Author Topic: Rear Delt growth  (Read 9142 times)

bigbychoice

• Getbig II
Rear Delt growth
« on: November 10, 2008, 09:39:37 AM »
Does anyone have any tricks for rear delt growth? My delts all seem to be some what in proportion but my rear delt sits to low. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

thewickedtruth

• Getbig V
Re: Rear Delt growth
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2008, 09:50:33 AM »
dumbbell rows held at the top, heavy rows in general, and movements such as rope face pulls and reverse pec dec flys are fantastic for reardelts! Heavy back work tends to cover the rear delts fine.. but if they're lagging then more direct work will do the trick.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2008, 09:58:01 AM »
I like bent over laterals with a knuckles out grip. I wouldn't go back too far at the top.

Bluto

• Getbig V
  • Well?
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2008, 10:29:02 AM »
I use machines  :D
Z

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2008, 03:03:21 PM »
Reverse Incline Flies.
H-Rolls
Reverse Pec-Dec
Cable Crosses. (The kind where you grab the left side cable with your right hand and the right side cable with your left, start off with arms crossed and spread your arms out so you are in a crucifix position when extended).

Should be plenty along with rowing movements to get the rear delts to pop out nicely.

jaejonna

• Getbig V
  • Head Asian of Getbig
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2008, 03:16:32 PM »
Hit them twice....after back day and on Shoulder day.
L

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2008, 03:20:00 PM »
Hit them twice....after back day and on Shoulder day.

I personally just hit them on back day at the end when my back is exhausted and I'll be recruiting it very minimally for delt work.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 03:26:57 PM »
one arm bent over dumbell row/upright row... pulling up and away and out from the body... right in line with the rear delts attachements on the arm and on the back of the shoudler... works perfectly and gets you SUPER pumped rear delts...

[i invented this one on my own.. i think i explained it OK but if you dont understand ask me for clarification on what you dont understand and ill try to explain it. id like to hear some feedback on this movement because i find it to be exceptional for myself and ive never seen or heard of anyone else doing it like this]

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 03:28:58 PM »
The basics always seem to work well for rear delts. It's only a small muscle, so a little bit of extra attention should do the trick.  Doing them twice a week was a good suggestion. 
For something a little different, you can do upright rows with the bar behind your legs.  It's not a very big ROM, but with a decent amount of weight and a pause at the top, it creates a nice burn.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 04:03:12 PM »
seated cable rows pulling the bar up high and reverse pec dec.

webcake

• Getbig V
  • Not now chief...
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 04:23:41 PM »
Bent over DB lat raises. Go heavy but keep the reps kinda high (12-15)

I always do 2 sets heavy, then do 2 sets lying face down on an incline bench. I go lighter on these and use very strict form.
No doubt about it...

iron_dawg

• Getbig III
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 04:25:25 PM »
try high reps...or it is just genetics

bigbychoice

• Getbig II
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2008, 08:36:13 AM »
Hey thanks every one for your input. I think my rear delt is fine in size I just want it as tall as the rest my shoulder. It is probably genetics but I am trying to get it big enough so it ties in better with my medial delt. Again thanks for the input.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2008, 08:57:06 AM »
One mistake i used to make was bringing my elbow to far back and putting stress on the upper back/trap area.

bigbychoice

• Getbig II
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2008, 09:07:00 AM »
Ok different question. Well kinda the same. What do you guys think are the best medial delt exercises for mass? Basically building the caps on your shoulders.

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2008, 09:17:52 AM »
Ok different question. Well kinda the same. What do you guys think are the best medial delt exercises for mass? Basically building the caps on your shoulders.
wide grip upright rows and one arm lateral raises with db's.

tbombz

• Getbig V
  • Psalms 150
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2008, 09:19:00 AM »
if you can go heavy and keep stress on the delts and off of the traps, then heavy side laterals. but for mst people who lack the mnd+muscle connection to really use some serious weight on side laterals, behind the neck press wiill be close to the best. but of course you must remember that certain individuals prefer certain movements. ask 10 guys and you might get 10 different exercises.

bigbychoice

• Getbig II
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2008, 09:22:54 AM »
Yea I think I'm one of the people without the mind muscle connection for that muscle. I usally do 1 arm laterals but my front delt seems to be doing the work. How low do you go on behind the neck presses? They seem dangerous.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2008, 10:23:02 AM »
Very hard to acheive a mind/muscle connection for most people when training rear delts.

Envision two pads up against the back of your elbows,then push the "pads" back as opposed to pulling the weight..............real ly helps to isolate the area no matter what exercise you are using.

For lateral head of delts,try doing strict laterals,arms slightly bent at the elbow to take stress offf the joint..........now instead of doing a lateral raise,do the lkateral raise behind your back...............real fucking good old school shit that not many know about.

Also,learn to "pull" with the side head as opposed to just swinging or raising and lowring.

wes

• Competitors
  • Getbig V
  • What Dire Mishap Has Befallen Thee
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2008, 10:24:30 AM »
Oh yeah,try behind the back laterals,super-setted with seated Bradford Presses................. ...torturous and very result producing.

Do a sert of laterals first,then do the Bradfords..............n o rest between exercises!!

bigbychoice

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2008, 10:36:15 AM »
Can you show an example (Maybe youtube) of how to do Bradfords and laterals behind back? Thanks.

QuakerOats

• Time Out
  • Getbig V
  • bring amberlamps!!!
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2008, 01:30:39 PM »
Can you show an example (Maybe youtube) of how to do Bradfords and laterals behind back? Thanks.
on Bradfords you're basically doing a barbell shoulder press but only clear the top of your head and then lower it behind your neck and then presss back up just over your head and back down in front, basically it's a press done in the bottom half of the ROM.

PANDAEMONIUM

• Getbig V
  • Scourge of the Northern Gods
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2008, 02:13:09 PM »
Does anyone have any tricks for rear delt growth? My delts all seem to be some what in proportion but my rear delt sits to low. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Exercising the rear delts definitely helps

Emmortal

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2008, 02:19:51 PM »
Exercising the rear delts definitely helps

bigbychoice

• Getbig II
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2008, 02:34:16 PM »
Of course I have have exercised my rear delts. I just wanted to see if anyone had any tricks (like wes did) for them. Why clog up the forum saying stupid shit like that?