Author Topic: MONSTER TRICEPS! Ask JROD (Nattie BB CHAMP) Q & A  (Read 343006 times)

mwbbuilder

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
Re: MONSTER TRICEPS! Ask JROD (Nattie BB CHAMP) Q & A
« Reply #350 on: July 19, 2007, 12:12:31 PM »
Agree with what you said; I need more muscle maturity and need to fill out my frame.  Like you said, this will come in time (but I'm trying hard to make it sooner rather than later). 

I am 23 years old ( born January 1st 1984).  I started lifting weights 6 years ago (the summer, around July, when I was 17).  I dont know exactly at which point my training would be called serious, but I can say that I started training and eating fairly well pretty soon after I started; maybe 6-8 months, maybe a year. 

You're just a baby! Already competing and doing very well at the national level.

If were so easy to dominate anything at such a young age and with only 6 years in, how worthwhile would that be? Yes, guys, even in natural bodybuilding!

Jrod and the rest of you can get better and better. Even if you are natural.

Mat

• Getbig II
  • Wizard from Oz
« Reply #351 on: July 19, 2007, 03:42:40 PM »
Jrod with your cardio did you do short intense sessions?

Also how many cardio sessions were you doing a week and did you start to do two cardio sessions on any one day towards the end of your comp?

Thanks
Mat

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #352 on: July 19, 2007, 05:05:45 PM »
Jrod with your cardio did you do short intense sessions?

Also how many cardio sessions were you doing a week and did you start to do two cardio sessions on any one day towards the end of your comp?

Thanks
Mat

I did a total of 11 or 12 sessions. There were only 2 days where I did 2 sessions of cardio in one day.  I did most of my cardio session around 6-2 weeks out, but I did my first session at 9 weeks out.   

As for the type, I did something a bit different this year.  Only once did I do a completely continuous session (15 min).  Every other time I split my cardio into 2-3 parts, what I called "sets," and rest about 3 minutes between each.  The sum of these sets usually came out to be about 12-14 minutes. 

For example, I would sprint around the track for about 3:30, then get on the elliptical for about 5 minutes, rest 3 minutes, then get on the bike for another 5 minutes.  Each of these sets would be very intense.

another example:  Elliptical for 7 minutes, rest 3, then stair stepper for 7.

I did a diffrent combination or order each time (I just made sure I was pushing myself VERY hard).  This also allowed me to break up my shakes for cardio so that I had a pre, mid, and post-workout shake.

I really liked this method of cardio.  Never heard of anyone doing this, but I liked it.  Its kind of like high intensity/max-ot cardio, but with intervals. 

Mat

• Getbig II
  • Wizard from Oz
« Reply #353 on: July 19, 2007, 05:28:29 PM »
wow that sound's like a very interesting method of doing cardio. I normally have my pre and post shake around cardio but the mid shake sounds like a great concept to help protect muscle during cardio and keep fueling your body.

The way you do cardio will also provide a change from the same 16min session, and stop your body from getting use to using the same equipment. Might give it a go soon

Thanks

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #354 on: July 19, 2007, 05:43:03 PM »
wow that sound's like a very interesting method of doing cardio. I normally have my pre and post shake around cardio but the mid shake sounds like a great concept to help protect muscle during cardio and keep fueling your body.

The way you do cardio will also provide a change from the same 16min session, and stop your body from getting use to using the same equipment. Might give it a go soon

Thanks

yeah, give it a try and let me know if you like it.  Also, just to clear it up, it isnt like i added a mid workout shake (added as in extra calories), rather i took some dextrose and protein from my pre and from my post to make a mid shake. 

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #355 on: July 22, 2007, 11:49:55 AM »
I did a total of 11 or 12 sessions. There were only 2 days where I did 2 sessions of cardio in one day.  I did most of my cardio session around 6-2 weeks out, but I did my first session at 9 weeks out.   

As for the type, I did something a bit different this year.  Only once did I do a completely continuous session (15 min).  Every other time I split my cardio into 2-3 parts, what I called "sets," and rest about 3 minutes between each.  The sum of these sets usually came out to be about 12-14 minutes. 

For example, I would sprint around the track for about 3:30, then get on the elliptical for about 5 minutes, rest 3 minutes, then get on the bike for another 5 minutes.  Each of these sets would be very intense.

another example:  Elliptical for 7 minutes, rest 3, then stair stepper for 7.

I did a diffrent combination or order each time (I just made sure I was pushing myself VERY hard).  This also allowed me to break up my shakes for cardio so that I had a pre, mid, and post-workout shake.

I really liked this method of cardio.  Never heard of anyone doing this, but I liked it.  Its kind of like high intensity/max-ot cardio, but with intervals. 

Odd that you do it this way in light of some recent research that points out that breaking up cardio will introduce more fatty acids into blood stream presumably from fat stores (equaling fat burning).

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #356 on: July 22, 2007, 01:20:23 PM »
Odd that you do it this way in light of some recent research that points out that breaking up cardio will introduce more fatty acids into blood stream presumably from fat stores (equaling fat burning).

I wasn't aware of this research, but that sounds good.  It was just on a hunch that I decided to go about doing cardio the way I did this year.  I wanted to try it out and found that I liked it.

Could you direct me to this research; either post a link to it, or post the abstract.  Thanks.

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
  • Repent of Soy liberalism.
« Reply #357 on: July 23, 2007, 06:34:24 AM »
Very well done JROD! You definitely beat your previous best there (just as conditioned, yet more filled out) Awesome to see...You had all those guys on legs by far. Matched the guy with the Mohawk on arms, delts and had a narrower waist than him. The only place I see you improving on is your lats compared to him. (Please take this as a constructive crit.) My guess is the strength of your arms and shoulders are taking a lot of the work away from your back training. I don't think it's a exercise you are missing... you need to focus on the execution (stretch and contraction, pulling more from your baby finger) during back training to really activate those lats.i think Gary Strydom has a similar thing going on (overpowering arms/delt strength) This is nit picking put the other thing I can see needs focus is calves (which I know are stubborn as hell!) One tip which I’ve found has helped myself greatly is putting a 4-6 sec. pause at the bottom of each rep, it has really bought mine up considerably (Kind of eliminates the elastic recoil of the Achilles tendon)

Other wise again, well done! Conditioning could not have been better, you are really close now.

Krankenstein

• Getbig V
  • quit·ter : a person can't finish a task
« Reply #358 on: July 23, 2007, 07:39:24 AM »
I wasn't aware of this research, but that sounds good.  It was just on a hunch that I decided to go about doing cardio the way I did this year.  I wanted to try it out and found that I liked it.

Could you direct me to this research; either post a link to it, or post the abstract.  Thanks.

http://physorg.com/news103964322.html

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #359 on: July 23, 2007, 07:22:49 PM »
Very well done JROD! You definitely beat your previous best there (just as conditioned, yet more filled out) Awesome to see...You had all those guys on legs by far. Matched the guy with the Mohawk on arms, delts and had a narrower waist than him. The only place I see you improving on is your lats compared to him. (Please take this as a constructive crit.) My guess is the strength of your arms and shoulders are taking a lot of the work away from your back training. I don't think it's a exercise you are missing... you need to focus on the execution (stretch and contraction, pulling more from your baby finger) during back training to really activate those lats.i think Gary Strydom has a similar thing going on (overpowering arms/delt strength) This is nit picking put the other thing I can see needs focus is calves (which I know are stubborn as hell!) One tip which I’ve found has helped myself greatly is putting a 4-6 sec. pause at the bottom of each rep, it has really bought mine up considerably (Kind of eliminates the elastic recoil of the Achilles tendon)

Other wise again, well done! Conditioning could not have been better, you are really close now.

Thanks very much for the constructive criticism, Justin; I really appreciate it.  And, I agree with what you said, I could use some more development in, among other areas, lats and calves.  You might very well be right about the arms/delts overpowering.  Do you think it could be because I rarely use straps on back exercises?  I pretty much only use straps on deadlifts, barbell/dumbbell rows (not on pulldowns, cable rows, etc.).  Furthemore, I have only used straps the last 2-2.5 years.  As you mentioned, I'll try to focus on pulling from my pinky next time I train back and see how this feels.  Thanks!

While I'm on the subject of constructive criticism, if anyone else ( I know pobrecito and mwbbuilder have) would like to suggest areas I should improve upon and exercises/methods to do so, I would be very happy to read about it. 

Hope your prep is going well, Justin.  How many weeks out?

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
« Reply #361 on: July 24, 2007, 01:14:43 AM »
Thanks very much for the constructive criticism, Justin; I really appreciate it.  And, I agree with what you said, I could use some more development in, among other areas, lats and calves.  You might very well be right about the arms/delts overpowering.  Do you think it could be because I rarely use straps on back exercises?  I pretty much only use straps on deadlifts, barbell/dumbbell rows (not on pulldowns, cable rows, etc.).  Furthemore, I have only used straps the last 2-2.5 years.  As you mentioned, I'll try to focus on pulling from my pinky next time I train back and see how this feels.  Thanks!

While I'm on the subject of constructive criticism, if anyone else ( I know pobrecito and mwbbuilder have) would like to suggest areas I should improve upon and exercises/methods to do so, I would be very happy to read about it. 

Hope your prep is going well, Justin.  How many weeks out?

I was checking out some other photo's on Iron man and your lat spead is pretty good (Wide) so it may have something do with your actual posing in your year double bi (It almost looks like you pinch your scapular back and away from your rib cage, making you appear narrow,  instead of flairing them outwards and keeping them in line your rib cage )

Yeah could be, I use straps for all  back excercises and aside from the "pinky technique" try use my hand more  to pull with than actually grip onto the bar (if that makes sence) I train forarms on their own with a few sets on arms day, plus all the indirect work they get which is more than enough work for them.

My prep is going really well thanks and I'm pleased with where I'm at right now(I may take some pics this weekend and post them up...just 4 1/2 weeks to go! 11 cardios a week at the moment. Last night I tried what you did with your cardio (I did 3 sets of 5 minutes with a 3 minute break in between -Elliptical Machine,stepper then recumbant bike) I really like it too, and I think I'm going to do it that way from now on, my overall intensity was higher which is what it's all about.

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
« Reply #362 on: July 24, 2007, 08:09:10 AM »
Jeff just a few questions out of interest:

What was your lowest you took your calories leading up to the show? and what were your nutrient ratios? (grams of Protein, Carbs, fat)
How many days out did you stop doing cardio and weights training?

the final week how much did you carb up on each day? over how many days? and from what sources? ...did you do anything different in the last week that you thought made a difference, or did you use the same approach as last year?

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #363 on: July 24, 2007, 05:55:08 PM »

I was checking out some other photo's on Iron man and your lat spead is pretty good (Wide) so it may have something do with your actual posing in your year double bi (It almost looks like you pinch your scapular back and away from your rib cage, making you appear narrow,  instead of flairing them outwards and keeping them in line your rib cage )

Yeah could be, I use straps for all  back excercises and aside from the "pinky technique" try use my hand more  to pull with than actually grip onto the bar (if that makes sence) I train forarms on their own with a few sets on arms day, plus all the indirect work they get which is more than enough work for them.

My prep is going really well thanks and I'm pleased with where I'm at right now(I may take some pics this weekend and post them up...just 4 1/2 weeks to go! 11 cardios a week at the moment. Last night I tried what you did with your cardio (I did 3 sets of 5 minutes with a 3 minute break in between -Elliptical Machine,stepper then recumbant bike) I really like it too, and I think I'm going to do it that way from now on, my overall intensity was higher which is what it's all about.

Could be my posing, which has been mentioned to me before, but either way, I could use more development in the lower lats/ lats insertion area.  I'll wear straps and use your "pinky technique" next time I train back. 

Glad to hear your prep is going well.  Also glad to hear you liked that method of cardio.  I too felt that my overall intesity was higher, therefore making the session more effective/productive.  (also, it was a lot more fun).

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #364 on: July 24, 2007, 06:08:20 PM »

Jeff just a few questions out of interest:

What was your lowest you took your calories leading up to the show?
and what were your nutrient ratios? (grams of Protein, Carbs, fat)

At my lowest point, 2 weeks out, I was having about
Off Day: 365 Protein, 175 Carbs, 11 Fat = ~ 2,260
Training Day: 365P, 215C, 10F = ~2,400

How many days out did you stop doing cardio and weights training?
about a week out for cardio, and my last training day was Tuesday (show on Friday).  Though about the last 3 or 4 days were not to 100% failure
the final week how much did you carb up on each day? over how many days? and from what sources?
I gradually started carbing up on Sunday (GRADUALLY!).  Sources were the same foods I was eating minus the vegetables (just more of rice cakes, dextrose, oats)
 ...did you do anything different in the last week that you thought made a difference, or did you use the same approach as last year?
I used a similar approach as last year, however there were some minor differences:  I drank 5 gallons of water starting saturday until Wednesday.  On thursday(1 day out) I drank about 1.25 gallons, and friday and saturday I drank about 1 gallon (about 50 oz before stage, 80 oz after)

flexingtonsteele

• Competitors II
  • Getbig V
  • The new age pussy Punisher!
« Reply #365 on: July 24, 2007, 11:11:49 PM »
maybe try a bit less carbs and some more fat in ur diet, and I'd bet ud be even fuller on stage!.

Thats also pretty crazy how u dropped over 10lbs the night before the contest..........u must have been holding more water than an arabian camel!

Super Natural

• Getbig IV
« Reply #366 on: July 25, 2007, 01:44:51 AM »
thanks for the answers Jeff, that's very similar to what I do except my calories are a bit lower the last 2 weeks (1700 off day - 1900 training day) But then I'm slightly lighter Bodyweight- welter weight.

My fat intake is a slight bit more than yours, I get 20 grams of fish oil from caps - and 6 grams of CLA Plus 10-12 grams from my food - 36 grams total.
* The fish oils I've used this year has made a huge difference. better recovery (lower inflamation) more mentally sharpnes, leaner on my abs than usual (better insulin sensitivity) which I attribute to the extra fishoil.Even AST has upped the ratio of their heathy fat on their nutritional calculator...

http://www.ast-ss.com/asp/weight.asp

One thing I've done this year is to stay away from ephedrine, I think it's been a good call as I certain it causes adrenal fatigue/burnout if used too frequently you're are dieting hard and training a lot and use it when your already tired. I may use some in the last two weeks only as an emergency if I need it ( more to blunt hunger and give me mental sharpness for work if I'm feeling brain dead and under pressure at work.)

Did you use any stimulants at all?

Once again thanks for the answers  :)

mwbbuilder

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #367 on: July 25, 2007, 06:54:30 AM »
thanks for the answers Jeff, that's very similar to what I do except my calories are a bit lower the last 2 weeks (1700 off day - 1900 training day) But then I'm slightly lighter Bodyweight- welter weight.

My fat intake is a slight bit more than yours, I get 20 grams of fish oil from caps - and 6 grams of CLA Plus 10-12 grams from my food - 36 grams total.
* The fish oils I've used this year has made a huge difference. better recovery (lower inflamation) more mentally sharpnes, leaner on my abs than usual (better insulin sensitivity) which I attribute to the extra fishoil.Even AST has upped the ratio of their heathy fat on their nutritional calculator...

One thing I've done this year is to stay away from ephedrine, I think it's been a good call as I certain it causes adrenal fatigue/burnout if used too frequently you're are dieting hard and training a lot and use it when your already tired. I may use some in the last two weeks only as an emergency if I need it ( more to blunt hunger and give me mental sharpness for work if I'm feeling brain dead and under pressure at work.)

Isn't ephedrine illegal Mr. Super "Natural?

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #368 on: July 25, 2007, 08:50:27 AM »

shhhh, according to gh15 everything under 3g of test is natural.

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #369 on: July 25, 2007, 11:29:03 AM »

No problem, thats what this thread is for: asking questions, giving answers, sharing tips, etc.

Almost all the fats in my diet were from flax/fish oil pills.  I think next year I will try having a higher ratio of good fats when I diet (and this offseason I will have more good fats). 

As for stimulants, I did not use ephedrine.  I have never taken stimulants/fat burning supplements for the sake of getting lean; the only time I have/do take stimulants is before training for the energy boost.  Last year I would alternate between coffee and a caffeine based energy boosting supplement.  This year I did not take any of the pills; I just used coffee for my pre-workout energy boost.  And not because I wanted to avoid the caffeine/energy pills, rather I just really enjoyed my pre-workout iced coffees (being that Davis, CA is very hot in the summer (90-100 degrees) the cold drink is nice, and being that I was dieting the coffee would be like a treat). 

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #370 on: July 25, 2007, 03:25:45 PM »
j-rod you go to school in at Davis?
I live in sac and am always out at davis to practice with the wrestling team as well as hang out with alot of buds that go to school there.

Mat

• Getbig II
  • Wizard from Oz
« Reply #371 on: July 25, 2007, 05:41:02 PM »
I have increased my good fats also lately and started taking Myo-D the last 6 months and have also noticed the help it gives with recovery, and I also feel that I have made some of my best gains in the past few months.

Super Natural do you have any progress pics of how things are coming along? Would be interested in seeing them.

Thanks

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #372 on: July 25, 2007, 05:59:58 PM »
j-rod you go to school in at Davis?
I live in sac and am always out at davis to practice with the wrestling team as well as hang out with alot of buds that go to school there.

Yeah, I'm still here; but not for long.  I just graduated from UCD last quarter, so I'll be moving back to the Bay Area (San Francisco). 

You ever work out at the ARC?  Thats where I train. 

jrod

• Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #373 on: July 25, 2007, 06:01:23 PM »
I have increased my good fats also lately and started taking Myo-D the last 6 months and have also noticed the help it gives with recovery, and I also feel that I have made some of my best gains in the past few months.

Super Natural do you have any progress pics of how things are coming along? Would be interested in seeing them.

Thanks

Yeah, I second that. 

lilwoday09smb

• Getbig III
« Reply #374 on: July 25, 2007, 09:20:07 PM »
no I'm fairly new to the area and only get out there to wrestle, I'm training at golds gym in Laguna, its only a few months old, congrats on graduating thats a huge accomplishment.