Author Topic: OH NO..George Steinbrenger dies??  (Read 5325 times)

~UN_$ung~

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • Been real, been nice...but it hasnt been Real Nice
Re: OH NO..George Steinbrenger dies??
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2010, 08:59:04 AM »

I'd cry for you if you made a mistake and got a bad haircut........so give me my moment!

exactly......

the guy was  megalomaniacal piece of self-aggrandizing garbage..........hope he is gettig raped by the devil in hell 

El Diablo Blanco

• Getbig V
  • Nom Nom Nom Nom
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2010, 09:00:39 AM »
Jeter
Posada
Pettite
Rivera

Cano
Cervelli
Gardner
Chamberlin
Hughes

all drafted by the Yanks

Take a look at their championship teams, how many came up through the system and how many where brought in. 

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2010, 09:07:20 AM »
Take a look at their championship teams, how many came up through the system and how many where brought in. 

Last years team yes.the other teams of the late 90's no.

they were made up of good players playing well when it counted.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2010, 09:09:27 AM »
Funny how bad this guy was HATED by everybody, including every Yankees fan I knew for most of the 70's and into the 80's.....now he's a saint?  :-\

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2010, 09:11:16 AM »
Funny how bad this guy was HATED by everybody, including every Yankees fan I knew for most of the 70's and into the 80's.....now he's a saint?  :-\
Wonder who there gonna get to buy their championships, now?

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2010, 09:12:01 AM »

His kids of course 8)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2010, 09:12:22 AM »

True enough.  Yankees/Steinbrenner are a HUGE reason the FA market is so out of control.

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2010, 09:15:08 AM »

I don't see the other teams complaining about all the money they make in revenue sharing and luxury tax payments. Plenty of other teams could step up, they choose not to.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2010, 09:18:46 AM »
Now, if only someone could do something about Bud Selig.   ;D

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2010, 09:19:42 AM »
I don't see the other teams complaining about all the money they make in revenue sharing and luxury tax payments. Plenty of other teams could step up, they choose not to.

Great, and who gets f'd by it all? REAL fans are priced out of going to games and seeing mediocre teams that are content to stay that way.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #35 on: July 13, 2010, 09:20:02 AM »

Let them hate!

.....epic jealousy of the greatest franchise in all of sports 8)

newmom

« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2010, 09:21:30 AM »

NO NO NO, sure he was an asshole at times, who the fuck isn't. I ponder what the tea party will be like when Mr. October passes, and meets up with him and Billy M. That would be a yell fest of epic proportions

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2010, 09:28:45 AM »
NO NO NO, sure he was an asshole at times, who the fuck isn't. I ponder what the tea party will be like when Mr. October passes, and meets up with him and Billy M. That would be a yell fest of epic proportions

He was an asshole to all baseball fans in the 70's and 80's....even worse among Yankee fans.  Guess a few World Series titles erases memories pretty quickly.

newmom

« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2010, 09:30:26 AM »
He was an asshole to all baseball fans in the 70's and 80's....even worse among Yankee fans.  Guess a few World Series titles erases memories pretty quickly.

well 70's I was a young en and don't remember that. Honestly, I still feel he is the best sports owner in any sport

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2010, 09:31:22 AM »

You're perpetuating a myth.  All teams are a combination of farm talent, trades and FA acquistions.

Even last year over 40% of the 25 man roster was from the farm:  Jeter/Rivera/Posada/Pettitte/Cano/Hughes/Chamberlain/Robertson/Cabrerra/Gardner to name a few.

How does this compare with other championship teams of the last decade?  For example, I believe the 04 sox had one.
Y

Fury

• Getbig V
  • All aboard the USS Leverage
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2010, 09:32:07 AM »
Great, and who gets f'd by it all? REAL fans are priced out of going to games and seeing mediocre teams that are content to stay that way.

Blame it on their team's ownership. Bleacher seats are cheap as all hell and these billionaires don't want to spend to compete. They're the ones who are content collecting revenue sharing profits while paying $30 million team salaries.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2010, 09:32:22 AM »
well 70's I was a young en and don't remember that. Honestly, I still feel he is the best sports owner in any sport

Ouch.  Even as a kid I heard constant comments about him...hell watch old movies, tv shows, etc... and they allude to it.  Or try to find an HONEST Yanks fan from that era who doesn't have the rose colored glasses on now after the WS titles.  He was dispised.

newmom

« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2010, 09:35:38 AM »
Ouch.  Even as a kid I heard constant comments about him...hell watch old movies, tv shows, etc... and they allude to it.  Or try to find an HONEST Yanks fan from that era who doesn't have the rose colored glasses on now after the WS titles.  He was dispised.

Ha, gee so I dont do research and that makes me what?? I called my pops earlier, who has always been a diehard yanks fan and said he was an asshole in early years but none the less a great owner...

Not bad for a man that bought the team in 73 or only a mere 10 million

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #43 on: July 13, 2010, 09:36:59 AM »

Your assessment of the early years is correct.

However, he changed somewhat in the 90s entrusting Watson/Michaels to construct a team.  He still had his Tampa boys, but even that dissolved in the early 2000s.

As a fan, it was impossible to hate a man who could have easily pocketed 50-60M a YEAR more but put it on the field instead.
Y

Nails

• Getbig V
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jsi5VTzJpPw
« Reply #44 on: July 13, 2010, 09:38:10 AM »
RIP Georgie

Here is a picture of me on my way to watch a yankee game last year at the new home that George Steinbrenger built
As you can see im wearing neutral colors because im a Los Angeles Dodger fan

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2010, 09:41:08 AM »
There is no doubt he was a brilliant owner from a business standpoint.....turned an 8 million purchase into a team worth a couple of billion now, I think.  Decent little investment.  And I won't argue that he at least was willing to spend money to bring in quality players, he just used the leverage to drive most other teams out of the bidding.  Baseball should adopt the ONLY financial model that is thriving in pro-sports....the NFL.

newmom

« Reply #46 on: July 13, 2010, 09:41:40 AM »
Great Picture Nails, isn't the new stadium great..and ohhhhhhhhh those garlic fries there..yumm

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #47 on: July 13, 2010, 09:43:15 AM »
You're perpetuating a myth.  All teams are a combination of farm talent, trades and FA acquistions.

Even last year over 40% of the 25 man roster was from the farm:  Jeter/Rivera/Posada/Pettitte/Cano/Hughes/Chamberlain/Robertson/Cabrerra/Gardner to name a few.

How does this compare with other championship teams of the last decade?  For example, I believe the 04 sox had one.

THANK YOU.

All teams are built the same way...Yanks just do it better and spend more money.  they are the greatest franchise in the history of the world

Grape Ape

• Getbig V
  • SC è un asino
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2010, 09:44:09 AM »
 And I won't argue that he at least was willing to spend money to bring in quality players, he just used the leverage to drive most other teams out of the bidding.  Baseball should adopt the ONLY financial model that is thriving in pro-sports....the NFL.

MLB is thriving as well.  Heck, last time I bothered to check, even the shitbag Pirates had profits of 25M (2007, I think?)

If a team has an advantage over another and doesn't choose to use it, it's pure stupidity.

Y

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: July 13, 2010, 09:52:29 AM »
MLB is thriving as well.  Heck, last time I bothered to check, even the shitbag Pirates had profits of 25M (2007, I think?)

If a team has an advantage over another and doesn't choose to use it, it's pure stupidity.

But why set up a structure where teams have that much of an advantage?  Like I said, the only people getting f'd are the fans of the teams who don't want to spend.  Which is odd, because you see that in MLB and the NBA, but not in the NFL.  Some of the teams who are tight with the purse strings, Pats and Steelers come to mind, will let players go and just keep on winning.  Not true in baseball, maybe because it's not as much of a "team" effort as football...