Author Topic: Oldtimer1  (Read 422149 times)

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
Re: Oldtimer1
« Reply #825 on: December 20, 2019, 02:36:14 PM »
This is all good news and advice. All of which I am okay with including not trying to do the same stuff I once did when I was younger. My goals are different then they were when I was in my 30's, 40's, 50's and 60's.

Goals change as they should regarding training as  we age. I asked Bill Pearl if he was training at his advanced age? He told me he was training to retain his ability to wipe his ass on his own.  That gave me a laugh.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #826 on: December 21, 2019, 06:34:17 PM »
No training today. Went out to our favorite Italian restaurant owned by an Italian family. Every seat in the place was taken within 5 minutes of opening the doors.  Tonight we drank a bottle of  red from Italy with a nice seafood dish with  Marechiara sauce. Giant shrimp, clams, mussels and squid over linguine. Finished with a hot chocolate volcano with gelato. My blonde Italian wife never looked better by the flicking candle light of the restaurant table.

Came home and was drinking some German beer when the door bell rang and there were about 15 kid carolers at the door.  A really good night.  Life is good. Trained hard for five days in a row from Monday to Friday. Enjoying this weekend off. Going to have cocktails tomorrow too.

Tomorrow my daughter and her husband are celebrating Christmas. She is an intensive care nurse and he is a cop. Both will be working Christmas eve and Christmas. We get two  Christmases this year. Our grand daughter will get gifts on both days.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #827 on: December 23, 2019, 04:28:07 PM »
Back and chest day:

Trained at home. Blasted music of my liking from satellite radio. I really do have a great set up at home. Always been a home trainer for the most part though I do mix in commercial gyms. The past three years the majority of my training has been in a commercial gym.

Pulldowns 2 x 10 ( Upright back with no lean back. It limits weight but I feel it more in the lats than the lean back version)
Seated pulley lat rows 2 x 12 170lbs ( I go all the way out and back.)
Single dumbbell row with knee on bench 2 x 10 85lbs Dead hang and all the way up.)
Reverse grip pulldowns 2 x 10

Dumbbell flat bench 2 x 8 75lbs. (tweaked my shoulder picking up a rug shampoo machine with my out stretched arm. I used a relatively light weight but made it heavy by going full range and a controlled cadence)
Incline dumbbell bench 2 x 8 65lbs ( Again I made light weight heavy with my sore shoulder)
Flat flies 2 x 10 50bs (got a good stretch but judging by the throbbing of my delt it was a mistake)
Push ups 2 x max (regular and the second set I used my perfect pushup handles. They give a greater range of motion and it's true it lets your hand rotate the way they want which is safer in my view)

Deadlifts 2 x 4 315lbs. (Wanted to start increasing the weight for these. I know I could use a lot more but when combined with hard running my hip has been throbbing a bit at night. Made the weight heavier by going slow on the negative.)
Weighted hyper extensions 2 x 15 25lbs plate behind my head

Ab wheel roll out 2 x 22
Floor crunches 1 x 50 5lbs plate behind my head and heels on a bench.

Thinking as I age I have to start thinking about joint health and longevity in this game. Hope I can exercise into old age but in order to that I have to make sure I don't break the machine (body) by damaging it with too much exercise.

I have been reading almost every thing Clarence Bass has written. He really has an incredibly knowledge concerning training. Yes, I know he's a little guy but that his genetics and not his training. He's still lifting at 83.  He has had two hip replacements among other health issues that he is completely honest revealing. He had stopped squatting and deadlifting in his older years. I assume that goes for the Olympic lifts.

I have stopped through the years doing many exercises. Press behind the neck that I have used for over 40 years with zero problems has been out for years. My personal opinion is that it's not bad for shoulders. If you have poor shoulder flexibility it does have the potential for injuring and causing tears. I can't do it anymore. Always did my sets from my traps to full extension with over 135lbs. Now if I use 125lbs my shoulders will ache.  Again I think it's lack of flexibility. The military press and the dumbbell press are my shoulder pressing movements.

My shoulders and pec tie in ache after chest day.  Thinking about going to the barbell incline, weighted dips and push ups as my chest exercises.  I'll see how that works out. The three chest exercises mentioned don't seem to bother my shoulders. I think the key as you age is to discard or even just rotate exercises to stop the wear and tear.

Overall I feel I look good and I vainly say I get compliments on my build. No, I'm not a bodybuilder and could never place third in a  Mr. Podunk contest.  Hopefully I will avoid the surprise heart attack that afflicts so many my age. I worked with three guys who were gym rats that died working out. Two were running and one was lifting. One of the guys that died while running had a prior heart attack. The two runners were in their 40's and the lifter in his late 50's. Another guy I worked with had a heart attack while lifting when he was around 62.  He made it. Still bikes and lifts but he has a ton of orthopedic problems. Hip and knee replacements. He's about 65 now.

Anyway, tomorrow is cardio day. I hope I live.   ;D

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #828 on: December 23, 2019, 08:09:40 PM »
I couldn't stop myself. Afraid my leg muscles would completely atrophy, I did bodyweight leg work last night. Leg extensions, toe touches for hams and lunges for quads. My leg muscles are alive today.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #829 on: December 24, 2019, 11:14:59 AM »
Didn't get my cardio day in.  Watching the grand daughter and Christmas Eve is here. I will get my leg workout in on Christmas day though.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #830 on: December 24, 2019, 11:20:51 AM »
Didn't get my cardio day in.  Watching the grand daughter and Christmas Eve is here. I will get my leg workout in on Christmas day though.

It's almost time for you to get into your Santa outfit.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #831 on: December 26, 2019, 07:27:29 PM »
Leg day: Prime I didn't know Santa was a lady man using gloves to lift.

Leg press 2 x 12
Squats 2 x 12
Stiff leg dead 2 x 6
leg extension 2 x 20
Seated leg curl 2 x 15

Single dumbbell side bend 1 x 15
Hanging straight leg raise 2 x 22
Hip ups on the floor 1 x 25

Leg press calf raise 2 x 25
Seated calf raise 2 x 15

Neck work: One set each side

Gym Notes: Completely spent from Christmas, family, drinking and other factors. This leg workout was hard because I felt spent going in. Glad I gutted it out.It's done. Tomorrow is delt and arms.

Haven't done leg press calf raises for awhile. They really feel like donkey calf raises. I'm always afraid my feet will slip and the weight will come crashing down. I know some have an ideal leg length and can do them with the weight holder unmoved. I have to open the weight holder. I get good reps and couple of burns at the end. Felt dizzy after some sets during this leg day routine. I attribute it to exhaustion.

As good as squats are I think the leg press when properly used have been the reason for the improvement in thigh development we have seen in pro bodybuilders today. Look at guys like Yates, Paul Dillette and so many more. The 45 degree leg press has been responsible for the incredible thighs we see today in my opinion. Yes, Tom Platz from the 80's had incredible thighs from squatting and the hack machine. The problem with leg press machines are some are built fantastic and some you wonder if the guy that designed it ever used it in training.

I truly have never dieted for for more than a week in my life. I think it's time to begin. I'm not fat but I could really use to lose 15lbs to get that lean look I want.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #832 on: December 27, 2019, 11:36:30 AM »
Delt and arms:  I dreaded this day since I hurt my delt last week picking up a carpet cleaner with my out stretched arm to clear some stuff in the garage. I have been lifting for 45 plus years. I was a sprinter in high school and college. Also did other athletic things like boxing and a ton of training for my job. That's a lot of wear and tear. Ugh.  

Clean and press 2 x 8 (Hurt but not excessively.)
Dumbbell delt press standing 1 x 10
Dumbbell delt laterals 2 x 10
Machine delt laterals 2 x 10
Dumbbell rear delt  laterals 2 x 10
Front barbell raise for front delts 1 x 10
Upright row 1 x 10
Barbell shrugs 2 x 10

Seated two hand single dumbbell behind the heat tricep extension 2 x 12
Traditional tricep pushdowns 2 x 12
Single dumbbell behind the head 1 x 10
Reverse grip one arm tricep extensions 1 x 12

Alternate dumbbell curls 2 x 8
Concentration curls 2 x 12
Machine curls 2 x 10
Pulley curls 1 x 10

Wrist curls 2 x 25
Reverse grip pulley curls 2 x 12

ab coaster 1 x 40
Ab crunch machine 2 x 22

Left gym and my shoulder is screaming. Ugh. Took a prescription anti inflammatory. Feel better as I type. The gym was packed. College and high school are off as well as new year resolution people. In three weeks they should all be gone.  I hate a packed gym. I'm friendly with people but I mainly keep to myself and get the job done.  The women like to talk to me. Maybe I give off a lonely vibe. I'm there to do work and not be a social mixer type guy. Thinking at this age with wear and tear I should be training for volume with moderate weight to tire out the muscle through endurance exhaustion rather than through strength exhaustion if that makes sense to the reader. Do I have any readers?   ;D

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #833 on: December 30, 2019, 04:08:35 PM »
Got on the scale today and I hit 200lbs at 5'8". I think I look good but too heavy. No one would ever call me fat. I've have been training really consistently for three years with very little time off. Going to add some diet changes after New Years eve.

IroNat

• Getbig V
  • Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.
« Reply #834 on: December 31, 2019, 04:23:43 AM »

The Scott

• Getbig V
  • I'm a victim of soicumcision!!
« Reply #835 on: December 31, 2019, 04:43:14 AM »
Yes.

X2

I read both of your threads.  It gives me inspiration and if I may be so "sensitive",  ;D hope. Thanks, lads!

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #836 on: December 31, 2019, 06:50:15 AM »
Have your wife take a few pics of you in your skivvies, front, back, sides.

Then you can really see what you look like.

My wife took a few pics of me on the beach a couple years ago and I was amazed how heavy I looked.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #837 on: December 31, 2019, 09:20:02 AM »
Have your wife take a few pics of you in your skivvies, front, back, sides.

Then you can really see what you look like.

My wife took a few pics of me on the beach a couple years ago and I was amazed how heavy I looked.

I live by the beach so I have pictures. I look good. Am I super lean? No.  Taking a week off. Letting my body heal up. No running and no lifting.  I never take time off and I think it will do me good.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #838 on: December 31, 2019, 04:53:01 PM »
Got on the scale today and I hit 200lbs at 5'8". I think I look good but too heavy. No one would ever call me fat. I've have been training really consistently for three years with very little time off. Going to add some diet changes after New Years eve.

I measured my height this morning and it appears I've continued to shrink. My height was 69". My weight this morning was 174 lbs. If I could move some weight (probably more fat than muscle) from my waist and back to my legs I'd be very happy or maybe not. I never seem to be satisfied with my appearance. Time to get serious about going to the gym.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #839 on: January 04, 2020, 04:18:56 PM »
The great experiment begins Monday. I'm finally doing it. Going to do volume with moderate weights for awhile. If the experiment fails it's back to low sets to failure.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #840 on: January 04, 2020, 04:37:02 PM »
The great experiment begins Monday. I'm finally doing it. Going to do volume with moderate weights for awhile. If the experiment fails it's back to low sets to failure.

If you stick with it, you will see success.

chaos

• Getbig V
  • Ron "There is no freedom of speech here" Avidan
« Reply #841 on: January 05, 2020, 08:03:44 AM »
#metoo. Until the end of January. Then it's back to heavy weight/low reps.
Liar!!!!Filt!!!!

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #842 on: January 05, 2020, 09:37:28 AM »
Just don't overdo it.

When you change your routine you do things you are not used to and you can injure yourself.

You might want to start easy, light weight, a set or two only per exercise, until you acclimate. 

Take a week or two before you ramp it up.  Add weight and sets gradually.

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #843 on: January 05, 2020, 06:41:17 PM »
#metoo. Until the end of January. Then it's back to heavy weight/low reps.

How old are you now? There comes a time when it is a good idea to change things up permanently. Nobody will think the worse of you if your not hefting around those big boys.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #844 on: January 06, 2020, 12:28:55 PM »
Trained back and chest. I had to make changes in weight due to my grinding shoulder that decided to give me grief about two weeks ago. It's grinding. Getting old stinks. I lightened up my chest weights. For a long time I got by with using dumbbells. While they hurt a lot less than the barbell bench getting them into position and ending the exercise can cause trauma. Saw an interesting bar for bench where is has several hands facing position. It might be something I will invest in.

I've been lifting for 47 years. That's a lot of where and tear among my other athletic abuse on my body.  My son in law weighs about 310 and practices jui jitsu. My other daughter is engaged to a guy that rolls on the mats 5 days a week. They both want to grapple with me saying I'm in great shape. Nope I have incredible mileage on my 61 year old body. They complain about the injuries they get from fighting and they are in their early 30's. Nope, my days of fighting are over.

If I had to do it over again I would use nothing but body weight and running.  Maybe I would have arrived in better shape minus the dents and scratches.

Anyway this is picture of the bar I'm thinking of getting for benching. Maybe it will give me another 10 years of legit hard core training.

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #845 on: January 07, 2020, 09:59:13 AM »
Cardio: 8 x quarter miles (440 yards or 400 meters) Fastest in 7:14 minute pace or 8.3 MPH. Hit the heavy bag after. With my shoulder giving me grief I felt I wasn't hitting the bag 100% with that arm. Pissing me off.

IroNat

• Getbig V
« Reply #846 on: January 07, 2020, 02:47:29 PM »
Are you doing your volume routine?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #847 on: January 07, 2020, 03:13:52 PM »
I don’t want to aggravate my shoulder so I put it off.  Using moderate weight for anything that might aggravate it. I figure doing a lot of sets would not be a prudent move right now.  (Had to change this post. Can't type on a phone)

Primemuscle

• Getbig V
« Reply #848 on: January 07, 2020, 06:47:40 PM »
I don’t want to aggravate my shoulder so I put it off.  Using moderate weight for anything that might aggravate it. I figure doing a lot of sets would not be a prudent move right now.  (Had to change this post. Can't type on a phone)

Well it sure wouldn't be prudent to use heavy weights doing shoulder work or any other exercise you think might aggravate it. May stick to arms, legs and abs for awhile until the shoulder gets better. Are you icing it or using heat?

oldtimer1

• Getbig V
  • Getbig!
« Reply #849 on: January 07, 2020, 08:06:53 PM »
Well it sure wouldn't be prudent to use heavy weights doing shoulder work or any other exercise you think might aggravate it. May stick to arms, legs and abs for awhile until the shoulder gets better. Are you icing it or using heat?

Neither, using prescription anti inflammatory medicine. Might see the orthopedic surgeon. I know a good one. If you don't need an operation he will not push it unlike 99% of ortho guys. Just hate the whole MRI thing. Then again if something is broken it's the only way to to see soft tissue damage. Last time with the other delt he shot it with cortisone and it gave me enough relief so I could train again.