Author Topic: MONSTER TRICEPS! Ask JROD (Nattie BB CHAMP) Q & A  (Read 342945 times)

The Squadfather

• Getbig V
Re: MONSTER TRICEPS! Ask JROD (Nattie BB CHAMP) Q & A
« Reply #225 on: April 14, 2007, 05:39:16 PM »
great physique j rod.

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #226 on: April 14, 2007, 07:45:05 PM »
what did you do to get the outer tri? :o  my tris are getting pretty big, but really only the inside and lower one seem to be growing.

My favorite triceps exercise is lying triceps extensions.  When performing extensions I don't bring the bar to my forehead, rather I bring the bar over/behind my head, like this:   

http://ast-ss.com/training/exercises/execution.asp?bp=Arm&pn=16

Aside from extensions, I would say that heavy presses (regular bench presses, or close grip) and dips are good too. (I do trices push downs sometimes)

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #227 on: April 14, 2007, 07:46:31 PM »

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #228 on: April 14, 2007, 07:59:54 PM »
Hey jrod bro what do you think about this whole volume vs hit debate? Have you tried both? Do you think you get the greatest muscle stimilus from going maximum weights every workout?

I personally feel much fuller on volume.

Keep doing your thing you are well on your way!
just push some weight!

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #229 on: April 16, 2007, 09:52:52 AM »
Hey jrod bro what do you think about this whole volume vs hit debate? Have you tried both? Do you think you get the greatest muscle stimilus from going maximum weights every workout?

I personally feel much fuller on volume.

Keep doing your thing you are well on your way!

I personally prefer the high intensity, low volume, basic/compound exercises approach.  However, I do believe there is value in finding what works for you; so if you've tried both and prefer volume, then stick with it.

El Guapo

• Getbig III
  • Don't hate me cause I'm beautiful
« Reply #230 on: April 19, 2007, 07:34:56 AM »
Jrod would you take in your post workout carbs even if you trained in the late evening? Or do you have a cut off time? Oh and is that manta ray thing for back squats weird to get adjusted to? Thanks!!

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #231 on: April 19, 2007, 01:56:31 PM »
Jrod would you take in your post workout carbs even if you trained in the late evening? Or do you have a cut off time? Oh and is that manta ray thing for back squats weird to get adjusted to? Thanks!!

Though I don't train late in the evening, the answer would still be Yes: I would take my post-workout shake of dextrose and whey no matter what time.  If possible, I wouldn't make that shake my last meal, I would try to stay up a bit longer and get another meal in before going to bed.

I have never used the Manta Ray (for back squats), but I have been using the Sting Ray, which is for front squats. 

El Guapo

• Getbig III
« Reply #232 on: April 19, 2007, 08:07:16 PM »
Though I don't train late in the evening, the answer would still be Yes: I would take my post-workout shake of dextrose and whey no matter what time.  If possible, I wouldn't make that shake my last meal, I would try to stay up a bit longer and get another meal in before going to bed.

I have never used the Manta Ray (for back squats), but I have been using the Sting Ray, which is for front squats. 

J Rod why do you use dextrose? why not a complex carb like brown rice? Have you always taken a post workout dextrose shake? Sorry for all the questions man but I just have it my head that consuming a simple sugar like that would put fat on me. Thank you for your time o wise one ;D

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #233 on: April 19, 2007, 08:12:21 PM »
J Rod why do you use dextrose? why not a complex carb like brown rice? Have you always taken a post workout dextrose shake? Sorry for all the questions man but I just have it my head that consuming a simple sugar like that would put fat on me. Thank you for your time o wise one ;D

Post-workout you want a FAST insulin response so you can cram all that whey into your muscle cells!

Plus, numerous studies have shown that taking in a large amount of glucose post-workout will not make you fat, you will simply re-fill your muscle cell glycogen stores.

El Guapo

• Getbig III
« Reply #234 on: April 19, 2007, 09:35:55 PM »
Post-workout you want a FAST insulin response so you can cram all that whey into your muscle cells!

Plus, numerous studies have shown that taking in a large amount of glucose post-workout will not make you fat, you will simply re-fill your muscle cell glycogen stores.
im sorry pobrecito, but I have never bought into the whole insulin spike thing. Maybe you can point me to the studies?

overcome

• Getbig II
  • Size comes with strength, strength comes from pain
« Reply #235 on: April 20, 2007, 10:12:28 AM »
I personally prefer the high intensity, low volume, basic/compound exercises approach.  However, I do believe there is value in finding what works for you; so if you've tried both and prefer volume, then stick with it.

Thank you!  so many people think that if something works for them then everyone should do it and it would work just as well.  Also that if something doesnt work as well for them its useless and no one should do it.
you suck at life...

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #236 on: April 20, 2007, 08:30:44 PM »
im sorry pobrecito, but I have never bought into the whole insulin spike thing. Maybe you can point me to the studies?

Check these articles out (you can check the references of the articles for some studies):

http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~jjhulmi/Manninen71.pdf

http://ast-ss.com/articles/article.asp?AID=32

http://ast-ss.com/articles/article.asp?AID=251

AND THIS STUDY:  "An oral essential amino acid-carbohydrate supplement enhances muscle protein anabolism after resistance exercise"

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/88/2/386

Blake B. Rasmussen, Kevin D. Tipton, Sharon L. Miller, Steven E. Wolf, and Robert R. Wolfe
An oral essential amino acid-carbohydrate supplement enhances muscle protein anabolism after resistance exercise
J Appl Physiol 88: 386-392, 2000.

You might have to pay to see this last one, so here's the abstract, just in case:

This study was designed to determine the response of muscle protein to the bolus ingestion of a drink containing essential amino acids and carbohydrate after resistance exercise. Six subjects (3 men, 3 women) randomly consumed a treatment drink (6 g essential amino acids, 35 g sucrose) or a flavored placebo drink 1 h or 3 h after a bout of resistance exercise on two separate occasions. We used a three-compartment model for determination of leg muscle protein kinetics. The model involves the infusion of ring-2H5-phenylalanine, femoral arterial and venous blood sampling, and muscle biopsies. Phenylalanine net balance and muscle protein synthesis were significantly increased above the predrink and corresponding placebo value (P < 0.05) when the drink was taken 1 or 3 h after exercise but not when the placebo was ingested at 1 or 3 h. The response to the amino acid-carbohydrate drink produced similar anabolic responses at 1 and 3 h. Muscle protein breakdown did not change in response to the drink. We conclude that essential amino acids with carbohydrates stimulate muscle protein anabolism by increasing muscle protein synthesis when ingested 1 or 3 h after resistance exercise.

muscle protein synthesis; stable isotopes; nutritional supplementation

El Guapo

• Getbig III
« Reply #237 on: April 22, 2007, 11:05:32 AM »
J-Rod that is some fantanstic information thank you. Quick question, how did you determine the proper amount of dextrose to use in your shakes? Do you purchase dextrose separately or do you use ast creatine dextrose product? Thanks!

pobrecito

• Getbig V
« Reply #238 on: April 22, 2007, 03:21:35 PM »
J-Rod that is some fantanstic information thank you. Quick question, how did you determine the proper amount of dextrose to use in your shakes? Do you purchase dextrose separately or do you use ast creatine dextrose product? Thanks!

He is probably just using plain jane dextrose.

Comes in $2 bags from 1fast400. You can also get it at your local brewery/wine shop.

El Guapo

• Getbig III
« Reply #239 on: April 22, 2007, 04:19:20 PM »
He is probably just using plain jane dextrose.

Comes in $2 bags from 1fast400. You can also get it at your local brewery/wine shop.

yeah I was just curious. I was thinking of getting some from true protein. I'll check out 1fast400 though.

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #240 on: April 22, 2007, 10:56:42 PM »
No problem, El Guapo. 

I don't use a pre-made dextrose+creatine product; I make a pre/post-workout shake consisting of dextrose, glutamine, creatine, bcaa, and whey.  I buy each of these "ingredients" separately.  Aside from being A LOT cheaper this way, I am able to put exactly as much dextrose (or whatever) as I want in my shakes (I have less dextrose as I get closer to a show than I do in the off-season). 

As far as determining how much dextrose, its been a long process: about 4 years ago, I started with about 25g dextrose post workout; now I am currently up to 30g pre-workout, 20g mid workout, 40g post workout.  Over the years I have found that this is what works for me (I only started doing the mid-workout shake this year).  I have found that, for whatever reason, a lot of carbs (dextrose) around workout time works well for me and I am still able to say lean year-round. 

Knooger

• Getbig V
« Reply #241 on: April 27, 2007, 10:11:56 AM »
Do you ever have protein shakes with dextrose on days you don't work out?

Thanks for your time.

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #242 on: April 27, 2007, 08:07:13 PM »
Do you ever have protein shakes with dextrose on days you don't work out?

Thanks for your time.

No, I would only have that after some sort of workout (cardio or weightlifting).  If I didn't just workout, I would have a protein shake with oatmeal (actually, I have these often). 

Zwier

• Getbig II
  • Getbig!
« Reply #243 on: May 05, 2007, 10:40:44 AM »
Jrod,

You have great look and quality on your body ! This is a look that lot of guys admire instead of the "extreme" bodybuilding look.

My question..

Do you have any cheat meals or days off season ? pre contest ?

Do you find it dificcult to combine the lifestyle with going out and social life ?

What supplement next to basics you liked most ?

G.R.H.

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #244 on: May 05, 2007, 01:52:41 PM »
eeeewww! i didn't know there were muscles in places like that! that's gross, but very impressive!  :P

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #245 on: May 05, 2007, 02:07:52 PM »
hey j rod what type of dextrose to you use

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #246 on: May 06, 2007, 11:53:42 AM »
Jrod,

You have great look and quality on your body ! This is a look that lot of guys admire instead of the "extreme" bodybuilding look.

My question..

Do you have any cheat meals or days off season ? pre contest ?

Definitely NO cheat meals during pre-contest.  Off season, if I want to I could, however, I do not usually want to cheat.  I just dont have a problem with eating clean, and, I don't really think about it much.  Furthermore, I really like to eat meat, so I often treat myself to a pound of steak or chicken; which is way more than i need in a sitting.  I don't eat a perfect pre contest diet during the off season, but the structure is similar (i just eat a lot more, and hardly any vegetables). 

Do you find it dificcult to combine the lifestyle with going out and social life ?
I'm sure its not as easy as if I didn't have to eat every two hours, but I do not have a problem with it to the point where it frustrates me.  I just bring my home made mrps (little ziplock bags filled with whey and oatmeal) and sneak off to the bathroom if i have to. 

People ask me this question a lot and here is how i see it.  Think about what is important to you and exactly how much you are willing to sacrifice to make these things happen.  Be honest with yourself, and be okay with your choice.  If it is more important to you to go out and have a social life (not interrupted by having to eat on time), then do that and be okay with it.  Its your life, and if it makes you happier then it should be okay.   

What supplement next to basics you liked most ?

I don't know what you consider basic, so I'll just tell you all the supplements I take:
Whey protein, creatine, glutamine, BCAA, dextrose, vitamins.

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #247 on: May 06, 2007, 11:59:13 AM »
hey j rod what type of dextrose to you use

I didn't know there were different types of dextrose.  Do you mean brand?  If so, I buy Now Foods' dextrose cause its cheap (no other reason, really).  However, i would say just buy whatever dextrose you can get a hold of that is cheap.  They're probably all the same. 

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #248 on: May 06, 2007, 04:59:51 PM »
thats what i ment sorry i should have been more clear

Slintowin

• Competitors II
  • Getbig II
  • I saw you just the other day my how you have grow
« Reply #249 on: May 06, 2007, 10:18:24 PM »
Dextrose is crap you can use waxy maize or the best is pure vitargo dextrose will give you a very uncomfortable bloat while vitargo will keep it down shakes are not needed on non workout days the concept is to restore your empty cells after a workout  cells can not be empty if you have not done anything