Author Topic: Tiny terrier saves five New Zealand kids from pitbulls  (Read 8003 times)

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
Tiny terrier saves five New Zealand kids from pitbulls
« on: May 02, 2007, 12:58:46 PM »
RIP George  :'(

Tiny terrier saves five New Zealand kids
But injuries force canine New Zealand hero named George to be destroyed
The Associated Press
Updated: 2:46 p.m. ET May 2, 2007

WELLINGTON, New Zealand - A plucky foot-high Jack Russell terrier named George saved five New Zealand children from two marauding pit bulls, but was so severely mauled in the fight he had to be destroyed, his owner said Wednesday.

George was playing with the group of children as they returned home from buying sweets at a neighborhood shop in the small North Island town of Manaia last Sunday when the two pit bulls appeared and lunged toward them, his owner, Allan Gay, said.

"George was brave — he took them on, and he's not even a foot high," Gay told The Associated Press. "He jumped in on them, he tried to keep them off.

"If it wasn't for George, those kids would have copped it."

One of the children, Richard Rosewarne, 11, was quoted in the Taranaki Daily News on Wednesday as saying George fought with the pit bulls to keep them off his 4-year-old brother, Darryl.

"George tried to protect us by barking and rushing at them, but they started to bite him — one on the head and the other on the back," Rosewarne said. "We ran off crying, and some people saw what was happening and rescued George."

But George, aged 9, was so badly mauled that a veterinarian had to put him down, Gay said.

"The two pit bulls ripped the skin from his throat and chest and down his back," he said, adding the tough little terrier also "had a bad heart condition."

Gay said the pit bulls' owner had surrendered the pair to dog control officers and demanded they be destroyed, claiming they had launched unprovoked attacks previously.

South Taranaki District Council official Graham Young said the two dogs had been impounded and likely would be destroyed because of the attack.

In New Zealand, owners of dogs judged to be too aggressive can be required to have them neutered, and dogs involved in attacks are destroyed.

URL: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18440403?GT1=9951

Four-year-old Darryl Wilson holds a picture of George, a 9-year-old Jack Russell terrier that gave his life to save five New Zealand children from two marauding pit bulls, in New Plymouth, New Zealand, on Monday.

4thAD

Re: Tiny terrier saves five New Zealand kids from pitbulls
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2007, 02:33:59 PM »
I have to ask myself why anyone in their right mind would even have a pit bull. Compensating for something? And I don't want to hear the bs that it has to do with the owner. Those dogs are worthless. You don't hear about packs of golden retrievers mauling children!

ATHEIST

• Getbig IV
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2007, 03:03:10 PM »

I believe that Pit Bulls can be raised to be non-violent. Most owners however purchase those dogs as an extention of their man hood. sad story, if my dog was getting mauled by two pits there is no way i could just stand there and watch, my dog is a member of my family.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2007, 10:03:07 PM »
  I believe that Pit Bulls can be raised to be non-violent. Most owners however purchase those dogs as an extention of their man hood. sad story, if my dog was getting mauled by two pits there is no way i could just stand there and watch, my dog is a member of my family.

I just got a new pitbull puppy and i have mine because of the loyalty that the breed has. Not all pit bulls are worthless, i guess about as worthless as the idiots who say that the breed offers nothing. Go read a fucking book and then come back and talk.. And for the guy above who says "you never hear of anyone being attacked by golden retrievers" your damn right you dont. You also don't hear about very many other dog attacks either now do you. How many people get bit everyday in the face or body and go to the hospital. ATON how many do you hear about, usually only the pitbulls. Plus i doubt these dogs were even real pitbulls look up what a dogo is and it looks like a pit but is no where close. So to the two of you go meet up, go on a date, and then go find a fucking book so you can bring some actual knowledge about the breed to this board.. Idiots like you is why members of my family get bad names, simply put because you are highly uneducated about the subject and think that you have a fucking reason to open your mouth when you don't. I've had pits for the last 13 years and never had any incident what so ever with my dogs.. My dogs would eat you if you came into my house to do harm... but you mihgt have to watch out if my dogs off a leash when there is no issue or threat, because they would lick you to death... I'll get off my soap box so you two baboons can continue to show how fucking retarded you are, plus my puppy is saluvating waiting to sink his teeth into somebody. So I better take him to the park so he can eat a kid or something...Fucking fools.

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2007, 03:46:17 AM »
I have to ask myself why anyone in their right mind would even have a pit bull. Compensating for something? And I don't want to hear the bs that it has to do with the owner. Those dogs are worthless. You don't hear about packs of golden retrievers mauling children!

I didn't post this as a slam against pitbulls, but to show a little dog's courage and loyalty. The other dogs could of been any kind of dogs or mutts, but the point was George protected the children and died doing it. 

This is not going to be a pitbull bashing thread, but FYI golden retrievers or just about any dog you can think of has attacked a child at some time.  There is a thread about pitbulls, if you wish to have a mature discussion, please post comments in that thread.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2007, 05:17:50 AM »
people shouldnt be allowed to pick specific dogs, it should be random. otherwise it's just a way to legitimate racism.
how we gonna teach our children that we're all equally worth and then pick some dogs over others because of the way they look or act.
Z

~flower~

• Getbig IV
  • D/s
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2007, 05:21:57 AM »
people shouldnt be allowed to pick specific dogs, it should be random. otherwise it's just a way to legitimate racism.
how we gonna teach our children that we're all equally worth and then pick some dogs over others because of the way they look or act.

I guess you could say that about anything.  Like clothes, or cars, or what to eat then too.

Bluto, I will tolerate your post whoring as long as it is unoffensive and until it bores me.... which you are about this <..> far away from.  *yawn*

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2007, 05:30:04 AM »

I guess you could say that about anything.  Like clothes, or cars, or what to eat then too.

Bluto, I will tolerate your post whoring as long as it is unoffensive and until it bores me.... which you are about this <..> far away from.  *yawn*

you compare picking dogs to picking cars? i thought you had a higher regard for those 'family members'

Z

Tombo

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2007, 05:36:54 AM »
you compare picking dogs to picking cars? i thought you had a higher regard for those 'family members'

i feel dumber reading your last two posts!

what logic is behind this 'random' life you speak about? this how you live everyday? ....some of us like to determine our path thanks.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2007, 05:49:29 AM »
i feel dumber reading your last two posts!

what logic is behind this 'random' life you speak about? this how you live everyday? ....some of us like to determine our path thanks.

whats the logic behind racism?
Z

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2007, 06:04:58 AM »
whats the logic behind racism?

Racism is a complete crock of crap.... It only exists because stupid people allow it to. The days of racism could all be gone if everyone would quit seeing skin color and just start seeing people. But it is idiots who keep bringing up the damn word that continue to let the ugly little racism monster live. I dont care what color you are as long as you are an active and contributing member of society...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2007, 06:10:08 AM »
Racism is a complete crock of crap.... It only exists because stupid people allow it to. The days of racism could all be gone if everyone would quit seeing skin color and just start seeing people. But it is idiots who keep bringing up the damn word that continue to let the ugly little racism monster live. I dont care what color you are as long as you are an active and contributing member of society...

but picking a dog over another because of color or treats is ok?  ::)
Z

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2007, 06:41:33 AM »
but picking a dog over another because of color or treats is ok?  ::)

What the hell are you talking about color or treats... I dont think people pick a dog by color, I believe it is on the look of the dog.. Some people find rotweilers to be cute just like I love the loyalty of Pits and also the way that they look... Other then that I could care less dogs are great pets but I wouldnt own some breeds because I find them ugly.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2007, 09:19:50 AM »
What the hell are you talking about color or treats... I dont think people pick a dog by color, I believe it is on the look of the dog.. Some people find rotweilers to be cute just like I love the loyalty of Pits and also the way that they look... Other then that I could care less dogs are great pets but I wouldnt own some breeds because I find them ugly.

racist.
Z

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 10:05:23 AM »
When I first read this article....I felt sorry for the little Terrier.  He was old...but still had the Terrier tenacity to take a stand.

I do realize of course...if the pitbulls were Labradors or Cocker Spaniels....this wouldn't have made the news.  It's unfortunate, because the name of the breed has been given such a bad rap, that it sells newspapers because it's something people will want to read about.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 10:12:06 AM »
if the pitbulls were Labradors or Cocker Spaniels it wouldve made even bigger news. because that aint happening
Z

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2007, 11:12:09 AM »
if the pitbulls were Labradors or Cocker Spaniels it wouldve made even bigger news. because that aint happening

Sure about that?

I've seen it...but it never makes page 1 news.  Usually...if lucky...it makes the back page of local news.  Pit Bulls always make page 1 National News even if it's about a Pit Bull getting his teeth cleaned.

::)

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2007, 12:32:02 PM »
Sure about that?

I've seen it...but it never makes page 1 news.  Usually...if lucky...it makes the back page of local news.  Pit Bulls always make page 1 National News even if it's about a Pit Bull getting his teeth cleaned.

nevertheless i think maybe 5 types of dogs are responsible for 90 outta 100 incidents
Z

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2007, 12:48:36 PM »
nevertheless i think maybe 5 types of dogs are responsible for 90 outta 100 incidents

& Most likely....all 100 of them were improperly trained/handled & abused.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 01:51:34 PM »
& Most likely....all 100 of them were improperly trained/handled & abused.

or maybe its in their nature
Z

knny187

• Getbig V
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 02:21:00 PM »

nature?

let's talk about human nature first before we study & evaluate each breed of canine.

As humans (although we would like to think we are far removed & superior to the animal kingdom...we present probably a 1000 percent more likelyhood to kill ourselves & everything else on this planet compared to one breed of dog & the damage they could inflict.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2007, 02:50:03 PM »

and time and time again you've proven it is in your nature to open your mouth and share your idiotic opinions with those of us who could care less. Read a book and become educated before you say ignorant things with no basis...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2007, 02:58:53 PM »
nature?

let's talk about human nature first before we study & evaluate each breed of canine.

As humans (although we would like to think we are far removed & superior to the animal kingdom...we present probably a 1000 percent more likelyhood to kill ourselves & everything else on this planet compared to one breed of dog & the damage they could inflict.

yes. thats why we dont need dogs to make it even worse.
Z

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2007, 03:50:13 PM »
yes. thats why we dont need dogs to make it even worse.

Truly its more of a case of people such as yourself who don't have the time nor the knowledge to keep a dog... That is who don't deserve dogs. For christ sakes people have had dogs since medevil times. Why wouldn't you think that people shouldn't have dogs. You simply amaze me, sometimes you sound half way intelligent and others you sound like a complete idiot... Do you have issues within your head or what...

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2007, 03:55:48 PM »
Truly its more of a case of people such as yourself who don't have the time nor the knowledge to keep a dog... That is who don't deserve dogs. For christ sakes people have had dogs since medevil times. Why wouldn't you think that people shouldn't have dogs. You simply amaze me, sometimes you sound half way intelligent and others you sound like a complete idiot... Do you have issues within your head or what...

so are you suggesting that only people with 'time' and 'knowledge' should have dogs?
Z