Author Topic: WSM 1979  (Read 7203 times)

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
WSM 1979
« on: November 08, 2013, 10:13:02 AM »
Thanks to Robert Forbes for posting this extended video of the 1979 Worlds strongest man contest,and wait till who you see at 11.30 mark with a water bottle.Maybe Robert Zuver was there to see this as it happened.

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: WSM 1979
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2013, 10:38:27 AM »

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2013, 12:49:01 PM »
Thanks to Robert Forbes for posting this extended video of the 1979 Worlds strongest man contest,and wait till who you see at 11.30 mark with a water bottle.Maybe Robert Zuver was there to see this as it happened.

Wow
This brings back memory's.
This was the third and final WSM Show that (Dad) Bob Zuver was The Commissioner Of Strength and that we worked.  Thinking back on the 79 show the highlight for me was The Legend Bill Pearl blowing up and popping that Hot water bottle. The Crowd went wild. wouldn't you enjoy seeing a Champion like Bill Pearl do something fun like that?   Bill was a friend to dad and was the very First Name in Zuver's Gym Big Visitors Guest Book. He is one of the most gifted Bodybuilders I've ever known.  I'm so happy that A Great Legend like Bill is still with us and in great health.
Thanks my friend for taking me back in time.
RZ

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2013, 01:14:27 PM »
All three WSM Shows we did were a lot of fun. It was a lot of work but fun just the same.
I miss though's days and all the great guys we got to work with. It was for TV. Things needed to be entertaining. I thought we did a good job of giving them fun events to do. We tried to make everything safe and sound so nobody got hurt.  Sadly Franco tripped and dislocated his leg. That one was on my watch in 77.
Oops. There are things you just can't control.

In the 1980 show the size of the competitors doubled. It's now a game for only the biggest guys on earth.
For me the very first 1977 show was the most entertaining because of the different talent that competed.
Small guys against Big guys,  Powerlifter's against Wrestlers,  Bodybuilders Against Them All.
That made it fun and entertaining.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2013, 01:55:51 PM »
i liked it better with the early format of competitors in all the different strength sports going against each other.would have liked to have seen how this guy would have done.
F

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 04:38:19 AM »
I agree Robert,the highlight for me was seeing Bill blow up the water bottle,and all at the age of 50.I just think that the early ones were more "pure",now you have too many pick up and run races and there will be 0.01 difference between 1st and 2nd.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2013, 08:50:51 AM »
I agree Robert,the highlight for me was seeing Bill blow up the water bottle,and all at the age of 50.I just think that the early ones were more "pure",now you have too many pick up and run races and there will be 0.01 difference between 1st and 2nd.

Well if you notice the entertainment value isn't there now that was in the first three.
In the first show 1977 CBS showed a series of 7 shows for 7 weeks.

It's the only one people remember because it had star football players, star Bodybuilders, star shot putters, wrestlers, Powerlifter's, weight lifters, and the Judges were all superstars in there own rite.

Lets start with The True Worlds Strongest Man and Legend Paul Anderson. Or legend bodybuilder Tommy Kono, Powerlifter David Shaw,  or John Terpek, or weightlifter Hal Connely.  There were more in the back ground that most don't even know we're there.

That one show had more press coverage than all the WSM Shows sense put together.  Now it's a one hour show and the public don't care about watching it.  Watched once and forgotten the next day.  

The 77, 78, and 79 shows are still being talked about today after 36 years. All the rest I couldn't even tell you there names.

We're you one of the lucky ones that saw any of the first three in person?
If so you were one of the lucky ones to see the best of the best.
They are great memories for me.

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 09:30:32 AM »
i also remember an early strongest man in the nfl contest won by iron mike webster, jon kolb was second. others competeing were lyle alzado, robert young, steve furness and a few others. it was written up in ironman mag.
F

crownshep

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2013, 10:52:50 AM »
The first strongman contest i saw over here in England was Britains strongest man won by Geoff Capes and i remember the 1980 WSM because of Kaz and his intense psyching up he did,the 77,78 and 79 ones were never shown over here.

Robert Zuver

• Getbig III
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2013, 03:04:15 PM »
The first strongman contest i saw over here in England was Britains strongest man won by Geoff Capes and i remember the 1980 WSM because of Kaz and his intense psyching up he did,the 77,78 and 79 ones were never shown over here.

Wow
That's to bad the first three shows were not shown over there.  They were the best.
In 79 The Kaz was the star as well. He was a hell of competitor.   
The photo is of Friend and Champion Powerlifter Terry Todd,  The Kaz, And Ladies Champion Powerlifter Jan Todd.

Powerlift66

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2013, 04:12:35 AM »
The 1st 3 were my favorite as well, historical stuff...

funk51

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2013, 08:59:43 AM »
somebody should put a dvd out of the first 4 WSM contests.
F