Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 551697 times)

obesebob

• Getbig I
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #1200 on: October 23, 2015, 02:49:33 AM »
TITUS GROAN by Mervyn Peake.

FitnessFrenzy

• Getbig V
  • evolving
« Reply #1201 on: October 24, 2015, 12:20:45 AM »
Jush finished the below book. I rate it 4 out of 6 stars. It had some tedious parts that were unnecessary, other than that it was a good book for those who are interested in stock markets, HFT and trading psychology:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_Boys

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1202 on: October 24, 2015, 11:36:18 AM »
a e van vogt    anything   maybe best author ever
robert e howard
michael moorcock
jack vance    also might be best author ever
murray leinster
The Great Explosion is a satirical science fiction novel by Eric Frank Russell
Voyage from Yesteryear is a 1982 science fiction novel by James P. Hogan.
powerhouse principles jorge cruz
dungeon masters guide gary gygax
feet of clay terry pratchett    sold only 90mil books in diskworld etc series
Man, I remember reading 'Slan' years ago. Supposed to be a classic. What a turd. Is there one of his that you would recommend?  

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1203 on: October 26, 2015, 12:18:59 PM »
The 'Devils" trilogy by Matt Tomerlin.
Books are about piracy in the Caribbean.
Damn! these books are nothing like the the romantic fun movies that have been made. these books are dark and violent. murder, torture, and rape and all types of mayhem. major characters get killed off in every book in very gruesome ways.

....sometimes I don't want to pick the books up and other times I don't want to put them down!

Set It Up

• Getbig V
  • London--March 22-31
« Reply #1204 on: October 26, 2015, 03:02:12 PM »
Gang Leader for a Day: A Rogue Sociologist Takes to the Streets

by Sudhir Venkatesh

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1205 on: November 06, 2015, 10:53:34 AM »
I haven't picked up a book in a week :o :'(

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #1206 on: November 14, 2015, 03:42:08 PM »
I am compelled to reread a book called: Historical Atlas of The Crusades by Angus Konstam.

Fantastic book filled with maps, paintings, relics, and timelines of the numerous battles fought between Christians and Muslims.

Even the author points out the striking resemblance to events of today.

Great read.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1207 on: November 26, 2015, 03:32:34 PM »
Two books:

Elmore Leonard's 'Touch.' Odd title; odd book. A story about a guy with stigmata!? Well-written, but a real miss-fire by the master. Appears to be a gift from his publishing house and reads like one. Only for completists (and I know you're out there).

Kim Stanley Robinson's 'Aurora.' Big hype on this book, and it's not bad. Part space opera and part hard science space stuff. Story about a voyage to a star near Tau Ceti that has some problems. For me, the narrative was totally weak, but I did like some of the science-y problems encountered. I'm sure I'm not the real audience for this book, so maybe another SF Getbigger could better review this book?  

BB

• Getbig V
  • I hope I'm not boring you.
« Reply #1208 on: November 27, 2015, 10:46:54 AM »

Elmore Leonard's 'Touch.' Odd title; odd book. A story about a guy with stigmata!? Well-written, but a real miss-fire by the master. Appears to be a gift from his publishing house and reads like one. Only for completists (and I know you're out there).

That was my first Elmore Leonard, and put me off of him for years. It wasn't until I saw that 52 Pick Up was based on his novel years afterward that I picked up another one of his books (the very good Unknown Man #89). I honestly can't remember a word of it, except that the faith healer's name was Juvenal, or something close, and it had some really awkward romantic scenes in it.

They actually made a film out of it a few years back -

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #1209 on: November 27, 2015, 11:14:50 AM »
As for my reading -

Ran through a few more of the Chester Himes "Harlem Detective" series, best to start at the beginning with these. They get a bit lazy toward the middle of the series, and you do need to to allow some lee-way for some plot points. They're fun reads, and an interesting time capsule of the era if you read them like that.

Clubland, by Frank Owen. Although some take umbrage with it, I found it a nice read on the whole Gatien/Alig/Paciello night club scandals. 4/5 rating if the topic is of interest to you.

The Promise by Robert Crais. I usually feel that even bad Crais is still pretty good, and this was no exception, but it did feel a bit like lazy writing. Some of the characters feel like they only show up only because that's what the book buyers want. Ending showdown is fast, and some of it feels a bit cheesy, and tacked on.

Also, as much as I love dogs, I couldn't get into the fact that Crais writes major portions of the book from the view point of a police dog. It was cute for a bit, but not multiple chapters.

Still, it's not horrible, just not up to his usual standard, 3/3.5 - 5.

Just started Stephen Hunters's "Dirty White Boys"  - Solid bit of noir from the few chapters I'm in.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1210 on: November 28, 2015, 10:47:11 AM »
As for my reading -

Ran through a few more of the Chester Himes "Harlem Detective" series, best to start at the beginning with these. They get a bit lazy toward the middle of the series, and you do need to to allow some lee-way for some plot points. They're fun reads, and an interesting time capsule of the era if you read them like that.

Clubland, by Frank Owen. Although some take umbrage with it, I found it a nice read on the whole Gatien/Alig/Paciello night club scandals. 4/5 rating if the topic is of interest to you.

The Promise by Robert Crais. I usually feel that even bad Crais is still pretty good, and this was no exception, but it did feel a bit like lazy writing. Some of the characters feel like they only show up only because that's what the book buyers want. Ending showdown is fast, and some of it feels a bit cheesy, and tacked on.

Also, as much as I love dogs, I couldn't get into the fact that Crais writes major portions of the book from the view point of a police dog. It was cute for a bit, but not multiple chapters.

Still, it's not horrible, just not up to his usual standard, 3/3.5 - 5.

Just started Stephen Hunters's "Dirty White Boys"  - Solid bit of noir from the few chapters I'm in.
Grave Digger and Coffin Ed. Good stuff. I remember reading his 'Pinktoes' and finding it hilarious, and I rarely read stuff funny.   

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1211 on: December 15, 2015, 06:51:35 AM »
Take, Burn, Destroy. by Sean Thomas Russell
better than I thought though the on shore parts get a little slow.

King Shizzo

• Getbig V
  • Ron crowned me King because I always deliver.
« Reply #1212 on: December 15, 2015, 07:02:32 AM »
Getbig. My go to book.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #1213 on: December 16, 2015, 09:25:36 PM »
An article about Burt Reynolds in the December issue of Vanity Fair. He may have been Charlie Sheen's mentor, supposedly minus getting HIV.

CalvinH

• Getbig V
  • Spastic Tarted Cvunt
« Reply #1214 on: December 17, 2015, 04:59:31 AM »
Take, Burn, Destroy. by Sean Thomas Russell
better than I thought though the on shore parts get a little slow.

Ended up really liking this book and hope he continues the series.

bigmc

• Getbig V
« Reply #1215 on: December 18, 2015, 10:54:35 AM »
The 'Devils" trilogy by Matt Tomerlin.
Books are about piracy in the Caribbean.
Damn! these books are nothing like the the romantic fun movies that have been made. these books are dark and violent. murder, torture, and rape and all types of mayhem. major characters get killed off in every book in very gruesome ways.

....sometimes I don't want to pick the books up and other times I don't want to put them down!

im looking for something new

will check this out
T

Ken Fresno

• Getbig III
« Reply #1216 on: December 18, 2015, 11:17:08 AM »
Bought The Goshawk by T H White and Moby Dick today.

Determined to finish Moby Dick. It's not going into my pile of quarter read classics .

balzac

• Getbig IV
« Reply #1217 on: December 19, 2015, 07:41:04 AM »

BB

• Getbig V
« Reply #1218 on: December 19, 2015, 12:45:46 PM »
For some reason, got stuck in a loop for a few weeks reading through old New York Magazines on google books. Really interesting reading how old stories were handled. Also a kick reading through the old pre internet ads -

http://www.google.com/search?q=google+new+york+magazine&oq=google+new+york+magazine&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l3j69i64.26230j0j7&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8#q=google+new+york+magazine&tbm=bks .

Google books also has near complete collections of Spin, Vibe, Field & Stream, Popular Science, and Popular Mechanics up for reading.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1219 on: December 24, 2015, 12:23:37 AM »
Two books: Ian Rankin's 'Even the Dogs,' and Michael Connelly's 'The Crossing.' Love these guys, and saw both on their book thingy tours ...but, (big BUT) if you are a Rankin fan, and who isn't, or a Connelly one, then these books are aces...but...They deliver all the character stuff that you want, and the great writing, but to me, it all now seems so...contrived. I get it.  80% Sure it's my reading fatigue, not the author's stuff, but I'm gonna cleanse my palate and see what's what. Best to you reading people for the New Year.  :)

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1220 on: January 05, 2016, 04:18:48 PM »
Anyone read/familiar with 'S.', cowritten by JJ Abrams (Star Trek/Star Wars). Seems quite interesting, with a unique story-within-a-story-type medium bend resulting from an odd handwritten margin correspondence between readers. Similar to House of Leaves in that way, where the bizarre footnotes created an entirely separate narrative.

Really digging it so far.

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1221 on: January 09, 2016, 08:11:25 AM »
Anyone read/familiar with 'S.', cowritten by JJ Abrams (Star Trek/Star Wars). Seems quite interesting, with a unique story-within-a-story-type medium bend resulting from an odd handwritten margin correspondence between readers. Similar to House of Leaves in that way, where the bizarre footnotes created an entirely separate narrative.

Really digging it so far.
Bought it, as it was mightily hyped. Kinda looked at it, was moderately intrigued, and then put it back on the shelf.

/love house of leaves. very creepy.

The Ugly

• Getbig V
« Reply #1222 on: January 09, 2016, 12:27:58 PM »
Bought it, as it was mightily hyped. Kinda looked at it, was moderately intrigued, and then put it back on the shelf.

/love house of leaves. very creepy.

One of my absolute favorites. Like one critic said, "Had 'Blair Witch' been a book ..."

Any idea how to approach 'S.'? With 'Leaves,' I ended up dismissing the footnotes altogether (as they got more and more insane/irrelevant) and just followed the narrative. Read them later, after I'd finished the book.

With this one, think I just got plug away at both, but I'm not into it deep enough yet to know. I read the margin conversation first, then the printed page - any idea if I'm doing it right?

dr.chimps

• Getbig V
  • Chimpus ergo sum
« Reply #1223 on: January 11, 2016, 10:00:05 AM »
One of my absolute favorites. Like one critic said, "Had 'Blair Witch' been a book ..."

Any idea how to approach 'S.'? With 'Leaves,' I ended up dismissing the footnotes altogether (as they got more and more insane/irrelevant) and just followed the narrative. Read them later, after I'd finished the book.

With this one, think I just got plug away at both, but I'm not into it deep enough yet to know. I read the margin conversation first, then the printed page - any idea if I'm doing it right?
No idea. Kinda looked at all the pieces and read a couple of pages. Seemed like a bit of work, and me being lazy put it back together in slipcase and shelved it.  

Purge_WTF

« Reply #1224 on: January 12, 2016, 06:42:40 AM »
 I'm about to finish Judge Not by Todd Friel. He calls out the heretical and sometimes outright stupid trends in the church today; suffice to say, it has lots of chapters.