Author Topic: Would Neil Peart be a better person if he was a huge bodyuilder?  (Read 10460 times)

jephrius

• Getbig III
  • PayDay
Re: Would Neil Peart be a better person if he was a huge bodyuilder?
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2012, 11:27:38 AM »
Rush has been my fave band since about '82, when I was 12. Can't say I listen to the band too much these days, but it will always be my all-time favourite (tied with another Canadian band, Annihilator).

Neil is one of rock's greatest drummers, no question. However, there are simply too many awesome drummers to single out just one as "the best".

The original drummer, John Rutsey, was ousted when his health became an issue. And besides, he wanted to continue in a more straight-ahead rock style than did Geddy and Alex.

John at a time (he's now dead) was pursuing bodybuilding but I don't think he ever had a desire to become a pro or anything.

It would be interesting to hear what Peart has to say about Rand these days. What his feelings are about her and her philosophies.  

Well, you're wrong. Hope this helps.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2012, 11:55:28 AM »
I don't know. I find it quite easy to say he's the best. Most rock drummer polls agree.

You could argue that Bonham created the "rock drummer", Moon was ahead of his time, or that drummers like Carey today are adding to what Neil did. You could even argue that a drummer like Portnoy has better chops, even.

But no one touches Peart - for musical composition, playing, technical prowess, and musicianship (I will say that he's not the best "showman" ala Moon or Portnoy or Buddy Rich - though we're not talking jazz drumming here. If we are, then there's Buddy Rich, and then everyone else). We'll agree to disagree. I say this as a drummer of 20 years. I wouldn't know my elbow from my ass in ranking guitarists, but it seems cut and dry to me.
JAZZ DRUMMER LOUIS BELLSON SP?neil and gonzo,,heck even phil collins was very good till he hung it up to sing,,,

Irongrip400

• Getbig V
  • Pan Germanism, Pax Britannica
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2012, 12:25:06 PM »
That's the guy! Thank you. I was too lazy to Google it. Everyone should do some blotter, window pane, microdot, or some old school acid and listen to 2112 at least once in your life. I did that probably 30-40 times.

Never heard it called windowpane or microdot. Only reason I knew what blotter was, was because of Fear and Loathing in las Vegas.

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2012, 12:31:37 PM »
Never heard it called windowpane or microdot. Only reason I knew what blotter was, was because of Fear and Loathing in las Vegas.

Yea it was a long time ago. Late 70's early 80's. I did my first acid with a bunch of buddies in shop class in 1976, I was 17 yrs old. It was chocolate mescaline. You snorted it. We were all tripping and using the lathe, radial arm saw, drill press, you name it. We made about 30 wooden pot pipes then sold them all at lunch to buy more mesc. It is amazing I still have all my fingers.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2012, 12:41:56 PM »
Yea it was a long time ago. Late 70's early 80's. I did my first acid with a bunch of buddies in shop class in 1976, I was 17 yrs old. It was chocolate mescaline. You snorted it. We were all tripping and using the lathe, radial arm saw, drill press, you name it. We made about 30 wooden pot pipes then sold them all at lunch to buy more mesc. It is amazing I still have all my fingers.
Windowpane is going way back. I heard it being reverently talked about when I dropped. Would have loved to try some.  :-\

BikiniSlut

• Getbig V
  • I'm dating and love Uncle Junior! Xoxoxo
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 12:46:36 PM »
Well, you're wrong. Hope this helps.

Actually, it doesn't.

Quit being a douche and elaborate.

And he's not wrong.....you are.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
  • Disdain/repugnance....Version 3: glare variation B
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 12:48:30 PM »
Freewill.

From 2:58 to 4:02 is Rush at the height of their powers, insane

Agnostic007

• Getbig V
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2012, 12:57:46 PM »
I don't know. I find it quite easy to say he's the best. Most rock drummer polls agree.

You could argue that Bonham created the "rock drummer", Moon was ahead of his time, or that drummers like Carey today are adding to what Neil did. You could even argue that a drummer like Portnoy has better chops, even.

But no one touches Peart - for musical composition, playing, technical prowess, and musicianship (I will say that he's not the best "showman" ala Moon or Portnoy or Buddy Rich - though we're not talking jazz drumming here. If we are, then there's Buddy Rich, and then everyone else). We'll agree to disagree. I say this as a drummer of 20 years. I wouldn't know my elbow from my ass in ranking guitarists, but it seems cut and dry to me.

Spot on.. as a former drummer of 25 yrs I couldn't have written a better post.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2012, 01:07:55 PM »

Excellent post. Peart is the choice for me as well. he had it all, and an other thing that is overlooked is the production value and tone of his drums, they just sounded good, unlike Carey of today, a great drummer but he has that shitty Nu-metal tone to his kit. Peart's tone was fat.

same with Bonham...had a great sound, instantly recognizable. and Bonham was a funky son of a bitch too, that dude laid down some beats that would make Dr Dre cream his pants.... "when the levee breaks" is monumental, I'm just waiting to hear that beat sampled by some hip-hop producer... but i think Zep doesn't play that shit

Dreadlifter

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2012, 02:51:01 PM »
I used to believe the hype about Peart being the best ever, but the more Rush i hear the less convinced i am.

Definitely up there with the best of them, there's no doubt.  Though i could choose a personal favourite, i don't think i could narrow it down to a numero uno of all time. There's no one drummer standing way ahead of the real, great drummers, but i could accept someone saying "so-and-so has the edge over the rest of the pack" if it was one of the true legends.

nefario

• Getbig III
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2012, 03:14:18 PM »
Peart's definitely one of the best.  Carmen Appice is another very solid drummer that deserves some mention.  Would probably have wider recognition if he'd played with less acts, though he did a fair bit with Vanilla Fudge.

Covering Zepp's Black Dog -

deadz

• Getbig V
  • Liberals..Dumbest People on the Planet! MAGA
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2012, 03:26:24 PM »
John Rutsey has been dead for awhile.  :-\

Neil Peart is perfect as is, as is Geddy and Alex. There is no better band than Rush.....no one even comes close.
They are good but no where near the best.
T

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2012, 04:47:59 PM »
Rush has been my fave band since about '82, when I was 12. Can't say I listen to the band too much these days, but it will always be my all-time favourite (tied with another Canadian band, Annihilator).

No love for Anvil?

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2012, 04:53:07 PM »
They are good but no where near the best.

Musically they were amazing, but Geddy Lee's singing got old quick, he sounded like a fairy

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2012, 04:53:45 PM »

outby43

• Getbig IV
  • Libertarians 2016
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2012, 04:54:17 PM »
Musically they were amazing, but Geddy Lee's singing got old quick, he sounded like a fairy

exactly

bighead

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2012, 04:57:42 PM »
Canada had so many great bands in the 80s and early 90's. I still cant figure out how THE TRAGICALLY HIP never made it big in the us. The usa chose to love the fkn barenaked ladies which had to be the most annoying shit band to come out of canada

Obvious Gimmick

• Getbig V
  • I'd hit it
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2012, 05:02:47 PM »
Im not a drummer, but the answer to questions like this is usually Big Dick Bob

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2012, 07:18:28 PM »
Canada had so many great bands in the 80s and early 90's. I still cant figure out how THE TRAGICALLY HIP never made it big in the us. The usa chose to love the fkn barenaked ladies which had to be the most annoying shit band to come out of canada
triumph had some good tunes and rik emmit played a mean lead,,,,rush early stuff all came together and hit big time with 2112 and then live album all the worlds a stage which took those early songs and beefed them up live culminating with peart's great drum solo on working man,,then few more record's with better production again highliting in nthat group there groundbreaker sales wise moving pictures which is a kid's dream cd in early 80's every song a hit or great hard rock classic again a live album tying in those discs then exit stage left,,,again stellar drum solo yyz,,,,then signals and some heavy synth rock stuff people got a bit bored but a good live album again see a pattern here ,,show of hands is decent but great drum solo again live ,,,,next 10 or so yrs they have gone back to signiture sound and a few more live discs lol,,,,,

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2012, 07:24:15 PM »
Watching Rush right now on VH1. Time Machie 2011 live in Cleveland. Neil's drum set is sick there is shit everywhere.

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: July 06, 2012, 07:27:59 PM »
triumph had some good tunes and rik emmit played a mean lead,,,,rush early stuff all came together and hit big time with 2112 and then live album all the worlds a stage which took those early songs and beefed them up live culminating with peart's great drum solo on working man,,then few more record's with better production again highliting in nthat group there groundbreaker sales wise moving pictures which is a kid's dream cd in early 80's every song a hit or great hard rock classic again a live album tying in those discs then exit stage left,,,again stellar drum solo yyz,,,,then signals and some heavy synth rock stuff people got a bit bored but a good live album again see a pattern here ,,show of hands is decent but great drum solo again live ,,,,next 10 or so yrs they have gone back to signiture sound and a few more live discs lol,,,,,

Yeah Rush lost me after "moving pictures"  they got too synthy and proggy. I liked "Hemishperes" and "permanent waves" the best out of their records

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #46 on: July 06, 2012, 07:28:08 PM »
Watching Rush right now on VH1. Time Machie 2011 live in Cleveland. Neil's drum set is sick there is shit everywhere.
70's and 80's it was larger it looked like part rock/classic symphony stuff all over and around,,,sickest drums from 70's era was probably carl palmer and smallest but biggest sound bohnam hands down.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2012, 07:30:41 PM »
Yeah Rush lost me after "moving pictures"  they got too synthy and proggy. I liked "Hemishperes" and "permanent waves" the best out of their records
right bro ,,,moving pictures had cool synth but hard rock sound 'arena rock'then,,,hemisheres has some great tunes,,permanent waves actually could have out done moving pictures they started there getting bigger ,,,farewell to kings has got some stuff on there too they were still into space stuff there from 2112...

Palpatine Q

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2012, 07:34:02 PM »
right bro ,,,moving pictures had cool synth but hard rock sound 'arena rock'then,,,hemisheres has some great tunes,,permanent waves actually could have out done moving pictures they started there getting bigger ,,,farewell to kings has got some stuff on there too they were still into space stuff there from 2112...

Yep....."moving pictures" is their big record, and has some great tunes "red Barchetta" being my favorite...but for my money "permanent waves" was the better album.

gym**rat

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: July 06, 2012, 07:35:07 PM »

Caress of Steel was an incredible album, give it a listen if you haven't.