Author Topic: Packers now shopping favre for a trade  (Read 11661 times)

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
  • I can spot crazy pussy....
Re: Packers now shopping favre for a trade
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2008, 12:30:59 PM »
Chicago has never had a QB worth a shit as far as I know. Maybe some of the die-hard Bear fans can rattle names from the 50's and 60's butin the last 30 years?

Jim Mcmahon was probably the best in the last 30 years. And he was made of glass. Always on the disabled list.

SinCitysmallGUY

• Getbig V
  • FIST-ta-CUFF Radio
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2008, 08:48:13 AM »
Chicago has never had a QB worth a shit as far as I know. Maybe some of the die-hard Bear fans can rattle names from the 50's and 60's butin the last 30 years?

Jim Mcmahon was probably the best in the last 30 years. And he was made of glass. Always on the disabled list.

That's why I said "It's  been 20 fucking years and I still wouldn't say we had that great of a QB." That is one thing I wish we could get, we also need to  keep a fucking back, and thank god for Devin and his run backs, that's the best part of the O. I am a die hard Chicago fan and will never change my team, but they have done some stupid things as of late! I was pissed when they let Tank go, and the last two backs released made me a little upset. They weren't that great, but they were better then the third string. I just hope the kid does big things his rookie year.

Beefjake

• Getbig IV
  • Oh fuck it.
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 10:44:18 PM »
Oh, I just remembered on litlle thing...

What about the curse?

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2008, 08:07:12 AM »
I think the curse has already been handed down to the entire Packers organization.

Brett will come out of this looking like the winner. When it's all said and done, the Packers caved in and gave Brett everything he wanted in the first place.

Do you think there is actually a chance that Brett won't win the Packers starting QB job?

Please.... ::)

body88

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2008, 12:07:35 PM »
I think the curse has already been handed down to the entire Packers organization.

Brett will come out of this looking like the winner. When it's all said and done, the Packers caved in and gave Brett everything he wanted in the first place.

Do you think there is actually a chance that Brett won't win the Packers starting QB job?

Please.... ::)

He was already told Rogers would start...... I bet they trade him to the Vikings. Reports had them in talks on Friday.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2008, 02:22:45 PM »
Yep, just read that also.

But a trade to the Vikings? I just don't think the Packers are that stupid to trade him to a division opponent. It's just not realistic to think that will happen.

I mean, it COULD happen but that would be a very bad move for the Packers.

Favre with the Vikings= instant SuperBowl contender.

body88

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2008, 03:13:08 PM »
Yep, just read that also.

But a trade to the Vikings? I just don't think the Packers are that stupid to trade him to a division opponent. It's just not realistic to think that will happen.

I mean, it COULD happen but that would be a very bad move for the Packers.

Favre with the Vikings= instant SuperBowl contender.

The Vikings and the packers have been talking since Friday. People are apprehensive to give up to much for Farve, because they know the packers are going to have to let him go if they cant find a partner soon. The packers are screwed.....Farve is really acting like an asshole. Shit,they offered the guy 20 million to retire, they are desperate.

Trust me, when I first posted that, any sane football fan would call me nuts. I heard from a reliable source at the time, that they where talking, and it turned out to be true.  I thought the Jets might go after him, but I'm not sure if they will give up what it takes to get him, and ditch their plan of rebuilding from the draft.

They could be doing it to get a trade partner to bite, or they could really be trying to work out a deal with the Vikes. Obv the Vikes would give up a lot to get him. I would think McKinney would be in the conversation.

Option D

• Getbig V
  • Kelly the Con Way
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2008, 03:15:40 PM »

Yeah my in laws live in Chicago, my father in law is an old guy that lives for his sports. He said that Orton and Chokemen where doing horrible.  He was telling me how they were both throwing tons of INT's. We never have had a QB. It's  been 20 fucking years and I still wouldn't say we had that great of a QB. My father in law and myself are always arguing about the QB set up in Chicago. I would rather throw my faith in Orton and let him get killed or step up to the plate. The old guy thinks that since Grossman has a winning record he should keep the job, my only issuee, Grossman  doesn't have a winning record the defense does. :-X :-X

When horton was under center what was his record

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2008, 06:53:49 PM »
supposedly he is talking to the bucs now, honestly if he doesnt get traded within another week or so iono if its even worth it for him. I think anything less than a confrence championship for whatever team he does play for has got to be looked at as a failure, especially if he retires after this season. Its gotta be hard moving to another team, learning new coaches, learning new players. So if he doesnt get in somewhere else soon i dont see him playing at all to be honest. If he was smart and could swallow his pride hed go sit on the bench in green bay and wait out the first half of the first game and from then on he would probably be the starter. I agree body88 he is being an ass and a little bitch about things

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2008, 06:07:56 AM »
All if have to say to that is this...When the Pats' starting cornerback is Fernando Bryant, a player that couldn't hang on with the defensive starved Lions, that spells trouble.

Your secondary is going to be hurting this year. Lewis Sanders is an avergae NFL starter, Rodney Harrison is 50 years old but a tremendous locker room leader. And the jury is still out on whether Brandon Merriweather can adjust to Belichek's defensive schemes and win a starting job.

True, but they're gonna score 800 points this season, right? 

Tre

• Expert
  • Getbig V
  • "What you don't have is a career."
« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2008, 06:13:52 AM »
I know all about defense, the patriots have had several of the best over the last 8 years. The colts are an offensive team, yet they won the sb the year before, against a great bears d. Their defense sucked that year. The patriots defense needs to be good. They don't have to have a dominant d to win a championship, they have to have a good one. I would take a good defense, and a world class offensive, over a piss poor offense, and a world class defense. They wont allow 20 points a game, not over one player leaving. They got better on d. Btw, the pats secondary and lb's had little to do with the pats losing the sb, it was the offensive line.

The Patriots not-so-great defense kept the Giants off the scoreboard, too. 

You're right - with that offense, the Patriots defense only needs to be good in order to give them a real shot at a title.

The only team to ever win the SB with a piss poor offense and world-class defense were the Ravens, right?  There's a reason it's only happened once. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2008, 11:34:24 AM »

You're right - with that offense, the Patriots defense only needs to be good in order to give them a real shot at a title.

The only team to ever win the SB with a piss poor offense and world-class defense were the Ravens, right?  There's a reason it's only happened once. 

Correct, but I wouldn't catergorize the 2000 Raven's offense as 'piss poor' as you call it. The beginning of the season  was rough where they went 5 games without scoring an offensive touchdown. They Ravens won 3 of those games, by the way. But by the end of the season, rookie Jamal Lewis ran for 1,300+ yards and 9 TD's. Quadry Ismail had 1,000 yard receiving yards season with 6 td's and Trent Dilfer really flourished during the last half of the season. Dilfer didn't win games for the Ravens, he simply didn't lose them. And the Ravens put up 34 points in the Superbowl against the Giants.

We'll call the 2000 Ravens's offense average. It just seems piss poor in comparison to the dominating defense they had that year. The best ever, in my opinion.

body88

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2008, 02:47:46 PM »

World class offense, with a good defense......over a World Class defense with a decent offense all day long.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2008, 06:37:36 PM »
The latter will win more championships every time. Defense wins championships. You can't lose if you don't allow the opponent's offense to score and you force turnovers. The formula works, the 2000 Ravens are proof. Same with the 2002 Bucs.

Of course it's a matter of opinion because both ways have worked. I just prefer defensive-minded games as opposed to high-scoring games.

tonymctones

• Getbig V
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2008, 09:35:51 PM »
TRADED TO THE JETS BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :o :o :o

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
  • I am. The most interesting man in the world. (Not)
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2008, 11:43:40 PM »
Good.  It's too bad these aging stars cannot retire gracefully. 

Decker

• Getbig V
« Reply #41 on: August 07, 2008, 04:59:01 AM »
Good.  It's too bad these aging stars cannot retire gracefully. 
You're long in the tooth like me, do you recall any trade or acquisition of an aging QB that has put any team 'over the top'?

Unitas didn't do it.  Tarkenton didn't do it.  Montana didn't do it.  McNair didn't do it. 

I don't think Favre will do it either.

If the Jets try to trade Favre to any north division team, the Jets will have to surrender 3 first round picks to the pack so Favre will not come back to haunt his old team.

body88

« Reply #42 on: August 07, 2008, 05:49:53 AM »
You're long in the tooth like me, do you recall any trade or acquisition of an aging QB that has put any team 'over the top'?

Unitas didn't do it.  Tarkenton didn't do it.  Montana didn't do it.  McNair didn't do it. 

If the Jets try to trade Favre to any north division team, the Jets will have to surrender 3 first round picks to the pack so Favre will not come back to haunt his old team.

The Jets where a 4 - 12 team last year. Lets say Farve is good for 5 wins (thats on the high side). They are looking at 9 - 7 - 10 - 6  BEST case scenario. Farve wont have a lot of time to learn the Jets d, and he has never been in a place where the media and the fans will RIP him ifhe does not perform. Honestly, Farve is a good player, but the fact that the packers let him walk says it all.

I think the jets went from average to slighty above average. Still wont be enough to beat the pats IMO.

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #43 on: August 07, 2008, 07:43:15 AM »

Unitas didn't do it.  Tarkenton didn't do it.  Montana didn't do itMcNair didn't do it. 

If you qualify putting a team 'over the top' as a new QB taking a new team to the SuperBowl and winning it, which is very unrealistic to do in one year, then I'll agree with you.

But in hindsight, you're wrong about Montana and Mcnair. Montana took the Chiefs to the division title, won two playoff games and put the Chiefs in the AFC championship game in one year, and a wildcard the second year. Not too bad.

Steve Mcnair took the Ravens to the division title and a 13-3 record in one year.

I agree with Body88 that Favre should make the jets at least 5 wins better. But until the season plays itself out....

none of us know dick yet.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2008, 11:05:27 AM »

I agree.  I doubt he puts them over the top, but the NFL is so mediocre, you never know.  Parity sucks.   :-\  (Get rid of the salary cap and bring back Eddie DeBartolo!) 

I can see Favre doing for the Jets what Montana did for the Chiefs:  take them deep into the playoffs.  One problem will be Favre's playoff performances have not been good. 

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2008, 11:18:38 AM »
I agree.  I doubt he puts them over the top, but the NFL is so mediocre, you never know.  Parity sucks.   :-\  (Get rid of the salary cap and bring back Eddie DeBartolo!) 

I can see Favre doing for the Jets what Montana did for the Chiefs:  take them deep into the playoffs.  One problem will be Favre's playoff performances have not been good. 

Strongly disagree with you here, Beach Bum. Parity is what makes the NFL so great now. Each year a team has a chance to come out of nowhere and go far and above expectations. The salary cap is what put an end to dynasties such as the 49ers of the 80's and the Cowboys of the 90's. After awhile, you get sick and tired of the same teams winning year after year(unless of course, your a 49ers or Cowboys fan). Debartolo was a great owner for the 49ers but he spent huge amounts of money on players every season. Other smaller market teams couldn't compete financially. Now with the salary cap and the profit sharing, the playing field has been leveled out, so to speak. And the NFL is more popular than ever because of it.

And there is nothing mediocre about the NFL in this day and age. The players are more talented than ever. Bigger, faster, stronger, and smarter. I got to say that some of the great teams in the past few years would absolutely dominate some of the great dynasty teams of yesteryear, IMO.

But that's a separate argument and another thread topic altogether.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2008, 11:39:04 AM »
Strongly disagree with you here, Beach Bum. Parity is what makes the NFL so great now. Each year a team has a chance to come out of nowhere and go far and above expectations. The salary cap is what put an end to dynasties such as the 49ers of the 80's and the Cowboys of the 90's. After awhile, you get sick and tired of the same teams winning year after year(unless of course, your a 49ers or Cowboys fan). Debartolo was a great owner for the 49ers but he spent huge amounts of money on players every season. Other smaller market teams couldn't compete financially. Now with the salary cap and the profit sharing, the playing field has been leveled out, so to speak. And the NFL is more popular than ever because of it.

And there is nothing mediocre about the NFL in this day and age. The players are more talented than ever. Bigger, faster, stronger, and smarter. I got to say that some of the great teams in the past few years would absolutely dominate some of the great dynasty teams of yesteryear, IMO.

But that's a separate argument and another thread topic altogether.

You think the NFL is great?  I just looked at the NFL roster.  Here is a list of teams that I doubt we can call "great" and that I call medicore:

Ravens, Bills, Cincy, Browns, Texans, Chiefs, Dolphins, Jets, Raiders, Titans, Ariz, Falcons, Panthers, Bears, Lions, Niners  :'(, Rams, Bucs, and Skins.  That's darn the entire NFL. 

I agree there are better athletes today, but the teams are not better (same is true of the NBA).  Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd rather see a team of superstars than a team like Arizona strugging to win a few games every year.  The Pats were more entertaining last year than the Niners, because the Pats had a couple stars on O and very talented role players (and my Niners stunk).  The NFL was more interesting when the Niners and Cowboys were battling for the Super Bowl every year. 

Parity has killed rivarlies.  Do we even have any rivalries anymore?  I'm talking about teams that hate each other, that are competing for championships, and who draw large audiences?  I guess the closest we have is Pats v. Indy, but that doesn't exactly have people on the edge of their seats.     

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2008, 02:43:13 PM »
You think the NFL is great?  I just looked at the NFL roster.  Here is a list of teams that I doubt we can call "great" and that I call medicore:

Ravens, Bills, Cincy, Browns, Texans, Chiefs, Dolphins, Jets, Raiders, Titans, Ariz, Falcons, Panthers, Bears, Lions, Niners  :'(, Rams, Bucs, and Skins.  That's darn the entire NFL. 

I agree there are better athletes today, but the teams are not better (same is true of the NBA).  Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'd rather see a team of superstars than a team like Arizona strugging to win a few games every year.  The Pats were more entertaining last year than the Niners, because the Pats had a couple stars on O and very talented role players (and my Niners stunk).  The NFL was more interesting when the Niners and Cowboys were battling for the Super Bowl every year. 
Parity has killed rivarlies.  Do we even have any rivalries anymore?  I'm talking about teams that hate each other, that are competing for championships, and who draw large audiences?  I guess the closest we have is Pats v. Indy, but that doesn't exactly have people on the edge of their seats.     

Beach, any one or few of those teams can come out of the gate strong this year. The Browns, Bears, Panthers, and Bills especially have the potential to have really good seasons this year.

As a young boy, my team was the Redskins. I was a big fan of the hogs, the posse, etc. and I loved watching those NFC East battles when that division was the best ever in the late 80's and early 90's. The games against Buddy Ryan's Eagles and Parcells' Giants, and Landry's Cowboys was some of the best football I ever watched. I get very nostalgic and I get goosebumps thinking about some of those games. SO from that perspective, I do agree with missing that aspect of watching top teams. But that's a bias opinion and I was lucky to live in that area to be part of growing up to that level of football. The smaller market teams continued to suck year after year while those great teams thrived.

I just think your opinion is a little biased only because the 49ers were great for a VERY LONG time. Since '81 up until the mid 90's. That's a long stretch of success. Now the 49ers suck ass in this day and age. Now you probably wish there wasn't a salary cap so your owner could spend money like crazy by bringing in high profile free agents every year, right? Like renting Deion Sanders for one year, for example.

Oh well, that's not the state of the NFL these days and it never will be again. No one team is going be have a decided advantage when it comes to keeping depth year after year and losing players to free agency. And it may be awhile before your team is back to prominence.

Frank Gore is a not a sure thing due to his risk for injury. The guy has had acl tears in both knees before he ever came to the pros. Alex Smith looks like a colussul bust and the wide receivers are nothing special(you signed Isaac Bruce who is ancient).You struck gold with Vernon Davis and Patrick Willis but you guys still have a long road to haul.  Mike Nolan is a much better defensive coordinator than head coach and you can bet his ass is gone if he has one more losing season. He had to beg ownership not to let him go this past offseason.

I don't blame you for missing the glory days of the 49ers. But it's going to be a LOOOOONG time before you guys get Lombardi trophy #6!

Sorry I'm hitting you with a flamethrower but I honestly got sick and tired of the 49ers winning every fricken year. It made me nauesous, to be perfectly honest and I'm not sorry your team is in the shitter.

Dos Equis

• Getbig V
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2008, 10:06:55 PM »
Beach, any one or few of those teams can come out of the gate strong this year. The Browns, Bears, Panthers, and Bills especially have the potential to have really good seasons this year.

As a young boy, my team was the Redskins. I was a big fan of the hogs, the posse, etc. and I loved watching those NFC East battles when that division was the best ever in the late 80's and early 90's. The games against Buddy Ryan's Eagles and Parcells' Giants, and Landry's Cowboys was some of the best football I ever watched. I get very nostalgic and I get goosebumps thinking about some of those games. SO from that perspective, I do agree with missing that aspect of watching top teams. But that's a bias opinion and I was lucky to live in that area to be part of growing up to that level of football. The smaller market teams continued to suck year after year while those great teams thrived.

I just think your opinion is a little biased only because the 49ers were great for a VERY LONG time. Since '81 up until the mid 90's. That's a long stretch of success. Now the 49ers suck ass in this day and age. Now you probably wish there wasn't a salary cap so your owner could spend money like crazy by bringing in high profile free agents every year, right? Like renting Deion Sanders for one year, for example.

Oh well, that's not the state of the NFL these days and it never will be again. No one team is going be have a decided advantage when it comes to keeping depth year after year and losing players to free agency. And it may be awhile before your team is back to prominence.

Frank Gore is a not a sure thing due to his risk for injury. The guy has had acl tears in both knees before he ever came to the pros. Alex Smith looks like a colussul bust and the wide receivers are nothing special(you signed Isaac Bruce who is ancient).You struck gold with Vernon Davis and Patrick Willis but you guys still have a long road to haul.  Mike Nolan is a much better defensive coordinator than head coach and you can bet his ass is gone if he has one more losing season. He had to beg ownership not to let him go this past offseason.

I don't blame you for missing the glory days of the 49ers. But it's going to be a LOOOOONG time before you guys get Lombardi trophy #6!

Sorry I'm hitting you with a flamethrower but I honestly got sick and tired of the 49ers winning every fricken year. It made me nauesous, to be perfectly honest and I'm not sorry your team is in the shitter.

Up I know pretty much any team can compete for a Super Bowl in today's NFL (except maybe Arizona, which is cursed).  That's part of my point.  Teams don't have to be great anymore to win championships.  Just look at the Giants.   

We went through a stretch in the past 10 years or so where a number of Super Bowl winners didn't even make the playoffs the year before. 

I'm not one who believes this mediocrity has been good for the NFL.  Seems like you in agree in part, because football was simply better back in the day. 

I'm not just talking about my Niners, although I obviously miss the glory days.  My point is broader than my team.  I'm talking about the league in general.  I suspect many fans would rather see teams full of stars.  Just look at the NBA and how stars sell out stadiums.  When Shaq and Kobe were playing together they sold out visitor arenas all over the country. 

Regarding my Niners, I don't expect them to compete until they get a QB.  Gore will be fine and he'll likely be in my top 5 when I finally get around to my FF rankings.  The WR group has been upgraded with Bruce and Bryant Johnson.  Davis will be good.  The O-line has been upgraded.  We have playmakers on D. 

They'll be back one of these days.   

UPINTHEMGUTS

• Getbig V
« Reply #49 on: August 10, 2008, 11:00:12 AM »
Up I know pretty much any team can compete for a Super Bowl in today's NFL (except maybe Arizona, which is cursed).  That's part of my point.  Teams don't have to be great anymore to win championships.  Just look at the Giants.   

We went through a stretch in the past 10 years or so where a number of Super Bowl winners didn't even make the playoffs the year before. 

I'm not one who believes this mediocrity has been good for the NFL.  Seems like you in agree in part, because football was simply better back in the day. 

I'm not just talking about my Niners, although I obviously miss the glory days.  My point is broader than my team.  I'm talking about the league in general.  I suspect many fans would rather see teams full of stars.  Just look at the NBA and how stars sell out stadiums.  When Shaq and Kobe were playing together they sold out visitor arenas all over the country. 

Regarding my Niners, I don't expect them to compete until they get a QB.  Gore will be fine and he'll likely be in my top 5 when I finally get around to my FF rankings.  The WR group has been upgraded with Bruce and Bryant Johnson.  Davis will be good.  The O-line has been upgraded.  We have playmakers on D. 

They'll be back one of these days.   

Beach, my point was that the talent level is so much better in the modern day NFL, that's hard to have one or two teams to really separate themselves from the rest. I'm a Ravens season ticket holder and I when I attend games, boy I gotta tell you....today's NFL athlete is on another level from a decade ago. Watching those games live and seeing the game speed that today's NFl player has...wow! There isn't a slow guy on the field these days. Remember Bryan Cox? Linebacker for the Dolphins and Jets? Terrific player but was had a repuitation for being slow. Ran a 4.8 40 yard dash coming into the NFL.

I guarantee there isn't a starting linebacker in the modern NFL who runs that kind of time. And Cox's heyday was in the 90's. We're not talking about that long ago. I just think that these days the talent level is getting so leveled out and that every NFL team has loads of talent on both sides of the ball. I think the success level between great teams and good teams is based on how well the players thrive within a individual team scheme, offensively and defensively.

Sorry bro, i still disagree with you about the 'mediocrity' in the NFL. I love the competition and how every Sunday presents a challenge for every team. Every Sunday there's a greater likelihood you'll be watching a competitive game rather than a blowout.

On another note, I do miss gambling on NFL football when taking the favorite and the point spread was such easy money back in the old days. LOL!

Just a difference of opinion, my man.