Author Topic: muscular vs. strength question ...  (Read 1323 times)

workinglegs

• Getbig I
muscular vs. strength question ...
« on: January 19, 2010, 03:45:13 AM »
I know a a girl at the gym with legs much more muscular than mine but I never see her lift any heavy weights? Is it possible to be more muscular than someone but not as strong?

HDPhysiques

• Getbig III
  • "Hi-Def Bodies in Hi-Def Video"
Re: muscular vs. strength question ...
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 04:04:40 AM »
These are real female legs right here:

JOIN HDPhysiques!!!!

Butterbean

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 06:44:41 AM »
I know a a girl at the gym with legs much more muscular than mine but I never see her lift any heavy weights? Is it possible to be more muscular than someone but not as strong?

I believe so but I'm no expert.

Are you always there when she is?  Maybe you just miss her heavy leg days.

Maybe you could ask her how she trains legs emphasizing quads. 
R

YoungBlood

• Getbig V
  • Weee!
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 09:11:51 AM »

Looking at the two sets of legs, I see a couple things:
She probably does full range of movements, emphasizes lunges, contractions and has found her magical rep range. She probably also does heavy movements, but not overly heavy where she's piling on too much weight and the movement suffers because of this.

She could have favorable slow-twitch muscle fiber ratio, so when a trainer told her to do "higher reps to tone" her thighs, this worked because of the muscle fiber ratio. Thus her magical rep scheme is born.

The legs on the right, need to do plenty of movements; deep BB squats, front squats, hack squats, finish off the routine with leg extensions, and do a variety of rep ranges. One week, or two, you do heavy squats for many good sets. Then you up the rep range a bit and do hack squats for a similar number of sets...go back to heavy days, then I'd do an all-out assault and make sure you can't walk out of the gym; dropsets, super/tri-sets and 20rp squats to finish off your brutal workout.
Of course, diet plays a role too.

workinglegs

• Getbig I
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2010, 03:35:36 PM »
It could be that I just like women's legs and therefore spend a lot more time looking at them. But ... that aside ... i see a LOT more great looking muscular legs on women than men? And although there are definitely some girls i know at the gym who have muscular legs AND can outsquat me ... there are more girls with legs that look a lot more muscular that have never squatted. Just ironic. Makes me think genetics play a HUGE or dominant role. Or ... that im barking up the wrong tree. If I want muscular legs I should just do mid-distance sprinting like the girls on the track team who Id trade legs with in a heartbeat even if they cant squat 135!

benchmstr

• Getbig V
  • Raging drunk
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2010, 04:06:31 PM »
legs dont grow from using heavy weight...they get harder but not bigger...

try using moderate weight with higher reps(15-30 reps)......your legs will grow like they never have before...

bench

workinglegs

• Getbig I
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 05:44:31 AM »
yea ... middle distance sprinters ... gymnasts .... seem to have the best developed legs and they are doing moderate duration/intense work with their legs. Does it make sense to continue to build basic strength with squats to a certain level before expanding the reps up to 15-13? Like build up to at least 225 and then use that weight for the higher reps? Or just do the lower weight and higher reps right away? And how many sets on the higher reps?