Author Topic: Bristol Palin says abstinence best path for teens  (Read 14474 times)

BM OUT

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Bristol Palin says abstinence best path for teens
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2009, 10:12:21 AM »
bottom line - whether abstinance is right or wrong - it's working a lot less, and a lot fewer people are subscribing to it.

Palin might be right, but 1) about 20% of america agrees, and 2) the plan didn't even work in her own house - but partially because the kids were allowed to quit school and drink at home all day.  Had her kid been at debate team practice or algabra class, there would have been a lot less time to have sex and drink.  Sure it still happens, but when you let a 16 or year old girl quit school and party with the boytoy all day while you're hundreds of miles away at work, well...

Im not sure where your getting that?I didnt know she dropped out of high school until AFTER she had the baby.I could be wrong,but I thought she was still in high school while pregnant.

Straw Man

• Getbig V
  • one dwells in nirvana
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2009, 10:22:10 AM »
well i wish you two the best of luck when you have kids.  im not tryin to be a smartass either.  i sincerely hope that one way or the other none of us ends up with a pregnant 13 year old.  but if any of us do i hope we can show that kid that life is something to be cherished and having sex comes with a responsibility to the life that you may create.

what's your alternative - preach abstinence and then pray that it works?

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2009, 11:11:05 AM »
what's your alternative - preach abstinence and then pray that it works?

no i want to teach responsibility.  i want my kids to make informed decisions and i want them to learn to take responsibility for whatever they choose.  if they choose to have sex,  well then they choose to take responsibility for any life that may be created.  and do i think that public schools should be talking about sex at all with my kids?  no.  i want my son to learn math, science, and english at school.  i'll parent him.  thats why i had him.  right now all our kids learn is "wear condoms.  but hey if you dont have any and she gets pregnant just go get an abortion."  and in some states they say.  "and fuck your parents.  we'll let you get one without them knowing"  i dont know about you, but i have a problem with that.  if my kid gets some girl pregnant, i wanna know about it.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2009, 11:22:01 AM »
no i want to teach responsibility.  i want my kids to make informed decisions and i want them to learn to take responsibility for whatever they choose.  if they choose to have sex,  well then they choose to take responsibility for any life that may be created.  and do i think that public schools should be talking about sex at all with my kids?  no.  i want my son to learn math, science, and english at school.  i'll parent him.  thats why i had him.  right now all our kids learn is "wear condoms.  but hey if you dont have any and she gets pregnant just go get an abortion."  and in some states they say.  "and fuck your parents.  we'll let you get one without them knowing"  i dont know about you, but i have a problem with that.  if my kid gets some girl pregnant, i wanna know about it.

I hate the State.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2009, 11:31:10 AM »

i love your horrible assumption that you have an idea that works.  you can sit back and bash people who believe in abstinence all you want but if you are an unmarried person who has had sex without a condom, then you're just the worst kind of hypocrite.  and dont come back at me with "she was on the pill" with all the STD's in this country.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2009, 11:38:08 AM »
i love your horrible assumption that you have an idea that works.  you can sit back and bash people who believe in abstinence all you want but if you are an unmarried person who has had sex without a condom, then you're just the worst kind of hypocrite.  and dont come back at me with "she was on the pill" with all the STD's in this country.

??? Uhmm...not married and when I do have sex, I use a condom...huh? Who are you talking to?
I hate the State.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2009, 11:43:40 AM »
??? Uhmm...not married and when I do have sex, I use a condom...huh? Who are you talking to?

well if you are using one every time.  i will be the first to personally applaud that.  but you sir are a minority.  if you were a majority, this thread wouldnt exist.  i do think condoms work......if you use them.  i personally hate them.  its crazy that there are people out there who have NEVER had sex without one.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2009, 11:45:37 AM »
well if you are using one every time.  i will be the first to personally applaud that.  but you sir are a minority.  if you were a majority, this thread wouldnt exist.  i do think condoms work......if you use them.  i personally hate them.  its crazy that there are people out there who have NEVER had sex without one.

I agree and that is why I practise abstinence. ;D

Plus the things attached to the vaginal orifice are enormously stressful, walking headaches most of the time... :-\
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2009, 11:46:23 AM »
A few comments:

1.  I agree with most of what bears has said in this thread.  Very realistic and common sense approach, probably because he's a parent (and a smart guy).  

2.  When I say "condoms don't work," I'm referring to the fact that kids will not consistently use them.  The alarming number of teen pregnancies in this country for decades pretty much proves this.  Condoms are all over the place and available for free at some clinics.  Despite this, kids don't consistently use them.  They never will.    

3.  Kids are not ready for sex.  Is there anyone, particularly a parent, who really believes that a 13-year-old is ready for sex?  Ready to be a parent?  Able to deal with a STD?  

4.  The attack on the children of politicians is shameful.  I did not agree with those who attacked Chelsea, Bush's daughters, Gore's kids, or Palin's kids.  And the attacks are always partisan.  Kids should be off limits IMO.  

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2009, 11:49:02 AM »
A few comments:

1.  I agree with most of what bears has said in this thread.  Very realistic and common sense approach, probably because he's a parent (and a smart guy).  

2.  When I say "condoms don't work," I'm referring to the fact that kids will not consistently use them.  The alarming number of teen pregnancies in this country for decades pretty much proves this.  Condoms are all over the place and available for free at some clinics.  Despite this, kids don't consistently use them.  They never will.    

3.  Kids are not ready for sex.  Is there anyone, particularly a parent, who really believes that a 13-year-old is ready for sex?  Ready to be a parent?  Able to deal with a STD?  

4.  The attack on the children of politicians is shameful.  I did not agree with those who attacked Chelsea, Bush's daughters, Gore's kids, or Palin's kids.  And the attacks are always partisan.  Kids should be off limits IMO.  

How are you going to 'enforce' abstinence Beach Bum?
I hate the State.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2009, 11:53:41 AM »

the same way you will enforce the condom use.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2009, 11:54:45 AM »
I agree and that is why I practise abstinence. ;D

Plus the things attached to the vaginal orifice are enormously stressful, walking headaches most of the time... :-\

now thats funny. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2009, 12:01:19 PM »
now thats funny. 

If it weren't so sad, it actually would be... :(
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2009, 12:13:09 PM »

Are you talking about society or me as a parent? 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2009, 12:16:22 PM »
Are you talking about society or me as a parent? 

Both.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2009, 12:19:35 PM »
Both.

Society doesn't "enforce" birth control methods.  It educates. 

Same with parents.  You educate your kids, set a good example, develop their critical thinking skills, and put them in the position to make the best possible choices.  You can control many of your kids' choices up to a certain age, then it's on them and hopefully they do the right thing most of the time, assuming the parents have done their job.   

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2009, 12:21:46 PM »
Society doesn't "enforce" birth control methods.  It educates. 

Same with parents.  You educate your kids, set a good example, develop their critical thinking skills, and put them in the position to make the best possible choices.  You can control many of your kids' choices up to a certain age, then it's on them and hopefully they do the right thing most of the time, assuming the parents have done their job.   

What would happen if you heard your kids got pregnant?
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2009, 12:25:01 PM »

I have no idea.  I hope it's something I never have to deal with. 

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2009, 12:26:12 PM »
I have no idea.  I hope it's something I never have to deal with. 

Well, at least you realise you can't control your kids' behaviour.
I hate the State.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2009, 12:31:07 PM »
Well, at least you realise you can't control your kids' behaviour.

Yes I realize that.  Despite my best efforts (and I'm not a perfect parent by any means), my kids aren't immune from bad choices. 

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2009, 01:10:28 PM »

thats a good question.  i think the first step is to raise my child so that he/she wouldn't be afraid to tell me.  I have to make sure my son knows that i love him unconditionally.  And that I will love him no matter what he does (unless he tries to take the big piece of chicken at dinner of course.  then hes a fuckin dead man).  But what i will tell him is that he is a father now.  He was mature enough to fuck he shoudl be mature enough to deal with the consequences.  He has a responsibility to take care of the life that he created.  Aw?  Your life isn't going to turn out the way you expected?  Walk it off.  Just because life has thrown you a curveball doesn't mean that you can't be happy.  Take the righteous path.  It will be a tougher path no doubt.  But in the end you will be a happier man for it. 

If more boys had fathers who were there to give this advice, more boys would have fathers who would be there to give this advice.  see what i mean? 

Our society is raising a generation of boys. we need to start raising men.  Thats not to say that we need to raise people that dont make mistakes.  We just need people who are taught the humility and the strength to take responsibility for those mistakes.  I personally have done some horrible things in my life.  especially with women.  When you live your life the way I did you have two choices.  You can admit to yourself that what you did was wrong and move forward or you can spend the rest of your life trying to rationalize that what you did wasnt bad and attacking all the people who say that it is.  The latter leads to nowhere believe me.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2009, 01:13:27 PM »
thats a good question.  i think the first step is to raise my child so that he/she wouldn't be afraid to tell me.  I have to make sure my son knows that i love him unconditionally.  And that I will love him no matter what he does (unless he tries to take the big piece of chicken at dinner of course.  then hes a fuckin dead man).  But what i will tell him is that he is a father now.  He was mature enough to fuck he shoudl be mature enough to deal with the consequences.  He has a responsibility to take care of the life that he created.  Aw?  Your life isn't going to turn out the way you expected?  Walk it off.  Just because life has thrown you a curveball doesn't mean that you can't be happy.  Take the righteous path.  It will be a tougher path no doubt.  But in the end you will be a happier man for it. 

If more boys had fathers who were there to give this advice, more boys would have fathers who would be there to give this advice.  see what i mean? 

Our society is raising a generation of boys. we need to start raising men.  Thats not to say that we need to raise people that dont make mistakes.  We just need people who are taught the humility and the strength to take responsibility for those mistakes.  I personally have done some horrible things in my life.  especially with women.  When you live your life the way I did you have two choices.  You can admit to yourself that what you did was wrong and move forward or you can spend the rest of your life trying to rationalize that what you did wasnt bad and attacking all the people who say that it is.  The latter leads to nowhere believe me.

Women do lots of horrible things as well, sadly, no one speaks of it.
I hate the State.

bears

• Getbig IV
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2009, 01:18:51 PM »
Women do lots of horrible things as well, sadly, no one speaks of it.

totally.  or they just blame it on men.

Deicide

• Getbig V
  • Reapers...
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2009, 01:21:42 PM »
totally.  or they just blame it on men.

QFT...some LITERALLY get away with murder...
I hate the State.

tu_holmes

• Getbig V
  • Robot
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2009, 01:32:56 PM »
QFT...some LITERALLY get away with murder...

All the fucking time.