time.
 - hold your breathe, release it when going up

Hulkotron

• Getbig V
  • I read at least a dozen primary sources a day
« Reply #66 on: January 23, 2012, 12:28:24 PM »
Have you tried calling the Muscle Phone?

Man of Steel

• Getbig V
  • Isaiah40:28-31 ✝ Romans10:9 ✝ 1Peter3:15
« Reply #67 on: January 23, 2012, 12:28:58 PM »

i lose the arch in my back near the bottom of the squat.  i think this is why i've always sucked at squats and maybe even why i keep getting injured?  does anyone REALLY know how to fix this?  any time i see people talking about this on various boards they say "oh you just need to stretch hamstrings / calves / glutes / etc." but never anything specific.  can this really be fixed by stretching?  if so, how, exactly?  i've also heard people say that the squat is supposed to stretch you out, so it will correct itself in time.  well, this hasn't been the case for me.  i don't feel a stretch.

if anyone really has SPECIFIC advice about how to fix this, i would be incredibly grateful!

Have you tried the ole PL trick of placing a live gerbil inbetween the cheeks of your buttocks before heavy squatting sessions?