Author Topic: Classic face turn by Roddy Piper  (Read 4466 times)

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Classic face turn by Roddy Piper
« on: February 10, 2009, 10:23:13 AM »
A little background on this.  Roddy was a WAY OVER heel, but pretty much had to turn face at the time.  In real life he saved a little girl from some knife wielding maniac (it was reported on local news, not a work) and as word got out, Georgia championship wrestling put him behind the mic to let his wound heel (not sure if that part was real), but mainly to let things cool off.  It became apparent that a better angle was to work it into the show to turn Piper face and this is how it went down....

Embedding is disabled on it, but it's worth a look...

I recognized Don Muraco, Masked Superstar, Buzz Sawyer, Ole Anderson, Chick Donavan, Brad Armstrong and Matt Borne ( I think he was the guy in the flannel shirt with bushy hair.)

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
  • There's no Kayfabe in the business anymore.
Re: Classic face turn by Roddy Piper
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 03:30:18 PM »
I was never a big fan of Pippers

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 04:47:21 PM »
I was never a big fan of Pippers

Honestly, I'm not really either.  He was a very good heel in his Mid-Atlantic days, but didn't really like his WWF work.  After that, he just got kinda weird.

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2009, 11:35:29 PM »
Honestly, I'm not really either.  He was a very good heel in his Mid-Atlantic days, but didn't really like his WWF work.  After that, he just got kinda weird.

He's good on the mic though. I will say that.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2009, 06:59:41 AM »
He was ok until he came back in the mid 90's. I think 94 when he fought Lawler at KOTR and brought some skinny geek out with him after that and his WCW run he jumped the shark.

njflex

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • HEY PAISAN
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2009, 09:46:46 AM »
orndoff/piper/ace orton classic rowdy one at his wwf finest,

Karl Kox

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2009, 10:29:01 PM »
He was ok until he came back in the mid 90's. I think 94 when he fought Lawler at KOTR and brought some skinny geek out with him after that and his WCW run he jumped the shark.

I agree with that.

Montague

• Getbig V
  • The black degelation does not know this nig - V.G.
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 07:16:23 AM »
A little background on this.  Roddy was a WAY OVER heel, but pretty much had to turn face at the time.  In real life he saved a little girl from some knife wielding maniac (it was reported on local news, not a work) and as word got out, Georgia championship wrestling put him behind the mic to let his wound heel (not sure if that part was real), but mainly to let things cool off.  It became apparent that a better angle was to work it into the show to turn Piper face and this is how it went down....

If that’s the same incident I’m thinking of, Piper discussed that in his autobiography, only he told it slightly differently.

According to Pipes, the knife guy was coming at him, waving the blade around and taunting him.
Roddy wrapped his towel around his forearm and confronted the guy, when he felt a tiny pounding on his side. He turned to see WTF, taking his eyes off the knife (big no-no in a knife fight) and saw a little girl.
The knife guy lunged and landed his blade in Piper’s chest.

Finally, police got a handle on things, arrested the guy, and carried Piper – who was bleeding profusely – out on a stretcher. Fans were throwing stuff at him because they thought it was a work.

Turned out the little girl was the knife guy’s daughter.

It was cool how the promotion put a different slant on the events and used the incident as the basis of a story line.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 10:25:59 AM »
Piper has a hefty ego and has grown, I think, a bit delusional with time.
His interviews and book suggest that, among other things, he drew Wrestlemania. He makes some good points, but if he was the main attraction, then why wasn’t it Piper vs. Bundy at WM II, and Piper vs. Andre the year after that?

I think he felt under-appreciated by the Fed. for his work throughout the first 3 Wrestlemania’s, and overcompensates by giving himself a bit more credit than many would agree he deserves.

BTW – my buddy worked in OVW in 2005. He saw Piper at the HOF dinner and said that until he took to the podium, he looked trippin.

Montague

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 12:29:06 PM »
He-he…
I remember that.
That was when Bischoff was big on guys doing “worked shoots.”
There was another interview where the whole time Piper addressed Hogan as “Terry,” as if that legitimized the angle – blurring the line between fiction and reality. :o
Fvckin’ dopes.

But yeah, Pipers take on it is people didn’t buy Wrestlemania to see Hulk Hogan win; they watched to see Roddy Piper get his ass kicked.

So, according to Piper’s logic, if the main event was Roddy Piper vs. “Maniac” Matt Borne, that would have drawn just as well so long as Piper got a whippin…
Because after all, that is why people watched.
 ::)