Author Topic: WWE Creative  (Read 4988 times)

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
WWE Creative
« on: December 22, 2013, 08:05:51 AM »
I occasionally catch a Podcast that has ex-WWE writers on, as guests.

Seems like all of them last about a year, then either leave or get canned.

Sounds like the kind of job that burns people out , fast.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: WWE Creative
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2013, 08:11:57 AM »
I occasionally catch a Podcast that has ex-WWE writers on, as guests.

Seems like all of them last about a year, then either leave or get canned.

Sounds like the kind of job that burns people out , fast.

For the last 10 yrs they have all sucked and deserve being fired. 

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2013, 10:16:02 AM »
These guys are television writers who happen to be wrestling fans.

In fairness, they have a pretty impossible job, coming up with five hours of original programming a week. In addition, they have to deal with unseasoned talent.

When guys like Austin and Foley made it to the bigs, they were veterans. Today, the guys are a year or two out of the WWE training facility. IMO, guys like Punk and Bryan are the last of a dying breed. Going forward, the WWE will have an even more generic product. If something new comes about, it will be from an ECW- type smaller company.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2013, 10:31:22 AM »

In fairness, they have a pretty impossible job, coming up with five hours of original programming a week. In addition, they have to deal with unseasoned talent.

When guys like Austin and Foley made it to the bigs, they were veterans. Today, the guys are a year or two out of the WWE training facility. IMO, guys like Punk and Bryan are the last of a dying breed. Going forward, the WWE will have an even more generic product. If something new comes about, it will be from an ECW- type smaller company.

Agree on all points.  Not that Vince cares but from the 80's on he has squeezed out his feeding ground of the small territories where guys could learn their craft.  Its just too bad it wont hurt him financially. 

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2013, 12:10:26 PM »

Correct. To that, I'll add that many talents like Austin, Foley were given ample use of creative latitude over their characters. Austin composed many of his catch-phrases, interview dialogue, t-shirt designs, etc. Foley masterfully carved out a unique complexity for AND execution of his character that I don't know has been matched since.

Almost no one today can do that, and the ones who can are not permitted. They are handed instructions for EVERYTHING they do, and it's horrible.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2013, 12:19:47 PM »
wwe should pursue aj styles great aerial wrestler would fit in great against cm punk and dan bryan. other than that what can they do to remain fresh bring in a daniel arquette type again or recycle some other lame gimmick.bring in more masked wrestlers[ray lewis and london fletcher as the new doom], who knows seems they are more concerned with social media anymore trending now fruity pebbles and such. course it helps to be the only game in town.
F

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2013, 06:28:32 AM »
It's hard to say how the future will pan out, financially, for the WWE.

On one hand, the new media climate is very favorable to content providers like the WWE. Eventually, Vince & Co. will be able to broadcast directly from an App, and, in doing so, cut out the network middlemen.

On the other, the current state of the product is not gonna attract hardcore fans who actually care, and casual fans have so many other media options that I don't believe the ratings of the Attitude era will ever be repeated.

Basically, the WWE stands to get a bigger piece of a smaller pie.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2013, 07:08:50 AM »
It's hard to say how the future will pan out, financially, for the WWE.

On one hand, the new media climate is very favorable to content providers like the WWE. Eventually, Vince & Co. will be able to broadcast directly from an App, and, in doing so, cut out the network middlemen.

On the other, the current state of the product is not gonna attract hardcore fans who actually care, and casual fans have so many other media options that I don't believe the ratings of the Attitude era will ever be repeated.

Basically, the WWE stands to get a bigger piece of a smaller pie.
people would rather watch duck dynasty[generated over 500 million dollars worth of revenues since it's debut} or the jersey shore anymore,  fake reality shows course VKM is smart getting in on that pie as well with total divas. probably more such fare will appear soon.
F

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 07:15:20 AM »
I still believe if the product went back to a more wrestling traditional style it could still work.  Find guys like Steen and let them do their thing.  Cut back on the production so it doesnt look so cartoonish, develop mic work with younger guys pairing them with vets on ring psychology, create regional promos to help develop and funnel talent.  Just a few thoughts. 

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »
Writing is attrocious, PPV buy rates are down...

One week Miz is a heel, next week a face

Build up Daniel Bryan then crush him

No focus on WWE Title..more focus on Authority...

Shall I continue......

All the wrestlers are the same, swimsuit models, same scripted promos.........need variety

And I agree that 80's / characters were great! Kamala, George the Animal, Road Warriors etc...

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2013, 11:58:33 AM »
I still believe if the product went back to a more wrestling traditional style it could still work.  Find guys like Steen and let them do their thing.  Cut back on the production so it doesnt look so cartoonish, develop mic work with younger guys pairing them with vets on ring psychology, create regional promos to help develop and funnel talent.  Just a few thoughts. 

The WWE is moving in the exact opposite direction as they want to control the process completely. Apparently, Triple H is not a fan of Indy wrestlers. He'd rather grab some college football player with a good look and teach him the WWE way.

That said, I listen to Austin's podcast regularly, and he would agree with you completely.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 12:06:44 PM »
Writing is attrocious, PPV buy rates are down...

Build up Daniel Bryan then crush him

Vince always liked larger than life, guys. Deep down, he can't stomach the idea of a small guy like Bryan representing the company. Triple H, a bodybuilder at heart, feels the same way.

Not easy for Bryan to swim against that tide.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 03:34:17 PM »
You guys have got a nice discussion going here. I apologize for not joining in more; I just literally cannot stomach the shit they're providing.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 11:01:19 AM »
You guys have got a nice discussion going here. I apologize for not joining in more; I just literally cannot stomach the shit they're providing.
on the other side of the coin tna or is it impact wrestling is falling apart quickly had they given wwe more a run for the money maybe the product would improve. i can't see it lasting much longer.
F

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 12:07:47 PM »
The WWE is moving in the exact opposite direction as they want to control the process completely. Apparently, Triple H is not a fan of Indy wrestlers. He'd rather grab some college football player with a good look and teach him the WWE way.

That said, I listen to Austin's podcast regularly, and he would agree with you completely.

But ironicallly the best wrestlers back in the day were all indy people. That's where they all got their break. Hell I am sure even HHH started on the indies.

And Vince being a fan of muscleheads..yes but where dd Shawn Michaels fit in this equation??

Rumors are rampant that Batista will be back to challenge Orton for the belt......guess Daniel Brian is officially back to mid card..

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 12:32:14 PM »
And Vince being a fan of muscleheads..yes but where dd Shawn Michaels fit in this equation??

Shawn's big break came when the old man started pushing the smaller guys to distance his company from the fallout following the steroid scandal.

littleguns

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2014, 04:02:51 AM »

Shawn's big break came when the old man started pushing the smaller guys to distance his company from the fallout following the steroid scandal.

Yes and 2 of the biggest stars were of the smaller realm, Shawn Michaels and Brett Hart and now Daniel Bryan.

The fans are screaming for DB to be pushed to the moon. I wonder if behind the scenes WWE is keeping him down in fear that he will slingshot over Cena.....

gmflex

• Getbig V
  • The Empire lives...you rebel scum!!!
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2014, 08:11:43 AM »
I wonder how they are going to work the angle with Bryan being part of the Wyatt clan..
Wasn't expecting him joining...  :-\

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 11:48:55 AM »
I wonder how they are going to work the angle with Bryan being part of the Wyatt clan..
Wasn't expecting him joining...  :-\

Seems like they're burying him further by lumping him in with a mid card act.

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 12:01:34 PM »

In his prime, and fully juiced, Michaels wasn't exactly little; compared to Hogan, yes, but still much bigger than the average guy on the street. Bryan, on the other hand, looks like a natty you see every day.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2014, 05:18:05 PM »
In his prime, and fully juiced, Michaels wasn't exactly little; compared to Hogan, yes, but still much bigger than the average guy on the street. Bryan, on the other hand, looks like a natty you see every day.

Spot on, and it's been rumored that is the reason Hunter and/or Vince is holding him back - on account of his size. Vince was always a mark for huge guys, and HHH is a bodybuilder at heart.