Author Topic: home cardio, for those days you just cant get to the gym  (Read 1218 times)

Littleman

• Getbig I
home cardio, for those days you just cant get to the gym
« on: October 24, 2007, 06:52:31 PM »
there are some weeks where I just cant get to the gym 4+ times. So I was thinking of getting an elliptical for home to work on cardio on days where I cant get to the gym.

Though it was suggested to me to get a rowing machine instead. while another friend says get a recumbant bike.

Any Suggestions on what would be the best bet???

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
Re: home cardio, for those days you just cant get to the gym
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2007, 06:58:24 PM »
I don't use any of them for cardio myself, but if I were to pick a machine to use the cost would matter, then I'd pick the one that suits me the best and which I'm most likely to actually use... say you go to a well equipped gym and there's all kinds of machines you still probably would end up with the same machine most of the time because you prefer it for some reason... so I imagine the same would go for at home... try them out first before you buy.

Other reasons could be that on a bike if it gets boring you could watch TV or something while doing it... might be harder with a rowing machine perhaps.
Z

Princess L

• Getbig V
  • I stop for turtles
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2007, 07:13:12 PM »
A recumbent is going to be the least expensive (couple hundred) and also the least effective.  If you have an outdoor bike, you could get one of those indoor trainers like this

Ellipticals are great, but you're going to spend bookoo bucks on a good one.
:

Rimbaud

• Getbig V
  • There can be only one.
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 07:20:40 PM »
If it were me I'd get an elliptical machine. Probably my favorite piece of cardio equipment.

Frauhorn

• Getbig II
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2007, 04:47:46 AM »
there are some weeks where I just cant get to the gym 4+ times. So I was thinking of getting an elliptical for home to work on cardio on days where I cant get to the gym.

Though it was suggested to me to get a rowing machine instead. while another friend says get a recumbant bike.

Any Suggestions on what would be the best bet???

ellipticals and bikes are good. but if you are thinking about a rowing machine, there is things that can make your workouts a lot more interesting.
on the concept2 website you can create a profile and log in all the training sessions you do. you can do timed races and get ranked against other users around the world.
makes doing cardio more interesting when you are trying to beat your own pr's and also get higher in world rankings!
http://www.concept2.com/sranking03/log.asp

John O

• Getbig III
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2007, 05:05:02 PM »
I have a motorized treadmill I use. I built a little stand in the wall and put a tv /vcr in front to watch what I want. Works great for me. I usely use a tape I made up watching Fit TV and run while watching the ladys doing there workout from the show "Caribbean Workout"... Passes the time nicely   ;)
Masters- 50-54
148#

nuyork143

• Getbig III
  • Ill get inside your face...
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2007, 08:09:56 PM »
If it were me I'd get an elliptical machine. Probably my favorite piece of cardio equipment.

Ditto!
Listen here SMALL BALLS!!

AZbodybuilder

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2007, 09:46:15 PM »
I like to ride my girlfriend for home cardio !

windsor88

• Getbig IV
  • Victim of the Drug War
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2007, 10:05:05 PM »
I bought this a couple weeks ago and it has really impressed me.  Very sturdy.  Very challenging.  I sweat my balls off...lol.
  Price is reasonable IMO.

http://www.sportsauthority.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2874018

powerpack

• Getbig IV
  • Time to get Buck wild!
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2007, 12:13:25 AM »
If the weather is good I go for a brisk walk, or I ride a stationary bike while watching music DVDs in my lounge.

nuyork143

• Getbig III
  • Ill get inside your face...
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2007, 09:51:48 AM »
I like to ride my girlfriend for home cardio !

I like to ride your girlfriend too....jk ;D
Listen here SMALL BALLS!!