Author Topic: F'ING CLUELESS - Obama's India Trip to cost $____ Millions a day.  (Read 31418 times)

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: F'ING CLUELESS - Obama's India Trip to cost $200 Million a day.
« Reply #125 on: November 05, 2010, 01:32:44 PM »
admit your wrong your making yourself look like a fool ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
  • Complete website for only $300- www.300website.com
« Reply #126 on: November 05, 2010, 01:33:48 PM »
So, if its not $200 MIllion, which i agree is way overboard, the actual cost is at least $50 Million a day at least, which is also almost criminal.    

You had zero basis for the 200 mil number, and you have zero basis for this new 50 mil figure you've settled on.

LMAO.

You're just pulling numbers out of thin air now, saying "I bet it's 200, i'm pissed.  Even if its 100, I'm pissed.  Even at 50, I am pissed."

Until we know the cost and exactly what is involved, what's the complaint?  Aside from that, he's the most powerful man in the world, fighting a global effort to unite $ and kill the buck... I think he needs a little more than a rowboat when his entire security team is on water and air, without the logistical support (and ability to hide) of local land-based resources.  

You know how many nutjobs with a boat full of C4 would love to crash his party?  So he has a lot of ships to protect him - Yes, that's a damn good idea.  If mccain was doing it, I'd want him to have the same protections.  You forget in the city, the POTUS is invisible until a single arrival, and he can leave from any number of exits.  In this case, you essentially have the most powerful man in the planet exposed to any number of unkonwn enemies on open water.  No cameras, no nothing.  

And, youre discounting the possibility he's only using 10% of that force, but they're making big claims to deter nutjobs from trying anything.  ;)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • Doesnt lie about lifting.
« Reply #127 on: November 05, 2010, 01:33:56 PM »
admit your wrong your making yourself look like a fool ;D

I said the number is off, but its still an atrocious amount of $$$$.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #128 on: November 05, 2010, 01:35:05 PM »
You had zero basis for the 200 mil number, and you have zero basis for this new 50 mil figure you've settled on.

LMAO.

You're just pulling numbers out of thin air now, saying "I bet it's 200, i'm pissed.  Even if its 100, I'm pissed.  Even at 50, I am pissed."

Until we know the cost and exactly what is involved, what's the complaint?  Aside from that, he's the most powerful man in the world, fighting a global effort to unite $ and kill the buck... I think he needs a little more than a rowboat when his entire security team is on water and air, without the logistical support (and ability to hide) of local land-based resources.  

You know how many nutjobs with a boat full of C4 would love to crash his party?  So he has a lot of ships to protect him - Yes, that's a damn good idea.  If mccain was doing it, I'd want him to have the same protections.  You forget in the city, the POTUS is invisible until a single arrival, and he can leave from any number of exits.  In this case, you essentially have the most powerful man in the planet exposed to any number of unkonwn enemies on open water.  No cameras, no nothing.  

And, youre discounting the possibility he's only using 10% of that force, but they're making big claims to deter nutjobs from trying anything.  ;)

He should not be going in the first place. 

Second - did you read any of my posts trying to break down some of the costs? 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #129 on: November 05, 2010, 01:35:12 PM »

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #130 on: November 05, 2010, 01:39:01 PM »
He should not be going in the first place. 

Second - did you read any of my posts trying to break down some of the costs? 

to be clear - is this the first time we'd complained about the POTUS security cost?  When Dubya went to the olympics to get drunk and slap asses with volleyball - how many threads were there on it?

world leaders want a single currency.  Obama stands in their way.  Not to mention a million other reasons they hate the USA.  Shit yes, I want his ass to have 50 warships when traveling.  Same with Thune when he wins in 2012.  Same with Bayh in 2020 when his ass wins (or whoever).

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2010, 01:40:22 PM »
to be clear - is this the first time we'd complained about the POTUS security cost?  When Dubya went to the olympics to get drunk and slap asses with volleyball - how many threads were there on it?

world leaders want a single currency.  Obama stands in their way.  Not to mention a million other reasons they hate the USA.  Shit yes, I want his ass to have 50 warships when traveling.  Same with Thune when he wins in 2012.  Same with Bayh in 2020 when his ass wins (or whoever).

You forgot the

"this is spin" 

at the end of your post.   ;D

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2010, 01:45:08 PM »
hey, when i put the disclaimer, nobody argues LMAO...

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2010, 01:45:46 PM »
hey, when i put the disclaimer, nobody argues LMAO...

;D  ;D  ;D

240 - what do you guess the cost of all this is? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #134 on: November 05, 2010, 01:47:41 PM »
;D  ;D  ;D

240 - what do you guess the cost of all this is? 

We'll never see the real security measures used for, oh, 100% of the President's visits to any place.  So without that data, you'll never know the real costs. 

Unless you want your friend at WIKIleaks publishing the details of the POTUS secret service so Al-Q can read it?  ;)

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #135 on: November 05, 2010, 01:50:24 PM »
We'll never see the real security measures used for, oh, 100% of the President's visits to any place.  So without that data, you'll never know the real costs. 

Unless you want your friend at WIKIleaks publishing the details of the POTUS secret service so Al-Q can read it?  ;)

Give me a guestimate of range - i looked up airline tix, rooms in the hotel, etc and came up with a figure - what about you? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #136 on: November 05, 2010, 01:53:45 PM »
it woudl be absolutely silly to think a foreign leader wouldn't be able to acquire a block of a hotel without paying the per-room rate. 

Same with every other detail.

It would be silly to think we know anything about how many ppl are used in what capacity.  Hell, obama might fly quietly while that whole target rich environment scoots around.

Unless you personally complained that Bush used tax dollars to drink, stumble, then giggle and slap the ass of female volleyball players - you don't have much room to complain of the price tag of POTUS doing actual business.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #137 on: November 05, 2010, 01:57:58 PM »
it woudl be absolutely silly to think a foreign leader wouldn't be able to acquire a block of a hotel without paying the per-room rate. 

Same with every other detail.

It would be silly to think we know anything about how many ppl are used in what capacity.  Hell, obama might fly quietly while that whole target rich environment scoots around.

Unless you personally complained that Bush used tax dollars to drink, stumble, then giggle and slap the ass of female volleyball players - you don't have much room to complain of the price tag of POTUS doing actual business.

Best i can remember - we were not in a fiscal crisis at that time.  either way - did Bush take 3000 people with him to the volleyball court? 

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #138 on: November 05, 2010, 02:11:23 PM »
Best i can remember - we were not in a fiscal crisis at that time.  

Aug 24, 2008, we were not in a financial crisis?

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, the floor didn't fall out for another 3 weeks... LMAO... but we were bailing out companies and industries left and right.  

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #139 on: November 05, 2010, 05:14:57 PM »
The articles I posted.   plus, when they asked the WH about this, they only disputed the 34 Warship claim, nothing else. 

Sorry for changing the topic a little bit.

But do you, in hindsight, see the X million dollars/day (I don't have a true figure, and I won't make one up) spent on the wars in Iraq and in Afghanistan as a waste?

I know you initially supported the Iraq invasion and the military occupation of the area. Just wondering if you think the money spent invading Iraq was worth it?
As empty as paradise

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #140 on: November 05, 2010, 08:39:59 PM »
The $200m a day Obama roadshow: President heads to India...with a mini-America in tow
The London Daily Mail ^ | November 6, 2010 | Michael Hanlon

Posted on Friday, November 05, 2010 11:13:57 PM by 2ndDivisionVet

Probably not since the days of the Pharaohs or the more ludicrous Roman Emperors has a head of state travelled in such pomp and expensive grandeur as the President of the United States of America.

While lesser mortals – the Pope, Queen Elizabeth and so on – are usually happy to let their hosts handle most of the security and transport arrangements when they venture beyond their home shores, the United States creates a mini-America on the move to ensure that nothing is left to chance.

Today, Barack Obama arrives in India at the start of a ten-day tour of Asia. At the heart of the White House caravan is ‘The Beast’, a gigantic, ‘pimped-up’ General Motors Cadillac which security experts say is, short of an actual battle tank, probably the safest road vehicle on the planet.

But an outlandish car is only the start. Mr Obama will fly, of course, on Air Force One, the presidential private jumbo jet, which, boasting double beds and suites, is fitted out more like a luxury yacht. Some reports suggest it costs around $50,000 (Ł31,000) an hour to operate.

Of course threats can come from any direction, so a squadron of U.S. naval ships will patrol offshore. Some reports have claimed that 34 ships, including two aircraft carriers, will be involved (not far off the size of the Royal Navy’s entire Surface Fleet) but the White House has denied this.

On land, as well as The Beast, Mr Obama’s entourage will travel in a fleet of 45 U.S.-built armoured limousines, half of which will be decoys. He will also travel with 30 elite sniffer dogs, mostly German Shepherds.

The White House has, according to some reports, booked the entire Taj Mahal Palace Hotel in Mumbai, the city’s most luxurious....

(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #141 on: November 05, 2010, 08:48:12 PM »
at DBKP Report
100 Most Popular Conservative Websites: The Conservative 100
http://deathby1000papercuts.com/2010/11/obama-india-trip-economic-profiting-by-obamas-adviser-ge-ceo-jeff-immelt/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Obama India Trip: Economic Profiting by Obama’s Adviser GE CEO Jeff Immelt
November 5, 2010
By LBG1

Pentagon debunks India press report of 34 warships guarding Obama

GE CEO and Obama adviser Jeff Immelt – GE, outsourcing jobs to India

We’d like to thank the news agencies in India for their erroneous reports because without the $200 million per day claim and the ’34 warships’, the questions about the Obama trip to India cost would never have been raised by a curiously lackadaisical MSM. If we hadn’t cited the India news reports the White House wouldn’t have been asked by the MSM if the reports were true. Today the spokesman for the Pentagon debunked the 34 warships claim. Obama Press Secretary denied the Obama trip to India cost was ‘$200 million’.

There’s times when you have to take a circuitous route in order to get to the truth. Thanks to the erroneous reports from the India press we’ve gotten responses to the India press reports with no real answers to the actual cost of the trip. The truth, the cost of Obama’s trip to India and the number of people, excluding security, including the media, who are accompanying the President on this trip? Based on responses by Obama Press Secretary Robert Gibbs we still don’t know the ‘cost’ of the trip other than, according to Gibbs, it’s in the range of the cost of trips made by Bush and Clinton. We don’t how many people excluding security who will travel with the President. There’s a part of the itinerary which the MSM, excluding the Wall Street Journal, have shown zero interest in, the planned ‘economic summit’ in Mumbai which includes representatives from 250 companies in the U.S. including Obama’s adviser and pal, GE Chairman and CEO Jeff Immelt.

Wall Street Journal, Who’s Who at the Mumbai Profitpalooza:

Representatives from around 250 U.S. companies are part of Mr. Obama’s extended entourage during his visit to India which starts Saturday. Much of his first day here will be focused on America’s business bonds with India.

The corporate chiefs will attend the U.S.-India Business Council’s Business and Entrepreneurship Summit at the Oberoi Hotel in South Mumbai that Mr. Obama will also attend.

Among those expected to take the stage at the profitpalooza are Terry McGraw, the USIBC’s chairman and chief executive of McGraw-Hill Cos. as well as India’s richest man, Mukesh Ambani. Also among those expected to speak are: Jeffrey Immelt, chairman and CEO of General Electric; Anand Mahindra, vice chairman of the Mahindra Group; Indra Nooyi, chairman of PepsiCo; and Rajan Bharti Mittal, vice chairman of Bharti Enterprises.

Will the MSM ask the White House why Immelt, an adviser to the President, will attend an economic summit where GE stands to land even more lucrative contracts with India? A summit attended by Obama?

The questions about Obama who has an adviser whose company has been outsourcing jobs to India during the worst recession since the Great Depression?

Rediff.com, June 17, 2009:

Bhupesh Bhandari

All aircraft engines need to be put through rigorous tests before they are sold. What will happen in case of a bird hit, or if a fan blade disengages? Done physically, each of these tests can cost up to $15 million.

And each test has to be carried out under different conditions. This can burn hundreds of millions of dollars.

General Electric, the world’s leading maker of aircraft engines, carries out all such tests on computers in an industrial estate in Bangalore at a fraction of the cost and time.

As a result, GE hopes to roll out four or five new engines over the next five years. An engine can take up to 20 years to develop. Nobody has ever flooded the market with so many engines in a span of just five years.

One can only imagine the reaction of the liberal media elite if Bush, as President, appointed as an adviser the head of Halliburton. Bush and the head of Halliburton attending an economic summit in the Middle East.

Back to DBKP Front Page.

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #142 on: November 05, 2010, 08:50:22 PM »
Bloomberg

Immelt Wants Obama to ‘Sell Hard’ When in Indonesia (Update2)
March 18, 2010, 5:02 PM EDT
 GE Tells Obama ‘Sell Hard’ in Indonesia With China in Pursuit

By Daniel Ten Kate and Stuart Biggs

March 18 (Bloomberg) -- General Electric Co. Chief Executive Jeffrey Immelt wants Barack Obama to “sell hard” in Indonesia as he extols U.S. expertise in industries such as clean energy. He may have to play catch-up -- Premier Wen Jiabao will make China’s sales pitch in Jakarta next month.

President Obama’s trip to his childhood home, which has now been delayed until at least June, will be key to a pledge to boost U.S. exports and “lead the global economy” in providing alternatives to fossil fuels. Southeast Asia’s biggest economy, which Immelt included last week among nations that may provide the growth “surprise” of the next decade, has the world’s largest geothermal reserves.

Winning orders for plants that harness the earth’s heat to produce electricity is a test of the U.S.’s ability to compete with China for exports in a region where its investments lag the European Union and Japan. China profited from Indonesia’s earlier energy needs, supplying coal-fired plants in the last decade, said Ravi Krishnaswamy, Singapore-based Asia-Pacific director for Frost & Sullivan, an energy consultancy.

“It’s sort of scary because China has moved so quickly and they’ve been so efficient in developing their industry,” said Peter du Pont, who runs an Asia clean-energy program in Bangkok funded by the U.S. Agency for International Development. The U.S. risks “losing whole markets if they’re not active,” he said.

‘Ring of Fire’

Indonesia’s more than 17,000 islands straddle the Pacific’s “ring of fire” of active volcanoes, providing a key source of energy. Chevron Corp., Houston-based Halliburton Co. and Osaka- based Itochu Corp. are among companies that will sponsor the World Geothermal Congress on the resort island of Bali next month.

Indonesia was Asia’s third-fastest growing economy behind China and India last year. The government of President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono plans to spend $17.3 billion to meet power demand by adding 10,000 megawatts of capacity -- equivalent to 10 nuclear plants -- with more than half coming from cleaner sources including geothermal energy.

Trip Postponed

Obama’s visit, originally scheduled for next week, is being postponed because of this weekend’s vote in Congress on his health care plan, White House press secretary Robert Gibbs said today. The president will try to reschedule the trip for June, Gibbs said.

The delay will mean that issues of trade and investment between the U.S. and Indonesia will just “stay on the table,” said Murray Hiebert, senior director for Asia at the U.S. Chamber of Commerce in Washington.

“The business community was hoping it would give him an opportunity” to raise the question of investment barriers, Hiebert said in an interview.

Still, U.S. businesses competing in Indonesia won’t be harmed by the delay in Obama’s visit because most Indonesians will understand the reason for it, said Michael Orgill, manager for Indonesia at the U.S.-ASEAN Business Council in Washington. “They understand the domestic politics of what’s going on here in terms of health care,” he said.

The Obama visit will be preceded in May by U.S. Commerce Secretary Gary Locke’s trade missions to Indonesia and China. “Indonesia is going to be a vast, steady market for green technologies,” Locke said in a speech in Washington yesterday. “There are regional neighbors, for instance, like China and India that are racing with us to meet Indonesia and the world’s demand for renewable energy.”

Wen is set to make his first visit to Indonesia in April, according to Indonesia’s Foreign Ministry.

“In a time when millions of Americans are out of work, boosting our exports is a short-term imperative,” Obama said last week at the annual meeting of the U.S. Export-Import Bank in Washington.

U.S. Too ‘Timid’

Speaking at the same conference, Immelt faulted the U.S. government for being too “timid” on selling exports. He urged Obama to push the company’s freight locomotives, telling him to “sell hard.”

GE is involved in projects in Indonesia ranging from geothermal plants to turning landfill waste to energy, said Gatot Prawiro, GE Energy’s power & water growth director for the country. Indonesia’s demand for power has outpaced generation by 8 percent a year for the past decade, Prawiro said in an e-mail, citing the state power utility.

“At GE, we believe that a large part of this demand can be met by cleaner energy,” he said, adding that Indonesia must clarify regulations to facilitate investment.

Geothermal Plant

Five months ago, Fairfield-Connecticut-based GE loaned $50 million to a subsidiary of Indonesian energy developer Star Energy to help finance a 220-megawatt geothermal plant in Java.

America’s largest companies are seeking to gain a foothold, judging from a U.S.-Asean Business Council trade mission to Indonesia in January. The trip included 62 executives from 27 businesses, including Atlanta-based Coca-Cola Co. and Redmond, Washington-based Microsoft Corp., who sought opportunities in communications, energy and health, Michael Orgill, the council’s manager for Indonesia, said in an interview.

Climate change and clean energy are part of a “comprehensive partnership” that Obama plans to sign with Yudhoyono. The accord also aims to strengthen democracy in the world’s biggest Muslim nation and improve security ties as Indonesia fights terrorists who bombed luxury hotels and tourist spots, including Bali, in the past decade.

‘Comparative Advantage’

“Our two presidents are somewhat likeminded on climate change,” Indonesian Trade Minister Mari Pangestu said in a Feb. 28 interview. “We believe the U.S. has a comparative advantage in a lot of the renewable energy areas, so we hope there can be investments.”

San Ramon, California-based Chevron already manages two geothermal projects in Indonesia and is considering a third.

“The international community is coming to believe that Indonesia is seeing a turnaround,” Krishnaswamy said. “It’s too big a market to ignore.”

Indonesia’s gross domestic product rose 4.5 percent last year and the benchmark stock index increased 123 percent in dollar terms, making it Asia’s best performer.

The U.S. share of foreign direct investment in the Association of Southeast Asian Nations fell to 5 percent in 2008 from 28 percent a decade ago. The U.S. invested $3.01 billion in Asean in 2008, compared with the European Union’s $13.1 billion and Japan’s $7.16 billion, the group’s statistics show.

--With assistance from Mark Drajem, Hans Nichols and Roger Runningen in Washington and Greg Ahlstrand in Jakarta. Editors: Patrick Harrington, Ken Fireman, Ann Hughey.

To contact the reporter on this story: Daniel Ten Kate in Bangkok at dtenkate@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Bill Austin at billaustin@bloomberg.net

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #143 on: November 05, 2010, 08:57:38 PM »
Bomb-proof tunnel with air conditioning: Obama's security go to extraordinary measures..
The London Daily Mail ^ | November 6, 2010 | Staff

* American warships to patrol off Mumbai during visit

* Coconuts removed from trees as a precaution

* 250 U.S. business executives with Obama on 'biggest ever trade mission'

* $200million Asia trip cost denied but the President will have huge entourage

--snip--

It is also reported that a bomb-proof tunnel will be erected for Mr Obama ahead of his visit to Mani Bhavan - the Gandhi museum - on Saturday.

According to Daily News & Analysis, U.S. secret service agents visited the museum on Monday to plan Mr Obama's security during his tour. They were accompanied by Mumbai Police officers and civic officials of the D ward where Mani Bhavan is located. While they were inspecting the route and the buildings lining the path to the museum, U.S. security officers noticed a nearby skyscraper in the highly populated area that could pose a threat. To the amazement of the Indians accompanying the U.S. agents, it was apparently decided to erect a bomb-proof over-ground tunnel, which will be installed by U.S. military engineers in just an hour. The kilometre-long tunnel will measure 12ft by 12ft and will have air-conditioning, close-circuit television cameras, and will be heavily guarded at every point. It's being built so it is large enough for Mr Obama's cavalcade to pass through and will be manned at its entry and exit points.

The material that the tunnel would be made of has not been released but officials said that the structure would be dismantled immediately after Mr Obama and his party leaves the area...

(Excerpt) Read more at dailymail.co.uk ...

Hedgehog

• Getbig V
  • It Rubs The Lotion On Its Skin.
« Reply #144 on: November 05, 2010, 09:25:45 PM »
Great links 3386.

It seems like there are at least 250 persons going.

But according to your sources, those are employees of private corporations.

Or are you saying that their plane tickets are paid by the government? That would be really sensational IMO.

According to your articles, there is still no figure on how much the trip will cost.

As for the whole idea of Obama's trip to India.

It would be interesting to see a review of the trip in six months or a year. See if it paid off.

I think it's good that expenses for politicians are being investigated. Always.

But there is a big problem when it's started off by what seems like a lie.

And it sucks to read that some journalists - in one of the articles you posted 3366 - doesn't seem to care too much about that lie.

What would be interesting right now, is to see a review of that Indonesian trip (earlier this year) and how it played out for the tax payers.

Did it help export/import?

What is the payback?

The question shouldn't be - how much does it cost.

But rather - what do we get for it?

What will the US tax payers get from Obama going to India?

I think that's the real issue.
As empty as paradise

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #145 on: November 06, 2010, 05:38:22 AM »
Taj Hotel caters to Obama's sweet tooth
NDTV ^ | November 6, 2010

________________________ ________________________ _________

Mumbai: The management at Taj Mahal Palace Hotel is leaving no stone unturned to make US President Barack Obama's stay in the city 'sweet' and special.

Sources said chefs have been working for almost 24 hours to prepare an exclusive chocolate box for the president and his entourage. Interestingly, the box itself will be made of chocolate.

The chefs want to ensure the president has the choicest assortment of desserts in his suite.

"The chefs are working day and night to complete preparations before the president arrives in the hotel today.

The hotel is doing everything possible to give him a warm welcome," said the source on condition of anonymity.

"The boxes will be kept in all the VIP rooms and to give a distinct touch to the president's chocolate box, it will be embellished with the picture of the US national flag," he said.

The source said the boxes would not melt, as the entire hotel was centrally air-conditioned.

BUFFET FOR THE FLEET

About 3,000 people are supposed to join the president. The source revealed that all the 506 rooms have been booked. "Though the president will be eating food cooked by his own chef, the hotel is preparing Indian, continental, and Chinese buffet for the fleet."

SPECIAL BAR

A list of imported liquor has been included in the bar to give enough variety for the guests to choose from. The bar has been stocked with Glenfiddich 40-Year-Old Rare Collection and Dom Perignon Rose Champagne from France. "Wine, whisky and champagne will be stocked in the bar. The bar will not only cater to Obama's demands, but also to those of his wife Michelle.

SECURITY AT TAJ

Employees have been issued hotel and police entry pass to enter the area. "Nobody will be allowed in the area without police pass, whereas no staff will be given entry without the hotel pass. The management has instructed the staff not to loiter in the lobby when the president is in the hotel. No staff will be allowed to go out of the hotel during working hours," said the source.

MORE CARS BOOKED

More cars have been booked for the US fleet. "Earlier 150 cars were booked which has now been increased to 225. The company which has been given the responsibility of logistics has been running from pillar to post to get more cars," said a source.

The US Consulate had booked Innova cars for sniffer dogs and Toyota and Mercedes Volvo for the rest of the fleet.

240 is Back

• Getbig V
« Reply #146 on: November 06, 2010, 05:53:13 AM »
I thought you would support the efforts of our enemies to convert our President to a diabetic?

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #147 on: November 06, 2010, 06:00:35 AM »
I thought you would support the efforts of our enemies to convert our President to a diabetic?

I hope Obama decides he likes india so much he plans on staying there for good and let us begin to actually help our nation get back to some semblence of normalcy, not the farce and obscenity he has exposed us to these past two years. 

blacken700

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #148 on: November 06, 2010, 06:20:05 AM »

Obama’s trip to India has a carbon footprint bigger than many US cities
Published: 5:19 PM 11/03/2010 | Updated: 9:24 AM 11/04/2010
By Anthony Watts

________________________ ________________________ _________________

Mr. Watts operates the most visited blog on climate science in the world, www.wattsupwiththat.com, now with over 57 million visits. He has spent 30 years on air in radio and television as a weather forecaster, and still does daily radio broadcasts. In 2007, he founded the surfacestations.org project, which with the help of volunteers nationwide found that only 1 in 10 of the weather stations used for monitoring climate in the USA met the government's own standards for station siting quality. He also operates a weather technology business, embraces energy efficiency with solar power on his home and drives an electric car.

The Daily Mail: Forty planes and six armoured cars: Obama visit to India the ‘biggest ever by a US President’

NDTV: US to spend $200 million a day on Obama’s Mumbai visit

About 3,000 people, including Secret Service agents, US government officials and journalists, are accompanying the president on his trip to India. Several officials from the White House and US security agencies have been there for the past week with helicopters, a ship and high-end security instruments.

Of course, we know that US presidents don’t travel lightly, and they need security details and armored cars. But 3,000 people and forty aircraft?

Let’s do the carbon math:

Estimate of the carbon footprint of President Obama’s trip to India

We are constantly told how bad air travel is for the planet. For example, the UK has a whole organization, called “Plane Stupid,” dedicated to the issue. It is groups like this that enable us to calculate the carbon emissions of air travel using the handy dandy Terrapass web page.

1. If one assumes that all 3,000 people fly commercial from Washington, D.C., to New Delhi and back (and nowhere else), their cumulative carbon footprint can be calculated according to Terrapass at http://www.terrapass.com/carbon-footprint-calculator/#air.

Here’s the info on their calculation methodology.

So here’s what we get for the maximum number of people, ten, that we can select at one time on that website. Note that Bombay, India is now called Mumbai, but the airport code is still BOM in Terrapass:

Multiply 62,238 lbs of CO2 for ten people times 300 (to make three thousand) and we get 18,671,400 lbs of CO2, or 8,469 metric tons.

To get the per capita figure in metric tons, divide that again by 3,000 people, which gives us 2.823 metric tons per person for the trip.

2. The Brookings Institute did a survey in 2008 ranking major US cities by their per capita emissions. You can read the full report here. If we were to compare his trip to the city table:

Obama’s trip comes in between Memphis and Raleigh on a per capita basis.

3. Caveat: Of course, this calculation excludes the carbon footprint for also traveling to Indonesia, South Korea and Indonesia as part of this Grand Tour, as well as any other activity while in those places. Plus vehicles and other forms of travel.

If we figured in all the travel, it would well be higher.

The message? Travel lightly but carry a big hockey stick.

4. If Obama wanted to offset the carbon using the tool of choice of his buddy, Al Gore, the Chicago Climate Exchange, he could do so pretty cheaply since carbon offsets there are selling for five cents per metric ton.

So with 8,469 metric tons of CO2 emitted for the Washington-to-Bombay roundtrip, he could buy a carbon indulgence for a mere $423.45. That’s chump change when you are blowing a cool $200 million per day to keep everybody traveling in style.

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2010/11/03/obamas-trip-to-india-has-a-carbon-footprint-bigger-than-many-us-cities/#ixzz14K1peMEo

back to the topic :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Soul Crusher

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
« Reply #149 on: November 06, 2010, 06:23:20 AM »
English-speaking cops confined for four days in the Taj
Published: Friday, Nov 5, 2010, 23:15 IST
By Baljeet Parmar | Place: Mumbai | Agency: DNA 

________________________ ________________________ ________________________

Their command over the English language has unwittingly landed nearly 300 city cops in virtual confinement as they have been assigned duties at the Taj and are not allowed to leave the hotel till US president Barack Obama leaves on Sunday afternoon.

The officers, holding ranks of sub inspector, assistant sub inspector, inspector, senior inspector and assistant commissioner of police were handpicked by their seniors for their communication skills in English, apart from general police training.

The 300-odd officers will work in tandem with highly trained 300 US security men, forming the inner protection ring guarding the US president during his stay at the Taj.

“We were posted here on November 3 evening and have been told not to leave the premises till Sunday afternoon. It is a challenging assignment and we do not mind missing our family and Diwali celebrations as there is a lot to learn from the US security personnel and experts. They have very sophisticated gadgets and electronics equipment which could be of immense help to us in future,” said a senior inspector on condition of anonymity.

Their only way of communicating with the outside world is their mobile phones, and that too would be taken away from them during Obama’s stay at the hotel, informed another officer.

The officers will keep an eye on some 300 hotel staffers who too have barred from leaving the premises till Sunday. Every officer has been detailed to keep one-to-one touch with the hotel staffers and the US security men.

The hotel management has in-house arrangements to cater to the needs of the security personnel and nothing can be brought in from outside. The officers have been provided distinct identity cards which cannot be copied or duplicated. “By the time the president arrives, we will know each other well, eliminating any chances of an outsider infiltrating the ranks,” an officer informed.

A large number of officers chosen for the sensitive job had done stints with the United Nations while on service with the peacekeeping forces, particularly in Congo. The experience provided them international exposure in dealing with foreign armed forces. The others are mainly drawn from the elite forces like the crime branch.

Apart from securing the hotel premises, the city police has deployed more than 5,000 trained police personnel in the entire area around the Taj. The Gateway of India, along with Colaba and adjoining Nariman Point, have been extensively sanitised to keep eliminate any disturbance or threat, the sources added.

The US security experts are closely monitoring all movements and developments on land, coast and air in a well coordinated manner using a satellite-powered technology, the sources further added.

________________________ ______________________

I'll bet all of this only cost about $1,000,000 a day.    ::)  ::)