Poll

Hogan
8 (47.1%)
Flair
9 (52.9%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Hogan or Flair?  (Read 9169 times)

mass 04

• Getbig V
Hogan or Flair?
« on: September 30, 2009, 07:55:05 PM »
Who do you prefer and why?

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
  • Call the vet, cause these pythons are sick!
Re: Hogan or Flair?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2009, 05:00:03 AM »
I think most already know the answer for me. 

Flair by a country mile.  I grew up watching Flair, even going to local HS gyms to see him in the Mid-Atlantic area...I was pretty young, but still the best wrestling memories for me.

To me he is the standard by which all wrestlers should be measured.  Excellent in ring, excellent on the mic, willing to put others over and did it all with probably the most grueling schedule of any wrestler ever.

Playboy

• Getbig V
  • If the bar ain't bending, you're just pretending
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2009, 05:05:10 AM »
I choose Hogan because in that epic battle of good versus bad, Flair being the hardcore heel and Hogan being the 80's face. It would have been a sick fued ending with Hogan winning the battle in a cage.

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2009, 07:46:05 AM »

To me he is the standard by which all wrestlers should be measured.  Excellent in ring, excellent on the mic, willing to put others over and did it all with probably the most grueling schedule of any wrestler ever.

That pretty much sums it up. No one has done more for the sport of wrestling over the years. Hogan did well for HOGAN and his little group of loosers but over than that I'd say it would be hard pressed to find someone Hogan helped over the years.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2009, 08:15:40 AM »
Flair is the man and will always be the man. I love his dvd's and always watch them. But what everyone forgets is that Hogan made wrestling what it is today. Hogan is the one who put wrestling on the map. You mention Hulk Hogan's name to anyone and everyone knows who he is including people who don't watch. I'm talking the eighties Hogan who the crowd adored. Not the washed up Hogan trying to tour or the disfunctional family Hogan.

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2009, 12:35:54 PM »
I don't think they can be compared. Hogan would beat Flair everyday of the week and twice on Sunday if they Wrestled. My opinion is that Flair will always be living in Hulksters shadow. I love Flair. But Hulkamania is immortal.

Seriously? Flair was/is a solid wrestler. Hogan has like four moves, the big boot, the leg drop, the finger shake, and "hulking up". Hogan had a good body and the fans loved him. Take that away and he would be wrestling at your local indy show.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2009, 12:37:39 PM »
Flair is the man and will always be the man. I love his dvd's and always watch them. But what everyone forgets is that Hogan made wrestling what it is today. Hogan is the one who put wrestling on the map. You mention Hulk Hogan's name to anyone and everyone knows who he is including people who don't watch. I'm talking the eighties Hogan who the crowd adored. Not the washed up Hogan trying to tour or the disfunctional family Hogan.

I agree.  And since I hate what it has become, that just makes me even more of a Flair guy. 

Hogan is responsible for larger paychecks, but Vince has to be given credit for that as well. 

How about this?.......Flair is the greatest wrestler of all-time.  Hogan is the greatest sports entertainer of all-time.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2009, 02:06:45 PM »
All around greatest wrestler ever? You sure it's Flair and not HBK? Shawn is the most complete wrestler ever. Only missing a submission move. After defeating Bret he should have kept the sharp shooter as his submission move. He's a high flyer. Best bump man second only to Foley. Can manipulate the crowd like no other as both heel and face. Has been in the most historic and ground breaking matches ever. He has held every single title known to man. Started at the very bottom and became one of the biggest superstars ever. Came back better then ever after a career ending injury. You could put him in any wrestling era and he would be a star. He's Mr. Wrestlemania. Plus I'd bet anything if he went to WCW like all those other guys. He would have soared! Although no one on planet Earth could have beat Hogan at Mania three. I'd say Flair is definitely a better wrestler then Hulkster. But no way Flair is better the Shawn. We all have a spot in our hearts for the Nature Boy. But lets call it like it is. Boy Toy is the best.

I love Michaels.  I would even put him a notch up on Flair for in-ring, but Flair killed him on the mic, which is certainly part of the equation.  Especially in the days with territories when a wrestler didn't have the exposure and had to "talk a good game" to get people interested who maybe had never seen him wrestler.  As for coming back from an injury, Flair was in a horrific plane crash early in his career and overcome it.

I guess when I talk about greatest wrestler ever, I mean all-around.  There are many arguments as to better in-ring, but when it's all taken into account I give Flair the nod.

Hulkster

• Getbig V
  • ND ran away from me
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2009, 02:23:59 PM »
I have to vote hogan.

Flower Boy Ran Away

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 02:40:31 PM »
I have to vote hogan.

Contractual obligation.  ;D

mass 04

• Getbig V
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 04:21:38 PM »
I voted Hogan, but they are very close. Wrestling ability wise, Flair is the winner although i think Hogan was underrated. Both had a good look Hogan was larger than life but Flair with the hair, robes, etc lived the character. I'd give Flair the edge on the mic, his promos in the 80's are timeless, Hogans promos were okay but a lot of them were too goofy. Flair is great but Hogan is pro wrestling in America. The first cross over star, an incredible draw. Hogan brought an energy that Flair can't duplicate.

leonp1981

• Getbig IV
  • mmmmm....
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2009, 05:29:09 PM »
I've stuck in another vote for Hogan.

What I liked about Flair was that he was all about the business.  Like others have said, he was fantastic in the ring and on the mic, he had charisma, and he could always tell a story.  He stayed and wrestled, arguably past his best, because he loved doing it.  And the send-off he got on RAW when he retired will never be repeated (except maybe for HHH  :-\).

The difference with Hogan is that he became bigger than wrestling, he transcended into an international star, and brought a whole new audience to the WWF.  He had the personality and the charisma to make people want to watch him, whether in the ring, on TV, in films, etc.  Vince struck gold with Hogan, and it made WWF the biggest company in the business.  As much as I like Flair, he just didn't have that impact.

And this:

Flair is the greatest wrestler of all-time.  Hogan is the greatest sports entertainer of all-time.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2009, 06:08:35 PM »
I've stuck in another vote for Hogan.

What I liked about Flair was that he was all about the business.  Like others have said, he was fantastic in the ring and on the mic, he had charisma, and he could always tell a story.  He stayed and wrestled, arguably past his best, because he loved doing it.  And the send-off he got on RAW when he retired will never be repeated (except maybe for HHH  :-\).

The difference with Hogan is that he became bigger than wrestling, he transcended into an international star, and brought a whole new audience to the WWF.  He had the personality and the charisma to make people want to watch him, whether in the ring, on TV, in films, etc.  Vince struck gold with Hogan, and it made WWF the biggest company in the business.  As much as I like Flair, he just didn't have that impact.

And this:

X2
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2009, 07:08:36 PM »
In ring yeah Micheals gets the nod over Flair. I could probably come up with more guys who were a better in ring performer. But like has been said above being the best of all time is not only about in ring because lets face it, thats not what its all about. Its about mic skills, staying on top, staying over with the fans or drawing heat, helping the sport. Flair brings so much to the table. Yeah Micheals is good, but years from now when people are still Whoooooing when someone does a chop in the corner Micheals won't be thought of.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 04:51:44 AM »
Hogan was / is wrestling. He drew more numbers back in the day right up into his HOF cerimony. He was on the cover of sports illustrated, 10 min standing ovations and selling out arenas night after night while all these "Johnny come lately's" where at home breast feeding. It didn't matter that he had "x" amount of moves in his repitiore. Fans LOVED him and paid top dollar to watch him main event against the local heel at the time. Look at WWE's top star John Cena. John Cena makes 1,700,000 dollars per year wrestling alone and yet he can't wrestle for shit but he can draw. That's the main thing.

Flair was totally amazing. The only reason why flair wasn't as popular as Hogan is because he wasn't marketed properly by JCP (Jim Crockett Promotions / NWA). He was a phenomenal wrestler and he wrestled every single top dog of every territory all over the world defeating that person. His ring promos to this day still take the cake. He drew all kinds for JCP at that time and made himself and alot of people around him very rich. Hogan had one thing that Flair didn't. Vince McMahon...and Flair admitted this himself on the Horseman DVD.

Shawn Michaels??? How did he get into this comparison?? Hogan is a Ferrari. Flair is a Lamborghini. Michael's is a suped up Mustang. Get my point? Comparing Michaels to Hogan & Flair is like comparing a diamond (Hogan & Flair) to horse manuer (Michaels). Seriously now  :-\. Althopugh he is argubly the best entertainer, he is also a heat score backstage. He never took orders, never listened, when he had to job ot other stars he flat out refused and he was known to throw tantrums back stage  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(.
All of a sudden he finds God and now. Please. Hogan & Flair would have 16,000 - 18,000 sellouts even at house shows. I went to one house show here in Toronto back in 1996 when Michaels was champion and a mere 6,000 people showed up to the arena and Toronto is a huge sports city especially for wrestling. Yes, Michaels is a great entertainer, he's put 100% in every one of his matches, is innovative in the ring, a great wrestler and the showstopper, but sorry folks, he's no Hogan or Flair.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2009, 05:25:20 AM »
Good points Playboy.  Like I've said, I think HBK is a better in-ring performer than Flair, and certainly Hogan, but he isn't equal to either of them in terms of career accomplishments, etc...  My favorite times of HBK are the early days of DX with him, HHH and Chyna.

One thought on Hogan.  His "character" was so reliant on always having to win/be invincible that I actually think it hurt his standing with hardcore wrestling fans over the years.  He very, very rarely jobbed, where Flair had no problem with it.  Partly because it didn't matter to Flairs "character."  He would just come out and say the other wrestler was better on that night, etc....  Hogan, in some ways, was a victim of his/Vince's character.  He obviously had the chops to make some good heel runs (his early AWA work was great) , but wasn't "allowed" to.

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2009, 06:08:12 AM »
Good points Playboy.  Like I've said, I think HBK is a better in-ring performer than Flair, and certainly Hogan, but he isn't equal to either of them in terms of career accomplishments, etc...  My favorite times of HBK are the early days of DX with him, HHH and Chyna.

One thought on Hogan.  His "character" was so reliant on always having to win/be invincible that I actually think it hurt his standing with hardcore wrestling fans over the years.  He very, very rarely jobbed, where Flair had no problem with it.  Partly because it didn't matter to Flairs "character."  He would just come out and say the other wrestler was better on that night, etc....  Hogan, in some ways, was a victim of his/Vince's character.  He obviously had the chops to make some good heel runs (his early AWA work was great) , but wasn't "allowed" to.
Very true Showstopper. Personally, I loved the eighties wrestling. Mind you it was a different time. It was a good guy versus bad guy with mr. right usually coming out on top. But people loved that. Back then, to make Hogan lose was unheard of as he was the mega baby face hero. Look at what it attracted. 93,173 people at the pontiac silver dome for Hogan versus Andre at WM3. But it finally happened on feb 5th 1988 when the two twin Hebner refs screwed him over with Ted DiBiase & Andre. The only time I remember Flair jobbing was to lose the world title to another star such as Harley Race, Dusty Rhodes & Ricky Steamboat but he would win it back shortly after. 

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2009, 07:59:47 AM »
HBK has more career accomplishments then both Hogan and Flair combined. HBK RETIRED FLAIR! No one has had a career that even comes close to Shawn.
Ha ha ha ha ha  ;D Talk about information, mis-information, mis-interpretation.

How do you figure? Hogan has been wrestling since the mid seventies, all over the world and won more titles then you can shake a stick at. Hogan put wrestling on the map while HBK was at home being breast fed.

Flair has been wrestling since 1970, all over the world, has more title reigns then every wrestler today put together, and as taken Kayfabe to a whole new level.

Michael's "retired" Flair....only in Kayfabe. He is still actively wrestling in other smaller territories. He just finshed a match recently with ROH and he is one of the guys on Hogan's new tour wrestling in Australia.

indie-lad

• Getbig IV
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 04:07:43 AM »
Hogan was / is wrestling. He drew more numbers back in the day right up into his HOF cerimony. He was on the cover of sports illustrated, 10 min standing ovations and selling out arenas night after night while all these "Johnny come lately's" where at home breast feeding. It didn't matter that he had "x" amount of moves in his repitiore. Fans LOVED him and paid top dollar to watch him main event against the local heel at the time. Look at WWE's top star John Cena. John Cena makes 1,700,000 dollars per year wrestling alone and yet he can't wrestle for shit but he can draw. That's the main thing.

Flair was totally amazing. The only reason why flair wasn't as popular as Hogan is because he wasn't marketed properly by JCP (Jim Crockett Promotions / NWA). He was a phenomenal wrestler and he wrestled every single top dog of every territory all over the world defeating that person. His ring promos to this day still take the cake. He drew all kinds for JCP at that time and made himself and alot of people around him very rich. Hogan had one thing that Flair didn't. Vince McMahon...and Flair admitted this himself on the Horseman DVD.

Shawn Michaels??? How did he get into this comparison?? Hogan is a Ferrari. Flair is a Lamborghini. Michael's is a suped up Mustang. Get my point? Comparing Michaels to Hogan & Flair is like comparing a diamond (Hogan & Flair) to horse manuer (Michaels). Seriously now  :-\. Althopugh he is argubly the best entertainer, he is also a heat score backstage. He never took orders, never listened, when he had to job ot other stars he flat out refused and he was known to throw tantrums back stage  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(  :'(.
All of a sudden he finds God and now. Please. Hogan & Flair would have 16,000 - 18,000 sellouts even at house shows. I went to one house show here in Toronto back in 1996 when Michaels was champion and a mere 6,000 people showed up to the arena and Toronto is a huge sports city especially for wrestling. Yes, Michaels is a great entertainer, he's put 100% in every one of his matches, is innovative in the ring, a great wrestler and the showstopper, but sorry folks, he's no Hogan or Flair.

Amen. You cannot argue the legend that is Hogan and Flair. It's them and then everyone else that ever came in the history of wrestling. Anyone who doesn't see this knows nothing about wrestling.

All Time

1. Hulk Hogan
2. Ric Flair

3. Everyone else

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2009, 03:24:06 PM »
Could Flair carry the federation? You're kidding right?  Has HBK ever been the main event on a card with 190,000 people in attendance as Flair was in 1995 in N. Korea?  OPf course Flair could have been the flag bearer for the WWF during that time period.  Hell, to settle the whole thing ask HBK....we KNOW who he thinks the greatest of all time is....and I'll take his word for it.  Besides, you've admitted hardly watching anything other than the WWF, especially during the 80's, which was Flair's prime, so I don't think you can be objective.

cobra_4

• Getbig II
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2009, 03:51:04 PM »
Could Flair carry the federation? You're kidding right?  Has HBK ever been the main event on a card with 190,000 people in attendance as Flair was in 1995 in N. Korea?  OPf course Flair could have been the flag bearer for the WWF during that time period.  Hell, to settle the whole thing ask HBK....we KNOW who he thinks the greatest of all time is....and I'll take his word for it.  Besides, you've admitted hardly watching anything other than the WWF, especially during the 80's, which was Flair's prime, so I don't think you can be objective.
Quoted for the truth.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2009, 06:06:16 PM »
I didn't need to watch anything else because I had Hulkamania! Superstars, TNT, Saturday nights main event. I go to Korea town if I want Korean food. I could care less about North Korea. Thats like Big Foot to me. It's a story I always hear but I've never seen it. I was on Long Island watching Hulk Hogan. Every single time he came to Nassau Coliseum and MSG I went. Hogans the best no doubt. Now if the 80's was Flairs prime? Where was he at when he joined the Federation? With Bobby and Perfect? Where was he at when he interferred with the Taker/Hogan match causing Hogan to loose? Where was he at when he drew #1 in the RR and won the heavyweight title? I never knew Flair had a prime??? Hogan had a prime. But HBK and Flair never did because they're that great. Flair just had a longer career. Better on the mic. WWF Flair is one of my favorites. But nothing will make me think otherwise that HBK is better. Flair might of set the standard. HBK just raised the bar. There's only been one Federation for Chef Tim. The WWE for life!

How much stock do you own in the WWE, Tim?  hahaha  You are a dedicated fan, no doubt.  But I think that also hurts you in evaluating Flair, Hogan and HBK.  You never watched them outside of the WWF, so you have only watched part of their careers.

Every wrester has a prime, just like every athlete.  Hogan's and Flair's were the 80's....HBK the 90's.  Doesn't mean they all weren't great outside those decades, it just means that is what is widely considered their best years. 

Thin Lizzy

• Getbig V
  • It’s all a fraud
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2009, 08:49:07 PM »
This is Ric Flair in his prime:

Playboy

• Getbig V
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 04:42:47 AM »
Could Flair have carried the Federation like HBK did? Keep it afloat like HBK did? Time and place for everything. What would a Hogan/Andre match draw at a 2010 Mania main event??? I got news for you all. HBK climbed to the top and stayed on the top during the most competitive era in Wrestling. Last time I checked? He's still on top! Hulk Hogan is probably the only person on planet earth I would be star struck by. That guy was my hero. He was such a tremendous impact on my life. I love that guy with all of my heart. But if it wasn't for the NWO he was completely done. Now like every rehabilited druggy and ex con. They find God. Thats what happened to HBK. Did he surpass Hogan? Nobody ever will. Did he surpass Flair? How can anyone say he didn't? Flair beats him mic wise. But other then that Shawn is better then him. If Shawn went to WCW like all the rest of the guys. Do you think Shawn would have soared or sank? Yeah me too. He would have soared. The reason being is because he's the best.
For starters, HBK never carried the federation. As I recall, he burned out and needed "to find his smile", aka, I can't handle the pressure / aka, I don't want to job to anyone and popped pills left, right & centre. It was the Undertaker. Undertaker was the biggest star the fed had at the time during the dark underbelly when they were getting crushed in the ratings by WCW. Undertaker headlined every single show. Had Michaels gone to WCW he would have sank like the titanic. Why? WWE owns all the rights to his "Heartbreak Kid" gimmick, his music and basically his livelyhood. He would have never kept up with the NWO angle even if his life depended on it. The NWO was the biggest thing going back then. He made a wise choicwe sticking to the fed. WWE was suffering and he was the big fish in a small pond. The bottom line is that Hogan & Flair paved the way for everyone else in the business.

The Showstoppa

• Getbig V
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 05:02:45 AM »
This is Ric Flair in his prime:

Incredible promo.  I laugh when people think the Rock, Austin, etc... can even come close to those type of promos.  Complete kayfabe and has the crowd eating out of his hand the whole time.  Whooooooooooooooo  !!!