Author Topic: Institutionalized Spying on Americans  (Read 679 times)

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
Institutionalized Spying on Americans
« on: January 22, 2008, 07:41:00 PM »
This article reviews two police state tools (among many in use) in America. One is new, undiscussed and largely unknown to the public. The other was covered in a December article by this writer called Police State America. Here it's updated with new information.

The National Applications Office (NAO)

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) established a new domestic spying operation in 2007 called the National Applications Office (NOA) and described it as "the executive agent to facilitate the use of intelligence community technological assets for civil, homeland security and law enforcement purposes within the United States." The office was to begin operating last fall to "build on the long-standing work of the Civil Applications Committee (CAC), which was created in 1974 to facilitate the use of the capabilities of the intelligence community for civil, non-defense uses in the United States."

With or without congressional authorization or oversight, the executive branch is in charge and will let NAO use state-of-the-art technology, including military satellite imagery, to spy on Americans without their knowledge. Implementation is delayed, however, after Committee on Homeland Security Chairman, Bennie Thompson, and other committee members raised questions of "very serious privacy and civil liberties concerns." In response, DHS agreed to delay operating (officially) until all matters are addressed and resolved.

Given its track record post-9/11, expect little more than pro forma posturing before Congress signs off on what Kate Martin, the director of the Center for National Security Studies, calls "Big Brother in the Sky" and a "police state" in the offing.

cont... http://counterpunch.org/lendman01172008.html

headhuntersix

• Getbig V
  • Our forefathers would be shooting by now
Re: Institutionalized Spying on Americans
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 07:43:04 PM »
I have  ;Da virtual arsenal at home..I go where I want and do anything i want...nobody bothers me...what the hella re u so worried about. More CT crap from paranoid nuts. And should it tunr out ur right, Ill be able to defend myslef. U'll be fine.
L

Hugo Chavez

• Getbig V
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 08:06:54 PM »
classic yet again, so classic....

War-Horse

• Getbig V
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 08:23:00 PM »
I have  ;Da virtual arsenal at home..I go where I want and do anything i want...nobody bothers me...what the hella re u so worried about. More CT crap from paranoid nuts. And should it tunr out ur right, Ill be able to defend myslef. U'll be fine.

I think most of us have guns and ammo....were american  ;D   But you jsut have to be aware of situations and motives around you...this administration has the worst track record with most americans..(28% for pres)and thats been continuous for awhile.

You seem to turn a blind eye towards what your govt does, and say "Well it isnt my problem"    The point is it could be soon, sleep with one eye open or die trusting.