Author Topic: buying protein powder for first time  (Read 7810 times)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
  • 1687 confirmed kills and counting
Re: buying protein powder for first time
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2006, 08:24:56 AM »
It is a good idea. I don't buy dextrose, I usually mix protein with low fat milk, cause it is also rich in carbohydrates.

Interesting.  I had never considered whether the carbs in milk would be effective for post workout purposes.  After doing a search I found the following article which claims milk is NOT effective as a pwo source of carbs:

"As for lactose ("milk sugar"), its glycemic rating is moderate, higher than fructose but lower than sucrose. It is also a disaccharide constituting of one molecule of galactose and one of glucose. So it is half galactose. And again, galactose can be used by the body to restore liver glycogen but not muscle glycogen. So again, in small amounts it might be okay, but it should not be the primary carb. What this means is that milk would not be a good source of carbs post-workout."

http://www.fitnessforoneandall.com/powerlifting/article/diet/post-workout/part_one.htm

By the way, do you have info to the contrary?  I would be interested in your thoughts or others' thoughts on this subject.  Currently, I'm using dextrose for pwo purposes.

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2006, 08:47:57 AM »
By the way, I just finished reading the article that I quoted in the prior post which is titled "Post-Workout Drink Part One: Carbs, Protein, and Fat" by Gary F. Zeolla.  Highly recommended well thought out, scientific and practical look at the subject including the author's detailed observations as he experimented. 

Zeolla concludes that maltodextrin, not dextrose or a combination is the best pwo carb source and recommends "a mixture of hydrolyzed whey, whey isolate, and whey concentrate" for the pwo protein source and explains why.

http://www.fitnessforoneandall.com/powerlifting/article/diet/post-workout/part_one.htm

rccs

• Getbig IV
  • Alma Matter!
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2006, 10:00:28 AM »

Interesting.  I had never considered whether the carbs in milk would be effective for post workout purposes.  After doing a search I found the following article which claims milk is NOT effective as a pwo source of carbs:

"As for lactose ("milk sugar"), its glycemic rating is moderate, higher than fructose but lower than sucrose. It is also a disaccharide constituting of one molecule of galactose and one of glucose. So it is half galactose. And again, galactose can be used by the body to restore liver glycogen but not muscle glycogen. So again, in small amounts it might be okay, but it should not be the primary carb. What this means is that milk would not be a good source of carbs post-workout."

By the way, do you have info to the contrary?  I would be interested in your thoughts or others' thoughts on this subject.  Currently, I'm using dextrose for pwo purposes.
Well... I remember reading something like you wrote in your post anda I remember something about it.
My choiche for milk has several reasons:
1. As you well know our body needs fat to promote test production. Low fat milk has enogh fat to enhance such process without storing fat.
2. Milk has enough hydrates to mantain your protein synthesis balance during the "anabolic" window created by workout, which allows insulin to directly discharge aminos into your bloodstream and feed the cells.
3. It is rich in B vitamines, especially b6 that is fundamental to protein synthesis.
4. Let us not forget calcium, the primary DNA formation promoter.
5. it very good for 90 minutes. After that you must eat more hydrates in order to support the sinthesis of the 50g that you took after workout. Your body refuels it self in a "5% every to hours" (hydrates of course).
6. Eat the 2 meal after workout (100g rice 100g chicken breast) with some fruit (citric preferably) and before going to bed another shake with milk with protein. By this time it will be absorved slower so it is the perfect last meal for the day.
Hope this helps.
S

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2006, 10:11:51 AM »
Well... I remember reading something like you wrote in your post anda I remember something about it.
My choiche for milk has several reasons:
1. As you well know our body needs fat to promote test production. Low fat milk has enogh fat to enhance such process without storing fat.
2. Milk has enough hydrates to mantain your protein synthesis balance during the "anabolic" window created by workout, which allows insulin to directly discharge aminos into your bloodstream and feed the cells.
3. It is rich in B vitamines, especially b6 that is fundamental to protein synthesis.
4. Let us not forget calcium, the primary DNA formation promoter.
5. it very good for 90 minutes. After that you must eat more hydrates in order to support the sinthesis of the 50g that you took after workout. Your body refuels it self in a "5% every to hours" (hydrates of course).
6. Eat the 2 meal after workout (100g rice 100g chicken breast) with some fruit (citric preferably) and before going to bed another shake with milk with protein. By this time it will be absorved slower so it is the perfect last meal for the day.
Hope this helps.

Interesting "food for thought."  Thanks.

IronBrendan

• Getbig II
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2006, 06:39:28 PM »
Hit up www.trueprotein.com  True Protein has the best products I have tried, their prices are low, and unlike the vast majority of supplement companies, they are completely honest with their customers...

Whatever you do, don't spend a cent on muscletech products.

I second this. Also, use Discount Code: BTR777 for 5% off.

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2006, 06:42:02 PM »
I second this. Also, use Discount Code: BTR777 for 5% off.

Haha I see you are advertising your discount code... Why are you anonymous? Show thyself!

I am also just trying out waxy maize. (I got a free pound of the stuff!) All the side effects that people were warning about aren't there, and I guess I will have to wait a while longer to see the exact benefits.

anvilsname

• Getbig I
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2006, 07:15:11 PM »
I use Prolab N-Large II as a post-workout shake.

I've heard it has too much sugar though to use more than that though.

What are peoples thoughts on this protein powder?

on one

• Getbig II
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2006, 10:10:47 PM »
hey you guys want to throw up some sites you like to use for supplements with good products but with a good price cause im not sure which sites are legit and some have helllof good deals thanks!

theoperator

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2006, 05:57:20 PM »
So today was my first time drinking the new protein i got...the ON 100% whey gold standard one...
i was surprised at how good it tasted, not like a protein supplement but like a smoothie...i put 12 ounces of that Dole 100% Juice if u know what that is it has pinaple, banana and orange in it and one scoop of protein powder and blended it. Seriously if they sold it at juice and java as a smoothie i would buy it just for the taste. As for results...ill see how it goes but i love the taste of it.

hey you guys want to throw up some sites you like to use for supplements with good products but with a good price cause im not sure which sites are legit and some have helllof good deals thanks!
check out www.bodybuilding.com they are way cheaper than GNC. there might be cheaper sites out there though.

I use Prolab N-Large II as a post-workout shake.

I've heard it has too much sugar though to use more than that though.

What are peoples thoughts on this protein powder?
do u like the taste of it?? what flavor did u get?  i once had a sample of it (oatmeal flavored) and i hated the taste of it...and it did not mix too well without a blender.

anvilsname

• Getbig I
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2006, 08:08:18 PM »
do u like the taste of it?? what flavor did u get?  i once had a sample of it (oatmeal flavored) and i hated the taste of it...and it did not mix too well without a blender.

Chocolate.

I love it.

I use one of those shaker cups and it works well.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/shaker.html

I just wish the shaker cups were a bit bigger, occasionally some powder does get stuck at the top and I have to bang the cup to get it down.

Count Grishnackh

• Getbig III
  • The easiest person to deceive is one's own self
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2006, 10:50:47 PM »
Hit up www.trueprotein.com   they are completely honest with their customers...

how do you know this? have you ever tested their products? a lab analysis on one batch doesn't say anything for the 100's of other batches.

You do realize they are in business to make a profit off of you and make money like anyone else right? Why makes you think they would be in the business to make less money (profit) than anyone else.

whitewidow

« Reply #36 on: November 17, 2006, 11:22:09 PM »
I like muscle milk RTD's. and I also like cytosports muscle milk powder form. I also enjoy me some ON whey from time to time.

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2006, 07:13:44 AM »
I like muscle milk RTD's. and I also like cytosports muscle milk powder form. I also enjoy me some ON whey from time to time.

Muscle Milk tastes like candy but the price just aint right. Not only that but the fat content is a bit high. I used it PW and for that I loved it!

columbusdude82

• Getbig V
  • I'm too sexy for my shirt!!!
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2006, 08:51:26 AM »
how do you know this? have you ever tested their products? a lab analysis on one batch doesn't say anything for the 100's of other batches.

You do realize they are in business to make a profit off of you and make money like anyone else right? Why makes you think they would be in the business to make less money (profit) than anyone else.

Of course they are a business, not a charity... but find me one instance where true protein lied or used "misleading" advertising.. now find me one muscletech ad that does NOT contain any lies...

musclebutt

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2006, 05:33:09 PM »
ON whey gold, chocolate flavored is my favorite by far

Childish///AMG

• Getbig IV
« Reply #40 on: November 20, 2006, 09:07:16 AM »
Great post! Also very true! Don't even consider spending a single cent on M.T. Inc products. Be smarter that that.

Trueprotein.com or my 2 favorite companies are Beverly International or Pride Nutrition.
Beverly International is a good company but a bit above my "Budget" I usually purchase Opt's Cookies & Cream and ocassionaly Muscle Milk. Straight outta "K-Town" 8)

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2006, 04:09:36 PM »
what ones have u had good experiences with?

I use Optimum’s Pro-Complex as my primary mix.

It’s got several forms of glutamine
13+ grams of BCAA’s
Aminogen & Lactase, which are enzymes to help your body more efficiently break down, digest and effectively utilize the aminos in the proteins you eat.
The protein blend consists of 4 different whey’s plus egg albumen.
260 cal.
2 g fat
3 g carbs
Made with Splenda.

The whey and amino acids make it a great post w.o. drink. You can always add some honey or other simple carbs if you wish. I still shoot to get a good, solid meal in me within an hour after training, though.
The egg alb. is a bit slower on the absorption side and makes it a great bedtime or “between meals” drink.
You can also throw in ½ cup of oats to slow the absorption even more.

It mixes easily for me in a shaker bottle with water or milk.
Doesn’t bother my gut.
Least important (but still a plus) is it tastes pretty good, too.

It’s a bit more pricey than the cheap stuff, but you DO get a lot for your money.
Shop around, and you can usually find a pretty good deal.
And the $$ isn’t nearly as horrific as the products from another well known company
(I won’t name names, but let’s just say it rhymes with HUSTLE-TECH).

Anyway, realize that you're not drinking chocolate flavored steroids, but if the rest of your diet and everything else is good, I believe you’ll see some favorable results.

Hope that helps some.
If you try it, let me know what you think.

Monty

Count Grishnackh

• Getbig III
  • The easiest person to deceive is one's own self
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2006, 08:44:38 PM »
Of course they are a business, not a charity... but find me one instance where true protein lied or used "misleading" advertising.. now find me one muscletech ad that does NOT contain any lies...

I didn't say they were lying or misleading. I just said, unless you randomly test batches on a consistent basis, you never know what is in the package. Even if it is a wholesaler like True Protein.

Muscle Tech products actually tested up to label claims last I heard. Good enough for me, even though I do not nor ever have used any of their products. At least you're getting what's on the label. If a consumer isn't smart enough to buy a product by what's in it and buys instead based upon what the advertising says it can do, that's their problem, they need to educate themselves.

True Proteins prices are competitive, but nothing special. Every batch of Labrada's products get tested. I'd rather buy his ProV-60 than get stuff in a food service bag, that isn't tested.

Rhino

• Getbig IV
  • Jesus Christ is lord and savior
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2006, 10:21:59 AM »
Just stick with the whole foods (imo) and you'll do fine. All those MRP's and Whey's are just garbage. It's all marketing and they don't work.

If you really want a powder, use skim milk powder. I swear by it! Mix it with oats and cinnemon, use your imagination - whatever - you'll be surprised how much better whole foods are.
X

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2006, 07:57:00 AM »
Just stick with the whole foods (imo) and you'll do fine. All those MRP's and Whey's are just garbage. It's all marketing and they don't work.

If you really want a powder, use skim milk powder. I swear by it! Mix it with oats and cinnemon, use your imagination - whatever - you'll be surprised how much better whole foods are.

So whey protein doesn't work . . .  Is there a study perhaps that you'd like to point us to?

jmt1

• Getbig IV
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2006, 08:08:00 AM »

lol...ok thanks for the info...tossing out all my protein powders right now... ::)

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2006, 09:00:43 AM »
lol...ok thanks for the info...tossing out all my protein powders right now... ::)

Ditto.  Let's give thanks to the "Flat Earth Society" for their contribution to this board.

Rhino

• Getbig IV
  • Jesus Christ is lord and savior
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2006, 11:12:02 AM »
I don't care about what a study by a protein powder company says. I'll stick with my "whole foods."

The "whole foods" movement is growing, and you can't stop it. Nobody can!
X

MidniteRambo

• Getbig IV
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2006, 03:27:06 PM »
So let's see, "Whole Foods" means according to your prior posts consuming vitamins, mineral tablets, tribulus and even  . . . [gasp] whey protein powder!  Long live the Whole Foods Revolution . . .

"If you can get it at a grocery store, it's considered natural. Whey, creatine, tribulus, psudoephedrine, vit. and minerals can all be bought at my local Ind. grocer. Oh, yeah, caffeine pills and green tea are readilly available too. "  See Rhino's Post # 36  Getbig Main Discussion Boards / Gossip & Opinions / Re: Define natural bodybuilder. on: August 18, 2006, 10:39:46 AM

"I find it's cheaper just to buy a protein powder with glutamine."
See Rgino's Post # 52 Getbig Main Discussion Boards / Nutrition, Products & Supplements / Re: glutamine...more than just muscle recovery on: August 05, 2006, 02:06:11 AM

"I'm willing to bet that if you take in protein powder before bed you'll be covered." See Rhino's Post # 61 Getbig Main Discussion Boards / Nutrition, Products & Supplements / Re: glutamine...more than just muscle recovery on: August 04, 2006, 11:04:19 AM

"I take 3, 500mg Now Tribulus along with 3 saw pallmeto pills every morning before I hit the gym."  See Rhino's post # 71 Getbig Main Discussion Boards / Steroids Info & Hardcore / tribulus??

"I take regular zinc tabs first thing in the morning on an empty stomach before eating . . . " See Rhino's post # 89 Getbig Main Discussion Boards / Nutrition, Products & Supplements / Re: ZMA is amazing!!!!,,Has this happened to you also? on: July 02, 2006, 01:38:29 AM

"I've always been happy with my reg. vitamins."  See Rhino's post # 35 Getbig Main Discussion Boards / Nutrition, Products & Supplements / Re: WHAT VITAMINS DO YOU TAKE OR NEED? on: August 18, 2006, 11:06:56 AM

Stubborn

• Competitors II
  • Getbig IV
  • Who wants a mustache ride?
« Reply #49 on: November 27, 2006, 06:06:25 PM »
They discontinued my protein at Costco! >:(

Back to Optimum 100% Whey! :D