Author Topic: Was Steeve Reeves really natural?  (Read 19749 times)

myseone

• Getbig III
Re: Was Steeve Reeves really natural?
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2006, 08:38:04 PM »
Reeves was extremely gifted as a bodybuilder. Besides good size for a drug free bodybuilder he had very good proportion and shape, things that can't be built with drugs (especially shape). What has happened nowadays is not good, most people will not look like Reeves by a long shot and he was natural (highly likely). Now you have 300lb men fairly ripped, how is todays novice bodybuilder supposed to get there without the drugs.

The physiques of today in most cases are so far removed from what a natural, fit, muscular, well proportioned physique is supposed to look like.

The average gifted drug free natural bodybuilder at a height of 5 ft 10 in with single digit bodyfat would be hard pressed to make it past 200lbs (give or take a few lbs) without drugs. Today some people call that look a swimmers build, thats really crazy.

I did'nt grow up in the days of Reeves, but I'm sure the lifestyle was a lot healthier for the athletes back then. Not to mention probably more accepted, juding from the many bodybuilders who were included in film and tv.

It would be nice to go back to that time.

Nathan

• Getbig III
  • 5'11 185 lbs
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2006, 08:07:31 AM »
Reeves was extremely gifted as a bodybuilder. Besides good size for a drug free bodybuilder he had very good proportion and shape, things that can't be built with drugs (especially shape). What has happened nowadays is not good, most people will not look like Reeves by a long shot and he was natural (highly likely). Now you have 300lb men fairly ripped, how is todays novice bodybuilder supposed to get there without the drugs.

The physiques of today in most cases are so far removed from what a natural, fit, muscular, well proportioned physique is supposed to look like.

The average gifted drug free natural bodybuilder at a height of 5 ft 10 in with single digit bodyfat would be hard pressed to make it past 200lbs (give or take a few lbs) without drugs. Today some people call that look a swimmers build, thats really crazy.

I did'nt grow up in the days of Reeves, but I'm sure the lifestyle was a lot healthier for the athletes back then. Not to mention probably more accepted, juding from the many bodybuilders who were included in film and tv.

It would be nice to go back to that time.

Ya it would be maybe after Por BB shoots it's self in the foot enough we'll see those days again!
P

DK II

• Getbig V
  • Call me 4 steroids: 571-332-2588 or 571-249-4163
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2006, 03:38:22 AM »
I have heard this debate on many boards about Steve Reeves.  He looked good at 15.  Was he juicing in the 30's? He looked good his whole life until cancer stole his health.  To question if he was juicing during world war II when he was nick named the Shape by fellow soldiers is bizarre.  To also think his physique is attainable is also beyond crazy.  Please show me the pictures.  Juicers always want to take credit for their steroid physique.  In reality how many top pros both women and men look like they couldn't win a Mr. Idaho contest off steroids.  Can you say 100%. How many muscleless women look like male bodybuilder when they take steroids?  How many pros look like hell 5 months off the juice?  Reeves will always define bodybuilding for me.  The steroid fans will always say he was a user to justify their use.  They will cry that no one could look that good without a syringe. 

good post!

MisterGX

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2006, 10:30:21 PM »
it's stupid to say he used steroids because the guy stopped competing when he was 24! after that he never got bigger or better.

Actually, he did get better for the Hercules & Hercules Unchained movies.  He was actually more cut than when he won the Mr. Universe.  Did he use steroids?  Who really cares?  I don't.  All I know was that his physique was one of the influences in myself getting involved with bodybuilding.  Reeves really did look like a Greek god. 

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2006, 12:29:36 PM »
No I don't think he looked better for Hercules. He didn't have any legs in that movie.

MisterGX

• Getbig IV
  • Getbig!
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2006, 09:04:14 PM »
No I don't think he looked better for Hercules. He didn't have any legs in that movie.

Remember he was wearing a loin cloth, not swim trunks.  His condition was better than when he competed, as his body matured over the 7 years after the Universe win.

alexxx

• Getbig V
  • Don't hate..
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2006, 09:09:13 PM »
How would a 15 year old Reeves do in mr.Getbig contest?
just push some weight!

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2006, 09:56:23 PM »
steve reeves looks like adonis. ....a.k.a your everyday gym rat.

why all the praise?
d[-_-]b actin all cool

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2006, 01:17:10 PM »
that's because you have a tiny brain candidate.

candidate2025

• Getbig IV
  • chillin out relaxing
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2006, 09:42:13 PM »
that's because you have a tiny brain candidate.
lol.    hold on....what is your net worth, and your age?

not trying to be mean...but dont come at me and expect me to sit idle while a weaker man appears superior.
d[-_-]b actin all cool

jonno gb

• Competitors II
  • Getbig III
  • Getbig!
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2006, 02:16:07 AM »
Why all the praise-cos Steve Reeves is an all time great.One of the most symettrical bodybuilders of all time and a true legend.Come on-give some credit where it is due!

gibberj2

• Getbig IV
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2006, 01:45:25 PM »
and you are? if you dont understand the big deal about reeves that's case and point in itself.

DVSGOD

• Time Out
  • Getbig III
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2006, 08:56:31 PM »
According to Bob Kennedy who was very close to Steve , Reeves did use as with the majority of the old timers but who cares if they did?

They took nowhere the amount of stuff the guys take today.

Testosterone has been around alot longer than you think ,Hitler used it on his troops who were stationed on The Russian front during WW2.
Dinabol came on the scene in the  mid 50s but Dinabol was born from other compounds remember.

For you "Natural" guys out there jumping up and down , try training as Steeve did 3 times a week full body 2-3 exercises per bodypart at high intensity coupled with bike riding up hills for calf/leg work ,follow steves diet then report back here with your progress and tell me he didnt use some sort of chemical support.