Author Topic: Arnold Gives Advice to Cutler on PBW! Is Jay in trouble?  (Read 15565 times)

AVBG

Arnold Gives Advice to Cutler on PBW! Is Jay in trouble?
« on: February 13, 2007, 09:33:26 AM »
On PBW Arnold gave some advice to Jay. He said that Jay "has a fantastic body and great looks.

The key thing is what he does with his personality because its all personality driven."  "He's a great champion but its up to him now to sell the sport with great enthusiasm".

If this is true, is Jay in trouble?

GoneAway

• Getbig V
Re: Arnold Gives Advice to Cutler on PBW! Is Jay in trouble?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2007, 09:41:09 AM »
Yup, 100% true. Man, Arnold and I think the same on a couple things and I haven't even heard the interview yet. :)

Jay's not in trouble as such, but he could be a 'better' champ.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2007, 09:41:33 AM »
I recall Arnold dissing Dorian for not being better at PR. I think that Jay has it in him to represent the sport in a positive way. He is a nice person and humble too.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2007, 09:44:02 AM »
You have to understand, Arnold and Jay are 2 seperate people. Arnold was a big dreamer and doer. He was very outspoken. Arnold traveled across the world to live in the U.S. while Jay came from a blue-collar family, worked in the family business growing up, married his high school sweetheart, and found something that he enjoyed. Jay has a lot of family values instilled in him and displays respect for others. Jay just likes to clock in, do his work, and go home.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 09:45:39 AM »
You have to understand, Arnold and Jay are 2 seperate people. Arnold was a big dreamer and doer. He was very outspoken. Arnold traveled across the world to live in the U.S. while Jay came from a blue-collar family, worked in the family business growing up, married his high school sweetheart, and found something that he enjoyed. Jay has a lot of family values instilled in him and displays respect for others. Jay just likes to clock in, do his work, and go home.

I like Jays personality better.....I think he keeps it real. He is not going re-create his persona.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2007, 09:47:13 AM »
I like Jays personality better...I think he keeps it real. He isnt going re-create his persona.

He once said that he doesn't want to be someone who talks too much.

AVBG

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2007, 09:47:56 AM »

What got me thinking about this topic was last weeks Maxmax6 aka Dave B. said that they were still looking for PR people.. now tell me how long ago was the Olympia? His reign is half way through and there's opportunities that may have been missed.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2007, 09:55:32 AM »
.. now tell me how long ago was the Olympia? His reign is half way through and there's opportunities that may have been missed.

Jay was at the last UFC signing autographs.

Ive seen pics of Jay with Big Lou at Saprano events.

He does try to put the sport out there.....

Levrone once said in 1995 that if he won the Olympia that he would change the way the world viewed the sport....well he won 2 Arnold Classics and didnt change the sport....what difference would it have made if he won the Olympia?

thisiskeith12

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2007, 09:56:48 AM »
What got me thinking about this topic was last weeks Maxmax6 aka Dave B. said that they were still looking for PR people.. now tell me how long ago was the Olympia? His reign is half way through and there's opportunities that may have been missed.

From what I understand, they had some strong connections with FHM magazine, but that magazine is about to be out of circuit, so they are looking for other avenues to take. He needs to get into more red carpet events.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2007, 09:59:39 AM »
He once said that he doesn't want to be someone who talks too much.

What a great embassador for the sport.
just push some weight!

PhoenixBuff

• Getbig IV
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2007, 10:02:32 AM »

Solid, accurate post.  Jay is looking for other ways to get out there - however, Weider and the other companies need to help get his name out there too, not just a PR firm that he hires.

I believe Arnold was referring to all of the bodybuilders and that includes Coleman too - he held the title for 8 years.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2007, 10:04:16 AM »
What a great embassador for the sport.

actually not talking "too much" a good trait to have as a person.

Titus was an example of a person who talked too much....Kamali too.

I know people want an bodybuilder that is an attention hog like Paris Hilton to take the sport to the next level....but we need people with character in the sport.

GoneAway

• Getbig V
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2007, 10:07:01 AM »
actually its a good trait to have as a person.

Titus was an example of a person who talked too much....Kamali too.

I know people want an bodybuilder that is an attention hog like Paris Hilton to take the sport to the next level....but we need people with character in the sport.

Arnold took it to the next level. He was an attention hog, but he also had character. There is a medium that can be found, if they are willing to do the hard work to get their name out there. Just being Mr. Olympia isn't gonna cut it as far as the sport branching out.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2007, 10:22:27 AM »
To use Titus or Kamali in the comparison is absurd. Cutler is dignified.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 10:23:21 AM »
we need someone like carrot top to represent
Z

thisiskeith12

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 10:25:00 AM »
What kind of light do you think Kamali would get if he went onto Jay Leno or Letterman to sit down and talk about bodybuilding and nutrition, yet he couldn't get off the topic of "internet haters" or just plain "haters" period.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 10:27:04 AM »
Arnold took it to the next level. He was an attention hog, but he also had character. There is a medium that can be found, if they are willing to do the hard work to get their name out there. Just being Mr. Olympia isn't gonna cut it as far as the sport branching out.

I dont believe that he had good character.

I believe that he lied about not attending his fathers funeral so that he could prepare for a bodybuilding contest. (pumping Iron)

Now I may be mistaken, but if that is true, his character (at that time) was lacking.

Im not sure what to believe about that event because it seems hard to believe that a person would lie about that.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2007, 10:28:16 AM »
To use Titus or Kamali in the comparison is absurd. Cutler is dignified.

They are examples of bodybuilders that talk too much.....the total opposite of Jay

I mis-worded my post...I just modified it.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2007, 10:28:24 AM »
I dont believe that he had good character.

I believe that he lied about not attending his fathers funeral so that he could prepare for a bodybuilding contest. (pumping Iron)

Now I may be mistaken, but if that is true, his character (at that time) was lacking.

Im not sure what to believe about that event because it seems hard to believe that a person would lie about that.

Arnold admitted in an interview years later that it wasn't true, he did it to shock the audience for appeal.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2007, 10:32:48 AM »
What kind of light do you think Kamali would get if he went onto Jay Leno or Letterman to sit down and talk about bodybuilding and nutrition, yet he couldn't get off the topic of "internet haters" or just plain "haters" period.

to say anything negative on the show would really be a big mistake. King wouldnt be able to control himself IMO.

I think that Jay would be able to do the show and stay positive and people would want to see more of that.

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2007, 10:55:40 AM »
Arnold admitted in an interview years later that it wasn't true, he did it to shock the audience for appeal.

Thsts even worse. He will sell out anything. 

nycbull

• Getbig V
  • Team Jay Should Have Won
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2007, 10:56:57 AM »
Jay may not be charasmatic, but he carries himself well, has taste in dress, speaks thoughtfully and has the all-american good looks. He could do some real good.

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2007, 11:03:48 AM »
Thsts even worse. He will sell out anything. 

I agree. The guy is lucky enough to get an oppurtunity to be in a documentary about the reality of his life....and he lies on film. Not a little fib either.

thisiskeith12

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 11:06:40 AM »

I agree. The guy is lucky enough to get an oppurtunity to be in a documentary about the reality of his life....and he lies on film. Not a little fib either.

If he didn't do it, there would probably be no "Pumping Iron". I think George Butler - director of Pumping Iron - said it best when he called the movie a "Drama Documentary".

Royalty

• Getbig V
  • Mentzer is Alive
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 11:14:19 AM »
If he didn't do it, there would probably be no "Pumping Iron". I think George Butler - director of Pumping Iron - said it best when he called the movie a "Drama Documentary".

Im not sure if that story actually was the most important story in the film.

I thought that there should have been more trips made to NYC to film Louie.  Kind of going back and forth from LA to NYC to build up the show between Arnold and Ferrigno more.

I did like how they went to Sardina for Franco.