Author Topic: What's the point of working your ass off your whole life?  (Read 22806 times)

Megalodon

• Getbig V
Re: What's the point of working your ass off your whole life?
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2014, 06:41:02 AM »
Become self employed if possible. "Work" should be a passion.

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2014, 06:49:03 AM »
Nope.  From brain surgery to ditch digging, the more time you log the better you get.  Interestingly, this also means you can charge more since you're more productive and produce a better quality result.   

I'm with you on not spending money frivolously.  "Don't waste money" isn't amazingly insightful financial advice tho.

It just sounds like you hate what you do, fella.  Contemplate this.

Sounds dated and John Wayneesque.

Would you go to work if you got the same pay as if you didnt go ?

Papper

• Getbig V
  • Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do.
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2014, 06:49:39 AM »
That story is awesome

It is not reality but it's healthy food for thought

I think many would be happier not to plan to be happy 15-20 years in to the future

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2014, 07:03:08 AM »
Sounds dated and John Wayneesque.

That's me.  Pilgrim.

Would you go to work if you got the same pay as if you didnt go ?

I don't understand the question.  Any job would pay more than dole/welfare, doesn't it?  If not then you're free from judging the work on the basis of its earnings and can make decisions based strictly on whether or not you're interested in the field.

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2014, 07:07:23 AM »

An American businessman was standing at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish.

“How long it took you to catch them?” The American asked.

“Only a little while.” The Mexican replied.

“Why don’t you stay out longer and catch more fish?” The American then asked.

“I have enough to support my family’s immediate needs.” The Mexican said.

“But,” The American then asked, “What do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life, senor.”

The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds you buy a bigger boat, and with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats.”

“Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the consumers, eventually opening your own can factory. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But senor, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15-20 years.”

“But what then, senor?”

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO (Initial Public Offering) and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions.”

“Millions, senor? Then what?”

The American said slowly, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos…”

Haha, I've heard this same story, except it began, "There was a fisherman tying up his little boat in a small Greek village..."

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 07:08:32 AM »
That's me.  Pilgrim.

I don't understand the question. 

Hypothetically, if your company made it optional to show up or not ?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2014, 07:13:49 AM »
Sounds like a bunch of underachieving lazy bums trying to justify their life style while making fun of those with a work ethic. Keep voting Democrat and maybe they will take more taxes out of the producers to help you out. Remember those nice vacations and car you wouldn't be able to afford if you weren't living free in your Mom's house.  Houses cost money. Food, house taxes, cars, electricity, heat, furniture, water, vacations, taking care of children, and the list goes on cost money. Have you figured what it cost to feed a family of just 4 for a month?

I worked hard working all kinds of crazy shifts sometimes driving over 100 miles to work. What did I get for this? A 3000 sq ft house that excludes the other 1500sq ft that I have for a  gym with an in ground pool. Two new cars and I retired at 52.

No one is going to give you anything. Work is called work. I know some of you won't work because you think your college degree entitles you to an office with a secretary. No it entitles you to an entry level job that you can work up from. A college degree today is the high school diploma of my youth.

Tapeworm

• Getbig V
  • Hold Fast
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2014, 07:18:07 AM »
Hypothetically, if your company made it optional to show up or not ?

This is a very silly conversation now and you know it.

If you like art, study art and work in an art oriented joint.  If you like machines, work with machines.  Just decide how you want to spend your time and make some money dude.  It ain't that bad.  It doesn't sound you're stuck out on the Serengeti somewhere with actual problems.  Cowboy up.

TEH boob

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2014, 07:21:26 AM »
Sounds like a bunch of underachieving lazy bums trying to justify their life style while making fun of those with a work ethic. Keep voting Democrat and maybe they will take more taxes out of the producers to help you out. Remember those nice vacations and car you wouldn't be able to afford if you weren't living free in your Mom's house.  Houses cost money. Food, house taxes, cars, electricity, heat, furniture, water, vacations, taking care of children, and the list goes on cost money. Have you figured what it cost to feed a family of just 4 for a month?

I worked hard working all kinds of crazy shifts sometimes driving over 100 miles to work. What did I get for this? A 3000 sq ft house that excludes the other 1500sq ft that I have for a  gym with an in ground pool. Two new cars and I retired at 52.

No one is going to give you anything. Work is called work. I know some of you won't work because you think your college degree entitles you to an office with a secretary. No it entitles you to an entry level job that you can work up from. A college degree today is the high school diploma of my youth.

I think they're talking about work being inherently valued vs. Work as a means to an end.

Didn't really get the vibe that people were lazy, just unhappy.

And I can't wait to be wealthy, do I get to vote republican then? I heard dat dere democrats are lazy pieces of shit

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 07:21:51 AM »
Sounds very boring compared to 6 months of backpacking around the world.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 07:29:22 AM »
I think they're talking about work being inherently valued vs. Work as a means to an end.

Didn't really get the vibe that people were lazy, just unhappy.

And I can't wait to be wealthy, do I get to vote republican then? I heard dat dere democrats are lazy pieces of shit

Consider this. When they looked at personal wealth, the Democrats in congress had more  when compared to the Republicans. Also the Democrats had way more donations from big business that includes Wall Street traded companies then we have to consider which side is the party of the rich.

The Abdominal Snoman

• Getbig V
  • DON'T BE A TRAITOR TO YOUR TRIBE
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2014, 07:41:26 AM »
Earth is a slave realm. If everyone did what you say and worked much less, the Hierarchy in charge would simply make the necessary adjustments to the basics in life and make it next to impossible to achieve...In America people already need a fishing license or a hunting license to do so...They would just raise the price to get a license through the roof if everyone was doing it. $50,000 for a fishing license. $100,000 for a hunting license etc...Life in prison for anyone who tries to go around that system. The amount of things they can do to keep the masses from living an easy life are endless.

JOHN MATRIX

• Getbig V
  • the Media is the Problem
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2014, 08:01:25 AM »
Why do people spend so much time at work.

Why not spend less on house, car and stupid stuff, and work less ?

That extra time could be spent with friends, family, excercising, making healthy meals, engaging in hobbies and interests, talking a walk, trekking and camping, fishing, hunting, travel. I mean, just living your life...

Are we brainwashed by the system from early age. Having to spend most of the day in school and then do homework. Like that we should not develop time comsuming interests that could conflict future working "career".
The media and commercials brainwash us into this comsumer spending trap. But I am starting to wonder if it really makes us happy.

Exactly...this makes sense. However most people are so hopelessy indoctrinated they have zero ability to actually think for themselves.

Whenever i try to point these things out to someone, the reaction is always a brief silence coupled with a confused stare...followed by them falling back to the old standby of 'thats weird...no..thats just crazy..no.uh..uh...just no'

Most people are sheep and need to be told what to do and what to think.

ProudVirgin69

• Getbig V
  • hardcore redneck electric champion
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2014, 08:18:25 AM »
Balance is key, as in all aspects of life.  Some truly enjoy the successes of their labors.  Being very good at what you do is enjoyable for most people.

But time is really the only TRUE luxury, simply because you can't buy more of it.  Sacrificing time with your family for work is a shame for all involved.

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2014, 08:20:56 AM »
You should worry less about what makes "us" happy and what makes yourself happy.

Tito24

• Getbig V
  • I'm a large man but.. one with a plan
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2014, 08:26:24 AM »
i could understand someone would work his ass off all of his life only if he had more than just one life.

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2014, 08:40:43 AM »
I think that working full time is something from the past when it was necessary for most just to survive.

Today food and stuff made in China are cheaper than ever.

People will realize that they can afford a good life today on less money.

dustin

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2014, 08:41:26 AM »
I work hard as fuck but don't plug in much more than 40 hours a week at work. Then I work outside of my main job tutoring the homestay students we have. Wife is in school full time and sometimes she works too. People wonder why we plug away so hard, but when they come over to see that we have a new home that's beautifully furnished, half paid off with two cars and other assets they quickly realize why.

People always freak out and say "ohhh, you're wasting your best years" but everyone else our age just drinks half the nights of the week and spends their days hung over. Maybe they might vacation once or twice per year... yeah.... that's really living it up. Then you hear them complain that their water heater's broken and their landlord isn't fixing it quickly enough. I don't have those problems because I am the lord of the land.

I ain't smart, I know people WAY more successful than myself and a lot younger. But once I started to catch onto adult living and got a firm hold on my finances, it really changed my outlook. My wife will have a great career soon and we'll be making fuckloads more money. I'm only just starting to invest and diversify my portfolio, starting with the basics like retirement funds and doing things like putting money into tax free savings accounts. People just have a chequing account and never budget, never saving any money and just living paycheque to paycheque even though they make the same amount as someone else who's got way more assets. A little knowledge and discipline is all it takes to really get your money working for you. Make sure you value ever dollar and don't squander it. If I can put it somewhere and let it grow compound interest, that's what I'm gonna do with it. A lot of people have shitty lives because they're simply ignorant. I'm only just catching onto this shit and feeling good about working hard. As I get older and I lose that desire, I'll be able to afford working less. As long as the momentum holds up, I'm going to keep working my nuggets off and stop once I get fed up. I just wish I knew a lot of this shit way earlier and I would have worked harder and smarter from a younger age!

Voice of Doom

• Getbig IV
  • Everything is under control.
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2014, 08:51:45 AM »

An American businessman was standing at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The American complimented the Mexican on the quality of his fish.

“How long it took you to catch them?” The American asked.

“Only a little while.” The Mexican replied.

“Why don’t you stay out longer and catch more fish?” The American then asked.

“I have enough to support my family’s immediate needs.” The Mexican said.

“But,” The American then asked, “What do you do with the rest of your time?”

The Mexican fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take a siesta with my wife, Maria, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine and play guitar with my amigos, I have a full and busy life, senor.”

The American scoffed, “I am a Harvard MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds you buy a bigger boat, and with the proceeds from the bigger boat you could buy several boats, eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats.”

“Instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would sell directly to the consumers, eventually opening your own can factory. You would control the product, processing and distribution. You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then LA and eventually NYC where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The Mexican fisherman asked, “But senor, how long will this all take?”

To which the American replied, “15-20 years.”

“But what then, senor?”

The American laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO (Initial Public Offering) and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich, you would make millions.”

“Millions, senor? Then what?”

The American said slowly, “Then you would retire. Move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take a siesta with your wife, stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos…”

awww that's a great story about how Jose is smarter and living the life while Bill Gringo is a fool working himself towards an early death.
 Just a couple of questions though.

1. What does Jose do when he doesn't catch all the fish he needs to feed his family for the day?
Answer - He goes to the supermarket and buys fish.  Those fish were supplied by Bill Gringo who risked personal capital
(i.e. his family's fish) to setup a fishing industry and bring in excess fish to local supermarkets.
2. What does Jose do when there's a change in the fish migration patterns and he can't go out anymore and catch enough to feed his family?
Answer - He takes his fishing skills to the local fishing company and gets hired.  This company, of course, was setup by Bill Gringo as part of his expansion in Mexico plan.  It provides Jose and hundreds of other smart/happy/living life well folks a job.
3. Uh oh!  Jose's wife Maria is sick from the mercury poisoning of eating fish every day.  What does Jose do?!
Answer - He takes her down to the local hospital's new women's health wing (financed in part by donations from Bill Gringo's company) and gets her treatment.  Her treatment is affordable because Bill Gringo provides generous Healthcare benefits for his employees.
4. Uh Oh again!  Jose is out fishing for himself one day and gets his arm bitten off by a shark.  What does he do now that he can't fish and feed his family?
Answer - He applies at the local unemployment office for benefits!  Those benefits are available because Bill Gringo's company matches all employee tax liabilities.  His company also increases the local tax bases in Jose's area so there's a safety net for the unemployed.
5.  Jose gotten too old to fish anymore and of course he doesn't have any savings.  His sons are forced to fish extra to support him and Maria.  They don't get to enjoy life like their papa did with sleeping late, siestas, playing with their kids because of the extra work they do now for Jose. 
  But Jose can look back at his life and laugh at Bill Gringo.  All Bill Gringo can do in retirement is see that he created jobs and wealth for hundreds of people.  Those people spent their wealth buying goods that created more jobs.  He created a business that provided tax monies to governments that used the money to build schools for Jose's kids, hospitals, parks, roads etc. 
  His public offering attracted lots of investments from middle class families.  Because of the business acumen he got from Harvard  he was able to provide a return on those investments for decades.  Those returns allowed lots of people to live better than they were before and to accumulate savings so their kids didn't have to fish extra for them.  Some of them even took vacations to a small little village in Mexico where they got to hear charming stories from a wise local fisherman about how they've wasted their lives....

kofo

• Getbig II
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2014, 10:54:34 AM »
I work hard as fuck but don't plug in much more than 40 hours a week at work. Then I work outside of my main job tutoring the homestay students we have. Wife is in school full time and sometimes she works too. People wonder why we plug away so hard, but when they come over to see that we have a new home that's beautifully furnished, half paid off with two cars and other assets they quickly realize why.

People always freak out and say "ohhh, you're wasting your best years" but everyone else our age just drinks half the nights of the week and spends their days hung over. Maybe they might vacation once or twice per year... yeah.... that's really living it up. Then you hear them complain that their water heater's broken and their landlord isn't fixing it quickly enough. I don't have those problems because I am the lord of the land.

I ain't smart, I know people WAY more successful than myself and a lot younger. But once I started to catch onto adult living and got a firm hold on my finances, it really changed my outlook. My wife will have a great career soon and we'll be making fuckloads more money. I'm only just starting to invest and diversify my portfolio, starting with the basics like retirement funds and doing things like putting money into tax free savings accounts. People just have a chequing account and never budget, never saving any money and just living paycheque to paycheque even though they make the same amount as someone else who's got way more assets. A little knowledge and discipline is all it takes to really get your money working for you. Make sure you value ever dollar and don't squander it. If I can put it somewhere and let it grow compound interest, that's what I'm gonna do with it. A lot of people have shitty lives because they're simply ignorant. I'm only just catching onto this shit and feeling good about working hard. As I get older and I lose that desire, I'll be able to afford working less. As long as the momentum holds up, I'm going to keep working my nuggets off and stop once I get fed up. I just wish I knew a lot of this shit way earlier and I would have worked harder and smarter from a younger age!

The drive to have a big house seems to be a very strong genetic programing. If not, then why would so many make it their no1 priority in life.

mik1111

• Getbig III
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2014, 10:56:49 AM »
I'm feeling pity for you.
Your job clearly sucks. That's not how it should have gone down, had you been smarter.

and lol @ exercising ahahahah

ESFitness

• Getbig V
  • i win.
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2014, 11:01:49 AM »
Why do people spend so much time at work.

Why not spend less on house, car and stupid stuff, and work less ?

That extra time could be spent with friends, family, excercising, making healthy meals, engaging in hobbies and interests, talking a walk, trekking and camping, fishing, hunting, travel. I mean, just living your life...

Are we brainwashed by the system from early age. Having to spend most of the day in school and then do homework. Like that we should not develop time comsuming interests that could conflict future working "career".
The media and commercials brainwash us into this comsumer spending trap. But I am starting to wonder if it really makes us happy.

because life is about enjoying yourself.

you only live once.

do you want to live your entire life 'wanting' that big leather sectional, instead of that tiny microfiber one?

or wanting a king bed, instead you settle for a queen?

or driving a Honda accord and resenting the guys in the S Class Mercedes?

or watching tv on your little 42in plasma and resenting your friends when they have a 65in plasma?

you know how to get those things? you fucking work! and make good choices and investments in both time and money.

lazy motherfuckers never get shit... spend all their time worrying about what other people have and hoping "if only I'd win the lottery".

suck it up and work your ass off.. work harder than the other guy.. take risks.

fucking crybabies... you don't want to work? fine.. be poor and have shitty, cheap things, but shut the fuck up about everybody else who actually wants to enjoy their success.

Megalodon

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2014, 11:06:19 AM »
"If you work for a living why do you kill yourself working?"

Good bad ugly deleted scene from the original release:

dustin

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2014, 11:38:07 AM »
The drive to have a big house seems to be a very strong genetic programing. If not, then why would so many make it their no1 priority in life.

I don't think people should do what others expect, they should do what they want. I didn't plan on buying a home at an early age but we played our cards and things worked out extremely well. The income from homestay students and tutoring pays my mortgage, utilities, car loan, etc. So what I make at my day job goes to investments and other shit. I'm putting away max contributions towards retirement and everything else I save goes into tax free savings and other entry-level investments. The housing market is booming too and my property value shot up tremendously. So there was a lot of luck there too. If I wasn't so frivolous with my spending and didn't do stupid shit like buying a new car I could be even further ahead.

I think because people don't keep track of their finances they suffer as a result. That's probably why it feels like they're being slave driven. I don't feel like that. I'm excited. I don't "enjoy" working, but I enjoy how comfortable things are getting for myself and my family. I feel a lot of energy and momentum driving me to work harder and harder. And whenever I start to feel burnt out, I'll just scale back how much I work and will be financially secure because I'm not pissing my money away like an idiot. I try to make all my money work for me, and if it's not working for me I make sure to hold onto it and not spend it frivolously.

My neighbor is a nurse and just bought her third house at 23. Her boyfriend works from home part time and they're planning on buying another house. They work hard as fuck but will be able to pay off their investments with the income they generate. Their homes will be paid off with ease. They're working hard now while all their friends get shit faced, but they'll be laughing when they retire early and enjoy the fruits of their labor. I feel that when you're young, you have the energy and drive to work hard. I don't feel like I'm "wasting my good years" at all. If I could get another job to make more money, I would definitely hit that up while I'm still young.

Shockwave

• Getbig V
  • Decepticons! Scramble!
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2014, 11:58:09 AM »
No, not the case at all. Get a wife who is similarly driven, and make money.  Then, invest this money, and make more money.  I could not have what I have without me and my wife as a team.  I know it sounds gay, but it really works for us.  We do what we want in our spare time, and don't really have to think about anything before we buy it.  We pretty much do hat we want.  Before, when I was single, I didn't really have the same goals.  It was going out, drinking, chasing pussy, and doing the occasional cocaine, lol.  I know that might sound like fun, but I can honestly tell you, that having an end goal, with a partner, is something that is really cool.  You just have to find that person who compliments you and drives you to be better.
Im with you bro. My life before my family (which consisted of working just enough to fund my partying/mild womanizing) seems empty and holllow compared to the life ive built with my wife.

having a good partner and building a family is an amazing and deeply satisfying experience. I cant imagine going through life alone anymore, when I was younger I thought id never get married, and thay getting married and having kids was gay as fuck. Its not, at all. My wife completes me.