Author Topic: Bodybuilding and Death.  (Read 1624 times)

Matt C

• Getbig V
  • The White Vince Goodrum
Bodybuilding and Death.
« on: June 17, 2007, 11:39:04 AM »
http://forum.bodybuildingpro.com/showthread.php?t=4233

Threads on this topic pop up every now and then but I think they are important for the bodybuilding community, that is, if they choose to listen...

Mike Matarazzo continued to compete despite high cholesterol.  He also ended up in the hospital after the 1993 Arnold Classic due to diuretics.

Kris Dim continued to compete despite high blood pressure.

Tom Prince and Flex Wheeler continued to compete despite kidney failure.

Don Youngblood continued to compete despite angioplasti, diabetes, and a sleep apnea.

Anthony D'Arezzo continued to compete despite a 3X enlarged heart and passing out in his backyard three weeks before he passed away in his hotel room.

Bob, Mustafa, Paul Dillet, and numerous others continued to compete despite close calls and hospital visits.

Competitive bodybuilding stopped being healthy in the fifties or sixties.  Although steroid use the way they used up until around the eighties was probably not too unhealthy, maybe even neutral.  Then again, I wonder about Eduardo Kawak...did 20+ years of cycling contribute to his death?

Like I said, this topic comes up a lot but it is a very important one to...

...discuss.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
Re: Bodybuilding and Death.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 11:41:55 AM »
breaking news... we all die.  most folks eat cheese burgers and fries every day.  is that better or worse than steroids?  and yes, people do die in their 30s and 40s and 50s every day.  some are bodybuilders.  it's their life, and every grownup knows the risks.  so why spend your time worrying about the lifespans of others if they dont care to do it?
Nasser called Palumbo an acromegalion

HalloweenMan

• Getbig III
  • Team What The Fuck?!?!?!
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 11:43:07 AM »
dudes are well aware of what they are getting into and if they arent then they are retarded.  also, it is their own body and they are free to do what they like with it and hey, if it wasnt for diuretics, we wouldnt have those funny dillet pictures to post all the time.   ;D
F

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 11:46:10 AM »
breaking news... we all die.  most folks eat cheese burgers and fries every day.  is that better or worse than steroids?  and yes, people do die in their 30s and 40s and 50s every day.  some are bodybuilders.  it's their life, and every grownup knows the risks.  so why spend your time worrying about the lifespans of others if they dont care to do it?

I would say a sedentary lifestyle is worse than a juiced up pro bodybuilding lifestyle.  I also think there is one in between the two which is better still.  I think the only way I could be healthier than I am now is if I were to do cardio and become a vegetarian.  But I'm not willing to do that.  It's a choice we all get to make as adults.

Canada's socialized health system = incentive to abuse your health.

It seems that overall it is a healthy nation though.

I think competing professional in bodybuilding is one thing, but I also think bodybuilders should read the writing on the wall if it's there.  Why compete if your good cholesterol is 0?  That's playing with fire in my opinion.

Radical conservatives think that even touching a drug will kill you.  ::)  Epic not knowing we simply all die eventually and monster trying to have control over your fate by thinking if you don't do drugs you won't die.  Tell that to the many young and seemingly healthy people who have died.
Bodybuilding Pro.com

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 11:48:07 AM »
hey, if it wasnt for diuretics, we wouldnt have those funny dillet pictures to post all the time.   ;D

you are correct.  Diuretics are as funny as they are useful. 

Alex23

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2007, 11:48:33 AM »
Way to darken a nice Sunday morning man...

60-70s --> didn't know WTF they were doing, paid the consequence later (arnold, Padilla, Corney etc... my favorite idiot: Michalik)
80s --> Got a little better but rec drug was a little out of control (Mike Christian & co) year around cycles were common.
90s --> Chemical outbusrt and abuse, especially with the show prep drugs... the "bet it all" attitude..

I think nowadays there is a little bit more consciousness and more awareness following all the errors done in the 90's.

Livewire

• Getbig IV
  • I call Nasser.
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2007, 11:52:49 AM »
(arnold, Padilla, Corney etc... my favorite idiot: Michalik)

hey, what did those guy's have wrong with them?

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2007, 11:54:40 AM »
Here's one of those 90's lessons:

Alex23

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2007, 11:55:34 AM »
Maybe something to make you feel a little better MattC ;D

http://www.dailymotion.com/related/2491419/video/xkvz7_steroids/1

Figo

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2007, 11:57:51 AM »
hey, what did those guy's have wrong with them?

Arnold, Corney and Michalik had cardiac probs. Danny P. dont know.

Alex23

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2007, 12:01:32 PM »
Arnold, Corney and Michalik had cardiac probs. Danny P. dont know.

Heart problem as well.

Actually Michalik had problem way before that but he's an hypocrit idiot. Used to take pounds of vitamins and minerals; surprise surprise, ended up with liver problems.

I'm not a cardiologist but I've read before that heavy anaerobic exercise could be a cause for eventual heart problem as well.

Matt C

• Getbig V
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2007, 12:02:42 PM »
Alex23 is Back is one of the biggest dudes on the board.  Sick most muscular!!
Bodybuilding Pro.com

musclehedz

• Getbig IV
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2007, 12:02:49 PM »
All about genetics, we have tons of bodybuilders that are on the shit for years, and they don't have any problems.

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2007, 12:53:07 PM »
breaking news... we all die.  most folks eat cheese burgers and fries every day.  is that better or worse than steroids?  and yes, people do die in their 30s and 40s and 50s every day.  some are bodybuilders.  it's their life, and every grownup knows the risks.  so why spend your time worrying about the lifespans of others if they dont care to do it?
speak for yourself ;) ;D

bench

Camel Jockey

• Getbig V
  • Mel Gibson and Bob Sly World Domination
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2007, 12:54:25 PM »
You mean competitive bodybuilding and death..

I consider myself a bodybuilder and I'm pretty healthy!

Prof Moriarty

• Getbig II
  • The greatest evil genius of them all
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2007, 01:07:08 PM »
http://forum.bodybuildingpro.com/showthread.php?t=4233

Threads on this topic pop up every now and then but I think they are important for the bodybuilding community, that is, if they choose to listen...

Mike Matarazzo continued to compete despite high cholesterol.  He also ended up in the hospital after the 1993 Arnold Classic due to diuretics.

Kris Dim continued to compete despite high blood pressure.

Tom Prince and Flex Wheeler continued to compete despite kidney failure.

Don Youngblood continued to compete despite angioplasti, diabetes, and a sleep apnea.

Anthony D'Arezzo continued to compete despite a 3X enlarged heart and passing out in his backyard three weeks before he passed away in his hotel room.

Bob, Mustafa, Paul Dillet, and numerous others continued to compete despite close calls and hospital visits.

Competitive bodybuilding stopped being healthy in the fifties or sixties.  Although steroid use the way they used up until around the eighties was probably not too unhealthy, maybe even neutral.  Then again, I wonder about Eduardo Kawak...did 20+ years of cycling contribute to his death?

Like I said, this topic comes up a lot but it is a very important one to...

...discuss.

No offense man, but the fact you know the intimate details about the health problems of all these pros seems a little obsessive to me.  We all die.  We also all do things that may usher that death along, like smoke, overly abuse recreational drugs and anabolic steroids, etc.  That's really all there is to it.

The Master

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2007, 01:08:18 PM »
No offense man, but the fact you know the intimate details about the health problems of all these pros seems a little obsessive to me.  We all die.  We also all do things that may usher that death along, like smoke, overly abuse recreational drugs and anabolic steroids, etc.  That's really all there is to it.

Being obsessive (to a certain degree) and having a good memory is a good thing. MattC > Prof Moriarty